• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Wild Card |OT| - A Fraud Goes Wild

squicken

Mike Pettine and Lovie Smith. Defensive coach and the defense gets worse? Get fired

e: Bradley and Pagano kept their jobs and probably should not have

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Lavonte David ‏@LavonteDavid54 2m2 minutes ago

This is stupid, we can't even have a consistent coach, 3 coaches in 5 yrs

eznark

Banned
Mike Pettine and Lovie Smith. Defensive coach and the defense gets worse? Get fired

0976897001442765249_filepicker.jpg

Koetter took the 30th ranked O, started 3 rookies including a QB, lost his TE, 2nd and 3rd WRs for most of the year and still made the top 5. He deserves the promotion before he bolts. Lovie's D has been absolutely horrid and that's his "thing". I wonder who they bring in because I'm not sure many of our guys fit a scheme change to a 3-4.

effzee

I never got the impression that Koetter was such a hot commodity. I could be wrong but after Doug Marone, the last candidate I wanted the Eagles to consider or hire was Koetter.

To me it seems like the D never got better and with the development of Winston they figured they need an offensive mind to lead the team to further develop him. Someone like Hue, Gase, or Koetter himself.

Why would Gase want the Eagles job? Howie in the owners ear and no QB. Unless he has the green light to blow up the roster and assurance from Lurie to give him to do it

Gase would want the job cause A. Eagles probably willing to spend money on him and in FA (if needed), B. despite Howie, Lurie and the organization are generally considered class, C. besides QB roster has some real potential and if they told him they would do everything possible to get Oz or re-sign Bradford he might find that prospect exciting.

Who knows really. Especially now with TB open - might be the best opening considering the talent at QB.

9th pick, Jameis and Mike Evans. Best job opening for an offensive minded coach, depending on what is going on in the front office.

Maybe Lovie paid for Van Gaal's sins

Wasn't Mike Evans rumored to be up for trade or having issues with Winston questioning his work ethic?

squicken

Koetter took the 30th ranked O, started 3 rookies including a QB, lost his TE, 2nd and 3rd WRs for most of the year and still made the top 5. He deserves the promotion before he bolts. Lovie's D has been absolutely horrid and that's his "thing". I wonder who they bring in because I'm not sure many of our guys fit a scheme change to a 3-4.

The thing I wonder about is how does it play in the locker room if he gets the job? It's not like he fired Lovie, but his possible leaving would be the reason for Lovie being gone. Kind of like Mike Martz and Dick Vermeil, though Vermeil retired

e: Evans is incredibly immature, but he's also only 22 and just completed his second NFL season. It'd be insane to trade him

KingBroly

Banned
The thing I wonder about is how does it play in the locker room if he gets the job? It's not like he fired Lovie, but his possible leaving would be the reason for Lovie being gone. Kind of like Mike Martz and Dick Vermeil, though Vermeil retired

And then...what if he doesn't get the job?

Seems like a really rash decision here.

effzee

Forgot to mention Chip to TB.

His offense with that QB, RB, and WR set up would be killer. Indy never opened up and Kaep is Kaep so this might be his best opportunity.

This is def a move more to grab (or retain Koetter) one of the better offensive minded coaches rather than an indictment on Lovie.

I wonder what Lovie does now.

They hired youngry Raheem to keep him from leaving and pulled the plug on Chucky. It's not unprecedented.

KingBroly

Banned
Forgot to mention Chip to TB.

His offense with that QB, RB, and WR set up would be killer. Indy never opened up and Kaep is Kaep so this might be his best opportunity.

This is def a move more to grab (or retain Koetter) one of the better offensive minded coaches rather than an indictment on Lovie.

I wonder what Lovie does now.

Chip wants power. In Tampa you see a quick trigger finger. Not somewhere he'd want to go.

effzee

Chip wants power. In Tampa you see a quick trigger finger. Not somewhere he'd want to go.

Chip doesn't necessaly want power.

When he came to Philly he didn't have power but was allowed to bring his own personal man in Tom Gamble. Once he realized how Howie ran things and how dysfunctional the FO was he started vying for power which led to the dismissal of Gamble which then led Chip telling Lurie he either gets control or he leaves.

I doubt any team would be willing to give him control off of this past season and if a competent GM is in place, I doubt Chip cares as much.

Problem in Philly is that Howie comes from a non-football background and is an accountant/lawyer by training. It has been well documented that he is always paranoid and worried about traditional football scouts/GM/personnel guys taking over his duties.

That is why the Eagles FO has been dysfunctional and has seen talented guys like Chip, Gamble, Ross, Licht, Riddick, and Banner fired.

squicken

I like that look at it, effzee. I have always thought the narrative that Chip made a power grab was off. He either had to live with Howie or take control. Better to bet on himself than Howie

Everyone just assumed Lovie's job was safe because of Winston, but I wonder if Winston had a say in his firing

Jameis' comments after the season ended didn't help Lovie, for sure. But the timing of this is odd, give that the other coaches didn't know this was coming. Something must have happened.

Chip doesn't necessaly want power.

When he came to Philly he didn't have power but was allowed to bring his own personal man in Tom Gamble. Once he realized how Howie ran things and how dysfunctional the FO was he started vying for power which led to the dismissal of Gamble which then led Chip telling Lurie he either gets control or he leaves.

I doubt any team would be willing to give him control off of this past season and if a competent GM is in place, I doubt Chip cares as much.

Problem in Philly is that Howie comes from a non-football background and is an accountant/lawyer by training. It has been well documented that he is always paranoid and worried about traditional football scouts/GM/personnel guys taking over his duties.

That is why the Eagles FO has been dysfunctional and has seen talented guys like Chip, Gamble, Ross, Licht, Riddick, and Banner fired.

Me thinks you're oversimplifying things.

Top Bottom