• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 10 |OT| - Fright Night

After the last two weeks Lacy has proven he should be the every down back. Stupid to switch in a guy like Harris unless you have to.
It's definitely better to have Lacy in the game to help the play action, I would agree there.

Has Lacy improved on 3rd down, though?

I seem to remember a lot of dumb runs to the outside getting stuffed.

didn't watch any of this game and glad I didn't. would have never missed a primetime game in the past but the games are so awful now. RZC is fun b/c any given game can be good, but as a whole, the level of play in the NFL just isn't as good as it used to be
IMO, it's cyclical. You had the read option shake things up a few years ago (and packaged plays and new look offenses, which are here to stay), and at roughly the same time you had strength and conditioning start to shift into the 21st century. AND at the same time they drastically changed the practice schedule under the new CBA. Some teams have kept up, others haven't.

Once everybody gets on board and the playing field levels, I think we'll see a more normal level of parity. Right now it's pretty ugly though.

squicken

IMO, it's cyclical. You had the read option shake things up a few years ago (and packaged plays and new look offenses, which are here to stay), and at roughly the same time you had strength and conditioning start to shift into the 21st century. AND at the same time they drastically changed the practice schedule under the new CBA. Some teams have kept up, others haven't.

Once everybody gets on board and the playing field levels, I think we'll see a more normal level of parity. Right now it's pretty ugly though.

Those are good points. It's just tough when you have something like today where the late games and the SNF game all matched up bad teams vs good ones and were ultimately non-competitive. I just don't remember this many blowouts happening 2-3 years ago let alone 15-20 years ago

I honestly can't believe the Bears have a head coach that has me longing for the days of Dave Wannstedt. Trestman needs to go, and he needs to go before the team gets back to the plane. He should take Mel Tucker with him too.

eznark

Banned
Those are good points. It's just tough when you have something like today where the late games and the SNF game all matched up bad teams vs good ones and were ultimately non-competitive. I just don't remember this many blowouts happening 2-3 years ago let alone 15-20 years ago

Why would you remember shitty games from 20 years ago. Of course you only remember the good ones, especially if you watched a ton of them.

cdyhybrid

didn't watch any of this game and glad I didn't. would have never missed a primetime game in the past but the games are so awful now. RZC is fun b/c any given game can be good, but as a whole, the level of play in the NFL just isn't as good as it used to be
You wanted this with all your bitching about teams that actually play D.

I do think that the magnitude of blowouts has changed with the tilt towards the passing game. Just going off memory (e.g. I have no stats backing this up, so I might be full of crap!), but it seems like good teams used to blow out bad ones with scores like 17-0 or 21-3. Now it's 45-17.

The 17-0 was just as dominating, but it felt closer.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
"3rd and 5, Matthew Stafford takes the snap"

"Escapes out of the pocket, avoids the pass rush he's going to run for the first down and continue the drive...."

"Stafford decides to sling it...TOUCHDOWN LIONS! TOUCHDOWN LIONS!"

d2ytX8A.gif

"Escapes out of the pocket, avoids the pass rush he's going to run for the first down and continue the drive...."

It was a pretty awesome throw. Whole drive was pretty solid. I was waiting for Stafford to screw the pooch, but he did a good job! Maybe he's turned the corner!

d2ytX8A.gif

That throw angle is unreal. Also I think last year game for the division title broke the Bears like the St. Louis Cardinals broke the Brewers when they beat them in the 2011 NLCS

Top Bottom