• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 1 |OT| - A Fraud’s Quest for Gold

Trey

zuXDRvJ.jpg

This dude never met a barber he could trust in his whole life.

Thoughts on the 49ers:

Defense - fantastic although I don't like when they just rush three which they have a tendency to do. I'm not sure how well this group will hold up when challenged by a better offense though...the bend-but-don't break philosophy will get them in trouble.

Offense - still a few big problems that existed last year. First, wide receivers just can't get open...at all. I'm not sure if it is the personnel or the play-calling but these guys are getting zero separation so the QB is having to make conservative throws to areas where the ball is difficult to catch (in order to avoid taking the risk of a pick). Second, pass protection is still awful but I at least think the 49ers know it. It seemed like half the time they pulled some sort of misdirection on the QB dropbacks. The times when he stood in the pocket the pocket just collapsed like wet cardboard.

And, yes, Hyde is very good. At least some of us were calling for him to be the primary rusher last year as he is far better than Gore (Gore was terrible the past 2 seasons).

Hyde actually looks comfortable running out of the pistol...something that Gore never was comfortable doing, even during the year we went to the superbowl with him. Also, the abundance of holding penalties is usually pretty tell tale of a weak O-line .

I wasn't really watching the receivers last night. I think it's a given that Boldin won't ever really get amazing separation (which is fine because he can catch in traffic). What about Torrey Smith?

On a sidenote, I didn't realize Torrey Smith is only 26. For some reason I thought he's a lot older.

ACE 1991

Not at all. Once the offense started moving the ball the defense also played much better. Hell if Jenkins could have just gotten his arms under the ball that Matty ice threw right to him the Eagles would have been in great shape. It sucks to lose to such a bad team, but there is still a ton of time to turn things around. Coaches just need to commit to the run and not give up on it so quick.

Yes, this was a very winnable game. I don't agree that Falcons are a bad team though, that offense looked pretty sharp, and the defense didn't look half bad that first half. Who knows about either team though, small sample size and all.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Is ESPN ever going to stop pretending that they are the marquee night of the week for the NFL or that the games they get aren't actually marquee games?

Trey

Is ESPN ever going to stop pretending that they are the marquee night of the week for the NFL or that the games they get aren't actually marquee games?

Is a super prominent news organization owned by one of the most entrenched and richest corporations in the world gonna stop marketing their stuff?

Gee, I dunno.

Spinluck

Watched some of the game again.

-Luck needs to work on his accuracy a little bit. At times his mechanics look flawless, at other times his throws look all arm and he leads with his elbow in a weird way. He still has amazing pocket presence, and footwork a lot of the time. Wish he had someone on the sidelines to help refine these things

-For some reason he still over throws guys a lot. I think me and Slay talked about this once, about him putting too much zip on some balls for no reason. Touch my friend touch, I've seen you do it before!

-I think the 2 rookies on our D-line actually did a serviceable job. Two Stanford guys show promise, our linebackers looked awful though. Jesus, Freeman still over pursues everything, and Jackson's old ass looked lost. Trent Cole looked like a non-factor on passing downs, and was only there to get after some runs. Mathis returning as Mathis is a stretch.

-Vontae Davis is a top 3 corner. One of the most consistent players out there. Dude is amazing. Butler is shit at playing #2 corner, he is best when guarding the slot WR but Pagano still doesn't understand this which is why Harvin burned him on a TD. Tohler gets like 2 illegal contacts a game but iI actually missed him at Corner this hand. Thought the Safetys were ok. Adams probably has a year left in him.

-O-line, :lol. Thought we did a good job with the run game which is why I'm confused at the 49 pass plays. From what I heard, Luck was getting run calls from the coaches and he opted to pass at the line. What a great teammate trying to keep Gore healthy all season! Pass protection wasn't as bad as I thought, that front is pretty good, but we are lucky they didn't have Darius. Luck's clock was going off early all game and they were hitting him. On the Punt he threw intended to TY, his arm might of gotten hit, or he threw it off his back foot. Looks more like the ladder. Statistically the best against the blitz last year, not this game! Also, O-line, stop fucking holding!

-Philip Dorsett cannot field punts. He shows promise at WR though. The only guy besides TY who was getting separation Sunday. Seems that guys keep playing off of him, I honestly think he can have a bigger year than Crief's at this rate. His speed is more of a threat that Crief's size. Moncrief is a bigger guy ,and He and AJ were playing the softest of the bunch. Hearing footsteps all game, and not even looking for YAC when they had the ball.

-We have one of the best Punters in the game

-Adam V is old but I think he can still kick

-Pagano sucks at gameplanning against well coached teams, and if Luck doesn't bail him out we often lose. His team is also soft and undisciplined. Hoping we can improve some of those things as the season goes on. Not holding my breath since I've seen this for the last two years (sans the promising run game and potential on the DL).

-Pep just doesn't seem to understand adjustments. Really terrified that I hear he might be considered to take the HC spot. Hasn't been the best OC as far as developing Luck goes. Arians, what could have been.

I'm not even that worried about Dez being out. Whichever bum we pick up of the street, Romo will make them look good. Remember Laurent Robinson?

Outlook on the Vikings, fellas

Be honest. They looked like shit, didn't they?

You can tell their offensive line is missing key starters, Teddy was running for his life most of the game. Combine that with receivers not getting open fast enough and the defense getting diced and it wasn't pretty. They certainly did not live up to the hype.

Spinluck

Striker

I'm not even that worried about Dez being out. Whichever bum we pick up of the street, Romo will make them look good. Remember Laurent Robinson?
Kevin Ogletree looked good that one game... conveniently against the Giants. Not every team is this limited in defensive talent. It's been years since they've had a half decent slot corner.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
We allowed 0 sacks. Pass protection was fine.

We used a ton of 3 TE. If the defense removed a corner, we passed. If they kept the extra corner in, we ran.

Yeah I think number of sacks is a misleading indicator when half the passes used misdirection and you have Kaep as your QB to escape other pressure. He also just threw the ball away a couple times because pressure was in and nobody was open in that very limited time window. I'd have to go back and count but he was forced to step up or to the side almost instantly every time he hit the top of his drop when they attempted to form a pocket around him.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Hyde actually looks comfortable running out of the pistol...something that Gore never was comfortable doing, even during the year we went to the superbowl with him. Also, the abundance of holding penalties is usually pretty tell tale of a weak O-line .

I wasn't really watching the receivers last night. I think it's a given that Boldin won't ever really get amazing separation (which is fine because he can catch in traffic). What about Torrey Smith?

On a sidenote, I didn't realize Torrey Smith is only 26. For some reason I thought he's a lot older.

Receiver inability to get any separation was something that bugged me immensely last year as well so I was paying pretty close attention to it (when the camera wasn't too zoomed in). Even out of the WR breaks the DBs were close, balanced and already moving the correct direction so it wasn't like you could just time a throw to hit them on the break. Only choice to throw to these guys seems to be high and towards the sideline (with a trailing DB), a backshoulder throw into a narrow window or down and away from the DB. That is a bit discouraging. They must find someone who is a good route runner who can actually create at least a little space.

Oh and VD is still bad. He has poor hands, no lateral mobility and can't even alter his route even slightly once the ball is in the air. That shit will fall right next to him while he runs by...ugh.

MechDX

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-tex...y-more-when-pressured-as-many-quarterbacks-do

Overall, the Houston Texans' quarterback had the second-worst Total QBR in the NFL on Sunday at 12.3. Only rookie Jameis Winston was worse.

Ten quarterbacks on Sunday were pressured on at least 10 dropbacks -- Hoyer was pressured on exactly 10. In those snaps, Hoyer's passer rating was 11.1 and his Total QBR was 0.0.

Of those 10 dropbacks, Hoyer attempted six passes, completed two and was sacked four times.

Man I hope the Panthers don't read ESPN.......

Fuck this

Conversely, all of the quarterbacks who ranked in the top five in Total QBR when pressured won on Thursday and Sunday. One of those was former Texans quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, whose Jets beat Manziel's Browns.

Top Bottom