• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 7 |OT| - The Green Green Grass of Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
YUtnUpr.png

I want this

squicken

As a public service to Dolphins fans waiting for Mike Wallace like Linus waiting for The Great Pumpkin, here are the Seven Stages of Free Agent Receiver Buyer's Remorse:

Stage 1: Defensiveness
. "It's still early in the season."

Stage 2: Rationalization. "He is forcing safeties to play deep, which is totally opening things up for Charles Clay. That's what you really want from your highly-paid deep-threat receiver, after all: opportunities for your tight end."

Stage 3: Deflection. "Ryan Tannehill's ball location on some of those dropped passes was not quite perfect. How can a $60-million receiver be expected to catch anything besides perfectly thrown passes?"

Stage 4: Globalization. "Bottom line, we are 3-2. That's what the Wallace signing, and all the other offseason moves, were really about: hovering just above .500 and finishing in second place."

Stage 5: Bye Week Hopefulness
. "Wallace accepted the blame for his poor start. 'That's my fault,' Wallace told the Palm Beach Post. 'Everything. Whatever happens is my fault.' So all of the whispers about his unhappiness with his role and lack of chemistry with Tannehill are settled! It is time to turn the corner! And even if they don't quite connect this week: they are facing a quarterback named Thad Lewis, who has a foot injury."

Stage 6: Appeal to a Higher Power. "Jeff Ireland prepared for just this eventuality. He has a plan! How can you possibly suggest that Jeff Ireland does not have a plan?"

Stage 7: Acceptance. "Yup, we paid way too much for this guy, when we should have been solidifying the offensive line."

The Dolphins are obviously at Stage 5 right now. That puts them in better shape than the Bills, who are one awkward plant by Lewis from DEFCON Flynn.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/63071760/

MechDX

I know you think I'm a Kubes apologist, but the work that he did with Plummer was amazing really. In the same way Moore sat down with Peyton and reviewed every play for the prior season, Kubiak made Plummer sit down and do the same. It makes me wonder if Kubiak is stretched too thin at HC, or if Schaub was that bad and Kubiak couldn't make him any better than what he is. The guy knows his offensive stuff, especially QB play. It's too bad he doesn't coach like Shannahan used to, in the sense of stepping on a teams throat until the game is over.

Sage Rosenfels made some comments on twitter last night about this as well. I'll post em when I get home. System is easy and adaptable to a young QB

I would be so excited right now if I was a Texans fan. The chances of winning the SB with Schaub at QB always seemed low and with the way he has obviously regressed they hit rock bottom. Now the team has finally made the difficult step of transitioning away from him, or at the very least making an attempt to. I'm sure it's painful right now but what's better, getting this or getting another season exactly like the last few?

squicken

I would be so excited right now if I was a Texans fan. The chances of winning the SB with Schaub at QB always seemed low and with the way he has obviously regressed they hit rock bottom. Now the team has finally made the difficult step of transitioning away from him, or at the very least making an attempt to. I'm sure it's painful right now but what's better, getting this or getting another season exactly like the last few?

Everyone I know is happy. They never want to see Schoob on the field again. Catapult, train out of town, whatever. Gone. I've also never met a TJ Yates fan, so they get to dream of a Just Winz player

Bowser

Through Week 6 of the 2013 Regular Season
About our Quality Stats Power Rankings (below). This indicator ranks each team from No. 1 to 32 based upon average ranking across the board in each of our Quality Stats.

It's proven very adept at picking out NFL champs: New Orleans was No. 1 across the board in 2009 and won the Super Bowl; Indianapolis was No. 3 across the board in 2009, the highest-ranked AFC team, and won the AFC title. Green Bay was No. 1 across the board in 2010 and won the Super Bowl; Pittsburgh was No. 2 across the board and won the AFC title. The Texans were No. 1 across the board in 2011 before catastrophic injuries at quarterback derailed the team's likely Super Bowl run.

FwaAvz9.png

Tuvytp3.gif

I think the Texans are in a precarious place. I agree with you that they have potential to be a SB team and Schaub wasn't taking them there, but they need to be careful with the next QB lest he wastes the primes of the playmakers on D. Whoever the next QB/coach will be need to be a slam dunk, otherwise the Texans will be on those 'missing rings' specials.

Lol.

I pick the teams that do really well, and point that out. Therefore I am a sports genius.

Edit:
I think the Texans are in a precarious place. I agree with you that they have potential to be a SB team and Schaub wasn't taking them there, but they need to be careful with the next QB lest he wastes the primes of the playmakers on D. Whoever the next QB/coach will be need to be a slam dunk, otherwise the Texans will be on those 'missing rings' specials.

Next Coach in Houston is Wade Phillips.

Definitely. Securing a QB who is capable of taking your team all the way is obviously not easy but not knowing sure beats the alternative in this case.

Fox318

Awesome in theory, but that'd be too expensive to field the other nine players on defense. I don't see the Bucs trading Revis, that was Mark Dominick's signature move as GM.

Bill has no lack for drafting in the secondary. Revis would make sense for them but it would have to be a heavy price for him. Maybe a 1st and 2 2nd round picks?

squicken

2) Robert Griffin III's next step. Coming off a bye week and with a quarter-season under his belt, RGIII indeed looked like a new man Sunday night at Dallas. It appeared he had the green light to run with abandon, and that's just what he did in ripping off 77 yards on nine carries. As long as the Washington Redskins properly manage their quarterback's running load, that's fantastic news. But as I wrote last month, the biggest remaining hurdle has nothing to do with Griffin running in a straight line. His completion percentage still is below 60, and he had a few bad misses against the Cowboys. Three weeks ago, Packers players told me the goal was to get linemen around Griffin's feet to create uncertainty in his movement, which is how most defenses like to test quarterbacks coming off a knee injury. Whether or not this is a result of that, one NFC personnel director observed that Griffin indeed was inconsistent setting up and teams are testing him in different ways: "He's not very good throwing outside the numbers or reading coverages." That helps explain why 2013 is such a massive challenge for Griffin. There's the rehab, then the natural growth he needs as a quarterback with the NFL having a year of film on him.

3) The case for Keenum in Houston
. This much is clear: The Texans aren't married to the idea of finishing the season with Matt Schaub as their quarterback, so Case Keenum now has a chance -- a chance -- to stake his claim to the job, starting with Sunday's game at Kansas City. He wasn't bad the last time he was a team's starter, throwing for 5,631 yards and 48 touchdowns with just five picks as a senior at the University of Houston. I went back to a scout who evaluated Keenum then and asked if he's surprised by the quarterback's quick ascension. "Nope," the scout responded. "I loved him coming out of school. I thought he'd be a really good No. 2 who could spot start. They have enough talent around him where he could very well excel." Keenum was undrafted partly because of his height, limited athleticism and injury history. The fact that he had a noticeable limp during his final collegiate season didn't help. But the scout said, based on his work, it's not out of the question for Keenum to evolve into a starter. "Yeah, he can," the scout said. "Tireless worker. Outstanding competitor. Loves the game. Extremely smart. He doesn't have standout physical traits -- his arm and athleticism are just OK -- but he's smart, accurate and tough." Should be interesting to monitor this one.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...rt-college-coaches-despite-greg-schianos-woes

Bowser

Lol.

I pick the teams that do really well, and point that out. Therefore I am a sports genius.

Mainly posted that to point out that according to almost all statistical models the Panthers are one of the best teams in the league yet here we sit at 2-3. Gee, thanks Ron.

FO: 8 (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2013/week-6-dvoa-ratings)
Advanced NFL Stats: 10 (http://www.advancednflstats.com/2013/10/team-efficiency-rankings-week-6.html)
CHFF: 5 (posted above)

Spinluck

Denver/San Diego have below average defenses. Colts are probably about average.

We always get stomped by the Chargers. 10-18 against them all time, and a lot of those losses have come recently. We did pretty good against Seattle.

But you're right, we're really not that good.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Mainly posted that to point out that according to almost all statistical models the Panthers are one of the best teams in the league yet here we sit at 2-3. Gee, thanks Ron.

FO: 8 (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2013/week-6-dvoa-ratings)
Advanced NFL Stats: 10 (http://www.advancednflstats.com/2013/10/team-efficiency-rankings-week-6.html)
CHFF: 5 (posted above)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/17/s...l-probabilities-jets-over-patriots.html?_r=1&

Jets have a 61% chance of winning this week according to AdvancedNFL.

Sweet!

squicken

Panthers 83%, highest of all matchups...

If the Panthers run the ball 70% of the time they will coast to the win. Only reason to throw is deep shots to take advantage of safeties. I'm not joking. If you guys throw it around it is bailing out the Rams. Foster, Gore and Murray all ripped up the run defense. They are awful

Rams only chance is to keep it close and let Rivera magic happen

Bowser

If the Panthers run the ball 70% of the time they will coast to the win. Only reason to throw is deep shots to take advantage of safeties. I'm not joking. If you guys throw it around it is bailing out the Rams. Foster, Gore and Murray all ripped up the run defense. They are awful

Rams only chance is to keep it close and let Rivera magic happen

Panthers rank 4th in the league with an average of 32.6 rush attempts per game.

squicken

Panthers rank 4th in the league with an average of 32.6 rush attempts per game.

Only chance is a shootout then, and STL can't handle your front 4. I hope for the best but the defense regressing so much makes these types of games nearly impossible. Probably a repeat of the SF game

Bowser

Darin Gantt ‏@daringantt 5m
The perils of being a Buc. RT @DaQuanBowers91: Just went to get my massage and it was canceled because they thought I had MRSA what the ____

I don't know whether to laugh or be genuinely concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom