• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 1 |OT| - A Fraud’s Quest for Gold

The issue with the Eagles is that they were garbage. The offensive line was garbage, the secondary was garbage, the QB was garbage, the running game was garbage, and the special teams were garbage.

Maybe next week they'll be less garbage.

Zeke

Worried about Dez Bryant's injury. 4-6 weeks seems too optimistic from what I have read. Just hoping he will be back by December.

I also hope Escobar can help this team's redzone efficiency.
Cowboys workingout hakeem nicks, Nick toon, Austin pettis and Clyde gates. Not a good sign and more salt to the wound werder saying Dez has the same injury nicks had :/

He's fine. It was a precautionary X-Ray on his ankle, but everything was fine and he had no limp or anything of the sort.

On to next week.

Don't want to alarm you but our Madden league with Bread and BG disagrees:

M4nwCLZ.png

The issue with the Eagles is that they were garbage. The offensive line was garbage, the secondary was garbage, the QB was garbage, the running game was garbage, and the special teams were garbage.

it's a divisional game against the cowboys

it's going to be double garbage. That is the NFC east way

effzee

Saying allowed is being generous. Julio just took whatever he wanted.

If the Eagles have any shot this year of reaching and doing something in the playoffs the secondary has to play better than that. Maxwell has a lot to prove but not going to panic after 1 game.

Still almost won. Problem is the way this offense is run, when they have a half like they did with almost no positive yards gained, this D had to be on the field a ton.

ACE 1991

They were garbage the first half. They were not garbage the second half.

EDIT: Jesus christ at the video above. People are the worst.

They were garbage the first half. They were not garbage the second half.

Not at all. Once the offense started moving the ball the defense also played much better. Hell if Jenkins could have just gotten his arms under the ball that Matty ice threw right to him the Eagles would have been in great shape. It sucks to lose to such a bad team, but there is still a ton of time to turn things around. Coaches just need to commit to the run and not give up on it so quick.

Farooq

Banned
Cowboys workingout hakeem nicks, Nick toon, Austin pettis and Clyde gates. Not a good sign and more salt to the wound werder saying Dez has the same injury nicks had :/

Yea, I am taking the mental approach that he will be gone for majority of the season and just hope they don't rush him back.

I am interested to see how this offense will manage with his absence.

Edit: God I wish I could be a part of personnel discussions. Or at least a fly on the wall. Really interested in seeing what part of Bryant's game they are hoping to replace.

Not at all. Once the offense started moving the ball the defense also played much better. Hell if Jenkins could have just gotten his arms under the ball that Matty ice threw right to him the Eagles would have been in great shape. It sucks to lose to such a bad team, but there is still a ton of time to turn things around. Coaches just need to commit to the run and not give up on it so quick.

Special teams and the offensive line continued to be garbage, even in the second half.

Hindl

Reading about injuries like what Dez has is not making me feel very good. Cowboys will be lucky if he even makes it back in 6 games. Changes the whole season, really sucks

Yeah the penalties were awful, still cant believe they called the long Murray run back over a hold that happened way behind the play.

The biggest thing for me about the game last night was the Falcons staying in their big front and forcing the Eagles to pass every down. It was clear that Chip and the other coaches were not expecting that and it really threw them off in the first half. It was nice to see them make adjustments and get the offense going so well in the second half though.

On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, inconsistency has probably been this team's biggest problem. It seems like every game Chip opens up with some basic plays to test the defense, and if they fail, the offense stalls out for a while before they can recover. Gotta do better with the the rush, and I have a feeling our guards, especially Gardner are gonna be attacked this year

Hindl

Worried about Dez Bryant's injury. 4-6 weeks seems too optimistic from what I have read. Just hoping he will be back by December.

I also hope Escobar can help this team's redzone efficiency.

Yeah heard Cowboys were preparing for up to 8 weeks without him, although early reports said 4, so who knows. Sucks tho but he'll bounce back.

Saying allowed is being generous. Julio just took whatever he wanted.

If the Eagles have any shot this year of reaching and doing something in the playoffs the secondary has to play better than that. Maxwell has a lot to prove but not going to panic after 1 game.

Still almost won. Problem is the way this offense is run, when they have a half like they did with almost no positive yards gained, this D had to be on the field a ton.

I still blame Davis more than Maxwell. Maxwell isn't a shutdown corner, but Davis just had him on an island on Julio. Refused to have Jenkins help him over the top. And this has always been the problem. Davis has a game plan, and it seems like he refuses to deviate from it. The Falcons were killing us with Play Action, and they inexplicably decided to stop doing that in the second half

The thing that is annoying me the most out of my fellow Eagles fans is the excuses they are making for Parkey. Saying that he missed the field goal because he was rushed.

If you are in the playoffs, running a two minute drill with 20 seconds left on the play clock and no time outs, you need to be ready to kick the damn ball even if you are rushed. It's not an excuse. He is on the roster solely to kick footballs, it's his job, stop making excuses for him. He shouldn't require more time to do some mental preparation before kicking the ball, he should be doing that on the sideline all game. Yes, it was a long field goal, but considering he was all-pro last year making excuses for him is dumb. He just missed. I don't even blame Kelly for dilly dallying there, the only thing I blame him for is not going for it.

Edit: and those cheerleaders unis look like goddamn X-men unis

Hindl

The thing that is annoying me the most out of my fellow Eagles fans is the excuses they are making for Parkey. Saying that he missed the field goal because he was rushed.

If you are in the playoffs, running a two minute drill with 20 seconds left on the play clock and no time outs, you need to be ready to kick the damn ball even if you are rushed. It's not an excuse. He is on the roster solely to kick footballs, it's his job, stop making excuses for him. He shouldn't require more time to do some mental preparation before kicking the ball, he should be doing that on the sideline all game. Yes, it was a long field goal, but considering he was all-pro last year making excuses for him is dumb. He just missed. I don't even blame Kelly for dilly dallying there, the only thing I blame him for is not going for it.

Edit: and those cheerleaders unis look like goddamn X-men unis

It's just so startling that the ST and Parkey seem to be the exact opposite from last year

rando14

It's just so startling that the ST and Parkey seem to be the exact opposite from last year

ST has the greatest variance from year to year unless you really have certain "elite" ST players (game-changing returner, etc).

SEA was a fantastic ST team in 2013 but awful in 2014. Likewise, PHI was fantastic in 2014 but the # of points obtained via ST was clearly unsustainable and should be expected to regress this year.

Hindl

ST has the greatest variance from year to year unless you really have certain "elite" ST players (game-changing returner, etc).

SEA was a fantastic ST team in 2013 but awful in 2014. Likewise, PHI was fantastic in 2014 but the # of points obtained via ST was clearly unsustainable and should be expected to regress this year.

Yeah that would really suck. Ugh it's so disappointing to have all this offseason turnover and see the same problems. At least Bradford was able to channel Brady and dink and dunk down the field in the second half.

Parkey is just having a sophmore slump and dealing with a groin issue. I'm not worried about him long term, I don't think what he did was just a fluke like it was with Henery. That was a 44yard field goal which is easily makeable but not a gimme. The other big issue I had was Donnie Jones poor punt, and a little bit of poor tackling. People forget that Atlanta has decent ST though. Plus their special teams coach is a local so I like him.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Thoughts on the 49ers:

Defense - fantastic although I don't like when they just rush three which they have a tendency to do. I'm not sure how well this group will hold up when challenged by a better offense though...the bend-but-don't break philosophy will get them in trouble.

Offense - still a few big problems that existed last year. First, wide receivers just can't get open...at all. I'm not sure if it is the personnel or the play-calling but these guys are getting zero separation so the QB is having to make conservative throws to areas where the ball is difficult to catch (in order to avoid taking the risk of a pick). Second, pass protection is still awful but I at least think the 49ers know it. It seemed like half the time they pulled some sort of misdirection on the QB dropbacks. The times when he stood in the pocket the pocket just collapsed like wet cardboard.

And, yes, Hyde is very good. At least some of us were calling for him to be the primary rusher last year as he is far better than Gore (Gore was terrible the past 2 seasons).

Thoughts on the 49ers:

Defense - fantastic although I don't like when they just rush three which they have a tendency to do. I'm not sure how well this group will hold up when challenged by a better offense though...the bend-but-don't break philosophy will get them in trouble.

Offense - still a few big problems that existed last year. First, wide receivers just can't get open...at all. I'm not sure if it is the personnel or the play-calling but these guys are getting zero separation so the QB is having to make conservative throws to areas where the ball is difficult to catch (in order to avoid taking the risk of a pick). Second, pass protection is still awful but I at least think the 49ers know it. It seemed like half the time they pulled some sort of misdirection on the QB dropbacks. The times when he stood in the pocket the pocket just collapsed like wet cardboard.

And, yes, Hyde is very good. At least some of us were calling for him to be the primary rusher last year as he is far better than Gore (Gore was terrible the past 2 seasons).

We allowed 0 sacks. Pass protection was fine.

We used a ton of 3 TE. If the defense removed a corner, we passed. If they kept the extra corner in, we ran.

Top Bottom