• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 1 |OT| - A Fraud’s Quest for Gold

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Steelers are going to beast on offense when Bell and Bryant get back.

I hope they can take out Baltimore.

Here is what the NFL said about the headsets
COmKAJeWIAA3K1-.png

Between this and Deflategate, I think it's safe to say that Kraft has a weather machine.

cdyhybrid

So again, your potential scenario here is the patriots intercepted the radio traffic and somehow prevented it from reaching the headset, and then took the local FM sports station and overlayed it on top of the normal audio, then digitized and encoded that specific mix for transmission back to the Steelers headset?

Because that would be dumb.

"I think this is dumb, so you're wrong"

Whatever the excuses are, it's false to pretend the offense was better with Tate. He simply took some touches that CJ would have gotten. The offense was less explosive, less efficient, and less effective.

I don't dispute that. I'm just saying that it's hard to compare 2014 to previous seasons in a negative or positive light given what happened. It was a recipe for disaster.

In terms of Kas' argument about having a competent #2 receiver, I generally agree. Just a couple years ago we had Kris Durham as the #2. The best receiving core we had pre-Tate was in 2011, with Titus Young and Nate Burleson complimenting Megatron (and Jahvid Best out the backfield for a few games). In 2012 Burleson was in/out with injuries, Broyles tore his ACL and Titus Young got kicked off the team for being crazy (literally). In 2013 Burleson broke his arm and Broyles tore his ACL again. All that led to Megatron being the only option, and thus the videogame numbers he put up (and injuries he sustained due to high/inaccurate throws...).

At the end of the day it's 2015 now, and the receiving game is better than it's been in years for us. If we head out to San Diego on Sunday and barely score 20 points, like we did throughout last season, I'm going to be very fucking concerned. As I said this is Stafford's year. Dunno if you guys have noticed but the Lions have a shit ton of draft picks in 2016 thanks to trades. If Stafford doesn't get it right I guarantee you we'll draft a QB early, perhaps even trade up to get Connor Cook.

So again, your potential scenario here is the patriots intercepted the radio traffic and somehow prevented it from reaching the headset, and then took the local FM sports station and overlayed it on top of the normal audio, then digitized and encoded that specific mix for transmission back to the Steelers headset?

Because that would be dumb.
No, and no?

Not to mention that would seem to require the Pats having direct access to the specific headsets...

cdyhybrid

I mean cmon he's bitching about the headsets which had NOTHING to do with his team being poorly prepared.

Of course it had nothing to do with the Steelers' defense being a dumpster fire. But it's still an inconvenience and a distraction. I think he's perfectly justified to be upset that it happened.

KHarvey16

No, and no?

Not to mention that would seem to require the Pats having direct access to the specific headsets...

There's no other way to overlay audio on the stream. It would have to be intercepted, somehow completely stopped and re-transmitted in the modified form. You can't simply transmit some kind of audio interference on top of the digital signal and have it play additional audio. That's just not how the protocol works.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Stafford got sacked 45 times last year behind an injured o-line that was trotting out 4th stringers. Not to mention the issue of learning a new offense, often without Megatron healthy or on the field. Add in Stafford being Stafford (ie inaccurate) and you had a recipe for disaster.

If the offense isn't signifigantly better this year...Stafford has to go. I really want to hear Kas' views on this. If the offense is relatively healthy this year there is NO excuse not to put up near Madden numbers. Healthy Megatron, Tate, Ebron over the middle, Abdullah and Riddick in the backfield...he has every weapon he could possibly want.

I just don't see how it's possible for Stafford not to throw at least at a 2:1 TD/INT ratio with 4,000 plus yards this season. He has all the weapons in the world but IMO he has a grasp of the game that few have.

He's reached that stage in his career, like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Roethisberger etc. where you can almost assuredly expect Stafford to come out and put up numbers. The difference is those guys have all won in the playoffs and that's the barometer Stafford will be measured by this season and for the rest of his career.

Stafford's already broken every Lions record (which isn't saying much but still counts for something) and a lot of NFL records as well, but Lions fans sometimes forget even though we drafted him 6 years ago he was 21 years old when we drafted him and he took over the worst team in NFL history.

Not all QBs have the luxury of sitting 5 years and learning a system like Aaron Rodgers did at Green Bay.

You're right all the tools are finally there for Stafford in terms of offensive weapons. Haven't felt this confident offensively since 2011-2012 and I feel more confident now that we have a more mature Matthew Stafford at the helm. He will put up numbers and points he's already proven he can.

I don't even like to think about this but if Stafford gets hurt, which is a possibility for any NFL QB, do you suddenly give up on him when he's 28 years old? I don't think so and I don't think the Lions front office will either. Do we look at drafting another developmental QB to put pressure on Stafford? I think it's something the team will look at but the pressure is on Stafford and Stafford knows that.

It's always been on him. He was the #1 pick in the 2009 draft.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
What a fun game to be at. Pats basically controlled the whole game :)

They controlled the whole game, the weather, the audio waves, the poor coaching decisions, the ability to catch balls in bounds, the ability to pick up fumbles, the ability to stand near gronk, etc. etc. etc.

There's no other way to overlay audio on the stream. It would have to be intercepted, somehow completely stopped and re-transmitted in the modified form. You can't simply transmit some kind of audio interference on top of the digital signal and have it play additional audio. That's just not how the protocol works.
Which protocol are we talking about?

http://gsc.us.com/products.html don't seem to mention what they're using...

I do agree that the extra audio component makes it unlikely. And if not for the Pats' expertise in the fields of subterfuge and radio engineering, I'd dismiss it out of hand. As it is, I think it's hard to believe that they'd intentionally do this in a week one game, so it's probably just an equipment screw up.

But if the question is, is it possible, then ... I don't see why not? We're talking about a hack. Are hacks possible? Always.

Bread

Banned
I'm cool. If I get banned for make reasonable arguments supported by evidence, so be it. I have no problems with the moderation here and will support their decisions.
"the patriots knew hernandez was a murderer when they drafted him"

stop trolling for a minute, cdy.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Tomlin coached a shit game? Steelers were moving the ball at will against the Patriots, execution was their problem.

Yeah the clock management, the preparation. I agree they moved the ball at will, this patriots defense is in trouble, didn't matter though, the team misfired at every turn. I guess it's on the players, but generally you would hope your team comes ready to play.

the app is only on the bone, haven't had the chance to try sunday ticket yet though obviously.

Was it not there last year?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
He didn't say they did. Just that it seems to always happen in that stadium.

I'm cool. If I get banned for make reasonable arguments supported by evidence, so be it. I have no problems with the moderation here and will support their decisions.

You wouldn't, you'll get banned for justifying a sexist term in their eyes, it's a dangerous subject.

cdyhybrid

"the patriots knew hernandez was a murderer when they drafted him"

stop trolling for a minute, cdy.

I don't troll.

They either knew or were grossly negligent. Everyone in Gainesville knew, if they didn't know it's because they didn't care to find out.

You wouldn't, you'll get banned for justifying a sexist term in their eyes, it's a dangerous subject.

If that's how they feel, so be it. I'd disagree with their assessment, but it's not my website and I happily agree to abide by their moderation by posting here.

KHarvey16

Which protocol are we talking about?

http://gsc.us.com/products.html don't seem to mention what they're using...

I do agree that the extra audio component makes it unlikely. And if not for the Pats' expertise in the fields of subterfuge and radio engineering, I'd dismiss it out of hand. As it is, I think it's hard to believe that they'd intentionally do this in a week one game, so it's probably just an equipment screw up.

But if the question is, is it possible, then ... I don't see why not? We're talking about a hack. Are hacks possible? Always.

Well, I explained just about the easiest way to do it. And it's silly to think anyone would do that when they could literally just interfere enough with the signal and make the radio stop working all together. It doesn't make sense to overlay something on top of it because that's less effective and much, much harder.

Any protocol they're using would of course be digital and have the usual error checking and mitigation. Meaning you can't interfere with it and have it make enough sense to the receiver on the other end to play the audio you wanted it to play.

Yeah the clock management, the preparation. I agree they moved the ball at will, this patriots defense is in trouble, didn't matter though, the team misfired at every turn. I guess it's on the players, but generally you would hope your team comes ready to play.

As you admitted, that's execution, not coaching.

Also, i'm pretty sick and fucking tired of Pats' fans insistence of discounting a point because of some perceived slight. Brady getting off doesn't mean the Pats were found not guilty of cheating. Goodell being a moron does not mean the Pats aren't cheaters. Tomlin complaining about an endemic problem at Foxborough is not him making it an excuse for the loss.

jbug617

Banned
ESPN played more of the Tomlin presser. The press tried to goad him to talk more about it but Tomlin just said to keep the questions about the game.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
As you admitted, that's execution, not coaching.

Also, i'm pretty sick and fucking tired of Pats' fans insistence of discounting a point because of some perceived slight. Brady getting off doesn't mean the Pats were found not guilty of cheating. Goodell being a moron does not mean the Pats aren't cheaters. Tomlin complaining about an endemic problem at Foxborough is not him making it an excuse for the loss.

Agree to disagree on what drives execution I guess, because while it's on the players, it's the coaches job to get your players ready, which they clearly weren't tonight.

I see everybody enjoyed the game and is talking about nothing else but the game?

Can we all agree on the fact that Gronk is the greatest TE ever?

Top Bottom