• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 16 |OT| Nobody goes 8-8 like the Buffalo Bills!

Just got back from the 7:30pm showing of Battle of the Five Armies.

It's the most well paced of the three movies. Reason being that it has the least amount of fat and really just gets right to the point more often than not. That's a positive as it sort of just flies by and the credits are rolling before you know it. It also leaves the Extended Edition some breathing room for a few more character moments as those that are in the film feel a bit tacked on in the middle of all of the fighting.

It tries its hardest at times to replicate some of those emotional moments in the Lord of the Rings trilogy (Forth Eorlingas, Boromir's death, etc.), but you just never grow to truly care about anyone in these movies outside of Bilbo. The best moments in this film are the last 20 minutes or so as Bilbo departs the company and arrives home. I did get some feels with
Thorin
simply because he has been front and center throughout the films but its more Freeman's acting in those scenes than anything that happens to the character.

I absolutely love Lee Pace as Thranduil. He's such a supreme asshole and its impossible not to enjoy the performance. I like the payoff with his character at the finale even if some of the dialogue is fucking terrible and poorly acted by Evangeline Lily.

Jackson does a good job of making the battle sequences feel epic without making them too large thereby overshadowing the stuff in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I can imagine the temptation was there with better technology at his disposal but you walk away feeling like this was a light skirmish compared to the stuff that goes in Return of the King. Which is exactly as it should be.

It's a fine finale for a trilogy that should have never been a trilogy though I feel that Desolation of Smaug remains the strongest of the three movies. My biggest lament is that Guillermo Del Toro walked away from these movies and I never got to see his vision of what this whole thing would have looked like. Oh well. It is what it is. These aren't films that I'll block out a chunk of time on a weekend with my wife to sit through once a year like I would the LOTR trilogy proper but they are enjoyable films in their own right. If terribly bloated at times.

Godslay

Banned
Its the country's we import trying to show we dont need the keystone pipeline. Nothing to do with russia

Large portions of the Keystone pipeline are already built. Phase 4 is the portion everyone is hot over, largely because it is positioned over a large aquifer. So it doesn't make much sense for Saudi Arabia to plummet the price of oil for what amounts to not a very large pipeline in the grand scheme of things.

Some speculate that it is a response to fracking. This might be true, and fracking will slow if oil drops far enough. Even so, it's a small portion of the US economy and cheap oil should actually help the economy more than what we would lose in terms of fracking jobs in the meantime. Plus, it really depends on the play. Some are more profitable depending on the location of the play. Bakken crude might be cheaper than other plays and vice versa. Profitability depends on the location. Some might slow, while others will keep pumping while it's profitable.

I have also read that the Saudi's are upset with Russia for propping up Syria. Which some say strengthen Iran, which the Saudi's aren't happy about. So put the screws to them?

I don't really know what the driving factor is, but the results are hard to miss. Russia is fucked, some American oil producers will slow or go under (probably smaller guys initially), and Saudi Arabia via OPEC proxy gains control back over portions of the oil market.

I'm just curious the end game, and when the price of oil goes back up. It has to, simply because even at these prices Saudi Arabia can't sustain it's own economy forever. It's crazy to watch though! I'd hate to be Russian right now, especially if you have any deals done is USD/Euro.

Crusader Kings II is 75% off on Steam, you should all buy it right now, get good at the game and then teach me how to play because I have no idea what I'm doing

Fox318

8NLRpN8.gif

That article says exactly what I said. Of he is one the roster in march he gets $10m this year and another $6m next year. If Bears cut him they save that $16m. NFL GMs are to gutless though and they wont cut him on the 1% chance he does better somewhere else.

The $10 million he earns in March is part of his 2016 guaranteed salary (he earns the other $6 million in March 2016). He's already "earned" his $15.5 guaranteed for the 2015 season. The Bears are stuck with him for the 2015 season unless they feel like paying him a ton of money to play elsewhere.

Alright, this is what we need to still make the playoffs

1. The Dolphins beat Minnesota. Hey, the Dolphins are a 7-point favorite (what is Vegas thinking?)

2. The Dolphins beat the Jets in what will be the Termination Bowl. Both Joe Philbin and Rex Ryan will be coaching their final games -- unless the Dolphins pull out this nine-step dance.

3. Buffalo loses at Oakland or its finale at New England. Not hard to imagine. That makes the Bills 9-7. Since the Dolphins and Bills split this year's series, the Dolphins need these endings to win the second tie-breaker of records against AFC East opponents. They're both 3-2 right now. The Dolphins would end 4-2. The Bills would be 3-3.

4. Pittsburgh loses at Kansas City and ...

5. .. against Cincinnati to finish 9-7. Both of these would probably be the way you'd pick the game.

6. Baltimore loses at Houston and ...

7. ... against Cleveland to finish 9-7. Neither of these would be the way you'd pick the games.

8. Houston must lose its finale (8) to Jacksonville and finish 8-8. A stretch. But not impossible.

9. Kansas City beats San Diego in the finale.

All of this allows the Dolphins to win the tie-breaker over Pittsburgh for the sixth seed based on the winning percentage of common games. Baltimore, Jacksonville and the Jets are the common oppoonents. Pittsburgh split with Baltimore, beat Jacksonville and lost to the Jets. They'd be 2-2. The Dolphins would be 3-1 if they beat the Jets in the final.

Hercules had his 12 Labors.

The Dolphins have their Nine Steps.

So everyone clear on who to root for right?

cajunator

Banned
We have popeyes here bro. And it's located right next to Wal-Mart for the animals to eat.

I have class!

I go to the Popeyes on the other side of town, actually a whole different city!

Im just fucking with you. Here every other building is a place to eat. Im not exaggerating.

Top Bottom