• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 5 |OT| The Week of Embarrassment and the Fall of an Empire

eznark

Banned
Who are the pirates dating

belichick-pirate-halloween-641.png

Someone's wife

Godslay

Banned
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Broncos releasing K Matt Prater, who's coming off 4-game suspension, per source. Brandon McManus wins Denver kicking job.

A little surprised that Denver is bailing on Prater, despite his off the field stuff. McManus has done well so far, but Prater was pretty great. Plus he counts as $4M in dead money for them next year.

Prater doesn't count for $4M in dead money. It's actually 812.5K for 2015, $4M is incorrect.

I'm half surprised that they are bailing on him. Obviously they need to drum up as much money as they can for DT/JT/Von/Pot Roast, so it's a sound financial decision and it doesn't surprise me from that point of view. From the standpoint of a football decision, it's a little unnerving because Prater was pretty automatic. There were whispers of it when McManus was doing okay, but I wasn't sure if they would hang on to him.

I'm wondering if there is more to it then is initially being lead on, but I guess we'll have to wait and find out.

ShaneB

What useless back and forth banter between you two buffoons.

Football!

De'Anthony Thomas is good to go this Sunday against the Niners. Excellent.

BJ Kissel @ChiefsReporter
Follow

#Chiefs RB De'Anthony Thomas is "good to go" per coach Andy Reid.

BigAT

Prater doesn't count for $4M in dead money. It's actually 812.5K for 2015, $4M is incorrect.

I'm half surprised that they are bailing on him. Obviously they need to drum up as much money as they can for DT/JT/Von/Pot Roast, so it's a sound financial decision and it doesn't surprise me from that point of view. From the standpoint of a football decision, it's a little unnerving because Prater was pretty automatic. There were whispers of it when McManus was doing okay, but I wasn't sure if they would hang on to him.

I'm wondering if there is more to it then is initially being lead on, but I guess we'll have to wait and find out.

Yeah, you're right. Looks like it was bad info on Twitter, his cap number would have been $4M next year, not $4M in dead money.

Godslay

Banned
Yeah, you're right. Looks like it was bad info on Twitter, his cap number would have been $4M next year, not $4M in dead money.

I saw that figure too, and was like goddamn that's a lot of dead money for a kicker. It can't be right. I wouldn't have been happy if they had to swallow that pill.

Hunter S.

I saw that figure too, and was like goddamn that's a lot of dead money for a kicker. It can't be right. I wouldn't have been happy if they had to swallow that pill.
I still find it weird that a man can get in trouble for having a beer, or two under this alcohol testing program. Oh, well, Prater was getting old and is a costly kicker.

Godslay

Banned
I still find it weird that a man can get in trouble for having a beer, or two under this alcohol testing program. Oh, well, Prater was getting old and is a costly kicker.

They are saying on the radio (104.3 The Fan) that he's been in Florida the last four weeks. They are kind of alluding that he might be in Florida trying to get help. Not saying anything concrete though, so just rumors I guess.

Plus there was the rumor that he was behind Ronnie Hillman and Kayvon Webster being in the hospital by giving them some kind of candy bar with drugs in it. That one is way out there though.

DarkFlow

Banned
Anyone read this today? I think it has some smart ideas.
http://q.usatoday.com/2014/10/03/how-to-fix-thursday-night-football-cbs-nfl-network/

1. Make TNF the last game of the week and give teams a bye the week after

This subtle shift is beneficial in two ways. Having 11 days between games gives teams more time to prepare and the players more time to recover. And with short weeks eliminated, you have to worry about an ankle sprain holding Teddy Bridgewater, one of the biggest draws going into last night’s game, out of the contest. The move would also give teams a more substantial bye – no player or coach will oppose playing just one game in 22 days.

Godslay

Banned
I know it's only practice and under live bullets it's different, but I did like this quote. Positive spin I guess.

McManus noted that he was unssure what his longest kick in practice was -- although, as he answered the question, backup quarterback Brock Osweiler walked by and offered, "74."

Hunter S.

They are saying on the radio (104.3 The Fan) that he's been in Florida the last four weeks. They are kind of alluding that he might be in Florida trying to get help. Not saying anything concrete though, so just rumors I guess.
I realize he may be a true alcoholic, but under the program he is on I read it would really only take two Coors to get him busted.

Living in the Springs I cannot get 104.3 the fan on the radio here unfortunately. It is just barely too far away.

Edit: Never mind I got it on the internet.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
How do we solve the blowouts for the rest of the games? It's been a pretty terrible year in terms of competitiveness.

It's a phenomenal game, it's what got me into SRPGs. I sold it after I picked it up but might grab it again, there's a game shop not far from me that has a copy for $14.

Played a few SRPGs before it, but never really got into them. Tremendous game. Also, screw sega for not letting them make a full fledged sequel.

Top Bottom