• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Wild Card |OT| - A Fraud Goes Wild

Why does Jeff Fisher gets to keep his job for so long?

Heard a stat that Fisher is one of like 2 coaches in NFL history to coach a team for 5 years, while the previous 4 were losing seasons. The other coach was some guy from like the 60s or something.

There's a couple things:
- Fisher sucks yet his teams have very low expectations
- They always seem to be breaking through "the next season"*
- FIsher has always had very good media relationships, some of which other media outside of his cities criticize him for having fishy relationships with news/press people.

* Regarding point #2... The NFC West has had pretty remarkably turnover season after season in terms of the dominant team, and yet, Fisher's Rams have been the only team to not move up, being the 4 or 3 team each of his seasons. When Fisher joined STL, San Fran was the dominant team in the division (13-3), while Seattle was the plucky upstart (7-9) while Arizona was the doormat, and St. Louis was just above doormat status. San Francisco rises up, then starts to slip, while Seattle then rises up to be the best team. St. Louis stays at the bottom. San Francisco drops meteorically, and Arizona suddenly takes over as the #2, while Seattle dominates at #1. St. Louis hovers around #3 and #4. This season, San Fran is doormat status, Seattle slips down to #2, and Arizona claims the top spot..... Meanwhile, St. Louis maintains their #3 status.

It's crazy how in the 4 years Fisher has been in STL, the division has been led by every team in the division EXCEPT the Rams, and the Rams have generally 6-10-, 7-9 each season... Not enough to be the doormat, but still plenty bad to lose to bad teams, somehow upset the #1 team once in a while, and be out of the playoff picture by Week 10.

And yet, Fisher keeps his job.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
All the players hated Chip, but it was the gm's fault...

I only give Kelly a head job if I'm in total rebuild mode so he can bring in players he can relate with. I'm looking at you, Jed York.

e-

Of course you say this completely bias free right that he coaches the winner of the division. Right Chuck?

I think Hue's getting a gig, regardless. He'll just fail in the Cleve, because it's the Cleve. Give the man some hope!

effzee

Me thinks you're oversimplifying things.

How?

Chip was fine without control for the first 2 seasons.

Minute Gamble is fired (due to not getting along with Howie), rumors surface that Chip might be leaving. Instead in a complete shock Chip and Lurie meet which results in Chip taking over the FO. Pretty clear what happened - Chip gave an ultimatum and Lurie panicked.

Howie won out in the end. No matter if the Eagles win or lose, Howie always wins out.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Didn't win the Powerball. Gaf survives another day.

I matched the powerball.

q0R656l.jpg

These are the first three rounds of draft picks in the two drafts since Lovie was hired:

WR, TE, RB
QB, OT, G

Kinda hard to shit on him too much for the defense not getting a whole lot better

effzee

All the players hated Chip, but it was the gm's fault...

I only give Kelly a head job if I'm in total rebuild mode so he can bring in players he can relate with. I'm looking at you, Jed York.

Except they didn't. Tons of players on the Eagles have come out in support and blamed themselves or mentioned how Chip was open to them.

Plus as much shit LeSean and DeSean might want to talk now, both were pissed when they learned they were cut or traded. They didn't want to leave. Chip probably got on people's nerves cause he seemed to want to be Belichick but at the same time the narrative that all the players disliked him just isn't true.

And as my other posts highlights, problems with Howie predate Chip. Its documented that even during the 2013 coaching search plenty of candidates (Chip included the first time around) were turned off by having to work with Howie.

Mindlog

Lavonte David ‏@LavonteDavid54 2m2 minutes ago

This is stupid, we can't even have a consistent coach, 3 coaches in 5 yrs
Can't say I disagree with him, but that doesn't mean I agree with him.
Turning around this franchise was never going to be quick. The D is missing a lot of talent, but it's also missing a decided schematic advantage. The O-line can also be spotty, but we still had one of the top backs in the league and a solid rookie QB season statically.

All that aside my biggest concern is, 'Who will replace Lovie?' We're late to the coach hunt in a season of so many vacancies. The job is somewhat appealing given all the pieces in place, but still. I don't think another season of Lovie would have been the worst thing. Maybe it comes down to the staff being unable to reel in the penalties this season as a sign of lack of progress.

Old, but related?
TAMPA — If quarterback Jameis Winston says the Tampa Bay Buccaneers don’t have enough players who care about winning, then they probably don’t.

That was coach Lovie Smith’s assessment of comments Winston made just minutes after the Bucs ended their season with a 38-10 loss to the Panthers in Charlotte on Sunday.

“If he said that, there’s probably a whole lot of truth to it,’’ Smith said Monday at One Buc Place during his final news conference for the 2015 season.
With whom does the fault lay?
These are the first three rounds of draft picks in the two drafts since Lovie was hired:

WR, TE, RB
QB, OT, G

Kinda hard to shit on him too much for the defense not getting a whole lot better
Agreed. This was supposed to be the year we could finally start drafting D. The franchise still needs to do that anyway.

effzee

Heard a stat that Fisher is one of like 2 coaches in NFL history to coach a team for 5 years, while the previous 4 were losing seasons. The other coach was some guy from like the 60s or something.

There's a couple things:
- Fisher sucks yet his teams have very low expectations
- They always seem to be breaking through "the next season"*
- FIsher has always had very good media relationships, some of which other media outside of his cities criticize him for having fishy relationships with news/press people.

* Regarding point #2... The NFC West has had pretty remarkably turnover season after season in terms of the dominant team, and yet, Fisher's Rams have been the only team to not move up, being the 4 or 3 team each of his seasons. When Fisher joined STL, San Fran was the dominant team in the division (13-3), while Seattle was the plucky upstart (7-9) while Arizona was the doormat, and St. Louis was just above doormat status. San Francisco rises up, then starts to slip, while Seattle then rises up to be the best team. St. Louis stays at the bottom. San Francisco drops meteorically, and Arizona suddenly takes over as the #2, while Seattle dominates at #1. St. Louis hovers around #3 and #4. This season, San Fran is doormat status, Seattle slips down to #2, and Arizona claims the top spot..... Meanwhile, St. Louis maintains their #3 status.

It's crazy how in the 4 years Fisher has been in STL, the division has been led by every team in the division EXCEPT the Rams, and the Rams have generally 6-10-, 7-9 each season... Not enough to be the doormat, but still plenty bad to lose to bad teams, somehow upset the #1 team once in a while, and be out of the playoff picture by Week 10.

And yet, Fisher keeps his job.

Plus he wins trades. He sure ripped off the Eagles and Redskins before that! Look how far that has taken the team! All the way to LA!

Except they didn't. Tons of players on the Eagles have come out in support and blamed themselves or mentioned how Chip was open to them.

Plus as much shit LeSean and DeSean might want to talk now, both were pissed when they learned they were cut or traded. They didn't want to leave. Chip probably got on people's nerves cause he seemed to want to be Belichick but at the same time the narrative that all the players disliked him just isn't true.

And as my other posts highlights, problems with Howie predate Chip. Its documented that even during the 2013 coaching search plenty of candidates (Chip included the first time around) were turned off by having to work with Howie.

FrequentAromaticAmericanshorthair.gif

I think Hue's getting a gig, regardless. He'll just fail in the Cleve, because it's the Cleve. Give the man some hope!

I agree with you and relax.. He's not coaching in the Cleve.. We are going to steal Bread's defensive coordinator I think or.... Sweet Jesus.. Going to get the Revolutionary Racist.

effzee

So where does Lovie rank in the list of available coaches? I would think highly but he was OOF for a year right after getting fired at 10-6..

More and more the NFL is trending offense so I doubt high. I mean younger guys like Sean McDermott who have done more and proven more are ranked below guys like Gase because teams want to catch the next great offensive mind.

Lovie's best bet is to go into TV or if he wants to coach, to become a d-coordinator.

Feel bad for the guy.

MechDX

Charles RobinsonVerified account
‏@CharlesRobinson
During season, I had a trusted source insist that if #Texans fired Bill O'Brien, #Buccaneers' Licht would consider replacing Lovie with him.

Interesting.

Just need a QB....

This guy -_-
Scott Taylor ‏ @ ScottTaylorTV 4m 4 minutes ago
Just discovered Johnny Manziel was cited 4 driving with expired plates in North Olmsted, Ohio at 8:28 am on January 2nd.

Where is Thad Lewis #9 ? #TL9

effzee

wouldn't be a big deal without all the other stuff. I really don't think he ever plays a down in the NFL again. I wonder why we haven't had Pettine and Farmer start airing out the laundry yet?

I can still see Dallas giving him a shot.

Jerry wanted to draft him but his son didn't. Now he can have him for pennies and market it even though Romo will remain starter for another 2-3 seasons.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I can still see Dallas giving him a shot.

Jerry wanted to draft him but his son didn't. Now he can have him for pennies and market it even though Romo will remain starter for another 2-3 seasons.

2-3 seasons? I just hope Romo can play for another 3 months.

wouldn't be a big deal without all the other stuff. I really don't think he ever plays a down in the NFL again. I wonder why we haven't had Pettine and Farmer start airing out the laundry yet?
The funny thing about pettine and Farmer is that they left pretty calmly, they much put out statements that were pretty positive.

I'm holding out hope for a trade when the league year starts
Well.. Let's see if we ruin Goff..

Really wish we would have gotten Joey..
I've always liked Goff but I see you gave up on Lynch? I think it'll be a interesting battle between the two this offseason. I'm not letting the Memphis bowl game deter me from him. I want to see it all play out this offseason
Wait I thought Billy was in Vegas on Saturday? So he was actually in Ohio the whole time?

Seriously though its a $125 traffic citation, who gives a shit
This happened in the morning. Leaves time to be in Vegas at night. He was reported to be in Ohio at some point Saturday. Alone not a big deal, but with everything else? Just bad decisions

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That Tampa job has Tom Coughlin written all over it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I dont even understand why you would fire Lovie, he's working with a rookie QB, what do you expect?

Fox318

John Fox is the most weak ass coach in football. He sucks and his teams won't win. He gets a pass because people think he made chicken salad out of chicken shit with Tebow and that he made the pa,there look good for 1 season.

Tomlin inst a coach. He's a press secretary.

effzee

Garrett got to the Divisional round last year....it's not that surprising and was a BS call away from the NFCC

An outlier? Garrett / Cowboys have been .500 over the past decade +

Garrett gets to keep his job mainly cause he doesn't clash with Jerry. Fisher I have no clue.

If owners are going to be so quick to fire decent-good coaches, then it really makes no sense why shit coaches get to keep their jobs. Rex should also be fired.

Line_HTX

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith 59m59 minutes ago

Lovie Smith was early frontrunner for #Texans' job after Gary Kubiak was fired. Bill O'Brien's team hosting a playoff game two years later.

John Fox is the most weak ass coach in football. He sucks and his teams won't win. He gets a pass because people think he made chicken salad out of chicken shit with Tebow and that he made the pa,there look good for 1 season.

Tomlin inst a coach. He's a press secretary.

I agree with everything you said about John Fox.
Don't know why people think he is an exceptional coach. Dude gets out coached on a regular basis.

effzee

I dont even understand why you would fire Lovie, he's working with a rookie QB, what do you expect?

They didn't really fire for the job he didn't do but because they want either Koetter or one of the other available offensive minded coaches to lead Winston to the next level.

Defenses coaches are on their way out as head coaches.

Fox318

Fox please explain your insane hatred for Tomlin?
Every time I have a fantasy player and am forced to watch steeler games I feel like I'm am going to lose my shit.

None of the playcalling ever makes any sense with him and everybody treats him like the second coming of Vince Lombardi.

He's essentially Rex Ryan with a better QB and a fantastic owner. He's a coach that gets along with the media because he has the sound of a movie coach but in actuality his teams lose games they should be prepared fo4 and they get exposed way too often. Ben is a fucking god for how he has held that team together.

Top Bottom