• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 6 |OT| - I'm tired of waiting.

MechDX

Texans waive Chandler Worthy WR. Damn O Brien is a fucking idiot

Maybe squicken is right and This franchise from McNair down is a complete joke and laughing stock.

CRNAPTHWgAAQeve.jpg

Crazy that he's 53 already...

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I mean all things considered, I'd rather have a guy who couldn't hack it in Kansas City versus a guy who couldn't hack it in Cleveland.

Who is dumb enough to get a quarterback that wasn't good in Cleveland?

Texans waive Chandler Worthy WR. Damn O Brien is a fucking idiot

Maybe squicken is right and This franchise from McNair down is a complete joke and laughing stock.
Sucks how we both went into this season with optimism and are now completely broken a handful of games in. :(

Godslay

Banned
Didn't realize there was a new thread...

Generally more data points is a good thing for predictive analytics. Yes, that even applies for preseason games. It just depends on how the model is built to incorporate that preseason data and how it eventually fades it out over the course of the season as the data becomes stale.

ELO is doing similar things in that it takes a prior season and uses that to some degree to build a foundation of a beginning rating for the current season. At least in the way 538 uses it. Teams can be wildly different from season to season, so does this make anymore sense then using preseason stats?

Really, using the preseason stats should build you a baseline of expected performance, and as more and more data is added to the model, the predictions should become more accurate. If they don't you probably have a flawed model or data that doesn't accurately reflect what is happening on the field. You have to start somewhere basically.

MechDX

I think I'm letting go of my Texans fan card. I'm going to be a fan of certain players: Watt, Russell and Tom and just enjoy football.

I can be a bastard hybrid of Squicken and Tabris.

squicken

All you need to see is the eagles at 4. I'm an eagles fan but were not a top 16 team right now let alone 4.

4 is too high. I am not saying the Eagles are good. This is why the stats like Philly

-Lost on road to good not great Atlanta in a game decided by placekicking (this matters)

-Ugly loss to Dallas but defense played well (by EPA)

-Beat Jets on the road by 7 with NYJ getting late/meaningless scores (this matters)

-Loss to average WAS team on final play. Placekicking again an issue but not explanative.

-Beat bad NOLA team soundly. Good teams beat bad teams by lots of points

SRS has Philly as 10th best team. These systems seek to be predictive. What's the point of a system that tells you what already happened? And if they are wrong? Hopefully smart people working on them make them better.

The understanding of placekicking has been huge. Football teams are basically 52 (or 43) players playing against an opponent, and 1 guy trying to beat par. The measurement is even more exact than batter vs pitcher

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
One guy doing every thread all season is a lot to ask. I seriously considered making a new thread myself and the entirety of the OP being just "football".

Even my boy Bucket didn't do it every week I think.

The thread title should have been something about Brady selling a fraud product but that's just me.

i'd be happy to do the threads and I have the time and photoshop to do things, just need the writing and quips from someone else.

I think I'm letting go of my Texans fan card. I'm going to be a fan of certain players: Watt, Russell and Tom and just enjoy football.

I can be a bastard hybrid of Squicken and Tabris.
Serious question, do you really like Tom or do you just say that to mess with us?

gutshot

Didn't realize there was a new thread...

Generally more data points is a good thing for predictive analytics. Yes, that even applies for preseason games. It just depends on how the model is built to incorporate that preseason data and how it eventually fades it out over the course of the season as the data becomes stale.

ELO is doing similar things in that it takes a prior season and uses that to some degree to build a foundation of a beginning rating for the current season. At least in the way 538 uses it. Teams can be wildly different from season to season, so does this make anymore sense then using preseason stats?

Really, using the preseason stats should build you a baseline of expected performance, and as more and more data is added to the model, the predictions should become more accurate. If they don't you probably have a flawed model or data that doesn't accurately reflect what is happening on the field. You have to start somewhere basically.

Good post. And I agree that more data is better than less data. However, it definitely feels like FPI is weighing preseason "success" much heavier than they should be. Remember that following the preseason, the Eagles were a trendy Super Bowl pick and that seems to be reflected in FPI ranking the Eagles as the 4th best team in the league.

FO and ELO have the Eagles in the 12-15 range, which seems more reasonable.

ATL @ NO - No contest.

CIN @ BUF - Red Rifle goes hunting.
DEN @ CLE - Noddle arm gets bailed out again.
CHI @ DET - Really, who fucking cares? Trash game of the week.
HOU @ JAC - They can beat the Jags, right? *chug chug chug*
KC @ MIN - Minny is the better team.
MIA @ TEN - Miami is just bad.
WAS @ NYJ - Kirk gets Fitzmagic'd.
ARI @ PIT - Cardinals keep rolling.

CAR @ SEA - It's a toss up, really.
BAL @ SF - The failed Jersey Shore charter that coaches the 49ers gets punk'd again.
SD @ GB - Can't go against GB at home.

NE @ IND - Murder of the week.

NYG @ PHI - Bradford is no Eli.

MechDX

Serious question, do you really like Tom or do you just say that to mess with us?

Been saying it a few years now: even with his faults he is the best QB of this generation

I put Rodgers as a bridge from Brady/Manning era to the next Luck/Wilson/Tannehill. Currently the best at the position

Edit: also add I quit hardcore fandom on Hoyers birthday. Fitting

squicken

its like when you fuck your cousin, but a squirrel fucks a chicken, all inbreeding

That was the way the name came up. My college roommate had flash cards all over his room about the evolution of various species. I used to joke with him he was wasting his time. If evolution were real, given enough time, we'd see cool and useful genetic variants like tigers with flippers and a chicken with a squirrel's tail. When I had to create my online ID for Quake 3, that was the name I thought of

Been saying it a few years now: even with his faults he is the best QB of this generation

I put Rodgers as a bridge from Brady/Manning era to the next Luck/Wilson/Tannehill. Currently the best at the position

Edit: also add I quit hardcore fandom on Hoyers birthday. Fitting
Talk of evil and cheating aside Tom is a hell of a QB. I remember watching that offense in '07 and just feeling like there was almost literally no way they could be stopped. Just a well oiled machine that performed at a high level regardless of what your defense was or wasn't doing.

Honestly this season feels similar but with a slightly different system (the same one we saw last year). Brute efficiency is the best way I can describe it.

I hate the Patriots with every fiber of my being but Belichick is an incredible HC and Brady is one of the best QBs of all time. All that being said, I still think Rodgers is the best in the game currently in terms of talent.

That was the way the name came up. My college roommate had flash cards all over his room about the evolution of various species. I used to joke with him he was wasting his time. If evolution were real, given enough time, we'd see cool and useful genetic variants like tigers with flippers and a chicken with a squirrel's tail. When I had to create my online ID for Quake 3, that was the name I thought of
This... is an incredible story. Thank you for sharing!

jakncoke

Banned

I think youve told this a couple times in your day, but the more the know the funnier lol

Top Bottom