• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 1 |OT| - A Fraud’s Quest for Gold

squicken

After sleeping on Eagles game

-Hard not to be worried about guards and secondary for PHI. Big break that Dez is hurt

-Julio is one of 3 guys who you can argue is the best WR in football

-Quinn had his guys much more ready to play than Chip

-Both QBs had brutal INTs. Bradford hopefully was just rusty in the first half. Looked late on some throws and there were clear communication issues

-I liked that ATL stayed committed to the run. That RB they have did a really good job of getting a couple of extra yards every run by diving or just dragging defenders

-Not sure I have ever seen a 135 yard TD drive before. Philly penalties were killer

-Jason Peters hopefully had a bad game. Because it would be a really bad time for him to get old

-Difference in the game could easily be pegged on ST. ATL punt game was tremendous, and place kicking was flawless

eznark

Banned

-Hard not to be worried about guards and secondary for PHI. Big break that Dez is hurt

-Both QBs had brutal INTs. Bradford hopefully was just rusty in the first half. Looked late on some throws and there were clear communication issues

-I liked that ATL stayed committed to the run. That RB they have did a really good job of getting a couple of extra yards every run by diving or just dragging defenders

-Not sure I have ever seen a 135 yard TD drive before. Philly penalties were killer

-Jason Peters hopefully had a bad game. Because it would be a really bad time for him to get old

-Difference in the game could easily be pegged on ST. ATL punt game was tremendous, and place kicking was flawless

It is mind boggling to me that Bradford didn't attack the Atlanta secondary. I'm not sure they will face a worse unit all year long, and he still refused to push the ball downfield.

The reason everyone got excited about him in 2013 was because he started to go more vertical (AY/A of 6.8) last night he lost all of that (AY/A of 5.1).

Not only was he not throwing it deep, he was inaccurate. Yes, he completed 70% of his passes (that will happen when you throw 5 yards a pop) but on way too many of those completions he led his receivers into the ground, forced them to make adjustments or forced them off their feet.

It was a really, really poor performance from Sam Bradford, especially when you look at the defense he was up against.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'

Jason Peters was the biggest head scratcher here.

Either way, Vic Beasley looks like he will be a stud.

It is mind boggling to me that Bradford didn't attack the Atlanta secondary. I'm not sure they will face a worse unit all year long, and he still refused to push the ball downfield.

The reason everyone got excited about him in 2013 was because he started to go more vertical (AY/A of 6.8) last night he lost all of that (AY/A of 5.1).

Not only was he not throwing it deep, he was inaccurate. Yes, he completed 70% of his passes (that will happen when you throw 5 yards a pop) but on way too many of those completions he led his receivers into the ground, forced them to make adjustments or forced them off their feet.

It was a really, really poor performance from Sam Bradford, especially when you look at the defense he was up against.

Are there any stats out right now for time from snap to pass? I could be remembering wrong but it seemed like he was checking down awfully quick.

squicken

I definitely noticed that he made his receivers adjust to the ball. Especially the Ertz throw that made a nice catch on, the deep miss to Austin, and Sproles on the wheel. Hopefully it is just not throwing a regular season pass in 700 days

All I can about the short throws is that it is premeditated. He doesn't go out there wanting to go deep but refusing to pull the trigger. He has talked all offseason, and after the game, about keeping the sticks moving and staying in managable down and distance on 2nd and 3rd down

bionic77

Tebow is a false prophet. I have no idea why it's taking so long for some of you to accept that. He's the David Koresh of the NFL.
You are a fan of two teams, something that is known to be an abomination.

One team is based on racism and the other on devilry, murder and cheating.

And we are supposed to take what you say about Tebow seriously?

Stick to 90s rap and basketball Ninja. The game has passed you by.

A good excuse for a fifth run. :)

Fourth for me but I did complete all of the chalice dungeons twice. I've been eager to do another replay but have been holding off knowing that the expansion was coming.

Didn't stay up for the game but :jnc Vikings. Other than Hyde being a monster what happened? Looks like Teddy was decent on paper but 3 points?
Nothing much. It was a sleep inducing game, frankly.

Was it rust that made Bradford check down for 90% of the game? Possibly, but I stopped watching his throws and started watching his head movement, he's not even looking past 10 yards at the snap.

Only time he dared go any farther was when Atlanta dropped into zones and the receivers started attacking the seams. Even then it was 8-9 yard throws to wide open guys.

As for Chip. This revolutionary offense - is the Pats offense. Sure football is cyclical and Belichick took it from Chip but still.

effzee

Two big thoughts on the games last night:

Rams got the better deal out of that trade. They will make the playoffs if they stay healthy.

Vikings OL is trash. Even the elite QBs will crumple when they have to scramble to avoid sacks all night.

Rams got the better end off of 1 game? LOL ok. Bradford was shaky as hell but I doubt any Eagles fan is longing for Foles right now.

ACE 1991

Two big thoughts on the games last night:

Rams got the better deal out of that trade. They will make the playoffs if they stay healthy.

Vikings OL is trash. Even the elite QBs will crumple when they have to scramble to avoid sacks all night.

Way too early to make that call. Besides, Bradford looked really sharp in the second half, and there is no way Foles makes some of the throws that Bradford did when staring down a blitz. He needs to get more comfortable looking downfield, though.

Greg

20 bucks for Driveclub + season pass

if you people don't buy it at that price, you deserve Olivia Munn in your lives for eternity

bionic77

Rex's defense is always a pain in the ass
Their defense will slow the Pats down.

But I think Taylor, who I think could be good, might not be able to score enough to win the game.

It should be close though.

I saw a lot of holes for the Pats that a better team than the Steelers is going to expose.

bionic77

Was it rust that made Bradford check down for 90% of the game? Possibly, but I stopped watching his throws and started watching his head movement, he's not even looking past 10 yards at the snap.

Only time he dared go any farther was when Atlanta dropped into zones and the receivers started attacking the seams. Even then it was 8-9 yard throws to wide open guys.

As for Chip. This revolutionary offense - is the Pats offense. Sure football is cyclical and Belichick took it from Chip but still.
To be fair to Bradford I would say it actually takes closer to 2 years to be 100% back from an ACL injury for most people.

He may not have confidence in his knees and legs yet, which could explain why he was such a pussy last night.

As I said before, give him 6 games and see if he is getting better or not. They can always call back Tebow.

effzee

Way too early to make that call. Besides, Bradford looked really sharp in the second half, and there is no way Foles makes some of the throws that Bradford did when staring down a blitz. He needs to get more comfortable looking downfield, though.

I had a lot of issues and concerns from last night's game but Bradford is really not. I'll type it up later when I get time but the Offense was broken and nothing was working in the 1st half. 2nd half was a different game and they had to go with whatever worked.

Yes Bradford checked down a lot but he went with what worked and it was working really well. No doubt in my mind had they gone for it on 4&1 they win.

I despise what I'm about to say but what separates the Pats on offense is their ability to mold into whatever they need to be to beat the hell out of the weakness of their opposition. Sure, the base offense is lots of short passes on Brady's first or second read but you will also see games where they run 65% of the time and smash it down the other team's throat (*cough* Colts *cough*).

On the other hand you have the Dolphins who run a finesse offense that is always the same regardless of who they play. On third and one you will consistently see them lining up in shotgun and running some cute counter or some bullshit that gets stuffed for a 3 yard loss. Meanwhile the Pats just QB sneak in 90% of short yardage situations and always pick it up. Whatever minor adjustments the Dolphins make from opponent to opponent are pitiful compared to the way the Pats can adapt. It's all in the coaching.

People wonder why Dolphins fans complain about Philbin. When you watch the same mistakes year after year and don't get any changes to erase the flaws it's easy to understand why the frustration is there.

ampere

Their defense will slow the Pats down.

But I think Taylor, who I think could be good, might not be able to score enough to win the game.

It should be close though.

I saw a lot of holes for the Pats that a better team than the Steelers is going to expose.

I don't think Taylor will matter too much, looks like Rex wants to run the ball a ton. Harrison ran all over us on Thursday so our defense needs a lot of work

Rams got the better end off of 1 game? LOL ok. Bradford was shaky as hell but I doubt any Eagles fan is longing for Foles right now.

It's only 1 game, but the quality of opponents were night and day..Foles looked better of the 2, but still have 15 more games to be played, this trade will be judged every damn week so get used to it..

effzee

It's only 1 game, but the quality of opponents were night and day..Foles looked better of the 2, but still have 15 more games to be played, this trade will be judged every damn week so get used to it..

Agreed but once Chip/Eagles adjusted in the 2nd half the offense really came alive. Bradford, while yes not going deep, picked apart the ATL D in the 2nd half. Might also do with Chip becoming Reid 2.0 in the first half and only rushing 5 times.

I haven't checked but what were Foles's #s? How did he play overall?

Jarnet87

AP had 10 Carries. What a start to to the season. If they want Teddy Buttwater to keep fooling people into thinking he's a good QB they can't open the game with three straight passes and only give All Day 10 fucking carries. .

Eagles looked terrible in the first half, Darren Sproles is the best RB on the team.

gutshot

Eagles game thoughts:

That first half was bad. Pretty much all of the question marks that we were worried about prior to the Eagles' preseason dominance reared their ugly heads. Offensive line looked old and out-of-sync, secondary couldn't cover any one, Bradford looked rusty as hell. Only positive contribution from any of the new additions was Kiko Alonso showing off his athleticism with that end zone pick.

Props to Shanahan for coming up with a good offensive gameplan to neutralize our front 7 and attack our weakness, the secondary. That might be a tactic other teams look to emulate, but thankfully, there aren't many receivers like Julio Jones out there that can capitalize on it as often or as well. Davis made the necessary adjustments and started bringing more blitz pressure later in the game and that helped disrupt Ryan's timing. The Eagles D continued to show an ability to generate turnovers. Defensively, I felt like the Eagles did enough to win the game despite their secondary's struggles.

I give a lot of credit to Quinn having his defense fired up and ready to play. They won at the point-of-attack through sheer effort and energy. You could see that begin to lessen as the game wore on and the Eagles' superior conditioning took over. Bradford started to shake off the rust and the Eagles offensive line was able to create some holes in the running game with the stretch runs. The inside zone was not there at all last night, which is worrisome because that is the team's bread-and-butter. Mathis' absence was definitely felt.

Despite the horrendous start, the Eagles should have won the game. I strongly disagreed with the call to kick it on 4th-and-1. Even if Parkey makes it, you are asking a lot of your defense to stop Jones and Co. from driving into field goal range for a last-second game winner from the super-accurate Bryant. I think at that point, with your offense moving the football as they did, you go for it and if you convert you either score a TD and put the game nearly out of reach or bleed off a ton of clock and kick a higher percentage FG.

Last thing, I'm not blaming the refs for the loss at all, but that officiating was bad. Way too many flags for a lot of ticky-tacky stuff. I hate ref crews that call that crap. It totally disrupts the flow of the game and makes it so after every play you are just waiting for that flag to drop. Just call the blatant stuff and otherwise let the players play. Jeez.

Overall, a disappointing loss, but they showed enough in the second half to give me some hope that everything we saw in the preseason was not just a fluke. They just need to do that for 60 minutes next time. Clearly though, the Super Bowl talk was very premature. This team is still a work-in-progress, but I remain cautiously optimistic.

USA Today - Philadelphia Eagles QB Sam Bradford (undisclosed) had precautionary X-rays after the game Monday, Sept. 14, and he said everything is fine. Bradford wouldn't disclose what body part the X-rays were taken on.

Week 1? Really?

gutshot

Who are you talking to?

I said he should be given some time based on his return from a knee injury but I am pretty sure I never said he was going to be MVP!

eznark has a closet full of strawmen and likes to pull them out to beat the hell out of them whenever it is convenient.

Crisco

Banned
Hey Panthers GAF should Kuechly be back by Sunday? Need to know if he will be there for Hoyers demise.

Probably, but you never know with concussions. He apparently seemed fine yesterday, but symptoms often disappear in the immediate aftermath then show back up 2-3 days later. We probably won't know for sure until Friday if he passes the protocol.

I despise what I'm about to say but what separates the Pats on offense is their ability to mold into whatever they need to be to beat the hell out of the weakness of their opposition. Sure, the base offense is lots of short passes on Brady's first or second read but you will also see games where they run 65% of the time and smash it down the other team's throat (*cough* Colts *cough*).

On the other hand you have the Dolphins who run a finesse offense that is always the same regardless of who they play. On third and one you will consistently see them lining up in shotgun and running some cute counter or some bullshit that gets stuffed for a 3 yard loss. Meanwhile the Pats just QB sneak in 90% of short yardage situations and always pick it up. Whatever minor adjustments the Dolphins make from opponent to opponent are pitiful compared to the way the Pats can adapt. It's all in the coaching.

People wonder why Dolphins fans complain about Philbin. When you watch the same mistakes year after year and don't get any changes to erase the flaws it's easy to understand why the frustration is there.

What separates the Pats offense from the Eagles is the ability to steal the playbook before the game.

Top Bottom