• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Week 9 |OT| - Doin' It 2003 Style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same. Especially because Williams was trash and the writing was on the wall that Bryant was going to take his job.

I hated that because carrying the vets pads is something that all teams do and it seems innocent enough to not be a major burden. That totally felt like Dez putting himself above anyone else.

Brian Billick on the call for the Panthers vs SF! WIN CONFIRMED.

Panthers are 4-0 when Billick is on the call.

Yes, let's compare a joke to actually extorting money from someone, that's a totally comparable situation!! You sure showed us!!

Not to mention the guy actually got to eat something, as opposed to giving up the $$ for nothing.

I edited it...did you read both?

Back in July, there was a big to-do about Cowboys rookie wide receiver Dez Bryant(notes) refusing to carry pads for fellow wide receiver Roy Williams. It's tradition in the NFL that rookies perform menial chores for veteran teammates, so Bryant's refusal drew some attention and criticism.
The mini-controversy blew over quickly. Bryant apologized, Williams accepted and everyone moved on. Williams did mention, though, that Bryant would have to pick up a dinner tab, and at the instant that Bryant refused the pad-carrying, Williams suddenly got a little hungrier and a little thirstier.
After the Cowboys beat the Texans, it was finally time for that dinner. The end result? Bryant probably wishes he'd have carried those pads. From Calvin Watkins at ESPN:
Monday night at Pappas Bros. Steakhouse, Bryant took the offensive players out, then Williams invited the defensive players and when the night was over the bill came: $54,896.
"They got the young fella," said Bryant's adviser David Wells. "What could he say? He had to pay it unless he wanted to wash dishes for a month."
Players ordered basically everything on the menu and even took home bottles of wine.
Well played, Roy Williams. Not only was it a nice touch to invite the defense, but to also wait until everyone was in a celebratory and festive mood? That's a veteran move.
[Photos: See Dallas rookie Dez Bryant in action ]
Even when you factor in the number of players who attended, it still comes out to a ridiculous amount of money spent on food and drink for each person. Active game-day rosters include 45 people. Figure that some people probably skipped the festivities, and some coaches and other personnel might have been there, and we'll guess it was around 50 people. That's still well over $1,000 per person.
Revenge must have been delicious.

This shit happens all over the NFL. Steelers draft pick Alameda Ta'amu was forced to walk 3 miles in the cold to Wal-Mart to get shit. Injured his foot doing it, but what he didn't do was cry like a bitch.

I appreciate all the great responses. I was actually timid to even post in here as I felt like I may be ridiculed for my ignorance but that is what makes GAF so different. I never dreamt I could get into this game so deep, I finally understand how it can really become an obsession. I remember always being flabbergasted about how people could pay outrageous amounts for things like NFL Sunday Ticket until these last 8 weeks or so when I really want to watch an out of market game.
I think it's awesome that you are getting into football this much. As long as you remember that the Pats and Jets are incarnations of pure evil you will be okay in my book.

squicken

I feel like this for the most part. Only real takeaway is that Gronk is healthy again.

Yep he looks great. Total game changer for that offense, and when Danny is healthy, he is so good. Both he and Gronk in the middle of the field is a nightmare for defenses, just like when Welker was there. His health will always be a crap shoot, sadly

I just don't see how you guys stop the run. It will take some dumb team that wants to fling it around for no reason not to exploit that. But with a healthy Talib the secondary is very good. McCourtney seems to be getting high marks

I think it's awesome that you are getting into football this much. As long as you remember that the Pats and Jets are incarnations of pure evil you will be okay in my book.
dolphins-mascot.gif

eznark

Banned
I think that's about the trip the linemen took to Vegas in the offseason that Martin didn't attend. They're saying Richie demanded 15k from him even though he didnt go.

I hate that shit. When I worked in an office people did that all the time. No, I actually don't want to fucking chip in for the secretaries sick cat. Go fuck yourself, Nancy.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I appreciate all the great responses. I was actually timid to even post in here as I felt like I may be ridiculed for my ignorance but that is what makes GAF so different. I never dreamt I could get into this game so deep, I finally understand how it can really become an obsession. I remember always being flabbergasted about how people could pay outrageous amounts for things like NFL Sunday Ticket until these last 8 weeks or so when I really want to watch an out of market game.
Being a Seattle fan on the east coast is the worst. Normally I get to see 1-2 games a season if that, but recent advances in internet technology has allowed me to see every game this season!

So I have been following these NFL threads all season long and I'm just curious. Are there any others on here who just like to watch good football? This is my first year of actually paying attention and watching every single Sunday. When I say my first season I mean I truly didn't care about the sport at all for the last 10 years or so. I never even bothered with superbowl.

It kind of boggles my mind how much hate people get for liking or not liking a certain team? I live near Indianapolis so of course I like to watch the Colts but I also like watching New England, Denver, Dallas, Chicago, Seattle, Minnesota etc etc.

Am I totally alone on this? I find myself a lot of time watching games and just cheering for both teams when they score touchdowns.

I understand if you grew up from age 5 as a die hard fan this might be confusing but was just curious if anyone else was in the same boat.

I'd like to think just about everyone in this thread enjoys watching good football, for the sake of the sport and when a team executes well and not solely for our team. I care about my Cards first and foremost, but there's a reason I don't get a damn thing done on Sundays including yesterday when my team didn't even play. I don't have other specific teams I follow but I do have some preferences on who wins and there are teams I hate and will thus, root for the other team unless it negatively impacts the Cards making the playoffs. I will say it's entertaining to watch prolific offenses though or a really dominating defense. The Broncos offense this year has been something to behold...and envious of.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Watching games for good play is great, but personal investment in the outcome adds to the tension and excitement!

I like watching the Bengals, Bears and Patriots!

Lunchbox

Banned
He wears Swiss watches, Italian clothes, drives German cars, watches British sports...

You might call him a Urophile.

you cant call soccer a british sport because england have never been relevant in the sport other than cheating to a win 80 years ago with home referees. And their league is dominated by foreigners

the only real british sport i ever played was cricket. but that was only because during 2nd grade my dad used to take me to this pavillion for kids to play, kinda like sports daycare. And in the foreign section they had a slampiece who had her locker right next to mine because of the alphabetical order of last names. And she couldnt bat for shit. So i used to show her how to hold a bat and make shots using my superior baseball skills. she was from New zealand and thought i was so hunky telling her about keenan & kel, funnel cakes and larry bird. i still have her on my facebook and she seems dtf every time she chats.

Watching games for good play is great, but personal investment in the outcome adds to the tension and excitement!

Oh yeah, I can't imagine what it would be like without any emotional investment at all. I need my team as a driving force but I still watch and enjoy other teams playing and you'd have to be able to do so to enjoy the sport in years where your team is trash.

Milchjon

Yep he looks great. Total game changer for that offense, and when Danny is healthy, he is so good. Both he and Gronk in the middle of the field is a nightmare for defenses, just like when Welker was there. His health will always be a crap shoot, sadly

I just don't see how you guys stop the run. It will take some dumb team that wants to fling it around for no reason not to exploit that. But with a healthy Talib the secondary is very good. McCourtney seems to be getting high marks

:-(

Our run D was pretty good before all that injury shit happened.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh yeah, I can't imagine what it would be like without any emotional investment at all. I need my team as a driving force but I still watch and enjoy other teams playing and you'd have to be able to do so to enjoy the sport in years where your team is trash.
That's where hating certain teams more than others comes into play!

Dre3001

Is Martin like a 5' 4" 150 lbs 18 year old or something?

Fuck no, Jonathan Martin is 6' 5" & weighs 312 lbs NFL pro football player.
Guy can stand up for himself.

Does Incognito carry a gun or a machete on him at all times or something?

Dan Lebatard is on the radio in Miami right now and to why in his perspective Martin did not stand up for himself.

He was not defending Incognito but basically was implying that since Martin came from a good family of Harvard graduate parents and went to Stanford he was soft and that Incognito was trying to "toughen" him up.

He listed Martin options as

Option #1: Due to him being "soft", Incognito would have probably seriously hurt him if there was a physical confrontation.

Option #2: Because of the "soft" label he could not go and reveal situation since he would be viewed as more "soft" and not being able to handle hazing or what not.

Lebatard is claiming that Martin probably went to Philbin and described the hazing and what not very broadly and not being specific but due to his "soft" label it was largely ignored.

Hazing happens all over the NFL and Dolphins I am sure are not only team where rookies get treated poorly but very interesting to see how this unfolds.

eznark

Banned

I don't know, in the NFL there are few enough teams and players that I almost never have a problem finding a reason to root for one team or the other (yesterday was hard though! so many meaningless games).

College though I watch pretty much just for the football.

ShaneB

Welcome aboard! I was a newcomer to nfl-gaf as well around the start of the season, and I'd like to think I've maybe become a regular here.
that will post less again when the season ends and I get back to NHL-GAF
I think I'd have been more accepted had I not gravitated towards the Seahawks :p
I'm not a bandwagoner! :(

Dan Lebatard is on the radio in Miami right now and to why in his perspective Martin did not stand up for himself.

He was not defending Incognito but basically was implying that since Martin came from a good family of Harvard graduate parents and went to Stanford he was soft and that Incognito was trying to "toughen" him up.

He listed Martin options as

Option #1: Due to him being "soft", Incognito would have probably seriously hurt him if there was a physical confrontation.

Option #2: Because of the "soft" label he could not go and reveal situation since he would be viewed as more "soft" and not being able to handle hazing or what not.

Lebatard is claiming that Martin probably went to Philbin and described the hazing and what not very broadly and not being specific but due to his "soft" label it was largely ignored.

Hazing happens all over the NFL and Dolphins I am sure are not only team where rookies get treated poorly but very interesting to see how this unfolds.

It is going to be bad for Philbin if a player came to him complaining about this stuff and he didnt do anything.

hatred of what? what were they saying?

I just feel like no matter what the issue has been as far as football is concerned on any of these shows with multiple hosts you always have the guy/girl that defends or tries to explain the situation. However, when discussing the Martin/Incognito situation I really felt like all of them just wanted to look at the camera and say
"Richie Incognito you are a huge piece of shit, get out of the league"

Just how I perceived the discussion and I certainly agree, just thought it was worth brining up.

eznark

Banned
It is going to be bad for Philbin if a player came to him complaining about this stuff and he didnt do anything.

Miami needs to fire him so he can come and take sensitivity training from Ted Thompson. In return though Philbin will be required to resume duties as OC. Tom Clements will be promoted to assistant Head Coach/QB coach.

Bowser

Sounds like Incognito won't play another down for the Dolphins. Wonder if he'll ever play another down in the NFL:

Richie Incognito remains suspended by the Dolphins for conduct detrimental to the team but his fate on this team long-term is already sealed, a source tells The Miami Herald.

"He's done," a ranking club source said Monday. "There are procedures in place and everyone wants to be fair. The NFL is involved. But from a club perspective he'll never play another game here."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/#storylink=cpy

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Welcome aboard! I was a newcomer to nfl-gaf as well around the start of the season, and I'd like to think I've maybe become a regular here.
that will post less again when the season ends and I get back to NHL-GAF
I think I'd have been more accepted had I not gravitated towards the Seahawks :p
I'm not a bandwagoner! :(
Pfft, don't let those who don't know better get to you. You made your choice before the season, and as long as you don't bolt to another team when things aren't going as well as they are now, you're in no way a bandwagoner.

I just feel like no matter what the issue has been as far as football is concerned on any of these shows with multiple hosts you always have the guy/girl that defends or tries to explain the situation. However, when discussing the Martin/Incognito situation I really felt like all of them just wanted to look at the camera and say
"Richie Incognito you are a huge piece of shit, get out of the league"

Just how I perceived the discussion and I certainly agree, just thought it was worth brining up.
I'm sure if it were on the level of buying the team snacks or carrying stuff, then you'd see a lot more resistance, but what Incognito is accused of clearly crosses the line. You don't threaten people and their families like that.

xnipx

Wasn't Dez drafted under the old rookie pay scale? A 50k dinner to him and 30k to Martin are probably completely different expenses

Bowser

Only Texans, Jags, Panthers, Titans and maybe a few old Bucs fans can say they are truly not bandwagoners .

:p

I started following NFL and specifically the hometown Panthers in 2001...when we went 1-15 -__-

It's a miracle I stuck around!

A "ranking club source" tells the Miami Herald LG Richie Incognito is "done" with the Dolphins.

"There are procedures in place and everyone wants to be fair," the source said. "But from a club perspective he'll never play another game here." The Herald reports Incognito is planning to defend himself in a " robust manner," but it's not going to matter. The Dolphins are tired of Incognito's antics, which appear to have gone well beyond "antics" with Jonathan Martin. Now on the wrong side of 30 and a volatile personality going back to his days at Nebraska, it's quite possible Incognito's career is through, as well.

eznark

Banned
I'm sure if it were on the level of buying the team snacks or carrying stuff, then you'd see a lot more resistance, but what Incognito is accused of clearly crosses the line. You don't threaten people and their families like that.

That stuff can be laughed off. Networks would never allow people to defend racists though.

Afrikan

Cam Inman @CamInman

The expected moves indeed RT @RapSheet: Source: #49ers plan to cut CB Nnamdi Asomugha today, with the expected activation of CB Eric Wright.

have always been a Brock believer and I'm happy he is finally proving himself...and I hear good things about Wright...our GM has been trying to get him for a while now.

but that being said I wish we could still keep Nnambi (just in case of an injury), and release one of our backup scrub safeties. I'd rather have Nnambi fill in at Free Safety for Eric Reid than GARBAGE ASS Craig Duhl. We ain't paying Nnambi shit...heck I think Duhl is getting more money.

So what team do yall think will pick him up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom