• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 17 |OT| - For the Division

Come on. It wasn't Flacco that won that SB. It was a vitalized team with Ray Lewis announcing retirement. As soon as he said it was his last season, I told everyone here I was scared of the Ravens, and I was right.
If your stupid safety plays deep enough the Broncos win. I'll never forgive that twat for handing the Ravens a ring.

Sanjuro

The Angels had the best record in the AL IIRC. They sucked in the playoffs but they made it in. Trout was even better the last two seasons and lost out on MVP because he didn't make the playoffs.

To me it's different because of impact. In the NBA or NFL (with QBs), a single players impact is HUGE. You take LeBron or Durant away and replace them with an average player and their teams go from 55 wins and the playoffs to 20 wins and the lottery. Same thing with QBs in the NFL. The way the league is structured Quarterbacks are by far the most valuable players in the league and it's not even close. You don't win without a good QB. Replace Luck or Brady with an average QB and those teams win 4 or 5 games. Replace Watt with an average defensive lineman and I'm sure the Texans can still find a way to miss the playoffs or hover around .500. Watt is a great player, but not the most valuable.

I think they need to become more defined.

...and, yes. I'm one of those people who do believe the MVP has to be awarded to a player of a competitive team who makes the post season. I don't see how someone can be the most valuable to a team who is not in contention.

Greg

The only thing these arguments inform me is that the MVP award needs to have its name changed, or another award needs to exist to acknowledge tremendous, historic performances.

Not putting Watt on the books for this season, or his 2012 season, because some QB out of the littany of similarly producing QBs tossed 40 touchdowns is corny. Last year Peyton broke every offensive statistic worth breaking, so sure. This year no QB stood out week in and week out, whereas Watt destroyed QBs and offensive linemen non stop.
I believe it's called defensive player of the year

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Ross is literally the only person who still has faith in Philbin. The problem is, that's his boss.

Also god tannehill was murdered on that drive. Is his o-line trying to kill him?
I don't think Ross has faith. He just doesn't want another Sparano situation so he's publicly backing him early. Ross cares way more about Michigan, we're just a plaything for him.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
What a craptastic ending to the season. Injuries, Jags in the red zone, Browns being the Browns.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Doesn't matter anymore. 8-8 was better than I expected though

True. I still don't want to lose to the Jags at home and the last game of the season.

GQman2121

Banned
Bad guys back in the playoffs, suck it everybody.

ibud0eGBXpiJbA.gif

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Nice 9-7 finish, I will fucking take it.

I think they need to become more defined.

...and, yes. I'm one of those people who do believe the MVP has to be awarded to a player of a competitive team who makes the post season. I don't see how someone can be the most valuable to a team who is not in contention.

I agree, the only sport I don't hold to this standard is baseball, because you can have the best player on the planet, Trout or Bonds in his prime, and still miss the playoffs if your pitching is no good. No one player has as much individual impact as a quarterback or franchise NBA player can.

Top Bottom