• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 9 |OT| - Doin' It 2003 Style

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it does. Maybe this is the catalyst that changes something small ( I wasn't insinuating that you were).

That would be nice, but what is more likely is that Martin busts out of the league before his rookie deal is up. If he can't handle this I doubt he's gonna have an easy time with the daily rigours of the NFL.

What's your argument? That nothing should be done, because this kind of stuff probably goes on in locker rooms around the league?

My argument is that nothing is going to change, shy of Incognito laying off Martin. As I said, can't stand that everybody thinks blowing the whistle once is going to eradicate this from the league.

squicken

So I have been following these NFL threads all season long and I'm just curious. Are there any others on here who just like to watch good football? This is my first year of actually paying attention and watching every single Sunday. When I say my first season I mean I truly didn't care about the sport at all for the last 10 years or so. I never even bothered with superbowl.

It kind of boggles my mind how much hate people get for liking or not liking a certain team? I live near Indianapolis so of course I like to watch the Colts but I also like watching New England, Denver, Dallas, Chicago, Seattle, Minnesota etc etc.

Am I totally alone on this? I find myself a lot of time watching games and just cheering for both teams when they score touchdowns.

I understand if you grew up from age 5 as a die hard fan this might be confusing but was just curious if anyone else was in the same boat.

there are others

Trey

So I have been following these NFL threads all season long and I'm just curious. Are there any others on here who just like to watch good football? This is my first year of actually paying attention and watching every single Sunday. When I say my first season I mean I truly didn't care about the sport at all for the last 10 years or so. I never even bothered with superbowl.

It kind of boggles my mind how much hate people get for liking or not liking a certain team? I live near Indianapolis so of course I like to watch the Colts but I also like watching New England, Denver, Dallas, Chicago, Seattle, Minnesota etc etc.

Am I totally alone on this? I find myself a lot of time watching games and just cheering for both teams when they score touchdowns.

I understand if you grew up from age 5 as a die hard fan this might be confusing but was just curious if anyone else was in the same boat.

I'm fanatic for my home team, but love good football and can watch it all day.

cdyhybrid

Linemen fight practically every day in training camp. It's encouraged.

Practice scuffles are different from beating someone down (probably outside the facility) for threatening you, though.

Charlie Kaye ‏@CharlieKayeCBS 1m
BREAKING. Miami jury finds Eric Rivera Jr. guilty of 2nd degree murder in the 2007 shooting of Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor.
Retweeted by SI_DougFarrar

eznark

Banned
A fight in practice probably would've been enough to gain the respect of a retarded block head like Incognito.

Frank Winters always used to tell new Packers linemen to immediately fight Ross Verba just to get it out of the way because he'd keep fucking with you if you didn't.

Stop splitting hairs. Do we really need to start debating definitions of "public"? It's out there, he must have talked to several non-players about it.

Uh, that's not splitting hairs. Reporting something to the authorities isn't "going public." He has yet to give any interviews, has yet to be quoted in any outlet. If he has said anything to anyone it has been in private...ya know, the opposite of public.

Vesmir

Banned

Go Hawks, but I can enjoy a good football game from any team (without rooting for anyone, except if they are vs. Steelers). For instance, Foles's game was pretty fun to watch yesterday.

Godslay, you suggested I should watch The Road right?

I never read the book and I'm halfway through the movie now, and I have this terrible feeling that this is going to be suuuupeeeerrr depressing

Yeah, beating the shit out of a coworker is great for your career.

Wouldn't hurt as long as Incognito wouldn't be a little baby & go to the head offices or league tattling on Martin.

This thing reminds me of the Michael Jerome Irvin incident, Dallas Cowboy wide receiver who sliced a rookie's neck who didn't get out of a barber chair for him.
With shit like that, the league needs to get involved, but for being mean to a player? Come on man.

Milchjon

Uh, that's not splitting hairs. Reporting something to the authorities isn't "going public." He has yet to give any interviews, has yet to be quoted in any outlet. If he has said anything to anyone it has been in private...ya know, the opposite of public.

Good Gosh...

"It takes some guts to talk privately to a bunch of people in a way to set off a process that might alert the public to the rotten lockerroom culture of some teams and not requesting total anonymity."

Whatever.

TheFatOne

Good step forward for the Pats offense yesterday. They still have a long way to go though. First time I thought Brady has been sharp from the beginning to the end of the game. Good accurate passes all game long. The defense is pretty terrible again. Not sure how much Talib can help when they don't have the guys up front. Vellano is pure garbage. He can't shed a block to make a tackle to save his life. Pats just need to string together a few good games on offense now. If they catch some matchup breaks in the playoffs they have a shot at the super bowl. They desperately need that bye week though.

ShaneB

I was that way for many years, really just a casual fan who liked seeing highlights upon highlights come sunday night, and would really just pay attention during the playoffs to just focus on one game at a time. It was only this year that I decided to pick a single team and make that my focus every week, and it's helped to grasp a better understanding of week to week football fun and just enjoy the sport a lot more having that focus.

edit: And yes, often times I feel like I'd be content if every game was close, and went to OT, and every team could finish near 8-8 so there's drama all the way throughout the season.

Tom Penny

This Incognito stuff is pretty bad. NFL needs to investigate all teams. I bet bullying / ribbing is an epidemic throughout the league. Almost all of us would immediately be fired for such heinous acts.

eznark

Banned
Good Gosh...

"It takes some guts to talk privately to a bunch of people in a way to set off a process that might alert the public to the rotten lockerroom culture of some teams and not requesting total anonymity."

Whatever.

Nothing brave about appealing to authorities in the hopes they will solve your problems for you.

Dukey

Banned

I love close games. I love it more when my Pats are playing, but ultimately I just want to watch good games. There's a lot of good-natured humor here. I dont really see hate most of the time.

Spinluck

Everyone here likes good football. Trust me when I say this, but rarely do I feel that any of the insults here are serious. I'd say 90% of the time it is all for lols. Some posters may hold a grudge though. Lol @ forum grudges.

squicken

Good step forward for the Pats offense yesterday. They still have a long way to go though. First time I thought Brady has been sharp from the beginning to the end of the game. Good accurate passes all game long. The defense is pretty terrible again. Not sure how much Talib can help when they don't have the guys up front. Vellano is pure garbage. He can't shed a block to make a tackle to save his life. Pats just need to string together a few good games on offense now. If they catch some matchup breaks in the playoffs they have a shot at the super bowl. They desperately need that bye week though.

Curious how it plays out b/c they seem very much like the late era Peyton Colts where they will need to win shootouts vs better teams. The whole day was so fluky it's hard to know what was just an aberration and what is going to be a trend going forward

cdyhybrid

A fight in practice probably would've been enough to gain the respect of a retarded block head like Incognito.

Frank Winters always used to tell new Packers linemen to immediately fight Ross Verba just to get it out of the way because he'd keep fucking with you if you didn't.

Probably, but it shouldn't be necessary to fight with your teammates just so they stop making you pay for their vacations and shit. This could have been avoided if they didn't sign garbage like Incognito though!

Bowser

Wasn't just talk...he threatened him for money. Extortion is more like it

Here Deacon, let me save your fingers for you: "lol this happens everywhere doe rookies gotta pay for thing stop being a little bitch lololol"

Where does the money thing come in? I haven't really read much on this outside of the voicemails.

Was forced to "contribute" $15k for a trip to Vegas for the O-Line, a trip he didn't even go on

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Nothing brave about appealing to authorities in the hopes they will solve your problems for you.

so if this were happening at Exxon or Walmart, you're stance would be to take matters into your own hands instead of turning it over to the authorities? Doesnt matter that this happened in the NFL, its harassment and making threats against his family and his life is criminal.

This isnt just shit talking on the field or locker room, this is after hours phone calls and voice mails.

Tom Penny

The Steelers are hot garbage. Take offensive performance with a grain of salt.

squicken

Clabo is done, Pouncey may be a racist bully and trafficker of guns for drug lords, while Incognito and Martin may be out of football for very different reasons. Gibson is out for the year, Hartline is slow as shit and got paid for one game vs AZ, and Wallace is Wallace

Good luck Ryan Tannehill.

eznark

Banned
so if this were happening at Exxon or Walmart, you're stance would be to take matters into your own hands instead of turning it over to the authorities? Doesnt matter that this happened in the NFL, its harassment and making threats against his family and his life is criminal.

This isnt just shit talking on the field or locker room, this is after hours phone calls and voice mails.

No, I would turn it over to the authorities. I wouldn't call myself a hero afterwards though. Although if a coworker told me they were going to shit in my mouth and slap my mom yeah I would take that into my own hands.

Fox318

Clabo is done, Pouncey may be a racist bully and trafficker of guns for drug lords, while Incognito and Martin may be out of football for very different reasons. Gibson is out for the year, Hartline is slow as shit and got paid for one game vs AZ, and Wallace is Wallace

I have tickets for the jets home game against the fish.

I want my sacks.

Tenumi

Banned
Everyone here likes good football. Trust me when I say this, but rarely do I feel that any of the insults here are serious. I'd say 90% of the time it is all for lols. Some posters may hold a grudge though. Lol @ forum grudges.

I don't think even Giants and Vikings fans wanted to watch that game between them, with what a mess that was.

TheFatOne

Curious how it plays out b/c they seem very much like the late era Peyton Colts where they will need to win shootouts vs better teams. The whole day was so fluky it's hard to know what was just an aberration and what is going to be a trend going forward

Yea it sucks because the defense did take a step forward this season when they were healthy. It looked like they would be able to win a defensive battle if they needed to early in the year. Now they are like the last time they went to the super bowl. If they get the bye, some luck, and favorable matchups they have a shot at the super bowl. It all starts with that bye though. They won't make it if they don't have the bye. I think the only real takeaway from the game yesterday is that Gronk is back to normal. I have to see Dobson be more consistent before I say he is going to be a real piece of this offense going forward, and Amendola has to be healthy if that is even possible. He looked healthy yesterday, but I'm not sure how long that will last. If Talib comes back to how he was playing before the injury the defense could improve. I'm just not sure how much due to all the injuries.
The Steelers are hot garbage. Take offensive performance with a grain of salt.

I feel like this for the most part. Only real takeaway is that Gronk is healthy again.

Heh, it's bad but it's not that bad.

ku-xlarge.gif

Dukey

Banned
Where does the money thing come in? I haven't really read much on this outside of the voicemails.

I think that's about the trip the linemen took to Vegas in the offseason that Martin didn't attend. They're saying Richie demanded 15k from him even though he didnt go.

I appreciate all the great responses. I was actually timid to even post in here as I felt like I may be ridiculed for my ignorance but that is what makes GAF so different. I never dreamt I could get into this game so deep, I finally understand how it can really become an obsession. I remember always being flabbergasted about how people could pay outrageous amounts for things like NFL Sunday Ticket until these last 8 weeks or so when I really want to watch an out of market game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom