• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 9 |OT| - Doin' It 2003 Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenumi

Banned
Looking more and more like Kubiak had a stroke. Must have been Case calling to down the ball and then tossing a fade to Dre before half.

It's definitely a scary situation. At least he had medical personnel there immediately. Don't know how much that would help but it certainly couldn't have hurt.

KaYotiX

Banned
Go Pack Go! Want to see a ass kicking tonight!

Since we're doing the whole fan thing, was born and raised in Wisconsin for 20 years. Moved to TX, been here for 13.

Did become a Spurs fan just because I live near San Antonio. Still not a huge basketball fan though.

eznark

Banned
What was worse 10 million for Flynn to do nothing or 16 million for Cassel to suck hard?

Obviously Cassell since he set the Chiefs organization back. Flynn hasn't even been a speed bump anywhere.

Although, when the Dolphins passed on him after hiring Philbin the writing should have been on the fucking wall so that was dumb by Seattle. Huge props though for understanding sunk costs are sunk and moving on quickly. Most professional sports franchises can't grasp the concept.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Although, when the Dolphins passed on him after hiring Philbin the writing should have been on the fucking wall so that was dumb by Seattle. Huge props though for understanding sunk costs are sunk and moving on quickly. Most professional sports franchises can't grasp the concept.
Looking back on what the Seattle FO did over 2011 it's highly likely that Flynn was never really meant to be the starter. He was an insurance policy. Schneider was gearing up to make one of the biggest gambles in the 2012 Draft.

Bowser

re Riverboat Ron

This is just me, and granted it is an improvement over what he was doing, but I would like a better decision making process beyond "fuck it" when it came to such critical moments

Did you read the piece? It's more Rivera embracing what the stats tell him than a "fuck it" mentality:

Like Belichick, Rivera's fourth-down approach has been swayed by statistics. Citing a report by a professor at his alma mater, UC Berkeley, Rivera conceded that conventional wisdom surrounding those situations might be flawed.

Anecdotally, it certainly seemed that way yesterday, with Cleveland Browns coach Rob Chudzinski (Rivera's offensive coordinator the previous two seasons in Carolina) closing out a 24-18 victory over the Baltimore Ravens thanks to a late fourth-down conversion, and beleaguered Minnesota Vikings coach Leslie Frazier passing on a chance to go for a fourth-and-5 clincher against the Dallas Cowboys, only to watch Tony Romo engineer a game-winning touchdown drive.

"There's a stats professor at Cal who did a study on fourth down and concluded you're more apt to make it on fourth down than on third down," Rivera said. "So is that the new book? My attitude is, forget 'The Book.' Instead of us having to stop the other team, let's make 'em do the things they have to do to stop us."

And looking at the strengths of this team, we honestly should be going for every single ambiguous 4th and short.

eznark

Banned
Looking back on what the Seattle FO did over 2011 it's highly likely that Flynn was never really meant to be the starter. He was an insurance policy.

Eh, I find that doubtful. I doubt they give any other QB they would've drafted in that spot the same shot. Not every rookie QB can come in and get your panties wet like DangeRuss.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Eh, I find that doubtful. I doubt they give any other QB they would've drafted in that spot the same shot. Not every rookie QB can come in and get your panties wet like DangeRuss.
Except it's known he was already getting them wet all throughout 2011. Wilson didn't just fall into their lap!

Fantomex

Funny reading back in this thread over the initial reactions to Jonathan martin.

The convoluted part is that you begin to wonder if he sucks because of the bullying, or if he was bullied because he sucked. Either way, we really didn't need this soap opera to happen. And it's unfortunate that a grown man was getting bullied. For me there is this macho side that say "How you gonna let another grown man put fear in you?", Yet at the same time I've been working with supervisors who got away with pushing me around a lot until I eventually snapped. Tough situation man.

In a way, we were all bullying Martin for the last two years.

the_more_you_know.jpeg

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Don't worry about. NFL-GAF has a weird resume gazing fetish. Loser bros can't embrace draft time and start chirping about "real fans"

I only have 7 rules for fandom.

1. No squickening
2. Pick a team and stick with them
3. No squickening
4. Only one team per fan
5. No squickening
6. Don't disappear when the going gets tough
7. No squickening

I am getting KZ for sure, already pre-ordered it on PSN.

All these pretend online services need to take a lesson from Steam and just let us make an open group that people can join. Y'know, like:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/nfl-gaf

Yeah we'll have to come up with a convenient way to get NFL-gafers PSN names. In the meantime, mine is SquallASF

I need to upgrade my account to PSN Plus. Can you add friends on the site? or only through the system?

eznark

Banned
Except it's known he was already getting them wet all throughout 2011. Wilson didn't just fall into their lap!

Starting QB's drafted in the third round by definition fell into your lap.

Especially given the buzz after his combine/senior day. The whole league had a boner for him.

cajunator

Banned
Did you read the piece? It's more Rivera embracing what the stats tell him than a "fuck it" mentality:

And looking at the strengths of this team, we honestly should be going for every single ambiguous 4th and short.

I agree with this. One of the reasons I like Sean Payton so much. I like coaches that gamble, even if it sometimes fails. At least they acknowledged confidence that it can work.

eznark

Banned
I agree with this. One of the reasons I like Sean Payton so much. I like coaches that gamble, even if it sometimes fails. At least they acknowledged confidence that it can work.

Going for it on fourth down, onside kicks, stealing entire pallets of pain pills, paying guys to try and give other guys brain damage...he's just a fun lovin kid out there!

Yeah we'll have to come up with a convenient way to get NFL-gafers PSN names. In the meantime, mine is SquallASF

I need to upgrade my account to PSN Plus. Can you add friends on the site? or only through the system?

I just tried to add you on the website but it says that SquallASF does not exsist.

squicken

Are you a country guy? I just love those country playlists on iTunes Radio.

Yeah I have a couple playlists that are country. Don't generally like new country. It's basically as formulaic as any other current music genre. But I love that they have such a deep library in seemingly every genre on the playlists

Finally caught up and read that Rivers only audibled the first down draw to Woodhead. The fade to Gates and the sprint-out on 3rd down were both the plays received in the huddle.

I don't disagree with the fade call to Gates. If you're gonna run it on 1st down, run power with McClain and Mathews.
The sprint-out to the short side of the field, leaving Gates and Woodhead as blockers was a head scratcher. Rivers is not the best throwing on the run, and instead of leaving Gates and Woodhead to block, they should have at least chipped and just ran a flood play to the wide side of the field.

Man, wtf Whisenhunt.

Yeah I am doing the public trophy search. Mine is ILOVEWII60

I found you but there doesn't seem to be an option to add you as a friend. It just shows your trophies and trophy level. Doing a google search, most say you can't but I found one guy that says you can...hmm Guess I'll have to do it via PS3 when I get home.

I found you but there doesn't seem to be an option to add you as a friend. It just shows your trophies and trophy level. Doing a google search, most say you can't but I found one guy that says you can...hmm Guess I'll have to do it via PS3 when I get home.

What a stupid system. There is an add friend option on xbox.com, sony should have just copied that.

Hunter S.

Go Pack Go! Want to see a ass kicking tonight!

Since we're doing the whole fan thing, was born and raised in Wisconsin for 20 years. Moved to TX, been here for 13.

Did become a Spurs fan just because I live near San Antonio. Still not a huge basketball fan though.

Your story seems fine. But, those fans from Michigan and Florida that root for teams half way across the country are abominations of fanhood because they usually pick winners cowering away from mediocrity. Pussy and scum they are. While the guys that move and keep their team are honorable and true fans.

Thick or thin I bleed Blue and Orange and piss Blue and Burgundy.

cajunator

Banned
Your story seems fine. But, those fans from Michigan and Florida that root for teams half way across the country are abominations of fanhood because they usually pick winners cowering away from mediocrity. Pussy and scum they are. While the guys that move and keep their team are honorable and true fans.

Thick or thin I bleed Blue and Orange and piss Blue and Burgundy.

This doesnt sound very healthy

Yeah I have a couple playlists that are country. Don't generally like new country. It's basically as formulaic as any other current music genre. But I love that they have such a deep library in seemingly every genre on the playlists

I like the new country stuff, I just play the iTunes Top 100 country playlist and the DJ @ iTunes thing. I really like iTunes radio as a whole, you can listen to really everything, from Dance to Country, with such ease.

are you like a euro version of those animu japanophiles here?

81749-Jesse-Pinkman-WHAT-gif-pink-WA-a0go.gif

Welcome back!

eznark

Banned
I bet there are a whole fuckload of veterans calling on younger guys to delete the fucking texts and voicemails right now.

It sucks when you find out you rooted for guys who are complete pieces of shit. I felt terrible I ever cheered for Hernandez.
I think I always knew deep down that Incognito was a complete and total douche but I wanted to give him a second chance. I was hoping maybe he'd changed a little since his rough start in the league but obviously he didn't.

Regarding Martin I hope he is able to come back and find a place on the team. I know the o-line has been horrible this season but I still think he has the potential to turn into a solid RT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom