• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 5 |OT| The Week of Embarrassment and the Fall of an Empire

jakncoke

Banned
Decided to get 2 of these. Ye buddy.

southern-tier-pumpkin-2.jpg

eznark

Banned
Figured, he didn't practice Monday or Tuesday and Adams has looked better. Maybe we'll finally see JANIS on the field!

Tom Penny

I count 19.

Ha, so did whoever made their Wikipedia page. It's 21. Congratulations, the Patriots are not a shitty franchise! They are worse than the Browns and Raiders though, sorry.

That sucks. Lumped in with crappy Steelers and 49er's franchises that are worse than the Browns. Oh well.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Calvin Johnson feeling better, ready to face off with Jim Schwartz

Lions receiver Calvin Johnson was held to just two catches for 12 yards in Sunday’s game against the Jets, as a sprained ankle had him at far less than 100 percent. But Johnson says this week is different.

Johnson told Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press he’s feeling “definitely better than at this time last week.” Johnson will, from all accounts, be ready to go on Sunday against the Bills.

And when the Bills come to town, that means the return of Jim Schwartz, the Buffalo defensive coordinator who was Detroit’s head coach for the last five years. Johnson said he and Schwartz frequently discussed how Schwartz would cover Megatron if Schwartz had to devise a game plan to stop him. Schwartz told Johnson double coverage would always be Schwartz’s strategy.

On Sunday we’ll get to see if Schwartz, who coached Johnson when he set the all-time NFL record for receiving yards in a season in 2012, can come up with a plan to slow Johnson down.

-PFT

I don't know why Schwartz defensive strategy facing the team he used to coach is even being brought up. The Saints style offense we run is much different than the triple reverse Scott Linehan offense. Schwartz always had problems stopping the Saints offense.

Before Staffords' first NFL game the Schwartz coaching staff was preparing to face a 4-3 defense. When they actually played Week 1 in Staffords' first NFL game Sean Payton turned his defense into a 3-4 completely catching Schwartz off guard and screwing up the whole gameplan. Payton completely embarrassed and schooled Schwartz

jakncoke

Banned
Oh fuck yes new fall beers are out, time to raid my local bevmo

This one was out during my birthday as well, its on the pricey side but well worth it. Not sure how far Southern Tier Brewery ships outs but if anyone sees anything by them good chance you're in for a treat. Between this and the variety pack I had, the only one I didnt like was a beer that tasted too similar to black liquorice as I dont like anything that tastes similar to it or the actual black liquorice .

Zeke

Decided to get 2 of these. Ye buddy.

southern-tier-pumpkin-2.jpg
Had that a few weeks ago good stuff enjoy. You guys need to quit bitching about who is a model franchise. We all know it's not the pats so noodle stop. That honor goes to the classiest organization in pro sports my San Antonio Spurs.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I hope you're right man. Last year was a big disappointment after coming out of the gate strong. I do feel like this year may be different tho

The biggest difference is the coaching staff. Coach Caldwell has brought in a great staff on offense and defense.

People rag on Staffords' last year but the calls Scott Linehan would make on a 3rd and 1 were mind boggling. I think Steve Young said that the Schwartz staff was not putting Stafford into a position to succeed because of the play calling. That was absolutely true.

Coach Caldwell and OC Lombardi have put Stafford in charge once he gets on the field as it always should of been. Lombardi will call the play but if Stafford sees something different he can audible into another play which he did not do under Linehan.

Watching Stafford these past few weeks come up to the line and screaming audibles as he reads the defense reminds me of Peyton, Brady and Rodgers. He was held back under Schwartz and not giving Stafford control is what mainly destroyed us last year (on top of having Kris Durham as his #2 option).

This one was out during my birthday as well, its on the pricey side but well worth it. Not sure how far Southern Tier Brewery ships outs but if anyone sees anything by them good chance you're in for a treat. Between this and the variety pack I had, the only one I didnt like was a beer that tasted too similar to black liquorice as I dont like anything that tastes similar to it or the actual black liquorice .

It's not :(

I have plenty of local brews to try though so I'm not too upset

Chris, whereabouts in SoCal are you? I can give you a ton of local liquor stores that blow BevMo out of the water. PM me if you don't want to broadcast it.

Oh and damn you all, someone Harbify this picture.

Will do

Is it 21 teams below 20 playoff appearances? That's my cutoff.

And yes, the Browns are a pretty awesome franchise. Basically the Patriots inverse, except that they were actually able to win a bunch of Championships.

Woooooooooooooooo Eagles make the good franchise list.

I'd vote for him as president,

also Yankee, here is a nice breakdown of the Eagles offense

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/10/01/22-dissecting-eagles-offensive-issues/

Thanks buddy.

The biggest difference is the coaching staff. Coach Caldwell has brought in a great staff on offense and defense.

People rag on Staffords' last year but the calls Scott Linehan would make on a 3rd and 1 were mind boggling. I think Steve Young said that the Schwartz staff was not putting Stafford into a position to succeed because of the play calling. That was absolutely true.

Coach Caldwell and OC Lombardi have put Stafford in charge once he gets on the field as it always should of been. Lombardi will call the play but if Stafford sees something different he can audible into another play which he did not do under Linehan.

Watching Stafford these past few weeks come up to the line and screaming audibles as he reads the defense reminds me of Peyton, Brady and Rodgers. He was held back under Schwartz and not giving Stafford control is what mainly destroyed us last year (on top of having Kris Durham as his #2 option).

All up on that D.

#KasWantsDaD
:

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Sounds like you fellas might need some trivia in your lives if you've been bickering the whole time ive been gone.

It's just a bunch of NFLGaffers bickering about franchises that had a past but are going to rebuilding mode, will not be relevant this year and me trying to talk about teams that are relevant now like the Lions.

Edit: And Heretic showing insecurity because he's scared the Lions will see the Seahawks somewhere in the playoffs.

It was on Sunday in Baltimore. Smith won.

I'm talking about public opinion amongst the local populace in light of today's news. There are quite a few people that didn't like Steve's antics on Sunday and didn't like how candid he was in the interview today. Because these fairweather fucks still catch feelings at the slightest of slights.

Still, you have a shitload of people that think that Gettleman (and apparently Rivera) did 89 dirty and today vindicated that.

Since the team ain't shit, these are the matters we must distract ourselves with until the Hornets season starts.

Most QB over/underthrows this season, per @ESPNStatsInfo: Foles (41), Brady (35), Manuel (28). Measure of QB influence on accuracy.

— Kevin Seifert (@SeifertESPN) September 30, 2014

My god Foles is Brady/Manuel bad. Chip needs to convince Mariota to do a bunch of blow right before the draft so that he will drop to the Eagles.

Syrinx

I'm talking about public opinion amongst the local populace in light of today's news. There are quite a few people that didn't like Steve's antics on Sunday and didn't like how candid he was in the interview today. Because these fairweather fucks still catch feelings at the slightest of slights.

Still, you have a shitload of people that think that Gettleman (and apparently Rivera) did 89 dirty and today vindicated that.

Since the team ain't shit, these are the matters we must distract ourselves with until the Hornets season starts.

If they could have afforded his contract without restructuring, then they should have kept him; no way they're a better team without him. If they couldn't clear the space to afford his contract, then whatever, it happens. From that standpoint, that's all it comes dow to for me.

Now if these things he was saying about what Gettleman said to him are true, then that's pretty shitty either way.

Dragon

Banned
As a developer this is so fucking awesome to me. I can see myself running into that same shit by being super lazy.

Yeah doing an actual comparison would be better and I'm not sure why they would ever do something like startsWith for a versioning like that. Microsoft has always had internal numbers that wouldn't be subject to having to do string comparisons.

Bowser

If they could have afforded his contract without restructuring, then they should have kept him; no way they're a better team without him. If they couldn't clear the space to afford his contract, then whatever, it happens. From that standpoint, that's all it comes dow to for me.

Now if these things he was saying about what Gettleman said to him are true, then that's pretty shitty either way.

It was never about the money.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
My god Foles is Brady/Manuel bad. Chip needs to convince Mariota to do a bunch of blow right before the draft so that he will drop to the Eagles.

how far we've come, since last week where foles had a good shot at being the first ever QB to throw for 300 yards in the first four games of the season.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Hard coding is the worst. Even if it's a quick and temporary thing, because in most cases noone goes back to clean it up properly anyway.

this is part of the reason why I chose not to go into programming, I didnt want to clean up other peoples crap code thats not commented. Instead, i'm cleaning up other peoples Active Directory/GPO/DNS and other enterprise systems that aren't documented. What have I learned? People are lazy.

Syrinx

It was never about the money.

Well then I don't know what to say. Unless Gettleman or someone else can convince me that the Panthers are a better team without Steve Smith, I say he and the organization fucked up. And after seeing what Smith did on Sunday, that only furthers it.

brentech

Aaron Rodgers said he doesn't play Madden anymore, but he plays FIFA, NHL, NB2K, and was a big fan of Halo 3 and the whole series.

Laughs about Tulloch injuring himself doing the belt celebration and saying he'd do it over, but said he's a great guy. Didn't sound like he was laughing at the guy, but just disbelief that he could do that.

Again, every show, I can't believe how much info and detail he retains about what happened or who he's playing. Him talking about the Vikings defense and the players, holy shit.

brentech

My router took a shit on me last night. Time for a new one.

What's nice, is over the last couple years they've become ridiculously cheap even for the better ones. I remember some years ago paying like $100 bucks for one of those shitty Cisco Valet routers. Probably the worst one I've owned too.

Just get something with 2 or 3 antenna and you're pretty much golden. Think I have a TPLink one now.

Top Bottom