• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 10 |OT| - Fright Night

8CNnu6f.jpg

You know... the Rochester Jeffersons

eznark

Banned
Let's be honest though. For as bad as the Bears looked in this game, I still feel like the Atlanta demolishing of Tampa Bay earlier in the season was technically a worse game. This one only feels slightly different because the Bears at the time were still entertaining the thought that they might be able to turn the season around and actually do something.

One of these Bears radio hosts mentioned that Detroit will steamroll them too, but unless Trestman really does lose the team entirely, I'm not so sure I see that happening. Outside of the first week of the season, we really don't rout anybody.

Hard to blow teams out when you can't score points.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Bears are gonna be desperate enough to drop $20 million/year plus on Suh this offseason.

Suh will not leave a contending team for a shitty team with no future. It's not in his blood or mindset. This is the same stud who played for Nebraska and fucked Colt McCoy and the Longhorns single handily.

Suh will be a Lion next year. Quote me on that, whether we franchise him or sign him long term. Suh will get his money and some of the brand name recognition he deserves and wants. He'll get that recognition with a perrenial winning team not a team that will be looking for a new HC and QB like the Bears will be.

Suh will not leave a contending team for a shitty team with no future.

Suh will be a Lion next year. Quote me on that, whether we franchise him or sign him long term. Suh will get his money and some of the brand name recognition he deserves and wants. He'll get that recognition with a perrenial winning team not a team that will be looking for a new HC and QB like the Bears will be.

I think it's a 50/50 chance at this point, with the way this defense is playing and the role he has in the success. Don't know if we can afford his price tag long-term but I'm also unsure if he can replicate this success on any team that will have the long-term cap space for him (they'll all be teams rebuilding -- Jets, Chicago, Giants, Oakland, etc.)

KaYotiX

Banned
Suh will not leave a contending team for a shitty team with no future. It's not in his blood or mindset. This is the same stud who played for Nebraska and fucked Colt McCoy and the Longhorns single handily.

Suh seems like a greedy douche that would rather have more $ than wins.

You think they'll be able to pay both Suh and Fairley? Because they can't lose either and stay "contending"

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Suh seems like a greedy douche that would rather have more $ than wins.

Nothing greedy about getting paid what you're deserved. Suh works 365 days out of the year and loves the game.

He deserves to be paid the highest defensive player in the league and will be once Mayhew, Lewand and the front office figure out how to structure his contract.

Suh is not Albert Haynesworth. He's not going to play for the Raiders and lose for a few million extra dollars.

You think they'll be able to pay both Suh and Fairley? Because they can't lose either and stay "contending"

Fairley is gone and has been since the preseason. He's Shaun Rogers 2.0. Good riddance.

MechDX

Nothing greedy about getting paid what you're deserved. Suh works 365 days out of the year and loves the game.

He deserves to be laid the highest defensive player in the league and will be once Mayhew, Lewand and the front office figure out how to structure his contract.

Suh is not Albert Haynesworth. He's not going to play for the Raiders and lose for a few million extra dollars.

I don't .....know what to say.

You go Kas!

Doorman

You know... the Rochester Jeffersons

No lie, I would love to have an actual football player named Rochester Jefferson on our team.

1. You know what's in Suh's blood and mindset? That's surprising, considering how much he talks about how much people don't know him and how standoffish he is beyond his supposed "inner circle."

2. Dear God, putting the franchise tag on him would destroy this team. We cannot possibly pay him without having to gut the rest of the team, given the money that's already tied up in Stafford and Megatron. Unless you want to turn around and admit to moving one or both of them in favor of Suh?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I don't .....know what to say.

JJ Watt can have his stats, but Suh anchors the best defense in the league.

To be fair JJ Watt plays out of a 3-4 while Suh plays out of a 4-3 defense. I'm a 4-3 defense guy and if I'm building a defense I pick Suh as my #1 pick. Watt is 1A and a close 1A.

Fox318

I think it's a 50/50 chance at this point, with the way this defense is playing and the role he has in the success. Don't know if we can afford his price tag long-term but I'm also unsure if he can replicate this success on any team that will have the long-term cap space for him (they'll all be teams rebuilding -- Jets, Chicago, Giants, Oakland, etc.)
Jets don't need him.

They need a qb, secondary, and wrs.

MechDX

JJ Watt can have his stats, but Suh anchors the best defense in the league.

To be fair JJ Watt plays out of a 3-4 while Suh plays out of a 4-3 defense. I'm a 4-3 defense guy and if I'm building a defense I pick Suh as my #1 pick. Watt is 1A and a close 1A.

Well....someone has to be first I guess.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
1. You know what's in Suh's blood and mindset? That's surprising, considering how much he talks about how much people don't know him and how standoffish he is beyond his supposed "inner circle."

2. Dear God, putting the franchise tag on him would destroy this team. We cannot possibly pay him without having to gut the rest of the team, given the money that's already tied up in Stafford and Megatron. Unless you want to turn around and admit to moving one or both of them in favor of Suh?

1. Yes. Suh is in the gym and football is his life. I don't know the guy personally but he trains like no one else in the league.

2. Putting the franchise tag would not destroy the team. It won't get to that point but even if it does, Reggie Bush and Fairley will be gone freeing up cap space. Plus this team has plenty of depth and another 7 picks in next years draft.

Suh will stay a Lion and it will be a long term deal.

brentech

1. Yes. Suh is in the gym and football is his life. I don't know the guy personally but he trains like no one else in the league.

mmmmmkay

Why is this the first year that he has put together a string of hard effort games? Over the past few years, he's tore through lines at times, but more often then not he looked pretty lackadaisical or would run right past ball carriers because he only had one play --- push/run forward.

I realize you've loved him since before he played a down so you have no objectivity, but saying you don't know him, and then that he works like no one else, just leaks the amount of bullshit you pump out on an always basis.

Dude is playing for a contract. What he does after he gets it, who knows. Where he gets it from, who knows. Could very well be Detroit, and he maybe he continues playing hard, but his past says a lot about him.

Doorman

mmmmmkay

Why is this the first year that he has put together a string of hard effort games? Over the past few years, he's tore through lines at times, but more often then not he looked pretty lackadaisical or would run right past ball carriers because he only had one play --- push/run forward.

I'm not exactly a big Suh supporter, but in his defense in this case I will say that I think some of that over-aggressive play was the product of Jim Schwartz-style defensive coaching as much as it was anything on Suh's personal motivations. Being overly-aggressive and not situationally aware is something that plagued the entire team, and Caldwell and DC Austin have been doing a good job of reining that in. Now I agree that he's probably playing for a big contract (as he well should), and that certainly helps too, but production for the entire defense has been up, and both Suh and the scheme change have contributed to that.

What I don't agree with is the idea that training hard and loving football says anything about what Suh's actual motivations are. It's just as easy to train 365 days for the prospect of making a ton of money, or the ability to go to a "bigger" city like New York or somewhere in Cali. Just because you love football doesn't mean that you love the team that first drafted you, and it doesn't mean that staying in Detroit, whether we're contenders or not, is the guaranteed easy choice. We don't know what makes him tick. That is a message that Suh himself has communicated to the fanbase over the years, so that's what I'm choosing to judge him by.

To be clear: If he keeps up the level of play that he has this year, then I'd like him as a player and I admit that it would be nice to keep him. But I think his salary demands are going to be too much for us to handle when we already have big money tied up elsewhere, too. You can only hang on to so many superstars unless you want to completely erode the rest of the team's depth, and I don't believe it's viable to keep all three of Stafford, Megatron, and Suh.

minx

#Bears have allowed 50+ points 3 times in their last 11 games. Prior to that, they allowed 50+ points 3 times in their previous 759 games.

Thoughts on the Lions?
I should be happy, I should be spamming the thread but this feels like the weakest 7-2 team in recent memory. We've won the last 3 games by 6 points combined.

Cupcake college football schedule as well:

Giants are 3-6
Carolina 3-5-1 (loss)
Green Bay 6-3
Jets 2-8
Buffalo 5-4 (loss)
Minnesota 4-5
Saints 4-5
Atlanta 3-6
Miami 5-4

The only impressive win was Week 3 vs Green Bay, but if Det/GB played next week... who you think would be favored? I have very little confidence in this team.

Looking at some teams future cap numbers. Lions pay Calvin and Stafford over 46 million combined in 2016. Reggie Bush isn't getting cut next year since they only save 1.7 million while having 3.5 million in dead money. Of Detroit's top 8 in salary next year only cutting one of them will save them over half of that player's salary. They have over 100 million in salary taken up in 2016 already. I don't see any way they end up keeping Suh.

Top Bottom