• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 5 |OT| The Week of Embarrassment and the Fall of an Empire

Greg

Gif of the vine.

SilverLinearHornshark.gif

The initial double is pretty good, allowed the RG (70-Martin) to get better leverage on his man.
that Saints player on the outside that got tossed

that would be me in the NFL

Zeke

Awesome thanks man! Smith has an amazing career ahead of himself and he's gonna get paid Jerry better open his check book. I would have loved to seen Smith and Larry Allen lined up next to each other good Lord can you imagine that.

Bowser

Offensive Rookie of the Year: Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Carolina Panthers

Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman compared Benjamin to Plaxico Burress prior to the 2014 NFL Draft, due to Benjamin's imposing size (6-foot-5, 240 pounds) and potential impact. The big-bodied rookie has certainly lived up to expectations, quickly developing into a dominant force on the perimeter. Benjamin leads all rookies with six receptions of 20-plus yards; he also has 17 first-down receptions, tied for seventh-most among all receivers. Benjamin remains a work in progress as a route runner, but he's already become quarterback Cam Newton's favorite red-zone target while showing flashes of excelling as the Panthers' No. 1 option in the passing game. With Ron Rivera recently saying the time to "unleash" Newton is "coming," it's easy to see how Benjamin's numbers and impact could reach ridiculous levels by season's end.

Top contenders: Brandin Cooks, WR, New Orleans Saints; Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Minnesota Vikings.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-watt-among-awards-contenders-at-quarter-mark

17 of Benji's 21 receptions have gone for a first down.

jBb26iN.gif

Gif of the vine. Tyron is beastly, against the Rams he made Quinn quit after stonewalling him all game.

SilverLinearHornshark.gif

The initial double is pretty good, allowed the RG (70-Martin) to get better leverage on his man.

Wow....I want to see how they'll do against JJ, should be a great match up

Crisco

Banned
Don't really feel good about playing the Bears. Strong running game with Forte who has huge games against the Panthers, and a defense that forces turnovers. Cam's done a good job protecting the ball but as desperation starts to set it, he's bound to start forcing it more. We've gone from Williams, Stewart, and Tolbert to Fozzy, Reaves, and Ogbonnaya.

Bowser

Don't really feel good about playing the Bears. Strong running game with Forte who has huge games against the Panthers, and a defense that forces turnovers. Cam's done a good job protecting the ball but as desperation starts to set it, he's bound to start forcing it more. We've gone from Williams, Stewart, and Tolbert to Fozzy, Reaves, and Ogbonnaya.

The Bears running game is what worries me. They've got a pretty decent offensive line down there now. Our front 7 seems to be stretched thin, although I'm hoping Thomas Davis can return and help mitigate that. And like you said, Forte just seems to own us.

I'm not afraid of their defense. As long as the Panthers O-line can give Cam even 3 seconds, we should be able to move the ball through the air against them. Hopefully the combo of Fozzy and Obgonnaya can average at least 3.5ypc to give us some semblance of a run threat.

Crisco

Banned
The Bears running game is what worries me. They've got a pretty decent offensive line down there now. Our front 7 seems to be stretched thin, although I'm hoping Thomas Davis can return and help mitigate that. And like you said, Forte just seems to own us.

I'm not afraid of their defense. As long as the Panthers O-line can give Cam even 3 seconds, we should be able to move the ball through the air against them. Hopefully the combo of Fozzy and Obgonnaya can average at least 3.5ypc to give us some semblance of a run threat.

Yeah, our run defense really has me baffled. Is it really just a case of guys not staying in their gaps, or is there a fundamental flaw there. Seems like Short's snaps are way up and Colin Cole's are down, which may be hurting our run defense. Haven't heard Star's name called much this season but I assume he's been getting double teamed inside. The slow developing inside runs that seem to gash us should be getting shut down before they have a chance.

Bowser

By3tOigIAAAod4C.jpg:large

It's debatable whether there would be a street named after him around Lambeau Field, or perhaps a huge statue of his likeness erected there instead, but Ray Lewis came literally a few moments away from being a Green Bay Packer, and, we can only imagine, therefore a Packer legend.

Lewis was on the phone with the Packers' front office at the time the Baltimore Ravens were selecting in 1996, one spot ahead of Green Bay. It was about to be the moment the Packers thought would be the culmination of months spent working on the undersized linebacker out of the University of Miami, a charge led in the field by scout John Dorsey. They were fairly certain they had him, and then in a moment, a novice -- and soon to be legendary -- general manager swooped in and made the pick with the Ravens deep into their allotted time, at selection No. 26 of the 1996 draft.

Ozzie Newsome nabbed Lewis, who would become the singular face and identity of the Ravens franchise, leading it to two Super Bowls, including an improbable charge to a Lombardi Trophy in 2012 after returning from a near season-ending injury and announcing his retirement.

We can only wonder how different the AFC and NFC might have been had Ron Wolf gone ahead and traded up a few spots to make sure he got his man. Ray Lewis: Green Bay Packer. Sounds strange to hear, yet how fitting might it have been. As much as he personifies the Ravens -- a franchise trying to emerge from its move to Baltimore from Cleveland at the time -- how great a fit would he have been with one of the league's iconic franchises, roaming sideline to sideline where the likes of Ray Nitschke once did. It was closer to happening than almost anyone would think.

"We had his agent on the phone as I recall it, and we had Ray Lewis on the phone," Wolf said, still unable to recount the situation all these years later without stopping several times to verbally rebuke himself. "I think there was less than a minute to go. We already had his name in; our guy standing there at the [draft table in New York] was on the phone with his name in.

"And then of course we heard that Baltimore selects Ray Lewis, linebacker from the University of Miami. And that was not my finest moment. There is a period when you're going through the draft process and you're in that draft mode so to speak. There is a real tension there. There's a tightness there. It's all the things that make it so exciting. And you have to keep above board at all times, and kind of like the saying goes, 'You've got to keep your game face on.' "

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/feature/24731294/ray-lewis-of-lambeau

Tom Penny

Always interesting to see players like that because you know they are special. He's probably their only threat besides I'd assume Olsen and he's producing and they are likely keying on him. That's why I thought Josh Gordon's season was mind boggling last year. What he did with nobody else on the offense to remotely key on was ridiculous. Now he will likely get a massive contract because the NFL is pro drugs.

Bowser

Yeah, our run defense really has me baffled. Is it really just a case of guys not staying in their gaps, or is there a fundamental flaw there. Seems like Short's snaps are way up and Colin Cole's are down, which may be hurting our run defense. Haven't heard Star's name called much this season but I assume he's been getting double teamed inside. The slow developing inside runs that seem to gash us should be getting shut down before they have a chance.

Short should start and play a lot more snaps than he has. He's been unquestionably our best D-lineman (PFF agrees). Conversely, PFF has Cole rated as the worst lineman.

Well just talked to FedEx and Newegg. Since there was a delay in shipping which didn't allow me to get the package the next day I get a full refund on shipping. I'll take that 40 bucks back since I'm going to need it.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
kas will you leave if the lions choke the season away like they do every year

I will always help carry the Lions banner in NFLGAF. The difference now than in the past is our banner will be high atop the NFC North Mountain, and the rest of the NFL, with Stafford leading us for the next decade.

By the way I remember laughing at players who would get turf toe. "You're not playing because of a toe?!" I was inebriated a bit last night and it hurt, but holy fuck does it hurt even more now. I'm bedridden and every time I have to get up walking is excruciating. Various sites said it could take up to two weeks to heal and it's as painful as when I tore my ankle ligament in May(that was my left foot this is my right). It was probably from lack of support from my shoes. Father Time seems to be hitting me hard at 26 and despite what MRSA will tell you I'm not fat damnit.

Crisco

Banned
Always interesting to see players like that because you know they are special. He's probably their only threat besides I'd assume Olsen and he's producing and they are likely keying on him. That's why I thought Josh Gordon's season was mind boggling last year. What he did with nobody else on the offense to remotely key on was ridiculous. Now he will likely get a massive contract because the NFL is pro drugs.

Big play threat, yeah he is, but the WR corps is fine. The olds have played very well, and done a good job getting open against single coverage which is all you can ask. Passing the ball has been the most effective part of our game, with Cam converting a lot of 3rd downs through the air. The problem is the running game constantly puts us in 3rd and longs, and the shitty o-line eventually gives up a sack that kills the drive.

Bowser

Uh, so apparently Steve Smith just called into local radio station WFNZ in CLT to refute the Rapoport report:

*Gettleman said: "I can't play any more".

*"I'm jealous of Cam, I need the attention on me".

*Says he has high standards, "And maybe I need to bring people up to my level".

*Says, "It was personal with me and Dave Gettlemen. It's obvious I did something that got underneath his skin".

*Says, "Gettlemen says I was a distraction. All I did was hit other teammates, but I didn't beat my wife"

*Says, "I didn't ask for a release. I just wanted to play ball"

*He knocked Jake being emotional. Said Joe Cool was/is more calm in the huddle. But not Cam. Did not knock Cam in this ongoing interview.

*Says Cam didn't even know he was cut. Cam wrote him a nice letter and texted him. But said Cam's not 35 years old, and he doesn't play Madden.

*Says Rivera never spoke to him the entire time he was being evaluated, and finally texted him after the win.

*Says, "every guy has problems, and egos on teams." But to make them a problem, he thinks the Panthers are trying to justify why he isn't there.

*Says, "there are 'villians and heroes in the world. Lois Lane loves Superman and he's Lex Luther"

*Feels "stabbed in the back". Says Rivera wasn't a man and talk to him throughout the ordeal. "We supposed to be boys and you respected me. But you don't talk to me through the ordeal. But now you want to shake may hand after you talk to the media; why?"

wtf

Crisco

Banned
Uh, so apparently Steve Smith just called into local radio station WFNZ in CLT to refute the Rapoport report:

wtf

Sounds about right to me, it never made sense for Smith to badmouth Cam, the dude revitalized his career in 2011. Sounds to me like Smitty just tried to pull a power move by not restructuring his contract like everyone else and GMan said "ok, peace".

The Lions could easily blow things, as they did last year when they were 3-1 at this time as well. That being said I think this year's team is a lot better than last year.

Looking at the schedule, we could easily be 5-1 going into the Saints game at home in week 7; that game no longer looks like a sure-fire loss btw.

We'll get some much needed help in the second half of the season as players get healthier (secondary, Kyle Van Noy, etc) and return. I think we have a CHANCE at the playoffs, not guaranteeing shit because this is still the Detroit Lions. As long as we at least split the series with Chicago we'll be in good position.

MechDX

John McClain @McClain_on_NFL · 3h 3 hours ago
Texans sign CB Jumal Rolle off Packers practice squad and cut RB Ronnie Brown.

You know you have problems when you sign your second Packers defensive player in 10 days.

brentech

The biggest problem with that play is Brady's arm.

Pretty much. Which ever receiver doesn't pull the safety can cut inside, and it shouldn't be a problem.
It's just laughable that gata thinks that's a bad football decision when there is literally 8 defenders not just in the box, but nearly on the line.

The fly routes, or at least 2 fly routes if the receivers aren't allowed to have an option is the only way that is a bad call.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
John McClain @McClain_on_NFL · 3h 3 hours ago
Texans sign CB Jumal Rolle off Packers practice squad and cut RB Ronnie Brown.

You know you have problems when you sign your second Packers defensive player in 10 days.
i know you're trying to be funny but Picket actually made a little bit of a difference.

Fantomex

Wouldn't be a problem if they showed they could execute that type of play. They only had 3 receivers and none are deep threats.

Gata just sit down bro. I was gonna explain that the slot receiver could run an out or one of the outside receivers could run a hook but your brain can't handle that yet. Just trust us, everyone on your team sucks basically.

MechDX

i know you're trying to be funny but Picket actually made a little bit of a difference.

Yeah I saw PDS vine tweets on Twitter. He was doing what we haven't been getting from the NT spot: taking up multiple blockers and freeing up our ILB's,

Just signing Packers defensive players....

"The bottom line is that he is a 37 year old quarterback, and one playing behind arguably the worst offensive line he has ever had to deal with. Anyone expecting him to play at his MVP best is sipping a special kind of kool-aid."

Yep.

Why didnt you say this in the offseason when Bionic and myself where saying he was going to have a down year?

eznark

Banned
"The bottom line is that he is a 37 year old quarterback, and one playing behind arguably the worst offensive line he has ever had to deal with. Anyone expecting him to play at his MVP best is sipping a special kind of kool-aid."

Yep.

MVP?

It'd be nice if he could at least play better than Geno Smith.

Top Bottom