• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 14 |OT| - A Fraud Probably Injures Himself

LJ11

Honestly, when I watch a lot of the elite QBs in this league, they barely have to go through their progressions. QBs rarely have the time to scan the entire field. All in the presnap, watch for some late rotation. Brady's the king of this shit, especially with all the motion tipping off the D. Guy is on read 1 85% of the time, just knows what's going to be open, especially with the way they package routes.

Big Ben on the other hand is the greatest QB improviser the sport has seen, dude is playing street ball. Fuck reads.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Honestly, when I watch a lot of the elite QBs in this league, they barely have to go through their progressions. QBs rarely have the time to scan the entire field. All in the presnap, watch for some late rotation. Brady's the king of this shit, especially with all the motion tipping off the D. Guy is on read 1 85% of the time, just knows what's going to be open, especially with the way they package routes.

Big Ben on the other hand is the greatest QB improviser the sport has seen, dude is playing street ball. Fuck reads.

You seem oddly not-suicidal this morning.

eznark

Banned

Big Ben on the other hand is the greatest QB improviser the sport has scene, dude is playing street ball. Fuck reads.

System QB's have to be, especially in a horizontal sub 1.3 second offense.

Watch Rodgers or Romo or Palmer or Brees (or anyone who is expected to throw the ball to the sticks consistently) and it's not at all uncommon to go 1 - 2 - 1 on the reads. (Receivers are such shit in this league that no one wants to get past the second read to the third)

squicken

I don't claim to have seen most the top prospects in this draft, and I know it is supposed to be strong for both lines, but CLE needs to draft Laquon Treadwell. As long as all his medical stuff checks out, he's going to be a stud

eznark

Banned
I don't claim to have seen most the top prospects in this draft, and I know it is supposed to be strong for both lines, but CLE needs to draft Laquon Treadwell. As long as all his medical stuff checks out, he's going to be a stud

Will he transition well to LB for them?

LJ11

You seem oddly not-suicidal this morning.

I'm dead inside homie. Never ending cycle, it's hard to get my feelings across via text, not a great writer, but you'd have some laughs if you spoke with me.

ez, yeah, guys go through reads, some guys more than others, but understanding presnap/keying on defenders before the snap can get you a long way. Some guys just know how to play the position, process stuff 10x faster than others. You have very little time to do things as QB, how much scanning can you do?

Edit: That Manziel clip where he's directing the receiver while scrambling if funny, Manziel has to tell the receiver to uncover. I see that with Tyrod a lot, pointing at guys. With Ben, these guys know to get loose, keep running opening, he'll find your ass. Chemistry matters.

Since Romo is refusing surgery, who will the Cowboys take at QB in round one?

Romo will have to get smashed out of three more seasons before Jerry moves on from him. He desperately wants to win a Super Bowl with him so he can prove what a brilliant football mind he is for discovering him.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That is such great news. It is almost impossible to believe that there were people who thought that the Rams got the better of that deal. jnc

They got next years 2nd round pick for Bradford. Foles has been a disaster but they still made out well pick wise although someone else might be making that pick.

Bradford hasn't been good this year. That is a really tepid endorsement too, like no shit a GM hopes a guy he acquired is around for more than one year.

eznark

Banned
I'm dead inside homie. Never ending cycle, it's hard to get my feelings across via text, not a great writer, but you'd have some laughs if you spoke with me.

ez, yeah, guys go through reads, some guys more than others, but understanding presnap/keying on defenders before the snap can get you a long way. Some guys just know how to play the position, process stuff 10x faster than others. You have very little time to do things as QB, how much scanning can you do?

Sure, especially with the way defenses play so much more aggressive now you generally have to have a good idea where you are going with the ball early. Part of that is the change to the way defenses can play. If you don't get to the quarterback someone is either going to get open or get held, so you almost always will have some sort of hot.

The thing that impressed me with Manziel is he did both. Made a number of pre-snap calls, delivered the ball on time under pressure and in the face of the blitz but also when given time he slowed the game down and went through his reads.

It sounds shocking, but he played....maturely

Don't the Ravens have something like 19 out injured?

Cyn3HV7.gif

Also, we lost our starting Left Tackle post the making of this dumb gif.

Nobody can say shit when it comes to injuries decimating a team to to the point of....

Oh and :
Ryan Mallett will be signing with the Baltimore Ravens, per @diannaESPN.

Congrats Larry

Yeah....

ampere

That is such great news. It is almost impossible to believe that there were people who thought that the Rams got the better of that deal. jnc

Rams got the better half of the deal because they dumped his salary

I thought Foles was a lot better, now I admit they both suck

You gave up a second round pick for 14 TDs and 11 INTs and you're trying to argue that the Eagles did well out of the trade?

This level of delusion is not good for your health.

eznark

Banned
Andrew Brandt @AndrewBrandt
Interesting: NFL announces Dec. 27 flex scheduling depends on tonight's outcome. If NYG wins, NYG-Minn flexed; if NYG loses, it's Pitt-Bal.

Wait, Eagles fans are excited that Bradford is a lock to come back? What a depressing commentary on the state of QB play.

Excellent negotiating by Chip there too, he'd been a real bang up GM.

squicken

You gave up a second round pick for 14 TDs and 11 INTs and you're trying to argue that the Eagles did well out of the trade?

This level of delusion is not good for your health.

He's not alone. I can't claim to have seen everything Foles did, but the Philly media is mostly on-board with Bradford. Definitely some dissent, and lukewarm endorsements. But they all seem to really not think much of what Foles did

How many games until they mean something? Like, how many of a players games do we pretend tell us nothing until we decide that magically they do?

He played well. If he plays well for three weeks will you then look at this game and say ok I guess he played well in that game now too, because in hindsight he has played well since. That's stupid as fuck. If he plays like shit next week he will have played like shit next week. Are we not allowed to say he played like shit because it was only one week?

Can we only evaluate the play of veterans now? And how much service time do they need before we can say if they were good in one game? Lacy has played three years, is it ok to say he played well yesterday or is that not a long enough career to evaluate how he was on a particular Sunday?

he played well against a bad defense. kaepernick (and other bad QB's) have played well against bad defenses in the past. my whole point to begin with was it was only 1 game. YOU are the one who said he is "kaepernick with a high IQ" after 1 game against a bad defense. do you know what kaepernick with a high IQ would be? a probowl QB, if not better. so after 1 game against one of the worst defenses in the league you are saying john F is some type of QB prodigy

Godslay

Banned
I agree with all of that except that there were 51 passes thrown and while Brock was under pressure, most of his passes were check downs. That means that he had time to go through his progressions and, therefore, had time to throw the ball deep. There were only two or three plays that I remember where Brock was literally dead in the water from the moment the ball was snapped.

Was the offensive line terrible? Yes. Could Brock have pushed the ball deeper? Also, yes.

Maybe so. I know that he had plenty of time in the first half and moved the ball down the field just fine even with the short stuff 22/29 for 199 with all four drives resulting in points. There weren't many mistakes on those drives, and the pass pro held up.

In the second half, Raiders pass rush was suffocating and mistakes were made in terms of drops and bad pass pro. Brock was 13/22 for 109 with 8 drives in the 2nd half. Of those 8 drives, 7 drives were 6 plays or less (5 were 3 and Outs, either by safety, fumble, or punt). The other 2 bad drives? 4 plays for 5 yards, and 6 plays for 13 yards.

The one good drive went 49 yards in 8 plays, he was 5/6 for for 51 yards, with a -2 yard sack.

In reality it's probably a combo of Kubiak throttling the play calls, Brock staring down or not taking the risk through the air, and bad line play both on rush and pass. I don't disagree with your idea. If anything, I would love to see him make some deeper throws because he can do it and it's one advantage he has over Manning. He just needs a sliver more time to do it.

LJ11

Real talk, Tyrod and 2nd round pick or Bradford.

I feel like I'm in bizzaro world with some Bills fans, they're slamming him but he's been good enough to win with outside of one brutal game.

Edit: I'm a complete believer, fuck that. He can improve but the guy throws some absolute dimes. I wish he nailed Watkins on that corner post, would have changed the game completely. Safeties would have backed up even more.

eznark

Banned
do you know what kaepernick with a high IQ would be? a probowl QB, if not better.

Nah, Kaepernick with a high IQ still has no touch.

Later I said he could be Russell Wilson! That's a pro bowl QB.

The Kaep comp was that he played that particular game like dumpster baby with a high IQ (he made smart decisions and was generally accurate but still didn't had too much zip on a lot of throws which made them difficult to handle.

The Wilson comp is what I think he has the skill set to become (based off of his most recent game).

The defense is largely irrelevant because again I don't care about the outcomes, I am impressed with his process yesterday.

tmdorsey

I feel like I'm in bizzaro world with some Bills fans, they're slamming him but he's been good enough to win with outside of one brutal game.

That's how I feel listening to people complain about Ryan.

Doomsayer

I really like Tyrod, I think he is a little erratic at times but he's still a project. That last throw against the Eagles yesterday was really, really bad though.

Milchjon

If Brady's supposedly playing easy mode, why don't other teams do the same?
Seems to work out quite nicely, and should be easier than trying to find the next Aaron Rodgers....

Top Bottom