• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 1 |OT| - A Fraud’s Quest for Gold

TheFatOne

Butler may have allowed big plays but he was right there with Brown on most of them. He is going to be fine.
Just need to learn some ball skills. That's actually really worrying to me, but not because of Butlers skill. Seems like the Pats have real issues coaching corners up. They are just fine with veteran corners, but all of the young guys they try and develop don't work out. McCourty honestly just feels like pure dumb luck. Liked what I saw from Butler though. Has to work on the ball skills. Could have knocked down a couple of passes tonight.

Nice start for NE against the High School Steelers

They just need to tread water until week 8 or so. After that they can get a few guys back, and the offense will be much better at least.

The real piss off this game is that with proper execution this could have been a blowout in the Steelers favor. They always play like dogshit in Foxborough.

I was impressed by the front 7, unfortunately the back end has no clue who's supposed to do what. Can't remember how many times I watched Brady look straight at Will allen trying to get everyone in position with 2 seconds on the play clock.

Offense...welp, when Heyward Bey is your goto guy after Brown you're fucked. And Scobee....Ugh. We left 10 points in the wind.

As an aside, I'm glad the Pats played on Thursday night. This way we won't be swarmed by their lifelongs on Sunday when the rest of the games are going on.

Lucky you.

Gigglepoo

You act like Brady's run-in with the league is an isolated incident. An Aldon Smith fan like yourself should be keenly aware that your track record matters.

This is very entertaining. There's never been any evidence that Brady or Sherman cheated. Their teams have, though. Why is Brady punished for the sins of the Patriots but Sherman is exonerated even though his teammates used Adderall?

cdyhybrid

I realize I'm spoiled with riches at the CB spot on my team, but I'm still flabbergasted that people would be happy with Butler's performance tonight. The dude got flat-out torched all night long. I don't buy the "bu-bu-but Brown is the best receiver in the league!" defense either. Butler is supposed to be your #1 CB, a #1 CB shouldn't get torched by anyone like that.

This is very entertaining. There's never been any evidence that Brady or Sherman cheated. Their teams have, though. Why is Brady punished for the sins of the Patriots but Sherman is exonerated even though his teammates used Adderall?

You're right. The Pats (who had just had Brady's suspension overturned by simply taking the issue to court) just decided they'd forfeit the draft picks and fine money out of the kindness of their hearts.

Brady is punished because they committed crimes. Repeatedly. Team-wide crimes.

Sherman was not punished because he did nothing wrong. The Seahawks haven't had any substance policy suspensions in nearly two years, unlike your 49ers, so I'm not sure what you're going on about his teammates for.

Narag

I realize I'm spoiled with riches at the CB spot on my team, but I'm still flabbergasted that people would be happy with Butler's performance tonight. The dude got flat-out torched all night long. I don't buy the "bu-bu-but Brown is the best receiver in the league!" defense either. Butler is supposed to be your #1 CB, a #1 CB shouldn't get torched by anyone like that.

I mean to be fair Brown made some great plays with Butler in near perfect coverage

To be fair to the Pats fans, Butler is going to get his ass kissed for at least the first 8 weeks of this season.

Remember when BJ Raji became a superstar for his pick in the NFC Championship game? He was doing Discount Double Check commercials with Clay even after he disappeared on the field.

RdN

Let me get this in here once again, before people start making uninformed statements.

rIHKBNn.png

https://twitter.com/bruceallen/status/642144672765378560

TheFatOne

Second year guy who didn't play much at all last season. Has looked good in camp, and looked ok in this game. His real issue was just poor ball skills which should be teachable. Although, I don't particularly trust the Pats with corners. Guy is still young with plenty of time. Brown is a great receiver, and he was with him for the most part. Only two real worrying things tonight from him were ball skills, and double moves. Both of those should improve with time. People are expecting him to be a number one only because the Pats have no one else. Looking at this guy in the wrong way. He has the potential to be a number one, but only if the Pats were extraordinarly lucky he would be that guy this season. He's a guy who looks like he has the tools to be a number one guy.

Edit: Also this is why getting rid of Revis was stupid. Butler would be a guy that would improve greatly with a guy like Revis. Just silly that they let him go.

NBC never did mention during the entire game that the NFL controls the headsets, did they? They just brought it up, trying to make it into another scandal.
Uh, i'd like to see how they prevent somebody from jamming the wireless band with an antenna from the parking lot...

Physics, dudes. You can't subtract interference.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Offense...welp, when Heyward Bey is your goto guy after Brown you're fucked.

That's what I've been saying about Stafford's production from 2012-2014 where he did not have a legitimate #2 WR till Golden Tate got here. 2011 when he threw for over 5,000 yards and 41 TDs he had Titus Young and Nate Burleson.

"Well he has Megatron" was always the argument but that doesn't mean anything if Megatron is getting double and triple teamed. You need that #2 option, whether at WR or TE to take that pressure off the #1 WR and your QB.

The Steelers did not have that tonight despite one nice catch by DHB.

Tomlin is pissed about the headsets.

I wanted to say this before the game, but I think the other NFL owners are conducting a silent revolt.

First those articles leaks, which savaged both the Patriots (rightly) AND Goodell, and now Tomlin, who makes a point never to badmouth league issues or other teams..

eznark

Banned
That's what I've been saying about Stafford's production from 2012-2014 where he did not have a legitimate #2 WR till Golden Tate got here. 2011 when he threw for over 5,000 yards and 41 TDs he had Titus Young and Nate Burleson.

"Well he has Megatron" was always the argument but that doesn't mean anything if Megatron is getting double and triple teamed. You need that #2 option, whether at WR or TE to take that pressure off the #1 WR and your QB.

Lions were one of the lowest scoring teams in the league last year.

cdyhybrid

Uh, i'd like to see how they prevent somebody from jamming the wireless band with an antenna from the parking lot...

Where is KHarvey when we need him?

Kas, how did you feel about the defensive pass interference call in the end zone in the 2nd (I think?) quarter?

eznark

Banned
I wanted to say this before the game, but I think the other NFL owners are conducting a silent revolt.

First those articles leaks, which savaged both the Patriots (rightly) AND Goodell, and now Tomlin, who makes a point never to badmouth league issues or other teams..

New England sabotaging head sets has been an open secret forever. This might finally be the time that ESPN feels allowed to look into why it's the only stadium that teams expect shit to mysteriously break.

KHarvey16

Where is KHarvey when we need him?

You can't interfere with properly shielded electronics. And it makes absolutely no sense to simply induce such interference if your goal is to disrupt communication. Unplug it or mess with the switching.

Also an antenna in the parking lot would have to be massive and very high power to do such a thing.

jbug617

Banned

yep. Every team has free will to complain if anything happens at Gillette.

New England sabotaging head sets has been an open secret forever. This might finally be the time that ESPN feels allowed to look into why it's the only stadium that teams expect shit to mysteriously break.

That's just it. I think what we're seeing is a non confidence vote for Goodell. He couldn't get the punishment the league wanted on the Pats, so now it's open season on them, and Goodell

Best line I read on Steelernation forum:

After the Patriots gained control of our coaches headsets I never saw Tomlin say another word.... You have to give it up for the man......That is pretty damned smart.

Two Pom Poms UP......Waaaay up for Coach Mikey T

Did the Pats have the same issues though? The commentators said that the Pats stopped using their headsets "to keep it fair" or some shit like that, not because they were having communication issues themselves.

I had the commentary volume down for most of the game so I don't know if they changed or clarified things later.

Top Bottom