• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Wild Card |OT| The Return of Jafar

squicken

Yeah, who would want a Pro Bowl QB*, ]

Right, if you like those guys, it's the best job. But if you aren't sold on that nucleus, then it is very unattractive, b/c they are kind of stuck with them

Though PD makes it sound like suh could leave? I guess I had thought they had recently re-done his deal?

So exactly how terrified are Broncos fans of this man coming to Denver to fuck your shit up?

Philip-Rivers-is-pumped-about-the-San-Diego-win-over-Cincinnati.gif
Eh, it will be a tough game, but I'm not too worried. Denver will probably play much better than last time, and the Chargers hav been more of a curse for the Colts than for Manning, as he's done a lot better against them in the division. Any given Sunday though, so we shall see.

andthebeatgoeson

Not showing up? He can't throw himself the ball. He was used mostly as a decoy and when they did throw his way he came away with a huge catch in a jump ball situation and then got the PI call.

The game plan seemed to use him as a decoy the whole time. Foles favorite targets seem to be Cooper and holding onto the ball.

Last 3 playoff games, he's gotten less than 50 yards receiving. Is it his QB or does he not have the skills to play at an elite level? I think he's a good 2nd option that leaves a lot to be desired. I could even argue he's really good-great, at times. Putting great seasons, year after year, coming up big in all big games...I'm not sure. And he has asked for a new contract 3 times. I would pick about 10 receivers over him.

Godslay

Banned
I do not know, lately there seems to be more hostility from Pats fans to Denver fans than either group shows towards the Colts.
Oh, yeah, there are hardly any Colt fans and none that live in Indiana.

It's fine. We've been catching hate every since Peyton came along. With all the greatness comes the baggage as well. Fair trade in my eyes.

So exactly how terrified are Broncos fans of this man coming to Denver to fuck your shit up?

Philip-Rivers-is-pumped-about-the-San-Diego-win-over-Cincinnati.gif

Why should we be terrified? It's out of our hands, either they win or they lose. All we can do is watch. To be fearful or terrified is a wasted emotion. If the Broncos execute, they'll win. If they play sloppy football they won't. I respect the results that the Chargers have had so far, so I personally am not overlooking them. They're playing power football and winning.

Bowser

It is quite rare for a home team to be an underdog in the divisional round. From 1993 through 2012, home teams were favored in 77-of-80 divisional-round matchups, with one game rated a pick ‘em, according to Marc Lawrence and Jim Feist point spread archives.

Ironically, the only home underdogs in this span were the 2011 49ers and 1996 Panthers. Both teams pulled upsets, with San Francisco knocking off New Orleans 36-32 as a three-point underdog on January 14, 2012 and Carolina beating three-point favorite Dallas 26-17 on January 5, 1997.

The Panthers, for what it’s worth, have a knack for exceeding expectations as underdogs in the divisional round. In addition to 1996, the Panthers won outright as underdogs in the 2003 and 2005 divisional rounds, per Lawrence data.

For the record, the Panthers have only been favored once in the divisional round.

You might recall how that ended.

The Panthers, who were favored by 10 points, lost 33-13 to the visiting Cardinals in the 2008 postseason.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...to-follow-path-of-home-underdogs-before-them/

Leggo

MRSA

Banned
Whats this negative temperature shit you guys keep talking about? Its in the high seventies here. Chance of rain on Thursday.

cdyhybrid

Jessamyn McIntyre ‏@JessamynESPN 3m
#Seahawks @DougBaldwinJr on @Percy_Harvin at practice: "He looks good, he looks healthy - he told me he feels really good."
Retweeted by 710 ESPN Seattle

#TheReturn

What world is this?

Seahawks secured the 1 seed and got like 30 seconds on Sportscenter. Sure, we were picked highly (along with SF) but outside of that no one talks about us.

Lol go take a list at the predictions for the majority of the media. By far the Seahawks are in the Super Bowl. Of course west coast teams aren't talked about in sportscenter when the cowboys and jets and giants etc exist

Bowser

Panthers have never won after a bye under Rivera.

Ps

What happened last time the #2 seeded panthers played an NFC west wild card team in the divisional?

Pussy Rivera is 0-3 following a bye.

Riverboat Ron is untested. Giants game doesn't count as Riverboat Ron because he actually thought we had 1st and Goal instead of 4th and inches on the Mike Tolbert run.

As for your second point, it says right there in the quoted part you dope!

This time it's different, no one expects us to win.

Hmmm so many people seem down on the Broncos chances even though we're a 10 point favorite. Oh well, the locals still have that Baltimore loss burning in their souls, haven't seen the city still upset about a playoff loss since that crazy loss to Jacksonville years and years ago.

Pick the one that will keep you alive better.

Well I have to pick one first...I think I'll pick the hip young up and comer over the vet since I'm still young enough where I shouldn't have to use him all that much and if I did the younger one might know the newer tricks to keeping me alive.

bionic77

Whats this negative temperature shit you guys keep talking about? Its in the high seventies here. Chance of rain on Thursday.
Get fucked. I had to get up at 4 to go or a hearing in some shitstain in the middle of PA and had to drive through fog, ice and snow. What a horrible drive.

effzee

Last 3 playoff games, he's gotten less than 50 yards receiving. Is it his QB or does he not have the skills to play at an elite level? I think he's a good 2nd option that leaves a lot to be desired. I could even argue he's really good-great, at times. Putting great seasons, year after year, coming up big in all big games...I'm not sure. And he has asked for a new contract 3 times. I would pick about 10 receivers over him.

I can't speak for the games in the past because right now they are a blur but if you watched this game you know it wasn't just that he wasn't into it or didn't give effort.

He almost broke a punt return. He fought for a jump ball which is impressive for a guy his size. Again he can't throw himself the ball.

Did the Saints have something to do with it? Probably. But he can't also call the plays to himself. The one time they threw him the ball on a crossing pattern he turned a 2 yard gain into a first.

That is where I am calling Chip's play calling into question. If the Saints were taking the deep stuff away, they should have gotten him the ball more on the short crossing patterns or the WR screens we used to use quite a bit earlier in the season.

And sure you can pick 10 WRs better than him but they aren't available. And the threat of him going deep opens up a lot of stuff for whoever is the #2 guy. No way Cooper is having the season he just had if Desean isn't the guy the defenses are double teaming rolling safeties over to not be beat deep.

Eagles should restructure his contract to give him more guaranteed money now and take less of a cap hit. Their cap situation is actually really good. I want to see Maclin, Desean, and Cooper together now. I do wonder if they can re-sign both. Of the two though I want Maclin back more.

Godslay

Banned
Hmmm so many people seem down on the Broncos chances even though we're a 10 point favorite. Oh well, the locals still have that Baltimore loss burning in their souls, haven't seen the city still upset about a playoff loss since that crazy loss to Jacksonville years and years ago.

I've come to terms with it, but it's still a scar. Unless Denver wants a Rivers banner on Mile High like Flacco had the privilege of getting, the Broncos better take care of business.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Lol the Seahawks have been placed in the Super Bowl from the beginning of the season. Niners are getting love today, Seahawks have had their dicks sucked all year. The games are played on the field not in the media. I'm just glad florio hates the niners and loves the Seahawks. It lets me know I am right

Yeah don't need to hear it from the shitty band-wagoning hawks fans who didn't know their team existed until two years ago. Not only obnoxious but lucky as hell that the 49ers were robbed of a win on a terribad call that would have put Seattle as the 5th seed where they'd have zero chance to make a superbowl run. Only a slightly above average team on the road they'd have never run the gauntlet of 3 road games to the superbowl. As it is they have a good chance only because they have to win only 2 and their home field advantage is just insane (thanks pumped in volume plus closed in acoustics). Stick it hawks fans. Stick it.

MRSA

Banned
Get fucked. I had to get up at 4 to go or a hearing in some shitstain in the middle of PA and had to drive through fog, ice and snow. What a horrible drive.

You're representing jakncoke? You have my sympathies old man.

You know what's a nice drive? Going up PCH on the weekends, can get crowded but you got a ton of females in bikinis driving. When I'm on my motorcycle I split lanes and tend to stop right next to them. Creepin at its finest.

cdyhybrid

Yeah don't need to hear it from the shitty band-wagoning hawks fans who didn't know their team existed until two years ago. Not only obnoxious but lucky as hell that the 49ers were robbed of a win on a terribad call that would have put Seattle as the 5th seed where they'd have zero chance to make a superbowl run. Only a slightly above average team on the road they'd have never run the gauntlet of 3 road games to the superbowl. As it is they have a good chance only because they have to win only 2 and their home field advantage is just insane (thanks pumped in volume plus closed in acoustics). Stick it hawks fans. Stick it.

Remember when you guys made Joe Flacco a Super Bowl MVP?

I can't speak for the games in the past because right now they are a blur but if you watched this game you know it wasn't just that he wasn't into it or didn't give effort.

He almost broke a punt return. He fought for a jump ball which is impressive for a guy his size. Again he can't throw himself the ball.

Did the Saints have something to do with it? Probably. But he can't also call the plays to himself. The one time they threw him the ball on a crossing pattern he turned a 2 yard gain into a first.

That is where I am calling Chip's play calling into question. If the Saints were taking the deep stuff away, they should have gotten him the ball more on the short crossing patterns or the WR screens we used to use quite a bit earlier in the season.

And sure you can pick 10 WRs better than him but they aren't available. And the threat of him going deep opens up a lot of stuff for whoever is the #2 guy. No way Cooper is having the season he just had if Desean isn't the guy the defenses are double teaming rolling safeties over to not be beat deep.

Eagles should restructure his contract to give him more guaranteed money now and take less of a cap hit. Their cap situation is actually really good. I want to see Maclin, Desean, and Cooper together now. I do wonder if they can re-sign both. Of the two though I want Maclin back more.
Djax only had 6 targets in that game. That is laughable. Saints were able to shut down the run so easily because they only had to single Djax. Foles should have been able to make them pay for that but he was afraid to test Lewis. As soon as he went out he started going to Djax. Some times even if a guy is covered you have to give him a chance. I really hope Foles learned from this game.

JABEE

The Seahawks are a good football team. They are the 1st seed. They are Super Bowl contenders.

JABEE

Djax only had 6 targets in that game. That is laughable. Saints were able to shut down the run so easily because they only had to single Djax. Foles should have been able to make them pay for that but he was afraid to test Lewis. As soon as he went out he started going to Djax. Some times even if a guy is covered you have to give him a chance. I really hope Foles learned from this game.

Desean was also open twice on targets that would have led to crucial first downs. Foles missed on him twice. He pretty much caught everything that was catchable.

MRSA

Banned
Future Oakland Raider bust Jameis Winston will be in action tonight.

I'm sorry, the Raiders of new don't draft guys of low moral standards, especially those who were accused of sexual assault. The Steelers would welcome him with open arms though.

Fantomex

I'm sorry, the Raiders of new don't draft guys of low moral standards, especially those who were accused of sexual assault. The Steelers would welcome him with open arms though.

Hey Focker, why don't you throw a superbowl party in the room you rent out?

bionic77

You're representing jakncoke? You have my sympathies old man.

You know what's a nice drive? Going up PCH on the weekends, can get crowded but you got a ton of females in bikinis driving. When I'm on my motorcycle I split lanes and tend to stop right next to them. Creepin at its finest.
It sucks balls driving in SoCal. At least in my limited experience. The drivers are fucking horrible too. Though the bikini part sounds nice. Something to do when you are stuck in traffic for the rest of your life.

Worst drivers I have seen in US was easily Miami. It was like being in a 3rd world country.

It sucks balls driving in SoCal. At least in my limited experience. The drivers are fucking horrible too. Though the bikini part sounds nice. Something to do when you are stuck in traffic for the rest of your life.

Worst drivers I have seen in US was easily Miami. It was like being in a 3rd world country.

Driving does suck down here but driving down PCH is the exception (except for major holidays, stay the hell away)

cdyhybrid

Well, you ARE in Florida.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Great win by the 49ers yesterday in tough conditions. Both teams played pretty well everything considered and the game came down to just a handful of plays. I was especially impressed by the effort the Packers put forward with the early injuries.

Going to be a broken record again and reiterate that the national narrative that the 49ers are a great running team is all wrong unless they are running the read option which they haven't all year. Heavy set formations probably only average like 1yd and any situation where the other team knows they are going to run is a lost cause before the ball is even snapped. They simply can't impose their will on other teams and run at will. Their offensive line simply isn't that good no matter how many times the national-broadcaster-of-the-week keeps saying they are awesome. They do run OK if they don't play a heavy set (more holes to run through) and they certainly pass it better without 3 tight ends where only one of them can catch the ball at all.

The stats on the 49ers running game this year indicates that it was only average at best and even that is misleading because Kaep accounts for a number of those. Gore averaged 4.0yds/carry but I think that is also misleading as he tends to go nowhere for like 6 runs and then run one for 12 yards (basically can't sustain getting first downs). So I went looking to see if anyone tracked a median yards per rush to see if that would explain it and came up empty. However, I stumbled upon Advanced NFL stats (http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?year=2013&pos=RB&season=all) which uses a Win Probability stat for each player and there you go....Gore is ranked 60th out of all qualifying backs in terms of his contribution when he is involved in the play. I don't the exact stats they use to generate that number but needless to say that is not good and might explain what I am seeing on the field. Now, obviously, I think Gore is worth way more than that and part of that stat is trying to run him through non-existent holes with the heavy set formations the 49ers like to run all the time. None of our backs ran well behind the current o-line so either the play calling isn't good or they just aren't good or a combination of the two. Hell, even pass protection has not been good at all...Kaep frequently only has maybe 1 second before he has to step up or step wide so I'm more likely to blame the line play for the run as well.

Next article: Debunking the bullshit narrative that Kaep slumped this year. :p

Top Bottom