• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 14 |OT| - A Fraud Probably Injures Himself

Fox318

I cried at Jak's funeral.
NjEXHBF.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Witcher 3 is great but y'all knew that.

Just finally finished Arkham Origins on PC, still thought it was amazing even though lots of people hated it.

It's weird but games seem to stay more current longer. I finished the Witcher 2 and had a blast a month ago or so and that came out four years ago. Imagine playing Super Mario Bros in 1991 instead of playing Super Mario World...that would have been unthinkable when I was a kid. Everyone was always playing the latest stuff. Games just don't age as much as they used to.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Just finally finished Arkham Origins on PC, still thought it was amazing even though lots of people hated it.

It's weird but games seem to stay more current longer. I finished the Witcher 2 and had a blast a month ago or so and that came out four years ago. Imagine playing Super Mario Bros in 1991 instead of playing Super Mario World...that would have been unthinkable when I was a kid. Everyone was always playing the latest stuff. Games just don't age as much as they used to.

Try being a kid stuck on the SNES generation during the 3D era. That shit literally changed gaming tastes forever and lead to a 2D backlash that really didn't go away for 15 years.

Hindl

I dunno, I see your point, but this gen kinda feels like we're finally at the 3D equivalent of the 16 bit era. The reason games started to age so much was because we had an entirely new control scheme/platform with 3D, and it was only really last gen that the methods for moving around in a 3D space got standardized. That's what makes the N64/PS2 eras age so poorly. It's similar to how NES games can feel outdated to play, while SNES games are still timeless. Because it was in that 16 bit era where we really nailed 2D game design standards, just like last gen was when we started to nail 3D design standards. Like you talk about games not aging, or imagine playing Super Mario Bros in 1991, but I missed the 16 bit generation due to my age, and only in the last year have started to go back and play the classics like Super Mario World. Those games hold up completely, and have stayed "current" longer than any more recent games. I approached games like SMW and LTTP roughly 20 years after they came out, and I don't have to qualify my love of them or their quality as "for their time". Those games are legitimately fantastic even by today's standards. I feel like this gen is going to be the 3D equivalent of that, where 10-20 years from now it'll still be easy to come back to these games.

jakncoke

Banned
morning chochas

Don Shula is the most games over .500 with 172, on the flipside his son David is 2nd worst at 33 games under with a 19 and 52 record

Also foxes non hc Mike Tomlin is 26th best at 38 over

JABEE

Honestly if the NFC Final Four isn't Carolina, Arizona, Green Bay, and Seattle, it means something went horribly wrong. The NFC East winner and other wild card are guaranteed to be bad teams.
The Panthers won their shitty division last year. The Eagles deserve this!

Honestly if the NFC Final Four isn't Carolina, Arizona, Green Bay, and Seattle, it means something went horribly wrong. The NFC East winner and other wild card are guaranteed to be bad teams.

Last two teams with losing records to make the playoffs won their first game.

Crisco

Banned
Last two teams with losing records to make the playoffs won their first game.

To be fair, the Panthers would have easily lost that playoff game last year if the Cardinals had competent QB play. I think a backup QB starting for the other team is about the only way an NFC East team wins a playoff game.

He does, but not over Little Mac.

Mac won't win it though for reasons beyond his control. Most deserving player doesn't always win it though...
I'd like to see Mac win. I was listening to the radio on my way to class this morning, they were saying Henry might not be a lock. Mac still might have a chance

Pepiope

To be fair, the Panthers would have easily lost that playoff game last year if the Cardinals had competent QB play. I think a backup QB starting for the other team is about the only way an NFC East team wins a playoff game.
Eli in the playoffs is a different beast, he could win one in the playoffs. If the Eagles hit a stride, they could take one as well. It's any given Sunday, the best team doesn't always win. That's why we're 5-7.

Godslay

Banned
I'd like to see Mac win. I was listening to the radio on my way to class this morning, they were saying Henry might not be a lock. Mac still might have a chance

Radio in Denver saying he put up an amazing season but most of the games he plays in are too late for the east coasters. People voted early and most of his cumulative stuff just happened so early voters missed that. He's at a disadvantage because he doesn't get the exposure that the SEC provides.

It's an uphill climb, but maybe he'll luck out. Either way I won't be upset, as long as he comes home to play for Uncle Elway.

Radio in Denver saying he put up an amazing season but most of the games he plays in are too late for the east coasters. People voted early and most of his cumulative stuff just happened so early voters missed that. He's at a disadvantage because he doesn't get the exposure that the SEC provides.

It's an uphill climb, but maybe he'll luck out. Either way I won't be upset, as long as he comes home to play for Uncle Elway.

It just occurred to me that he might be related to beloved Bronco Ed McCaffrey

ampere

There's that, but didn't the Cardinals basically lose because of their punter averaging 20 yd punts?

There's that, but didn't the Cardinals basically lose because of their punter averaging 20 yd punts?

I hate trying to pin a loss down like this. Why was it because of the punter? Why not because the offense couldn't get touchdowns or into field goal range, negating the punter? It's like when people say "Well we would've won if our kicker didn't miss that chip shot" sure. But you also would've won if you didn't put yourself in the position where you needed to make that field goal to win.

There are a thousand different angles that contribute to a loss. Usually it comes down to your team didn't play as well as the other team. Which can happen any week to any team, regardless of how good they are supposed to be.

Crisco

Banned
I really wish the Panthers hadn't spent the last few season chasing big receivers to catch Cam's inaccurate passes. Instead we should have been chasing fast receivers who can actually catch his accurate ones. Ted Ginn Jr. would be leading all WRs in TDs if he had even average hands.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Where is Wienke? I haven't seen him in a while.

RIP Wienke

Long live Wienku

Try being a kid stuck on the SNES generation during the 3D era. That shit literally changed gaming tastes forever and lead to a 2D backlash that really didn't go away for 15 years.

I was pretty spoiled as a kid and had a PlayStation in 1995 before the console took off. I had a really hard time going back to SNES for a few years because of that. My love for PC gaming also really picked up around then with Red Alert.

I dunno, I see your point, but this gen kinda feels like we're finally at the 3D equivalent of the 16 bit era. The reason games started to age so much was because we had an entirely new control scheme/platform with 3D, and it was only really last gen that the methods for moving around in a 3D space got standardized. That's what makes the N64/PS2 eras age so poorly. It's similar to how NES games can feel outdated to play, while SNES games are still timeless. Because it was in that 16 bit era where we really nailed 2D game design standards, just like last gen was when we started to nail 3D design standards. Like you talk about games not aging, or imagine playing Super Mario Bros in 1991, but I missed the 16 bit generation due to my age, and only in the last year have started to go back and play the classics like Super Mario World. Those games hold up completely, and have stayed "current" longer than any more recent games. I approached games like SMW and LTTP roughly 20 years after they came out, and I don't have to qualify my love of them or their quality as "for their time". Those games are legitimately fantastic even by today's standards. I feel like this gen is going to be the 3D equivalent of that, where 10-20 years from now it'll still be easy to come back to these games.

3D design felt "done" to me in the early PS2 era. Once GTA 3 and Morrowind came out, that was basically it. Nintendo wasn't wrong when they said that gaming feels the same but with just shinier graphics.

I do think many of those PS2 games did not age very well because they still lacked some kind of polish I think. PS3 games were in HD or nearly HD so if they had PC ports, then with a few tweaks they can feel like PS4 games. Everything on PC is already a PS3 > PS4 port...which is probably why I came to my conclusion that, on PC anyway, stuff doesn't feel all that dated to me at all. So that's probably cheating a bit since I'm basically dialing the graphics knob up to 11 on all these 2010-2013 games.

Outside that, the jump from PS3 to PS4 has been extremely incremental and, outside of VR, I think that's how it'll be for another 20 years. If VR doesn't take off, innovation is pretty much done in video games which isn't all bad. What's disappointing is that graphics are starting to hit a wall due to the time and expense of creating games. As a little kid in the NES era, I was half expecting real life graphics by now but we still have a really really long way to go.

Supposedly NVIDIA is running into a lot of physics issues with improving graphical output in their cards but Pascal is supposed to be the end all be all (it won't be but it'll be nice).

Top Bottom