• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 1 |OT| - A Fraud’s Quest for Gold

squicken

[IMG
Steelers very frequently run screens out of this formation. I know people scoffed at the idea of Pats personnel stealing playbooks, but I find it highly dubious the Pats prepared for this with just regular scouting and game tape.

The entire back 7 stays honest, and before the snap the safeties backpedal and never even hesitate. It's very sketchy. Maybe it is just great scouting?

Tom Penny

9oTq5fw.gif

I'm still perplexed by this play. If you don't recognize it this is the trick play the Steelers ran that lost them yardage and stalled their opening drive. 12 personnel, Steelers have been running all game to this point, Patriots safeties are high and start retreating at the snap.

Steelers very frequently run screens out of this formation. I know people scoffed at the idea of Pats personnel stealing playbooks, but I find it highly dubious the Pats prepared for this with just regular scouting and game tape.

Safties dropping back into deep coverage is brand new. They invented it that game.

jmdajr

Not that surprising.

OT-GAF have shown time and time again that its full of two types of people

1) Patriots bandwagoners with a flimsy grasp of reality

2) Nerds that hate sports, people who play and people who like watching them, because they don't get them.
I lol at the anti Super Bowl party posts on facebook.

"Wanna come to my party? "

Um... no!

9oTq5fw.gif

I'm still perplexed by this play. If you don't recognize it this is the trick play the Steelers ran that lost them yardage and stalled their opening drive. 12 personnel, Steelers have been running all game to this point, Patriots safeties are high and start retreating at the snap.

Obvious shenanigans

9oTq5fw.gif

Yeah, they definitely knew it was coming. Could've been that somebody gave it away, or could've been the pats' top notch SIGINT.

Interesting thing to me is, they were so certain it was going to be a wr pass that if he'd had the flexibility to run it like a normal screen, that's an easy 1st...

Crisco

Banned
Texans just need to throw Tom Savage to the wolves. Either he sacks up and develops into a franchise caliber QB, or they go 2-14 and draft someone decent.

Oh wait, he's on IR. Yikes :(

The entire back 7 stays honest, and before the snap the safeties backpedal and never even hesitate. It's very sketchy. Maybe it is just great scouting?

See, the thing is I remember the last two times the Steelers ran this play. 2012 against the Bengals on SNF:

Dropped_zpseaa524a2.gif

and against the Jets in 2013

stealers.gif

Twice in the four years Haley has been OC. Both teams they ran it against bit hard. Pats sniffed that out despite the Steelers playing a simple high percentage screen out of that formation 10 times as often?

Whether we were outcoached or outplayed or they had some kind of a leg up, I always felt that they knew some of our offensive plays,” Roethlisberger said. “For whatever reason. Maybe it was better scouting or whatever. But I had always felt that. But I’m not one to sit and say, ‘Hey,’ you know, to pout about it or talk about it. I just felt that they were — they beat us on that day and maybe I was a rookie and didn’t know any better but I always felt that the knew some of the plays we were calling.”

squicken

I guess I would want to see a gif of a screen, but if you just look at the OL, they are pass blocking. No one releases their guy as to block downfield like with a screen.

jmdajr

Texans just need to throw Tom Savage to the wolves. Either he sacks up and develops into a franchise caliber QB, or they go 2-14 and draft someone decent.

Oh wait, he's on IR. Yikes :(
Someone said they should go after Matt Cassel.

What other patriot rejects are there?

9oTq5fw.gif

l0UEZoq.gif

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
the one time I can watch the astros play, on ESPN through watchESPN, fuckers say its blacked out in my area. No I don't care if you don't like baseball.

can someone pm a possible way to watch this online?

Jarnet87

it's too early to go to Mallet, you ride Hoyer for at least another couple weeks. O'Brien is damned if he does damned if he doesn't, but switching QBs this early makes him look like an incompetent fool playing QB musical chairs every week.

zychi

Banned
the one time I can watch the astros play, on ESPN through watchESPN, fuckers say its blacked out in my area. No I don't care if you don't like baseball.

can someone pm a possible way to watch this online?

vpn extension.
use you cable credentials.

squicken

Eagles underrated, Chargers overrated in Week 2 Power Rankings Insider

Week 1 doesn't tell us much

The knee-jerk reaction after Week 1 is to immediately move teams up or down the Power Ranking based on Week 1 results. Last year, the Patriots lost 33-20 to the Dolphins in Week 1 and won the Super Bowl, and the Titans beat the Chiefs 26-10 and won one more game the entire season.

FPI does not overreact to wins and losses; it accounts for the level of competition faced and how each team (and the units on each team) performed compared to expectations. Based on these factors, the Eagles may be underrated in the latest ESPN Power Rankings and the Chargers may be overrated.

----
Philadelphia Eagles

Power Rankings rank: 15

FPI rank: 5

Reason they're underrated: Special teams not predictive

In a game that FPI expected to be a tossup, the Eagles performed about as expected on the road against the Falcons. The main reason they lost was poor special-teams play; in addition to missing a potential game-winning field goal with 2:26 remaining, the Eagles were outplayed on punts and kickoffs.

Accounting for the context of each play, the Eagles' special teams cost the team 10.6 points, while their offense and defense each outplayed the Falcons. Of the three phases of the game, special teams is the least predictive from one game to the next, so going forward, the Eagles are predicted to be one of the top-five teams in the league.

ParityBit

9oTq5fw.gif

LOL OMG it hurts .... stop making us laugh. You mean you think they cheated when the team they were playing RAN the same play 2 times before. As in, if the staff actually did some research they would know what to look for. Do you even know what you are saying anymore?

Yes, they stole the playbook. The whole thing. It was laying on top of the coffee maker inside the coaches room. The Pats just walked in and got it while Tomlin was taking a nice shit. Exactly what happened!

Man, the Patriots coaching staff is not only in the heads of the other NFL staffs, but the fans too.

I love it!

If you even paid attention to Belichick ONCE, you would know he breaks down plays from 10+ years ago on a telestrator on local shows. He has been a coach for 40 years and you think he has never seen this play before? Do you know they coach all sorts of situational plays in mini-camp?

Oh yeah, btw. Miami ran a play like this on the Pat's 2 years ago and scored a long gain. And yeah, Pat's have run this play also.

bionic77

The cheater is trying to make people forget about when the Niners were good.

Also it was kind of weird that they sniffed that play out so easily especially considering how badly they were getting beat in the run game.

It IS possible that could recognize some cheat or advance sign of the trick play. But also possible that Tomlin is a dumb fuck and they stole our playbook before the game.

Which is more likely?

GAF you decide!

bionic77

LOL OMG it hurts .... stop making us laugh. You mean you think they cheated when the team they were playing RAN the same play 2 times before. As in, if the staff actually did some research they would know what to look for. Do you even know what you are saying anymore?

Yes, they stole the playbook. The whole thing. It was laying on top of the coffee maker inside the coaches room. The Pats just walked in and got it while Tomlin was taking a nice shit. Exactly what happened!

Man, the Patriots coaching staff is not only in the heads of the other NFL staffs, but the fans too.

I love it!

If you even paid attention to Belichick ONCE, you would know he breaks down plays from 10+ years ago on a telestrator on local shows. He has been a coach for 40 years and you think he has never seen this play before? Do you know they coach all sorts of situational plays in mini-camp?

Oh yeah, btw. Miami ran a play like this on the Pat's 2 years ago and scored a long gain. And yeah, Pat's have run this play also.
If the Pats didn't want to be seen as cheaters maybe they should not have cheated for so many years.

The rep is there. Stop crying about it and move on. That's just who your team is.

I love it!

Methinks the Pink Hat doth protest too much.

The cheater is trying to make people forget about when the Niners were good.

Also it was kind of weird that they sniffed that play out so easily especially considering how badly they were getting beat in the run game.

It IS possible that could recognize some cheat or advance sign of the trick play. But also possible that Tomlin is a dumb fuck and they stole our playbook before the game.

Which is more likely?

GAF you decide!
Who was responsible for the Steelers defense

cdyhybrid

I love it!

Well, I'm convinced.

The Pats lifelong says the Pats don't cheat (even though they've been caught twice) - I guess that settles it!

Top Bottom