• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 7 |OT| - The Green Green Grass of Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colasante

I'm happy to see the Chiefs having some success but I don't believe for a second that they can keep this up. I still expect them to lose at least 5 games and I don't think they'll go far in the playoffs. Regardless, it'll be a great first step if they can manage that, and anything more will be gravy.

I don't think they're incapable of achieving everything that the 2011 49ers team did, like getting into the playoffs with a 12-4 or 13-3 record and embarrassing themselves when they're forced to actually play offense against a real opponent.

I didn't like it. It felt better than the DS3 for sure, but still not great. It felt cheap and the weight felt off too, but I'm not sure if it's the final version.

The Xbone controller felt better, but too light as well.

I think the 360's controller is just perfect in terms of size, ergonomics and weight. I wonder why Microsoft would even try to change it.

I can see the DS4 being changed up cuz the DS3 sucks. Hope this new one is much better now.

Fox318

deal. but no weird cartoon crap

7MnNUtpm.jpg

I think the 360's controller is just perfect in terms of size, ergonomics and weight. I wonder why Microsoft would even try to change it.

Aye. I'm glad Microsoft has made everything sync up so nicely on the PC for us Steam users. I have a PS3 plugged in downstairs but practically never play it. The Dualshock is not very ergonomic or fun to use by comparison.

I hope the new XBone controller holds up, because I'll gladly transition to that for Steam use.

Making the playoffs (and I would have laughed if you brought that up before the season started) is pretty much a foregone conclusion. The Chiefs have made the playoffs eleven times in my life. ELEVEN. I've been watching them play since I was a youngster in the mid-80s, so this is a pretty big deal for KC fans.

What I'm hoping is that we can win a ONE damn playoff game. Nine of those eleven playoff appearances ended in a first round exit. One and done.

We haven't won a playoff game since 1993. You know, the Joe Montana and Marcus Allen team. That team was defensive focused, with Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas eating people alive. Our defense today looks eerily similar in skill and the carnage they're creating. Maybe Jamaal Charles is our Marcus Allen? Highly unlikely that Alex Amith becomes our Joe Montana.

Forecast: first round exit. :/
A first round exit would be disappointing but I guess you have to try and look at the big picture. Like you said, before this season you wouldn't have even entertained the thought of the playoffs, so if nothing else this season should end up a big step in the right direction. I definitely think that's worth something. Plus, with the playoffs you just never know.

They remind me of the 08 dolphins, good defense, mistake free offense. Hopefully it turns out differently for them though..
There are definitely some similarities. The big differences I see are that Andy Reid is much more of a proven coach than Tony Sparano and the Chiefs have more talent on offense. Both offenses had/have a ceiling primarily determined by nonexplosive QB's that played to not lose, though (Pennington and Smith).

Overall I think the Chiefs are a better team than the '08 Dolphins but I could see their seasons having very similar endings.

EDIT: Now I can't stop thinking about that stupid Ed Reed pick six. Poor noodle arm, he tried so hard. :(

Greg

You unappreciative bastard!

TbxJ6bC.png
:jnc

I don't control that or else I'd accept anything!

and I'd rather someone type 0 in anyways if it's the difference between streaming it at 128k and getting it in good quality (gapless tracks, better dynamic range)

Miguel

:jnc

I don't control that or else I'd accept anything!

and I'd rather someone type 0 in anyways if it's the difference between streaming it at 128k and getting it in good quality (gapless tracks, better dynamic range)

If Keenum wins I'll pay up 7 bucks for my new Keenum Victory dance song.

Chiefs are the softest 6-0 team I've ever seen. I think we would have won if not for injuries on the 0-line that basically forced us to field a 4th string practice squad unit.

I do give that defense credit though, but if other teams play them using the blueprint that the Titans and Raiders did on defense, I don't know how far it will carry them.

A first round exit would be disappointing but I guess you have to try and look at the big picture. Like you said, before this season you wouldn't have even entertained the thought of the playoffs, so if nothing else this season should end up a big step in the right direction. I definitely think that's worth something. Plus, with the playoffs you just never know.

There are definitely some similarities. The big differences I see are that Andy Reid is much more of a proven coach than Tony Sparano and the Chiefs have more talent on offense. Both offenses had/have a ceiling primarily determined by nonexplosive QB's that played to not lose, though (Pennington and Smith).

Overall I think the Chiefs are a better team than the '08 Dolphins but I could see their seasons having very similar endings.

EDIT: Now I can't stop thinking about that stupid Ed Reed pick six. Poor noodle arm, he tried so hard. :(

I agree reid is a better coach but without a QB they will regress a lot next year. (If not later this year, we had the wild cat going for us)

ShaneB

You like defense. The Chiefs are having one of the statistically best defensive seasons of all-time. We've given up 65 points all year. By contrast, other defenses I consider great like the Seahawks and 49ers have given up 116 and 118 points, respectively (the league average is 133). We will be playing at Arrowhead, the loudest outdoor stadium in the world this weekend against the Texans.

This is a do-or-die game for the Texans, who I expect will be playing their best ball all year. If they don't, their season is pretty much over. It might already be.

Despite being crapped on, our offense is #8 in the league in scoring. We play smash mouth football, with long grinding drives that suck the life out of our opponents. Jamaal Charles is getting it done on the ground and in the air.

Ablahblahblah strength of schedule talk. Yes, we have the fourth easiest strength of schedule so far, behind the Broncos, Bears, and Jets. The Patriots, Steelers, and Rams are right behind us and will likely pass us in that category by the end of the season. Nobody is complaining about those teams playing easy teams, but they are. You play who the schedule says you play. All you can do is go out there and win games. The Chiefs are getting that done so far.

TLDR: I asked Conan to describe the Chiefs' gameplan and he responded: "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

That's right, Conan. That's right.

Bringing the stats! I respect that.

You know me well enough to know that of course I'll be cheering for the Chiefs and that incredible defence. And that long soul crushing drives I love. They're certainly going to be my game of choice at the 4pm slot. And flipping between the 49ers/Titans game to see how the Niners are coming along for NFC west interests. Sheesh, I'm not even sure what game to watch at 1pm. Lot of eh matchups.

4th and 48 might be the highlight of the season.

Anyone else having an issue with the site requiring you to change your password when you change or refresh pages? If you did change it, does it allow you to set the same thing again? or did they actually implement a deeper security policy?

Godslay

Banned
Chiefs are the softest 6-0 team I've ever seen. I think we would have won if not for injuries on the 0-line that basically forced us to field a 4th string practice squad unit.

I do give that defense credit though, but if other teams play them using the blueprint that the Titans and Raiders did on defense, I don't know how far it will carry them.

Historic numbers against garbage teams and backup QBs (same for Denver though), I always list Romo as the best QB they've faced but didn't he have bruised ribs going into that game against KC? I believe he did.

Call me a hater, but it's the same scenario as last year. Get the KC offense off the field, trap the KC defense on the field, and they'll wear out. Smith has just given the defense enough time off the field to make them more effective over this rash of games. Pair an even average defense with a good QB, and you'll beat KC. The only time we might see it happen though, is Denver, Colts, and Chargers. I can see them having a tough time in these games.

Greg

Anyone else having an issue with the site requiring you to change your password when you change or refresh pages? If you did change it, does it allow you to set the same thing again? or did they actually implement a deeper security policy?
I couldn't remember what my password even was originally, but I thought I reentered the same one again anyways

zychi

Banned
Fantasy question fellas, trying to not let my bias of being a Bears fan affect this.

Cutler v Wash
or Rodgers w no wrs v Cle?

Godslay

Banned
Denver/San Diego have below average defenses. Colts are probably about average.

So far. Miller will fix that. Might be a reach to pin our hopes on one guy, but he makes everyone better and gives them favorable match ups. Plus the addition of Champ, return of Woodyard (who is the brains of the D) and Harris, will improve the D. Might take a little to build chemistry, but it will happen. Don't have to believe me, but I have faith in it improving.

Colasante

Healthy Gronk is a poor man's Jimmy Graham so what does that make a returning from injuries Gronk?

Noooooope. Maybe if you consider only their skills as receivers, but I think Gronk is easily a better all around tight end than Jimmy Graham.

Fantasy question fellas, trying to not let my bias of being a Bears fan affect this.

Cutler v Wash
or Rodgers w no wrs v Cle?

Go with the Cutlet.

Noooooope. Maybe if you consider only their skills as receivers, but I think Gronk is easily a better all around tight end than Jimmy Graham.
To be honest I don't really know who's better overall,
I just wanted to troll Dutch a little.

In other news, it looks like Elerbee will be out on Sunday. With Jason Trusnik likely getting the start at MLB I expect Fred Jackson and Scott Chandler to be big performers for the Bills.

Drakeon

Go with the Cutlet.

I think Gronk is probably the best TE in the game when he's healthy. Problem is, the dude's never healthy for long stretches.

Healthy Gronk is a poor man's Jimmy Graham so what does that make a returning from injuries Gronk?

You never had a proper TE in your bum town, so let me explain that playing TE is more than just catching the ball.
Gronk is easily the best blocking TE in the league, where Graham can't block anybody. Don't get me wrong, Gronk is also a better receiver than Graham, just look at the stats over the last couple of seasons. You can take the receiver Graham out off the game, you can't do that with Gronk. He can't be stopped on the football field (Don't even make a stupid joke about his health).

Add to that that Gronk is more fun, a great dancer and spikes the ball like a pro and it's clear that Gronk is the best overall TE.

Rob-Gronkowski-Spike.gif

Quikies83

Historic numbers against garbage teams and backup QBs (same for Denver though), I always list Romo as the best QB they've faced but didn't he have bruised ribs going into that game against KC? I believe he did.

Call me a hater, but it's the same scenario as last year. Get the KC offense off the field, trap the KC defense on the field, and they'll wear out. Smith has just given the defense enough time off the field to make them more effective over this rash of games. Pair an even average defense with a good QB, and you'll beat KC. The only time we might see it happen though, is Denver, Colts, and Chargers. I can see them having a tough time in these games.

Since when does Denver have a average defense? They're at the bottom of just about every statistic..
Hater.

Vikings news:

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero 8m

#Vikings put Harrison Smith on IR/designation to return, re-signed Jacob Lacey, who was with them in camp. Lacey has same reps as Winfield.

EDIT: Beaten above. Nevermind.

In Giants news, JPP missed practice today. He wasn't feeling well yesterday and is under the weather.

You never had a proper TE in your bum town, so let me explain that playing TE is more than just catching the ball.
Gronk is easily the best blocking TE in the league, where Graham can't block anybody. Don't get me wrong, Gronk is also a better receiver than Graham, just look at the stats over the last couple of seasons. You can take the receiver Graham out off the game, you can't do that with Gronk. He can't be stopped on the football field (Don't even make a stupid joke about his health).

Add to that that Gronk is more fun, a great dancer and spikes the ball like a pro and it's clear that Gronk is the best overall TE.
bruce_hardy_1986_01_04.jpg

squicken

I kind of get the sense that Arians is making sure that everyone knows his offensive line is bad. He does nothing radical to change things up and protect them. Short throws can only work for so long

I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy *shudders*

You know you're gonna be rockin' a Cam avy.

Definitely better than whatever Fox posted.

Colasante

I kind of get the sense that Arians is making sure that everyone knows his offensive line is bad. He does nothing radical to change things up and protect them. Short throws can only work for so long

I think Arians just isn't a good head coach. He's put his quarterbacks in terrible situations for years, but he had Roethlisberger and Luck, who could handle a bad offensive line and no competent running game. I don't think he'll be back next year.

Godslay

Banned
Since when does Denver have a average defense? They're at the bottom of just about every statistic..
Hater.

Except for the things that will stop KC. Namely rush defense.

Besides that they've been injury plagued and missing their best players. Mark my words, it will improve. They'll be in the top 15 soon enough.

The Dolphins running game has gotten a lot of attention recently for how horrible it is, and rightfully so. However, I see a lot of people saying stuff like "Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller really need to improve in their roles" and to be perfectly honest I think that is unfair to Miller. These guys should not be grouped together.

Lamar Miller is by no means tearing it up this season and he certainly has room for improvement but given the state of the offensive line I am pretty happy with his 4.2 yards per carry average. Thomas, on the other hand, is averaging an abysmal 2.6 yards per carry. 2.6!

Despite the fact that Thomas has shown absolutely nothing this season he still has 27 carries to Miller's 50. My question is, why in the world is Thomas getting a third of the carries when he has been so terrible? Is Miller's conditioning that awful or are Philbin and Sherman just that stubborn? Also, are the Dolphins capable of running Miller out of any formation besides the shotgun? I don't have the numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if 75% of his carries have been from the gun, which just seems strange to me given the state of the o-line.

Long story short, I don't think Miller is really the problem here. Thomas is not an NFL RB, Sherman is not very good at running a balanced offense with a variety of formations, and the o-line is bad at everything. I really hope we see some changes considering the Dolphins are coming off of their bye week.

Despite the fact that Thomas has shown absolutely nothing this season he still has 27 carries to Miller's 50. My question is, why in the world is Thomas getting a third of the carries when he has been so terrible? Is Miller's conditioning that awful or are Philbin and Sherman just that stubborn? Also, are the Dolphins capable of running Miller out of any formation besides the shotgun? I don't have the numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if 75% of his carries have been from the gun, which just seems strange to me given the state of the o-line.
GM drafted Thomas and doesn't want to admit he sucks. He's also presuring coaching staff to give Thomas work, and the staff themselves don't feel Miller is a 20 carry back.

@TheMattyI 5m

There's an interesting stat that STATS LLC tracks which, while admittedly flawed, I find slightly fascinating. It's called "poor throw %."

@TheMattyI 2m

Ryan Tannehill's poor throw % in 2013 is 12.6%. How does that compare to others? Better than Brady (18%), Brees (13.1%), Rodgers (14.1%)...

@TheMattyI 23s

Tannehill's "poor throw %" (12.6%) also better than Romo (14.7%), Wilson (15.5%), Luck (14.5%), and Roethlisberger (15.1%).

MVP BITCHES!
I don't fully endorse my post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom