• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 1 |OT| 0-0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrayfield

So, we're beating the stinking Patriots, right guys?

Now that would be something. But I just don't see that happen. Just want to stay half-way competitive in that game.

Late games means going to a bar is either impossible or not practical.

Honestly, the 24 hour blackout for playoffs doesn't bother me too much. There's usually like two games each week that have this as well, often the bigger matchups, too. But since so many of the games are so late, there's no way I'm staying up in the first place. So waiting til Monday/Tuesday to watch doesn't kill me. It does require a bit of planning and forcefully avoiding any NFL news or discussion, but eh, what other option do I have, really?

All in all, Gamepass is still way better than normal Primetime TV watching in the States. You get access to ALL games, you can go back and watch any game back through 2009, you get the coach's tape(which is awesome for dissecting what's going on with pass routes and coverage), you get fast forward and rewind and with non-live games, there's often a feed where it skips all the breaks and commercials, which means watching an entire game in less than an hour, and I can also watch anything on my phone or iPad.

Its not cheap at all, but I cant say I don't get my money's worth. You've gotta be pretty big into football, though.

Biggest thing I miss from the States is just going to the bar to watch games with friends. Other than that, I kinda actually prefer watching NFL with Gamepass.

I tend to stay too long in the bar and the guys know me and I run my own team so I am late on Monday mornings. These are all luxuries that I will probably have to give up on. Btw, no blackouts in Germany so I might just VPN those out if I get Gamepass, which I probably will tonight before 2.30 a.m. What's $200 anyway, I will easily get my money's worth of football (probably not Dolphins-related tho).

I'm curious to hear what Pats fans are thinking about heading into week one against the Dolphins. Any concerns with the Pats or the Phins? Expecting a walk in the park or a tough divisional fight?

jakncoke

Banned
Just 12 hours to go before football comes and goes in a blink of an eye. Too bad we didnt have a competent spring/summer league to follow that had more or less the same rules and field designs of NFL. No CFL doesnt count ShaneB

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Just 12 hours to go before football comes and goes in a blink of an eye. Too bad we didnt have a competent spring/summer league to follow that had more or less the same rules and field designs of NFL. No CFL doesnt count ShaneB

They should probably extend the season out but then add a few more bye weeks in the process. Too many Sundays I'm wanting to watch all the games at once at the 1pm slot.

bionic77

The short season makes it better and makes you want it more in the offseason.

The hilarious part is when others peoples teams suck and they start to look forward to the offseason (I said other peoples teams because I have now convinced myself that the Steelers are going to go deep in the playoffs this year).

ShaneB

Watch me play Madden. It could go very wrong for me Panthers.

http://www.twitch.tv/jabee92/

I would've watched if I had been awake :( I don't play many games anymore, but when I played in my Madden 08 PC league, the biggest fun was streaming the games. And now with having upgraded to Madden 15, I figure more folks here will want to watch from time to time.

god damn game pass man

" Certain restrictions & blackouts apply.
** Live access to Postseason & Super Bowl is not available in the UK/Ireland due to broadcast restrictions."

SO I have to pay for this to watch the season £99 and then for post season watch on sky....

not cool.

Sigh, as much as I love gamepass, yeah, paying that much for Football should bring a null and void to all blackout nonsense. It's easy enough to get around, so why have it at all? Same with the video archive stuff that's there. Not available to me in Canada, but easy enough to get around and get to it. Not a big deal since NFL Now I like, but GamePass is damn expensive, so why not offer all of it everywhere. Bah.

CFL counts! But yes, it's not the same, and I stopped tuning in this season when the league balance felt all out of whack, and it seemed every game was a blowout. That and the giant field still bothers me.

Bacon

Just want to pop in here to share my excitement for the NFL season starting up again!

Can't wait to sit back Sunday and pop on redzone and not move for 10 hours straight, the way god intended.

Giants are my team, and things aren't looking so good for them now though =/

I'm curious to hear what Pats fans are thinking about heading into week one against the Dolphins. Any concerns with the Pats or the Phins? Expecting a walk in the park or a tough divisional fight?

I never expect walks in the park when it comes to divisional games (I never expect walks in the park ever, really). The Dolphins might be a team on the rise, they showed us that last year when you won 1 game and gave us one hell of a fight in the other one.

We can look at this from both sides. From the Patriots perspective I believe the team overall should be better than last year. On defense with the addition of Revis, the comeback of Wilfork and Mayo and other players feeling more at home at their positions i.e. McCourty and Collins. The offense will depend on how Brady plays, he wasn't always sharp last season, but he still had great games. The addition of LaFell and the return of Gronk will help in the redzone and Edelman will still be Brady his go-to guy, so they can put up points on the Dolphins. The main problem in game one will probably be the Oline. With Mankins gone and a lot of other moving pieces and uncertainty on the line it will be difficult to stop the Dolphins. If they can get to Brady constantly that will be a problem for us.

Now from the Dolphins perspective: What did they really do to get better compared to last year? The Oline should be better, so if Tanny is any good he will need to show up now. Clay is probably going to wreck us this game. The Dline will be a problem for us, but innigan and Delmas will still be vulnerable through the air I think.

If the Pats Oline holds and gives Brady time then I think we have a good shot at winning this game, but that is a big if. Gonna be a close game either way.

Fox318

Can't find my Packers avatar. We are all doomed.

8aM1BQr.png

Skele7on

Banned
Sigh, as much as I love gamepass, yeah, paying that much for Football should bring a null and void to all blackout nonsense. It's easy enough to get around, so why have it at all? Same with the video archive stuff that's there. Not available to me in Canada, but easy enough to get around and get to it. Not a big deal since NFL Now I like, but GamePass is damn expensive, so why not offer all of it everywhere. Bah.

Completely, it's utter BS if I am paying them directly for the service I should get all games I shouldn't have to worry about contracts they have inplace with third parties, the contracts should be amended to exempt people who have gamepass from all the blackout BS.

Pro-tip, these types of posts tend to not go over very well with the NFL-GAF crowd, especially during game time.

Thanks for the tip, first year that I will be posting here, will make sure I shut up about fantasy when games are on.

Best part about fantasy football is the team names.

100% agree, My team name is "Curse Of Corbyn" Every time our buddy watches games with us some how all of our teams lose... therefore curse of corbyn.

Tom Penny

It's the first game so I wouldn't be shocked if the Pats lost in Miami. As far as the division if Brady doesn't get injured chalk up at least 10 wins so it really comes down to if the Phins, Bills or Jets can win at least that many games. The last time someone else took the division is when Brady when down and they were the only 11-5 team in history to not make the playoffs because it was a 3 way tie in division because stupid Brett Favre made like a 3rd and real long or something like that to beat the Pats :(

I never expect walks in the park when it comes to divisional games (I never expect walks in the park ever, really). The Dolphins might be a team on the rise, they showed us that last year when you won 1 game and gave us one hell of a fight in the other one.

We can look at this from both sides. From the Patriots perspective I believe the team overall should be better than last year. On defense with the addition of Revis, the comeback of Wilfork and Mayo and other players feeling more at home at their positions i.e. McCourty and Collins. The offense will depend on how Brady plays, he wasn't always sharp last season, but he still had great games. The addition of LaFell and the return of Gronk will help in the redzone and Edelman will still be Brady his go-to guy, so they can put up points on the Dolphins. The main problem in game one will probably be the Oline. With Mankins gone and a lot of other moving pieces and uncertainty on the line it will be difficult to stop the Dolphins. If they can get to Brady constantly that will be a problem for us.

Now from the Dolphins perspective: What did they really do to get better compared to last year? The Oline should be better, so if Tanny is any good he will need to show up now. Clay is probably going to wreck us this game. The Dline will be a problem for us, but innigan and Delmas will still be vulnerable through the air I think.

If the Pats Oline holds and gives Brady time then I think we have a good shot at winning this game, but that is a big if. Gonna be a close game either way.
Thanks for the insight, my friend. Good points all around, I'd say.

I think the biggest advantage the Pats have in this game is stability. You mention moving pieces on the o-line, imagine having five new starters and a completely new offense. The Dolphins offense is such a huge question mark, I honestly have no idea what to expect from them. One thing I will say is I don't expect the running game to do a whole lot as Wilfork has dominated Satele his entire career (part of why the Dolphins got rid of him to begin with). On top of that the new o-line is clearly built around a pass blocking first mentality.

I guess the one thing Miami has going for it with all the new stuff is the element of surprise. No one really knows what to expect from Lazor, and he has made some comments suggesting we really haven't seen the offense in its final form yet, particularly in terms of tempo.

I am worried about the LB's and secondary. Brady has made a career out of his quick release and you aren't going to get pressure on him unless you can cover well for at least a few seconds. I don't know if Delmas, Innegan, or any of the LB's can manage that against the skill position players of the Pats. Also, don't forget the Dolphins are missing their star safety Reshad Jones so Jimmy Wilson will be starting. More question marks.

All of that said, I think Miami will keep it close unless the offense self-destructs and turns the ball over a lot. Should be a good game. I will probably have a heart attack.

jakncoke

Banned
Seattle police will be attending the game in Packers gear to bust belligerent Seahawks fans who pick on opposing fans.

I wonder if NFL is the worst at this. I know when I went to the Browns/Steelers game , the steelers fans in my section were harassed to no end. 2 rows ahead of there was woman who had so much beer spilled on them.

I don't think Clay will wreck us; BB will probably scheme him out of the game like the last time they played Miami by shadowing Talib on him at times. He only had 1 catch, but granted it was an important one.

gutshot

For comparison sake, here is the 2014 list:

1. Aaron Rodgers $22,000,000
2. Matt Ryan $20,750,000
3. Joe Flacco $20,100,000
4. Drew Brees $20,000,000
5. Peyton Manning $19,200,000
6. Colin Kaepernick $19,000,000
7. Calvin Johnson $18,812,500
8. Jay Cutler $18,100,000
9. Tony Romo $18,000,000
10. Matthew Stafford $17,670,000
11. J.J. Watt $17,670,000
12. Eli Manning $16,250,000
13. Larry Fitzgerald $16,062,500
14. Andy Dalton $16,000,000
15. Mario Williams $16,000,000
16. Darrelle Revis $16,000,000
17. Philip Rivers $15,300,000
18. Alex Smith $15,100,000
19. Ben Roethlisberger $14,660,000
20. Julius Peppers $14,000,000

rando14

Sal Paolantonio of ESPN reports that tonight’s referee is John Parry. That’s significant because Parry’s crew called the most defensive holding and pass interference penalties of any officiating crew during the preseason. Parry’s crew also tied for the most defensive holding and pass interference calls of any officiating crew during the 2013 regular season.

So if there’s any officiating crew that’s going to force the Seahawks out of their physical — and successful — ways, it’s probably Parry’s crew.

iS8coVx0uQMKm.gif

Oh boy, can't wait for the 20+ flags tonight!!

I don't think Clay will wreck us; BB will probably scheme him out of the game like the last time they played Miami by shadowing Talib on him at times. He only had 1 catch, but granted it was an important one.
Yeah, that's how Bill operates for sure. You think Revis will follow Wallace all game? Wallace is going to be doing a lot more in this offense in terms of where he lines up and the types of routes he runs.

Thanks for the insight, my friend. Good points all around, I'd say.

I think the biggest advantage the Pats have in this game is stability. You mention moving pieces on the o-line, imagine having five new starters and a completely new offense. The Dolphins offense is such a huge question mark, I honestly have no idea what to expect from them. One thing I will say is I don't expect the running game to do a whole lot as Wilfork has dominated Satele his entire career (part of why the Dolphins got rid of him to begin with). On top of that the new o-line is clearly built around a pass blocking first mentality.

I guess the one thing Miami has going for it with all the new stuff is the element of surprise. No one really knows what to expect from Lazor, and he has made some comments suggesting we really haven't seen the offense in its final form yet, particularly in terms of tempo.

I am worried about the LB's and secondary. Brady has made a career out of his quick release and you aren't going to get pressure on him unless you can cover well for at least a few seconds. I don't know if Delmas, Innegan, or any of the LB's can manage that against the skill position players of the Pats. Also, don't forget the Dolphins are missing their star safety Reshad Jones so Jimmy Wilson will be starting. More question marks.

All of that said, I think Miami will keep it close unless the offense self-destructs and turns the ball over a lot. Should be a good game. I will probably have a heart attack.

Another thing that worries me is the Pats running game, which has been very weak in the pre-season. If you guys are able to take out our running game early and everything has to go through Brady behind a questionable Oline spells trouble.

Heart attacks all around.

Fox318

What will happen first:

Jets win a Super Bowl
Bears win a Super Bowl
Lions win a Super Bowl
Vikings win a Super Bowl
Peace in middle east

A dude sent me a clip of people trying to prank dudes in the 'hood' and all they do is getting beat to shit.

Some people are really fucking dumb.

I have this strange gut feeling that Green Bay wins tonight. Usually my gut feelings have some reasoning but this one is outta the blue. Just hit me a minute ago. The thug Seattle secondary isn't going to be able to maul GB's WRs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom