• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Wild Card |OT| - A Fraud Goes Wild

squicken

Every time I have a fantasy player and am forced to watch steeler games I feel like I'm am going to lose my shit.

None of the playcalling ever makes any sense with him and everybody treats him like the second coming of Vince Lombardi.

He's essentially Rex Ryan with a better QB and a fantastic owner. He's a coach that gets along with the media because he has the sound of a movie coach but in actuality his teams lose games they should be prepared fo4 and they get exposed way too often. Ben is a fucking god for how he has held that team together.

Scott Kacsmar is a big Steelers fan and he has a lot of stuff about Tomlin losing way too many games against bad teams given how good his QB is. So your complaint is one even lots of Steelers fans have

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith 59m59 minutes ago

Lovie Smith was early frontrunner for #Texans' job after Gary Kubiak was fired. Bill O'Brien's team hosting a playoff game two years later.
Seems to have left some critical info out there. .
Every time I have a fantasy player and am forced to watch steeler games I feel like I'm am going to lose my shit.

None of the playcalling ever makes any sense with him and everybody treats him like the second coming of Vince Lombardi.

He's essentially Rex Ryan with a better QB and a fantastic owner. He's a coach that gets along with the media because he has the sound of a movie coach but in actuality his teams lose games they should be prepared fo4 and they get exposed way too often. Ben is a fucking god for how he has held that team together.

Fantasy garbage. It all makes sense now.

Garrett isn't great but Linehan and Marinelli are. I'd rather not blow it up when there is a lot of promise. They players seem to be bought in and motivated.

Drakeon

Example A: Losing to Ryan Mallet who joined the Ravens the week of/week before he played the Steelers. No excuse for losing that game, well coached teams don't do that. And the Steelers do it consistently every single year.

An outlier? Garrett / Cowboys have been .500 over the past decade +

Garrett gets to keep his job mainly cause he doesn't clash with Jerry. Fisher I have no clue.

If owners are going to be so quick to fire decent-good coaches, then it really makes no sense why shit coaches get to keep their jobs. Rex should also be fired.

That too, but Jerry has always thought the team was "on the cusp" and doesn't want to stir shit up, even he said as much after Garretts third year, he hired a bunch of coordinators instead. They go 12-4 after that and then lose Romo the following year so JJ has completely bought into what he's doing and I'm sure he really believes they were a QB away from making a deep run into the playoffs this year so he's going to leave the staff as is.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
LionsGAF loses Calvin and PD in the same week?

Yeesh. Bad week.

Real talk, the PD news has me catching feelings more than the Megatron news. =/ One way or another the Lions will move on and have some sort of relevancy as long as Matthew Stafford is the Quarterback of the team. PhoenixDark can't be replaced, I hope cooler heads prevail and it's not a perm.

As for Megatron if he decides to retire and it's in his personal best interest, health wise, then let the man retire. At least he's not letting the Lions know he may retire unlike Barry Sanders who let the Lions know right before training camp started. Though in Barry's defense times were different back then.

Reading on Rashean Mathis saying "plans to play with Lions in 2016 or retire," you can read between the lines in one quote from two days ago.

"There's a lot that has to be decided within this organization," Mathis said. "I'm sure for a lot of guys, their careers are in that deciding factor and you never know how the cookie is going to crumble so you have to just see if it does, are you part of the pieces?"

But he said what the Lions decide to do with head coach Jim Caldwell will be a contributing factor.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/01/04/detroit-lions-rashean-mathis/78281076/

From Matthew Stafford's comments on wanting Coach Caldwell and Coach Cooter to return to a slew of Lions players passionately saying they want Coach Caldwell to return, that will be probably one of the main factors in Megatron playing again.

If the Lions fire Coach Caldwell and Coach Cooter and we have a new offensive playbook and system in place, I wouldn't blame Megatron for wanting to retire because the franchise is essentially sending the message that we're going into rebuilding mode.

Megatron also said a few days before this announcement and I'm paraphrasing because I can't find the quote: "The Lions are right there in contention it's a matter of continuity", or something along those lines.

I think that statement essentially told the Lions if we get a new HC and playbook it's time to hang up the cleats.

Fox318

For the record Coughlin did the same type of shit tomlin does.

Shit clock managment for an example.

Like the giants game against the patriots where they had Eli throw bombs instead of trying to run the clock down.

They may have gotten a touchdown but they lost the game because they let brady get the ball back.

MechDX

Example A: Losing to Ryan Mallet who joined the Ravens the week of/week before he played the Steelers. No excuse for losing that game, well coached teams don't do that. And the Steelers do it consistently every single year.

This raises a question: how many coaches in this league are are considered "good to great" but only get that recognition because they have a franchise QB?

bionic77

I complain about Tomlin every year but some of your posts act like he raped your sister when in actuality he is a shitty gameday coach but a above average Monday to Saturday coach.

And I don't hate on him for having Ben bail his ass out as often as he does. No one can win in the NFL in todays game without a good qb. It was possible in the past but with the new rules you can't win with just defense anymore.

Instead of hating on Tomlin who is by far the best looking coach in maybe any sport to win a championship, please be rational and focus on the Patriots. You of all people should know that they are the real enemy.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Teams lose games they "shouldnt lose" all the time. Thats why they play the games there is no such thing as a game where someone is a 95% favorite to win. Even the Patriots lose games they "should win". Plenty of those this year.

Big Ben missed a month this season and they still made the playoffs. Tomlin takes a lot of shit but he did a good job this season.

Zee-Row

Banned
Gerald McCoy blocked me on Twitter

CYF1LvwWkAE21Wq.jpg:large

I complain about Tomlin every year but some of your posts act like he raped your sister when in actuality he is a shitty gameday coach but a above average Monday to Saturday coach.

And I don't hate on him for having Ben bail his ass out as often as he does. No one can win in the NFL in todays game without a good qb. It was possible in the past but with the new rules you can't win with just defense anymore.

Instead of hating on Tomlin who is by far the best looking coach in maybe any sport to win a championship, please be rational and focus on the Patriots. You of all people should know that they are the real enemy.

bold claim, sir.

That was payback for Charlie Batch beating us

Garrett isn't great but Linehan and Marinelli are. I'd rather not blow it up when there is a lot of promise. They players seem to be bought in and motivated.

I wouldn't have minded this approach in Miami if they get a first time HC and hire some really good coordinators, problem is finding the good ones that want to work with a new HC, most coordinators will follow their connections.

Drakeon

Teams lose games they "shouldnt lose" all the time. Thats why they play the games there is no such thing as a game where someone is a 95% favorite to win. Even the Patriots lose games they "should win". Plenty of those this year.

Big Ben missed a month this season and they still made the playoffs. Tomlin takes a lot of shit but he did a good job this season.

No, not like the Steelers they don't. The Steelers do this every year, they miss the playoffs when they should make it some years because they just get out coached.

Does no one remember "We will unleash hell in December"? (I think they went on to lose 3 or possibly all 4 games in December) This is a consistent pattern with the Steelers that simply doesn't happen with better coached teams (Carroll, Arians, Belicheck, either Harbaugh).

bionic77

I will say this the coach I hated the most was John Tortorella and the people that buy into his fucking Bullshit.
WTF?

You are a Jets fan. A team that plays in the same division in the Pats.

Everything you say is wrong!

Cmon Fox! You can do better than this!

Fox318

WTF?

You are a Jets fan. A team that plays in the same division in the Pats.

Everything you say is wrong!

Cmon Fox! You can do better than this!
I hate belicheat but torts was on another level.

I swear to god watching him manage lines and fucking think everyone had to be like Callahan was ulser inducing.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Explain O'Brien

Black

bob.0.png

No, not like the Steelers they don't. The Steelers do this every year, they miss the playoffs when they should make it some years because they just get out coached.

Does no one remember "We will unleash hell in December"? (I think they went on to lose 3 or possibly all 4 games in December) This is a consistent pattern with the Steelers that simply doesn't happen with better coached teams (Carroll, Arians, Belicheck, either Harbaugh).

It was 2. The Steelers are 23-7 in December since that fateful day.

Mindlog

Tortalone can do whatever the fuck he wants. Such is the right of someone takes the cup to Florida. That's the biggest F-U one can give.

Drakeon

Black

bob.0.png

It was 2. The Steelers are 23-7 in December since that fateful day.

Am I really that off base? Do Steelers fans not feel that Tomlin doesn't lose several games a year he should win? Perhaps I'm overstating it, but Tomlin just doesn't strike me as being on that upper echelon of Coaches and I see him make dumb mistakes (stepping on the field last year and getting that penalty immediately comes to mind) what seems like all the time. I also do not go out of my way to watch all 16 Steelers games, so I admit I could be overstating things.

Am I really that off base? Do Steelers fans not feel that Tomlin doesn't lose several games a year he should win?

They do, it's just...they still make playoffs pretty consistently.

Do you think Marvin Lewis should be fired? He's never going to stop making the playoffs, but he's also never going to win a playoff game. By definition, he'll never progress

Fox318

Do you think Marvin Lewis should be fired? He's never going to stop making the playoffs, but he's also never going to win a playoff game. By definition, he'll never progress
You could have made a case for Marvin not too long ago but honestly he gets along with the owner and brown may be the cheapest in the nfl.

I mean the things I hear about their scouting department sound nuts.

Drakeon

If they go 1 and done in the playoffs again? Absolutely. He's a slightly better Jeff Fisher at this point. It's coach purgatory is what it is, he's good enough to get you to the playoffs, but boy are you really really unlikely to ever actually win a playoff game let alone even make the Owl.

Am I really that off base? Do Steelers fans not feel that Tomlin doesn't lose several games a year he should win? Perhaps I'm overstating it, but Tomlin just doesn't strike me as being on that upper echelon of Coaches and I see him make dumb mistakes (stepping on the field last year and getting that penalty immediately comes to mind) what seems like all the time. I also do not go out of my way to watch all 16 Steelers games, so I admit I could be overstating things.
First, that happened 3 years ago.

Second, care to point to the coach that doesn't lose games they should win? Chiefs stomped the Pats last year, Rams own the Seahawks, Green Bay went 15-1 then got bounced in the first round.

Drakeon

First, that happened 3 years ago.

Second, care to point to the coach that doesn't lose games they should win? Chiefs stomped the Pats last year, Rams own the Seahawks, Green Bay went 15-1 then got bounced in the first round.

Look, I felt it was more pronounced with Tomlin, but I don't watch all 16 Steelers games every year, so if you guys want to defend him, I'll drop it.

Top Bottom