• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 1 |OT| - A Fraud’s Quest for Gold

You can't interfere with properly shielded electronics. And it makes absolutely no sense to simply induce such interference if your goal is to disrupt communication. Unplug it or mess with the switching.

Also an antenna in the parking lot would have to be massive and very high power to do such a thing.
The fuck? You're not interfering with the devices, you're interfering with the spectrum. Think the cell phone + computer speaker interaction.

You don't "shield". All you can do is increase the signal power to try to drown out the noise. (all the pats would have to do is make their their noise/interference generator is stronger than the headset's upper limit)

Stadium tunnel near the opponent's bench would be a lot easier than the parking lot...

Did the Pats have the same issues though? The commentators said that the Pats stopped using their headsets "to keep it fair" or some shit like that, not because they were having communication issues themselves.

I had the commentary volume down for most of the game so I don't know if they changed or clarified things later.
They said they did. But apparently they lied.

Did the Pats have the same issues though? The commentators said that the Pats stopped using their headsets "to keep it fair" or some shit like that, not because they were having communication issues themselves.

I had the commentary volume down for most of the game so I don't know if they changed or clarified things later.

They did say that, then nothing was spoken of it again.

So they were having the same problems, AND they turned them off to be fair!

Just making sure to collect all the facts for good old Gata!

KHarvey16

The fuck? You're not interfering with the devices, you're interfering with the spectrum. Think the cell phone + computer speaker interaction.

You don't "shield". All you can do is increase the signal power to try to drown out the noise. (all the pats would have to do is make their their noise/interference generator is stronger than the headset's upper limit)

It wasn't a reception issue, it was an FM radio broadcast bleeding into the audio. That's happening at the source or the receiver and coupling into the analog audio.

I see KHarvey is going for a Masters in Electronics to go with his other degrees.

In other news, Big Bang Theory to fire male cast and hire KHarvey to save money.

13th without Golden Tate

22nd with Golden Tate

Stafford got sacked 45 times last year behind an injured o-line that was trotting out 4th stringers. Not to mention the issue of learning a new offense, often without Megatron healthy or on the field. Add in Stafford being Stafford (ie inaccurate) and you had a recipe for disaster.

If the offense isn't signifigantly better this year...Stafford has to go. I really want to hear Kas' views on this. If the offense is relatively healthy this year there is NO excuse not to put up near Madden numbers. Healthy Megatron, Tate, Ebron over the middle, Abdullah and Riddick in the backfield...he has every weapon he could possibly want.

Crisco

Banned
Seriously, all but one of Gronk's catches he was wide the fuck open. That goes beyond in-game coaching and communication, every defender on that field should know "don't leave the giant who catches the ball open".

eznark

Banned
Stafford got sacked 45 times last year behind an injured o-line that was trotting out 4th stringers. Not to mention the issue of learning a new offense, often without Megatron healthy or on the field. Add in Stafford being Stafford (ie inaccurate) and you had a recipe for disaster.

If the offense isn't signifigantly better this year...Stafford has to go. I really want to hear Kas' views on this. If the offense is relatively healthy this year there is NO excuse not to put up near Madden numbers. Healthy Megatron, Tate, Ebron over the middle, Abdullah and Riddick in the backfield...he has every weapon he could possibly want.

Whatever the excuses are, it's false to pretend the offense was better with Tate. He simply took some touches that CJ would have gotten. The offense was less explosive, less efficient, and less effective.

Patriots and steelers have identical radio issues. NFL controls radio communications. Players anecdotally say they have issues at every stadium around the league.

Patriots cheated.

12004885_10205336070423441_3629034804929336304_n.jpg

lol he looks weird as fuck

KHarvey16

With all due respect (the balance is rather small), I don't think I am.

If you really don't want to, take a step back and re-evaluate the facts as we know them and look up anything you might need to.

The idea that the patriots would either modify or damage NFL equipment during a game without anyone noticing, or magically interfere with the headset signal by...I don't even know, intercepting it and injecting a superimposed FM radio broadcast on top of it and re-transmitting it to their headset? That doesn't even make sense.

The other option is the NFL equipment malfunctioned or wasn't being used properly and FM audio coupled into either the analog circuits at the source or the receiver. Probably the source if both sidelines experienced the issue.

cdyhybrid

12004885_10205336070423441_3629034804929336304_n.jpg

lol he looks weird as fuck

Moses?

If you really don't want to, take a step back and re-evaluate the facts as we know them and look up anything you might need to.

The idea that the patriots would either modify or damage NFL equipment during a game without anyone noticing, or magically interfere with the headset signal by...I don't even know, intercepting it and injecting a superimposed FM radio broadcast on top of it and re-transmitting it to their headset? That doesn't even make sense.

The other option is the NFL equipment malfunctioned or wasn't being used properly and FM audio coupled into either the analog circuits at the source or the receiver. Probably the source if both sidelines experienced the issue.

This is where your train of thought derails. It doesn't matter if anyone notices. They got caught red-handed and got away with it by simply taking the issue to court, because Goodell couldn't form a case against a murderer if he had video evidence of the killing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...used-of-tampering-with-communications-before/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_compatibility

Magic!

e: The argument isn't that the Pats 100% definitely did something intentionally. The argument is that they have in the past (yes), it's within the realm of feasibility that could've done something tonight (yes), and that whether it's an unlucky coincidence or not, those things make it suspicious.

KHarvey16

You can't interfere with a 2.4GHz digital signal using an analog FM signal and have it play audio on the other end. This is super basic stuff. I told you to look anything up you didn't know.

Headsets that stop working completely makes way more sense in the context of someone doing it intentionally, but that isn't what happened here.

You can't interfere with a 2.4GHz digital signal using an analog FM signal and have it play audio on the other end. This is super basic stuff. I told you to look anything up you didn't know.

Headsets that stop working completely makes way more sense in the context of someone doing it intentionally, but that isn't what happened here.
Who said they used an analog FM signal as interference?

jbug617

Banned
Steelers are going to beast on offense when Bell and Bryant get back.

I hope they can take out Baltimore.

Here is what the NFL said about the headsets
COmKAJeWIAA3K1-.png

The interference was sportcasters on the local FM radio overlayed on their audio.
So what we're saying is the audio content (i.e. the payload) was the sportcasters on the FM radio station.

If it had been the Beatles blasting inside a 2.4GHz signal, would that make it impossible because vinyl can't interfere with radio?

KHarvey16

So what we're saying is the audio content (i.e. the payload) was the sportcasters on the FM radio station.

If it had been the Beatles blasting inside a 2.4GHz signal, would that make it impossible because vinyl can't interfere with radio?

So again, your potential scenario here is the patriots intercepted the radio traffic and somehow prevented it from reaching the headset, and then took the local FM sports station and overlayed it on top of the normal audio, then digitized and encoded that specific mix for transmission back to the Steelers headset?

Because that would be dumb.

Top Bottom