• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2013 Wild Card |OT| The Return of Jafar

cdyhybrid

Great win by the 49ers yesterday in tough conditions. Both teams played pretty well everything considered and the game came down to just a handful of plays. I was especially impressed by the effort the Packers put forward with the early injuries.

Going to be a broken record again and reiterate that the national narrative that the 49ers are a great running team is all wrong unless they are running the read option which they haven't all year. Heavy set formations probably only average like 1yd and any situation where the other team knows they are going to run is a lost cause before the ball is even snapped. They simply can't impose their will on other teams and run at will. Their offensive line simply isn't that good no matter how many times the national-broadcaster-of-the-week keeps saying they are awesome. They do run OK if they don't play a heavy set (more holes to run through) and they certainly pass it better without 3 tight ends where only one of them can catch the ball at all.

The stats on the 49ers running game this year indicates that it was only average at best and even that is misleading because Kaep accounts for a number of those. Gore averaged 4.0yds/carry but I think that is also misleading as he tends to go nowhere for like 6 runs and then run one for 12 yards (basically can't sustain getting first downs). So I went looking to see if anyone tracked a median yards per rush to see if that would explain it and came up empty. However, I stumbled upon Advanced NFL stats (http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?year=2013&pos=RB&season=all) which uses a Win Probability stat for each player and there you go....Gore is ranked 60th out of all qualifying backs in terms of his contribution when he is involved in the play. I don't the exact stats they use to generate that number but needless to say that is not good and might explain what I am seeing on the field. Now, obviously, I think Gore is worth way more than that and part of that stat is trying to run him through non-existent holes with the heavy set formations the 49ers like to run all the time. None of our backs ran well behind the current o-line so either the play calling isn't good or they just aren't good or a combination of the two. Hell, even pass protection has not been good at all...Kaep frequently only has maybe 1 second before he has to step up or step wide so I'm more likely to blame the line play for the run as well.

Next article: Debunking the bullshit narrative that Kaep slumped this year. :p

Niners suck.

Oregon CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu and Oregon State QB Sean Mannion returning to college next season.

bionic77

I hope Tom doesn't catch a domestic violence charge before Saturday..or file one

BdVYKZvIUAAFtu_1.jpg-large1.jpg
You should be more worried about the blow to his ego that his wife has the stronger arm.

Not even strap on night is going to cheer him up after that humiliation. She is already more athletic than him. Now she is winning snow ball fights with the better arm too? Huge distraction for the Pats and potential divorce material. Tammy will be ok though and will probably get a decent amount of alimony.

cdyhybrid

College football is just a poor product compared to the pros. Yay they are crappy, scrappy 20yr olds running around?

Yeah, they don't even play defense. Look at the Chiefs/Colts game, that's what I call real football!

You still wouldn't be invited, especially since you'd only bring a bag of 99 cent chicharron from your local run down Mexican liquor store.

Marcel Reece is the best FB in the NFL.

He's a Husky, of course he is!

Niners are one of the flagship bandwagon destinations. Sorry brah. You can remedy this by rooting for the Panthers this weekend so all the lifelongs go away, though.

Dude we've seen more than one person on GAF, of all places, bandwagon the Seahawks because they were winning.

Back from my exile at the woman's house.....ha ha at Fatman Reid and the Chefs. Colossal playoff failure at the hands of the sasquatch! Eagles I guess gave it a decent shot. And the Bungles, oh the Bungles. The only team to get whipped by double digits over the weekend. And I was actually kind of impressed with the Packers D hanging in like they did, though I guess it's a bit easier to do when you're playing against Colin Can'tThrowALick.

cdyhybrid

Good at home, average on the road. Only a 1 seed because the 49ers were robbed by a terrible referee mistake. Yes, salty.

Seahawks have been the victim of awful reffing too, happens to every team at some point.

Deal with it.

Dude we've seen more than one person on GAF, of all places, bandwagon the Seahawks because they were winning.

I mean in real life though. There are a looooooooooooooooot more people bandwagoning the Niners than the Hawks.

squicken

Interesting info about Devon Bess/David Nelson. I think a lot of the stuff that comes out just makes it seem like Banner/Haslam didn't think Chud ran a tight ship

Grossi Warning--BG don't look

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=27151

3. Why didn't wide receiver David Nelson make the final roster cut?

The tall, angular free agent missed some time in OTAs rehabbing a torn ACL with a private trainer in Dallas and then left for three days to pursue his personal passion of building an orphanage in Haiti. Nelson’s knee suffered a setback in training camp. He missed several practices and the first three preseason games. Nelson played in the fourth game and was obviously rusty, but did catch some passes from Hoyer. Nevertheless, Nelson was released at the final cut on Aug. 31. The Jets signed Nelson in October. He proceeded to have a better season than drop-prone Davone Bess, who was acquired in a trade on draft weekend and instantly awarded a three-year contract extension with $5.7 million in guarantees. In an untimely climax to this issue, Nelson tormented the Browns with two touchdown catches in the Jets’ 24-13 win in Game 15 – while Bess was de-activated because of “personal issues.” According to a source, owner Jimmy Haslam was outraged watching Nelson beat his team after suffering Bess’ 14 dropped passes – and one humungous punt in the loss in Kansas City.

4. What exactly happened to Bess?

Citing confidentiality and respect to Bess, the club refused to explain why Bess was put on the “non-football illness” list the day before Game 15 against the Jets. The club also refused to comment on an Instagram photo – later deleted -- of Bess lighting a brown, unevenly rolled “cigarette” that looked like a marijuana blunt. Chudzinski merely said Bess was dealing with “family” and “personal” issues. A source later said that Bess privately regretted coming to Cleveland, hated the cold weather and was stressed by his horrendous season to the point where he essentially quit the team.

But Chud didn't trade for Bess. Whose mistake was that?

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Yeah, they don't even play defense. Look at the Chiefs/Colts game, that's what I call real football!

It is also why I don't watch MLS or second division soccer when one can actually watch the best. Nope, don't do college basketball either...yay a bunch of scrappy kids trying hard.

Not really sure why people watch sports that don't represent the best unless they are watching their kids play.

bionic77

Back from my exile's at the woman's house.....ha ha at Fatman Reid and the Chefs. Colossal playoff failure at the hands of the sasquatch! Eagles I guess gave it a decent shot. And the Bungles, oh the Bungles. The only team to get whipped by double digits over the weekend. And I was actually kind of impressed with the Packers D hanging in like they did, though I guess it's a bit easier to do when you're playing against Colin Can'tThrowALick.
The Bungles in the playoffs is really the only thing we can still depend on. Despite the leagues effort to make shitty teams into SB champions the Bungles refuse to follow the script and stick to their roots of sucking balls.

God bless Marvin Lewis.

cdyhybrid

Back from my exile at the woman's house.....ha ha at Fatman Reid and the Chefs. Colossal playoff failure at the hands of the sasquatch! Eagles I guess gave it a decent shot. And the Bungles, oh the Bungles. The only team to get whipped by double digits over the weekend. And I was actually kind of impressed with the Packers D hanging in like they did, though I guess it's a bit easier to do when you're playing against Colin Can'tThrowALick.

No wonder Steelers-Age is always so grumpy, they all get dominated by their wives. I'm never getting married.

lol cats. Cats suck. Dogs>cats any day.

You're alright Gata. Cats are alright but dogs are clearly better.

Interesting info about Devon Bess/David Nelson. I think a lot of the stuff that comes out just makes it seem like Banner/Haslam didn't think Chud ran a tight ship

Grossi Warning--BG don't look

But Chud didn't trade for Bess. Whose mistake was that?

I keep hearing chud for OC, thoughts?

Not that it'll happen since you know...we suck.

offtopic

Seahawks have been the victim of awful reffing too, happens to every team at some point.

Deal with it.

Most teams don't lose a game on a terrible game-changing call late in the game with almost no opportunity to respond to that mistake. I'm not talking about terrible calls made in the first half or something...the call on Brooks absolutely decided the New Orleans game. Most of the time that doesn't decide the playoff seeding so dramatically.

Of course, hawks fans just think it'll always go their way since it hasn't happened to them and they have all been fans for only two years and only remember the Fail Mary. Yes, you probably aren't even in the playoffs at all last year if that is called correctly (which was obvious to anyone who wasn't a hawks fan).

Mollymauk

Jessamyn McIntyre ‏@JessamynESPN 3m
#Seahawks @DougBaldwinJr on @Percy_Harvin at practice: "He looks good, he looks healthy - he told me he feels really good."
Retweeted by 710 ESPN Seattle

#TheReturn

Pete, you glorious bastard. The ultimate rope-a-dope. Hold out a star player all season due to "injury" only to unleash him in the playoffs. Pure genius.

rando14

Most teams don't lose a game on a terrible game-changing call late in the game with almost no opportunity to respond to that mistake. I'm not talking about terrible calls made in the first half or something...the call on Brooks absolutely decided the New Orleans game. Most of the time that doesn't decide the playoff seeding so dramatically.

Of course, hawks fans just think it'll always go their way since it hasn't happened to them and they have all been fans for only two years and only remember the Fail Mary. Yes, you probably aren't even in the playoffs at all last year if that is called correctly (which was obvious to anyone who wasn't a hawks fan).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A

Jesus christ take it easy, you're putting way too much anger and energy into something that doesn't even matter lol!!

No wonder Steelers-Age is always so grumpy, they all get dominated by their wives. I'm never getting married.

Not married...just spend most weekends at her place doing shit for her, this week it was removing all remnants of xmas. She's cool enough that she lets me put the football games on in the background though. I thought her comment was funny though, "I don't mind watching your team's games, but your team isn't in it, so fuck the playoffs!"

The Bungles in the playoffs is really the only thing we can still depend on. Despite the leagues effort to make shitty teams into SB champions the Bungles refuse to follow the script and stick to their roots of sucking balls.

God bless Marvin Lewis.

I foolishly thought they could go deep this year cause the AFC was so weak. But never underestimate the power of the bungle.

cdyhybrid

If your owner wasn't such a greedy shit and pushed for the real refs to get paid that never would have happened. Sorry brah.

P.S. A phantom PI on Golden Tate cost us the Colts game. We'd have locked up the #1 seed 3 weeks ago without that loss.

Pete, you glorious bastard. The ultimate rope-a-dope. Hold out a star player all season due to "injury" only to unleash him in the playoffs. Pure genius.

Pete would never do such an underhanded thing. Percy has a history of injury, after all - we just got lucky that he was able to recover in time for the playoffs!

OMG my fucking eyes Squicken!
No but I don't mind Grossi's articles, some of them are good. I just wanted you see his bias and kind of douchness if he's the only one you'll get your Browns news from. Notice on the Trent trade he didn't mention Lombardis name once, and gave all the credit to Banner.

AJ McCarron @10AJMcCarron

Let's go Auburn!!!!! Bring it back home. I will be rooting for my boys @TreMason21 & @NineORhino wish u boys the best of luck. #RTRWarEagle

McCarron's trying to get his house burnt down. Those rednecks in Tuscaloosa don't play

squicken

I keep hearing chud for OC, thoughts?

Not that it'll happen since you know...we suck.

I like Chud. Maybe he isn't a head coach. That was the stuff that came out about him when he interviewed for the Rams job. Couldn't work the big room so to speak. But he made Derek Anderson and Cam Newton look like big time passers. MIA's offense would look like crap with Bill Walsh until they do something about the OL imo

squicken

OMG my fucking eyes Squicken!
No but I don't mind Grossi's articles, some of them are good. I just wanted you see his bias and kind of douchness if he's the only one you'll get your Browns news from. Notice on the Trent trade he didn't mention Lombardis name once, and gave all the credit to Banner.

That's a good point. Which is why I wonder why he didn't take the opportunity to dump on him as far as the Bess contract. He almost makes Lombardi look like Banner's puppet

Fantomex

Dolphins first five round picks should go on offensive linemen. This after signing Albert from the Chefs. The laws of mathematics are in our favor.

cdyhybrid

Talking shit about sports is considered angry these days? Kids...

But, yeah, one game changing call has given the hawks a chance to make a super bowl run. I'm salty dammit!

We would have trashed you guys at Candleshit last season if we hadn't frauded it up in the first half in ATL, if it makes you feel better.

I like Chud. Maybe he isn't a head coach. That was the stuff that came out about him when he interviewed for the Rams job. Couldn't work the big room so to speak. But he made Derek Anderson and Cam Newton look like big time passers. MIA's offense would look like crap with Bill Walsh until they do something about the OL imo

Well yeah I'm hoping whoever the GM is spend the first 3 picks on an Oline.

MRSA

Banned
Dolphins first five round picks should go on offensive linemen. This after signing Albert from the Chefs. The laws of mathematics are in our favor.

Brandon Albert is an average LT and Dolphins can't draft worth shit. Raiders tricked them into the #3 pick for that bum Dion Jordan.

We would have trashed you guys at Candleshit last season if we hadn't frauded it up in the first half in ATL, if it makes you feel better.

lol you haven't won in candlestick in like 6 years. we have at least one in seattle in that time. suck our dicks we would have fucked you up as usual at the stick. and if by frauded it up you mean have a dumb ass coach then yeah you frauded it up

cdyhybrid

lol you haven't won in candlestick in like 6 years. we have at least one in seattle in that time. suck our dicks we would have fucked you up as usual at the stick. and if by frauded it up you mean have a dumb ass coach then yeah you frauded it up

That's exactly what I mean by frauded it up! Kaep was shook after that beatdown at the CLink, it would have been easy pickings.

Edit: I just found an extra beer in the fridge I forgot I had, fuck yeah!

McCarron's trying to get his house burnt down. Those rednecks in Tuscaloosa don't play

Has he gone crazy?
I saw his mom tweeted out a Tre mason shirt too :lol
That's a good point. Which is why I wonder why he didn't take the opportunity to dump on him as far as the Bess contract. He almost makes Lombardi look like Banner's puppet
He'll never give him credit for anything, and will go out of his way to try and throw him under the bus.

offtopic

Ummm...sure you would have. I'm specifically salty because I think the 49ers in their current form would win 8 out of 10 games against the Hawks at home, 7 of 10 on a neutral field and maybe just 1 of 10 up in Seattle. The 49ers offense just doesn't work when it is loud. Hell, it is awkward even when everyone can hear everything.

rando14

biiiiiiiiitch I ain't scared, new stadium is in Santa Clara and there isnt even enough parking so there wont even be enough people at the game to give you a crowd HFA!! :cool:

Talking shit about sports is considered angry these days? Kids...

But, yeah, one game changing call has given the hawks a chance to make a super bowl run. I'm salty dammit!

Sorry brother I couldnt tell, I dont see you post too much so I cant gauge how much is anger or good natured ribbing!! My bad!!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Right, if you like those guys, it's the best job. But if you aren't sold on that nucleus, then it is very unattractive, b/c they are kind of stuck with them

Though PD makes it sound like suh could leave? I guess I had thought they had recently re-done his deal?

What are the other options? The Titans? The Vikings? The Lions have been the most attractive job from day one, and I'm sure we'll have Whisenhunt when the time comes.

No way Mayhew lets Suh walk. He is still under his rookie contract, but I think re-signing Suh long term will be our No. #1 priority this offseason. Mayhew drafted Suh, he knows how important he is to our defense. Fairley will be the one we'll have to let go in two seasons or so, but Suh will be a Lion.

BTW I haven't posted lately, but Sammy Watkins had an unbelievable bowl game. I don't think he falls to us at #10. Hell if the Rams can't trade down from #2 you guys should draft him and draft o-line, defense whatever at #13. You can't pass up on a guy like Watkins.

cdyhybrid

What are the other options? The Titans? The Vikings? The Lions have been the most attractive job from day one, and I'm sure we'll have Whisenhunt when the time comes.

No way Mayhew lets Suh walk. He is still under his rookie contract, but I think re-signing Suh long term will be our No. #1 priority this offseason. Mayhew drafted Suh, he knows how important he is to our defense. Fairley will be the one we'll have to let go in two seasons or so, but Suh will be a Lion.

BTW I haven't posted lately, but Sammy Watkins had an unbelievable bowl game. I don't think he falls to us at #10. Hell if the Rams can't trade down from #2 you guys should draft him and draft o-line, defense whatever at #13. You can't pass up on a guy like Watkins.

Watkins probably gets drafted in front of Lee at this point.

squicken

Yeah he was awesome. I'd love the Rams to get him, but as long as Schotty is the OC, I'm not gonna get worked up about any player in the draft. He'll just fuck it up.

Greg Robinson is the other guy I'm really interested in seeing. Auburn's LT. So hard to get an idea b/c Auburn runs so much. No idea how he will handle pass blocking

Top Bottom