• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 1 |OT| - A Fraud’s Quest for Gold

Talon

For the new page:
Pretty good read from WSJ. Ultimately, the NFL has managed to commoditize the SAM, nose tackle, and tailback over the last decade, so it's only a matter of time.
Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi said the new crop of college quarterbacks were flummoxed by a simple question about an “under” front, one of the most common defensive alignments. “Whoa, no one’s ever told me ‘front’ before,” he remembers one prospect saying. “No one’s ever talked to me about reading these defenses.”

Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley said he had the same results when he asked prospects a question about defenses shifting from a common scheme called “cover 2” to an equally mundane tactic called “cover 3.” Hue Jackson, the offensive coordinator from the Bengals, said he had to dumb down his questions, while Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton said some QBs failed to grasp things as basic as understanding a common play call. “You have to teach these kids the absolute basics,” he said.
In the last decade, many college football teams have embraced a form of offense that runs at a furious tempo with no breaks for huddles, the goal being to grind down and exhaust the defense. Teams that play this way don’t bother trying to fool their opponents with complex schemes and trickery, they just bull forward as fast as they can. College defenses have been forced to adapt to this “hurry-up” mode by simplifying their fronts and coverage packages to help the players keep pace. The learning curve, at the NFL level, NFL people say, is so massive that it’s hard to overcome for all but the best college quarterbacks.

The trouble with this trend, NFL experts say, is that many of the players coming from the college ranks have spent their entire careers playing in this high-throttle system, which is completely different from the slower, deliberate and more complex nature of the NFL. When they come to the NFL, it’s as if they’re being told to stop playing speed checkers and start playing chess. And the NFL, which doesn’t have a minor league of its own, has no influence over college coaches. “They don’t coach anything,” said Rex Ryan, the head coach of the Buffalo Bills, when discussing college defenses.
Indeed, Snead has similar thoughts. He recalled the brilliance behind the “Cover 2” or “Tampa 2” defenses, popularized first by the Pittsburgh Steelers of the 1970s then refined by multiple teams in the 1990s, which minimized the importance of “cover” cornerbacks, who could lock up wide receivers in man-to-man coverage and are expensive and hard to find. Snead said the race is on to find a similar strategy that minimizes the importance of the quarterback. “The person who makes the quarterback like they made the cornerback will be a name that will be remembered forever,” Snead said. “But it will take courage to do it.”

NFL coaches are still trying to figure out which elements of the college innovations can be used in the NFL. One issue is that NFL rules prohibit teams from snapping the ball as quickly after plays, meaning they cannot run a pure uptempo offense. Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Adam Gase singled out Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly, a former Oregon coach, as bringing positive elements of the spread to the pros. “They do a good job and they haven’t sold out to the scheme and most importantly their quarterbacks don’t take huge hits,” Gase said. “The quarterback position is so valuable you want to adapt to their strengths, they do that.”

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-nfl-has-a-quarterback-crisis-1441819454
Pete Caroll already did it. And Seattle still had to pay him.

Question, has the NFL always had a bit of QB problem? There aren't enough quality QBs right now, the good ones are aging and the league relies more than ever on the position, but when you think about it there were never enough quality QBs in the past either. Back in the 80's and early 90's you could dink and dunk, pound the rock, play great/good defense and that was enough to compete. League's changed, few teams can do that these days. Teams like the Bucs, Hawks, Steelers, Ravens are rare. They didn't have a generational QB when they won (Burger turned into one), but they had generational Defenses. We've had 2 excellent QB drafts in the last 30 years or so, every couple of years we pull out a good talent, but it's one guy, two tops.

I've been thinking about this topic a lot, the game in general. The quality, for me, has gone down. Last year was garbage, I enjoyed the college game more because I know what I'm signing up for when I watch CFB. Fans gravitating towards the NFL do it because of social aspects, you can get together with your buds, barely pay attention and enjoy yourself. Fantasy football has drawn in a ton a fans. So many of my friends that gave zero shits about this sport a decade, now can't wait for Sunday strictly due to to fantasy. They don't watch the games, they watch scoreboards and their iphones.

I like what Les Snead said, adapt or die. Whaley talks about QB IQ, but he drafted EJ who has no IQ on the football field. EJ may be able to point out the mike, some teams have the Center call the protection anyway, he may know what an under front is, may know what pattern reads to look for on paper against X coverage, but get him on the field and he processes information at a snails pace. Why did these GMs shun Wilson and Bridgewater? IF it's about intelligence then why were these guys passed up? They probably have it in the classroom and on the field, but they were passed up. Why? Old dogs, most GMs fall back on measurables. They all want 6'4", with huge hands, big arms, large frames that can take hits even though you can't touch QBs these days.

Development is a huge issue, if you're not starting by year 2 you're a bust. There's not enough practice time to develop these guys, it's not exclusive to the QB position either. If you draft a guy in the second or later you have 4 years of control, if he gets injured or needs some grooming you have no room for error. If he does develop late, he'll get tagged, but you'll never take advantage of his cost controlled years because you were still getting him up to speed. You spent the low cost years trying to turn him into a viable player, as soon as he turns into one you're paying a premium price for his services. This is the opposite of NHL/MLB. Bad MLB teams didn't/don't spend enough on their minor league teams, an area where they should spend the majority of their money/efforts. It's not because they didn't chase the big FA's like the Yanks, they neglected their farm teams. We all know how the NFL can correct the development issue, we also know they probably won't come after CFB.

So many bad owners, bad front offices, lots of bad, some good. I can talk about this stuff for hours, don't want to bore you guys. Easier to talk about these things over a few cold ones than to sit down and write it all out. Not enough time to gather all of my thoughts and post them in a coherent way. Topic deserved a response, a rare football topic that we can discuss for a change.

tldr ENJOY THE FOOTBALL SEASON! Go Bills!

W/R/T to the part about development I saw something on Twitter where someone mentioned that a scout or someone had told someone else that RG3 would take 5 years to become a pocket passer, and the guy who tweet this mentioned that that was 3 years too many. I had two thoughts, the first "why are they always trying so hard to make everyone a pocket passer?" and two "if its gonna take a dude so long to develop, why would you give up so much to get him?".

It seems weird to bitch about a lack of QB talent when potential QBs are receiving more coaching and spending more time in camps throwing and learning offenses than ever before. I kind of wonder if its more along your premise that the NFL has a talent evaluation problem. They either focus too much on measureables and not enough on football skills, intelligence, or GASP system fit. I suppose some of that is just the arrogance of NFL coaches and execs in believing that they can mold and shape athletic ability in to polished players (a problem that plagues the NBA as well), but then they turn around and whine about players not being ready.

There's also the fact that HS and College coaches are way more innovative with their offensive stuff and the number of teams running 1960s drop backs is so low compared to the NFL.

DMczaf

DM the prophet

DM probably snitched.

mendeecees-is-a-snitch.jpg

Talon

Totally agree, LJ, that quality of play has gone down. Game has grown because it's skewed so hard to the LCD - allowing offense, offense, OFFENSE!

QBs have always been hard to develop - I don't think the article disagrees - but I think it's identifying that there's actually a gulf between where the college game is and the pro game is for the first time in about 2 decades.

I bet if we look at the run n gun era of the 80s, we'd see a similar article.

Talon

wait so QB's are worse than ever but the league is popular because of all the offensive explosions? uhhhh
Confluence of a couple things, in my mind:
1. Rules skewed towards easing the passing game for receivers - not only contact but also hard hits down the middle to separate receivers from the pigskin (by the way, watching the Madden 2005 intro is ridiculous. It's basically 35 seconds of [now] illegal hits.).
2. Quarterbacks better protected by rules around going below and above.
3. Growth of the NFL in popular mainstream since the late 90s has led to it drawing more and more talent to the skill positions - likely from baseball.
4. Offenses are more wide open about tossing the ball 30-40 times a game as a result.

3 really begets 1 and 2 (or vice versa), and NFL owners are riding this sweet, sweet profit train to the bank.

I mean, seriously, from an ability standpoint, Amani Toomer would not be a leading receiver on any fucking team in this league, and Peerless Price wouldn't even get a second look anywhere.

As we embark on another NFL season, let me remind yall of this year's Grover's Annual Bet To End in Disaster and Infamy

That's right. If the Pats win the division or make the wild card, I lose.

Dolphins, Imma need yall to come through for me.
Bills, Imma need yall to raise hell.

Jets, Imma need yall to...just don't be fuck ups.

Time for picks.

Grover.. No one would think less of you if you wanted to change your mind about the pats not making playoffs period.

I .. don't see how they don't make it to wild card at least...

Zombie 2pac or the hologram because i would probably watch both.

Talon

Also, objectively, we are living in a pretty charmed era of quarterbacks right now between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning towards the end of their careers, Aaron Rodgers as an already all-time great and Ben Roethlisberger who will be an easy HoFer, and then we have Andrew Luck who, in theory, has all the tools of Godgers and Roethlisberger along with more wheels.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
There's never been a ton of great qb's in the league at any time. I do think they aren't allowed to develop anymore. Used to be that qb's sat on the bench before they saw the field. It wasn't even that long ago. Rodgers sat. Eli sat. Ben sat. Rivers sat. And all of those guys came in before the rookie salary cap. The big difference is that now everyone wants their qb to play right fucking now! Some guys just aren't ready. Some guys take a while to get it. Doesn't mean they're useless or can't get better. GIVE TEBOW ANOTHER CHANCE!

Gigglepoo

I think you're joking but it seriously plays a HUGE part. FF brings in millions for the league.

Hate that shit

Half joking. Fantasy football has changed how people watch and play games for the worse. And the league is all too happy to cater to the demands of an audience starved for fantasy action.

Also an important factor: safety. Defense hurts.

There's never been a ton of great qb's in the league at any time. I do think they aren't allowed to develop anymore. Used to be that qb's sat on the bench before they saw the field. It wasn't even that long ago. Rodgers sat. Eli sat. Ben sat. Rivers sat. And all of those guys came in before the rookie salary cap. The big difference is that now everyone wants their qb to play right fucking now! Some guys just aren't ready. Some guys take a while to get it. Doesn't mean they're useless or can't get better. GIVE TEBOW ANOTHER CHANCE!
:jnc

Perfect.

Talon

Eli sat for half a season. Ben sat for 3 games. So those guys didn't sit very long.

I actually think the early success by Ben and Philip and then both Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco starting all season and taking their teams to the playoffs the rookie years changed the expectations for rookie quarterbacks. I distinctly remember the offseason prior to that being filled with debates over sitting and starting guys, and it's hardly even a discussion nowadays.

cdyhybrid

I want Kanye and Daft Punk.

I'm down with Prince or Bruno Mars again though.

I just brought home a Young's Double Chocolate Stout and a Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale because work is kicking my ass this week. Mmm. This will be my first taste of the Brown Ale.

Talon

I want Kanye and Daft Punk.

I'm down with Prince or Bruno Mars again though.

I just brought home a Young's Double Chocolate Stout and a Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale because work is kicking my ass this week. Mmm. This will be my first taste of the Brown Ale.
Is that what we're calling FMT now?

Eli sat for half a season. Ben sat for 3 games. So those guys didn't sit very long.

I actually think the early success by Ben and Philip and then both Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco starting all season and taking their teams to the playoffs the rookie years changed the expectations for rookie quarterbacks. I distinctly remember the offseason prior to that being filled with debates over sitting and starting guys, and it's hardly even a discussion nowadays.

Tannehill started right away and only after 19 college starts. Now I'm not saying he's at ben or even flaccos level but he's been trending up each year. I know he hasn't gone to the playoffs but wins aren't a QB stat.

Yea but these QB suck, the league made it easy for them and they still can't hit a open man.

but there are more passing yards/scoring than ever....

i'm not disagreeing that there are a lot of trash qb's in the leauge, but i feel it has always been that way and sure, if you put joe montana and steve young (objectively the 2 greatest QB's in NFL history) in this nfl they probably reach 5k yards without much of a problem (especially with the objectively greatest WR in the game jerry rice), and maybe if you put an average early 90's QB (say one of the greatest backups ever steve bono) into todays NFL he would have even better stats but i still think succeeding at qb, even with the rules in your favor, takes a lot of skill

Talon

Tannehill started right away and only after 19 college starts. Now I'm not saying he's at ben or even flaccos level but he's been trending up each year. I know he hasn't gone to the playoffs but wins aren't a QB stat.
Tannehill could be Jesus Christ himself, and he would still never win that division because Miami management is dumb as shit enough to have their playsheets stolen by opposing interns.

Red Hot Chili peppers would be good

Yup. They would kill it.

This is a dumb one.. I would kinda be interested/entertained by a Weird Al Yankovic performance just to see some dumb shit with whatever he'd do. I'd know it would never happen, but it would be interesting.

I guess another one could be Green Day or Smashing Pumpkins.

Tannehill could be Jesus Christ himself, and he would still never win that division because Miami management is dumb as shit enough to have their playsheets stolen by opposing interns.

Hey now that was old management, this management is just clueless on the field.

Yup. They would kill it.

This is a dumb one.. I would kinda be interested/entertained by a Weird Al Yankovic performance just to see some dumb shit with whatever he'd do. I'd know it would never happen, but it would be interesting.

I guess another one could be Green Day or Smashing Pumpkins.

I wouldn't mind Smashing Pumpkins but fuck Corgan, I hate that guy.

I love Tyrod but my Dolphins love conquers all!

Glad to know you're by my side no matter where our misery comes from!

Hey now that was old management, this management is just clueless on the field.

I wouldn't mind Smashing Pumpkins but fuck Corgan, I hate that guy.

New management can't fuck it up that bad.. If Philbin does.. Your dumb owner needs to go beg FMT's God to come to Miami (considering he's one of UofM's biggest sponsors) I was a shocked y'all kept him.. He literally chocked away several games for y'all.

Dick Corgan may be. I would still watch Pumpkins at halftime.

New management can't fuck it up that bad.. If Philbin does.. Your dumb owner needs to go beg FMT's God to come to Miami (considering he's one of UofM's biggest sponsors) I was a shocked y'all kept him.. He literally chocked away several games for y'all.

Dick Corgan may be. I would still watch Pumpkins at halftime.

I'm with you, I wanted him gone last year and I'm not happy with him still here. Granted he's "changed" and players seem to be responding. The biggest knock against him was how unprepared the teams were for big games so I don't care how buddy-buddy he is with the players now, he needs to have them ready for those playoff clinching games. I'm sick of seeing this team come out flat against lesser opponents. Two extra wins that last two seasons and we make the playoffs but instead we lose to the likes of the Bills, Jets, Bucs etc.

mr2xxx

Banned
W/R/T to the part about development I saw something on Twitter where someone mentioned that a scout or someone had told someone else that RG3 would take 5 years to become a pocket passer, and the guy who tweet this mentioned that that was 3 years too many. I had two thoughts, the first "why are they always trying so hard to make everyone a pocket passer?" and two "if its gonna take a dude so long to develop, why would you give up so much to get him?".

It seems weird to bitch about a lack of QB talent when potential QBs are receiving more coaching and spending more time in camps throwing and learning offenses than ever before. I kind of wonder if its more along your premise that the NFL has a talent evaluation problem. They either focus too much on measureables and not enough on football skills, intelligence, or GASP system fit. I suppose some of that is just the arrogance of NFL coaches and execs in believing that they can mold and shape athletic ability in to polished players (a problem that plagues the NBA as well), but then they turn around and whine about players not being ready.

There's also the fact that HS and College coaches are way more innovative with their offensive stuff and the number of teams running 1960s drop backs is so low compared to the NFL.

Problem is that coaches/GM don't have 5 years to develop a QB. Regarding the RG3 situation there is a dysfunctional organization behind that. Shanny wanted Tannenhill because of the cost associated with the RG3 pick. Snyder over rode it though, same way he wanted McNabb and made it happen despite Shanny having "full control". Shanny then structured the offense around RG3. After the injury, Rg3, his father and Snyder put pressure on Shanny to make Robert into a pocket QB. At this point Snyder and RG3 were buddy buddy and were spending holidays together. Shanny knew it would take years to make Robert a pocket QB but at this point didn't have a choice. Shanny is a whiny lil bastard who uses his media connections to put out a lot of false info but some of those rumors are true because it coincides with Snyders past actions.

I'm with you, I wanted him gone last year and I'm not happy with him still here. Granted he's "changed" and players seem to be responding. The biggest knock against him was how unprepared the teams were for big games so I don't care how buddy-buddy he is with the players now, he needs to have them ready for those playoff clinching games. I'm sick of seeing this team come out flat against lesser opponents. Two extra wins that last two seasons and we make the playoffs but instead we lose to the likes of the Bills, Jets, Bucs etc.

There should be almost no excuse for y'all to not make playoffs now barring any injuries. You all should at least make wild card considering the AFC North is going on a slight down swing where they'll only get one spot for Wild Card.

If y'all are sitting at home again, Ross needs to pull in Philbin and say out out out. Then call Jim and say to him Fuck Michigan. Wanna make more money than Saban and have full say and beat that fuck of a brother in Baltimore. Come to Miami. We got the pieces for the good ship. It just needs a captain.

I like what Les Snead said, adapt or die. Whaley talks about QB IQ, but he drafted EJ who has no IQ on the football field. EJ may be able to point out the mike, some teams have the Center call the protection anyway, he may know what an under front is, may know what pattern reads to look for on paper against X coverage, but get him on the field and he processes information at a snails pace. Why did these GMs shun Wilson and Bridgewater? IF it's about intelligence then why were these guys passed up? They probably have it in the classroom and on the field, but they were passed up. Why? Old dogs, most GMs fall back on measurables. They all want 6'4", with huge hands, big arms, large frames that can take hits even though you can't touch QBs these days.

[/B]

Measurables play a role but I think another thing is that a lot of GMs and NFL execs come from a corporate culture full of bullshitting. For all the tank in that article about coaches being unimpressed with most QBs...they still picked Manziel, Manuel, etc.

The most confident or charismatic guy can easily blow these guys away in meetings and make them comfortable with picking them. How else can you explain why a Manziel type, who isn't an NFL QB, can go in the first round well ahead of someone like Bridgewater, or even why Wilson fell. Lots of good old boy shit going on with these dudes.

I still don't understand how Bridgewater went under the radar.

For the new page:
Pretty good read from WSJ. Ultimately, the NFL has managed to commoditize the SAM, nose tackle, and tailback over the last decade, so it's only a matter of time.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-nfl-has-a-quarterback-crisis-1441819454
Pete Caroll already did it. And Seattle still had to pay him.
I don't think the spoiler is true, and I don't think the idea is even possible without rule changes to de-emphasize the passing game back to where it was. And the rule changes are hard to imagine happening, since the casual fan loves high scoring games, and the NFL loves the casual fan.

Reminder: It wasn't that long ago that QB was a commoditized position. Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson are SB winning QBs.

but there are more passing yards/scoring than ever....

i'm not disagreeing that there are a lot of trash qb's in the leauge, but i feel it has always been that way and sure, if you put joe montana and steve young (objectively the 2 greatest QB's in NFL history) in this nfl they probably reach 5k yards without much of a problem (especially with the objectively greatest WR in the game jerry rice), and maybe if you put an average early 90's QB (say one of the greatest backups ever steve bono) into todays NFL he would have even better stats but i still think succeeding at qb, even with the rules in your favor, takes a lot of skill

Think about it even Stafford gets a shit ton of stats. If the league had good QB everyone would look like Rodgers right now!

Question, has the NFL always had a bit of QB problem? There aren't enough quality QBs right now, the good ones are aging and the league relies more than ever on the position, but when you think about it there were never enough quality QBs in the past either. Back in the 80's and early 90's you could dink and dunk, pound the rock, play great/good defense and that was enough to compete. League's changed, few teams can do that these days. Teams like the Bucs, Hawks, Steelers, Ravens are rare. They didn't have a generational QB when they won (Burger turned into one), but they had generational Defenses. We've had 2 excellent QB drafts in the last 30 years or so, every couple of years we pull out a good talent, but it's one guy, two tops.

I've been thinking about this topic a lot, the game in general. The quality, for me, has gone down. Last year was garbage, I enjoyed the college game more because I know what I'm signing up for when I watch CFB. Fans gravitating towards the NFL do it because of social aspects, you can get together with your buds, barely pay attention and enjoy yourself. Fantasy football has drawn in a ton a fans. So many of my friends that gave zero shits about this sport a decade, now can't wait for Sunday strictly due to to fantasy. They don't watch the games, they watch scoreboards and their iphones.

Development is a huge issue, if you're not starting by year 2 you're a bust. There's not enough practice time to develop these guys, it's not exclusive to the QB position either. If you draft a guy in the second or later you have 4 years of control, if he gets injured or needs some grooming you have no room for error. If he does develop late, he'll get tagged, but you'll never take advantage of his cost controlled years because you were still getting him up to speed. You spent the low cost years trying to turn him into a viable player, as soon as he turns into one you're paying a premium price for his services. This is the opposite of NHL/MLB. Bad MLB teams didn't/don't spend enough on their minor league teams, an area where they should spend the majority of their money/efforts. It's not because they didn't chase the big FA's like the Yanks, they neglected their farm teams. We all know how the NFL can correct the development issue, we also know they probably won't come after CFB.

So many bad owners, bad front offices, lots of bad, some good. I can talk about this stuff for hours, don't want to bore you guys. Easier to talk about these things over a few cold ones than to sit down and write it all out. Not enough time to gather all of my thoughts and post them in a coherent way. Topic deserved a response, a rare football topic that we can discuss for a change.

tldr ENJOY THE FOOTBALL SEASON! Go Bills!

Aargh, you always post when i'm long gone!

NFL's focus on the quarterback is turning the league to shit IMO. I feel there are the same amount of elite QBs now as there were 10 years ago, and i'm confident the same will be true in 10 years. The talent disparity seems so huge now because the NFL has tweaked the rules to prioritize the QB over everything else. Defenses can't touch QBs or receivers anymore, that puts the ball in the QBs hands. More touches, more passes, more TDs.

It's ironic, I feel like i'm watching two different sports when the playoffs roll around. Refs swallow whistles and let the teams play, and surprise the most well rounded team floats to the top.

He didn't go under the radar. He was the #1 QB until the Combine/Pro Day eval period and suddenly mysteriously started getting nitpicked to death by seemingly everyone. It was ridiculous.
That's what I mean.

Somehow he almost dropped out of the 1st round. Cleveland trades up to draft Manziel. Completely asinine. For all the talk about how QBs aren't NFL ready, so many of the awful franchises aren't QB ready.

Aargh, you always post when i'm long gone!

NFL's focus on the quarterback is turning the league to shit IMO. I feel there are the same amount of elite QBs now as there were 10 years ago, and i'm confident the same will be true in 10 years. The talent disparity seems so huge now because the NFL has tweaked the rules to prioritize the QB over everything else. Defenses can't touch QBs or receivers anymore, that puts the ball in the QBs hands.

I feel like i'm watching two different sports when the playoffs roll around. Refs swallow whistles and let the teams play, and surprise the most well rounded team floats to the top.
I agree with everything in this post.

cdyhybrid

That's what I mean.

Somehow he almost dropped out of the 1st round. Cleveland trades up to draft Manziel. Completely asinine. For all the talk about how QBs aren't NFL ready, so many of the awful franchises aren't QB ready.

I agree with everything in this post.

Agreed. Lots of shitty teams drafting shitty QBs and putting them in shitty situations with shitty talent around them and wondering why they aren't improving.

college football is hard to watch for me. you can say you "know what you're getting into", but what you're getting into is a bunch of fuckery with horrible blown coverages and a few teams who just completely overmatch their opponents because of superior scouting/talent pools. sure, an upset happens here and there, but for the most part college football is borderline unwatchable for me. i guess that's overexaggerating because i can watch it and enjoy it but i would rather watch the bucs vs. browns regular season game vs. the college football national title game

Trey

I think the QB play has never been better across the league. When you look back at the "good ol days," you remember the all timers only. Meanwhile, the Hoyers and Fitzpatricks of today are fresh in your mind because they are contemporary.

Ten years from now, this time will be looked back on as the greatest period of quarterback play in league history. You have three dudes currently playing right now who have legitimate claims on top 5 QB of all time.

Top Bottom