• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT| A Fraud Needs A Place To Crash, FreemanCorp: LiveMas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinluck

Looks like we're letting go of Trent Cole and Old Man Johnson.

The team suddenly just got 20yrs younger. After Dorsett there is no depth at WR. Probably gonna sign someone else.

DHB, Nicks, and Johnson all sucked fuck. Grigson still cannot find that FA WR that makes an impact. TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett are a solid 3. But they play a little too soft for my taste. I think we draft another guy late in the draft... Or in the first round lmao.

Zeke will look good in the horseshoe.

Crisco

Banned
Yeah, fair enough. You would know your team better than I. Still, I do understand the vagrancies of the NFC South. I think Carolina will make it back, but I wouldn't be necessarily surprised if they don't.

If we avoid major injuries and get over the Super Bowl hangover, this team should easily be the class of the division again. None of the others are catching up to our overall talent and depth in one offseason, and we're getting KB back. I could see us signing one impact free agent this offseason, either in the secondary or along the defensive line, and maybe trading up to get an impact player at a position of need. Green Bay is probably the team I fear the most in the NFC, they have a great young defense and Rodgers should be back with a vengeance next year.

Farooq

Banned
Looks like we're letting go of Trent Cole and Old Man Johnson.

The team suddenly just got 20yrs younger. After Dorsett there is no depth at WR. Probably gonna sign someone else.

DHB, Nicks, and Johnson all sucked fuck. Grigson still cannot find that FA WR that makes an impact. TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett are a solid 3. But they play a little too soft for my taste. I think we draft another guy late in the draft... Or in the first round lmao.

Zeke will look good in the horseshoe.

There are like 7 guys the Colts could take at receiver in the second round. Treadwell is the top guy obviously and he might drop to 18. But after that Cooper, Coleman, Thomas, Doctson, Higgins, and Boyd all could go in the second round. I don't know if second round is too high for you.

Edit: Actually second round is a bit too high for Miller.

still torn between divinity and Diablo, I know different kinds of games. Floy if you and Chris are getting Diablo I might do that. Never played one before, also not sure how well my mic will work today. I have a pair of Beats and I've had some troubles playing with ppl

still torn between divinity and Diablo, I know different kinds of games. Floy if you and Chris are getting Diablo I might do that. Never played one before, also not sure how well my mic will work today. I have a pair of Beats and I've had some troubles playing with ppl

I already am starting the download. Although it say it will take 3 freaking hours because my brother is playing Smite on the XBONE. So I'm hoping it will be finished in a bit.

And I may get to hear your voice? I just imagined it sounded like Drake.

I just.. I don't understand...

yeah I'll buy when I get home, do you have me on PSN?

Tom Penny

Diablo is really fun progressing in groups and hearing the unique drop sounds. Plus in a group you can give each other stuff.

It's a shame that players don't care about winning championships anymore.

Enjoy your flash in the pan, Seahawks! It's only a matter of time before you revert to the mean.

Cowboys stack dynasties. Second most valuable sports franchise in the world. The league wants us to succeed. The networks want us to succeed. America wants us to succeed!

Good read on what Ex-Dolphin players are dealing with knowing they might have CTE, pretty sad stuff. When I was watching the web series on the Dolphins 50 year history I couldn't help but think how hard it might have been for some of these dudes to talk about stuff that happened 40 years ago, I was surprised many of them managed to get on and talk about it.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2016/02/more-former-dolphins-having-cognitive-problems-mark-richt-implements-new-rules-heat-chatter-quantita.html

FRIDAY BUZZ COLUMN

Amid recent news that Earl Morrall had a confirmed case of a degenerative brain disease that has been linked to the type of jarring hits prevalent in football, other former Dolphins are suffering with cognitive issues, wondering whether the game they loved left them with irreversible brain damage.

Morrall’s family told The New York Times last week that the former quarterback had the most advanced stage of CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy) when he died in 2014.

Meanwhile, ex-Dolphins All-Pro defensive end Bill Stanfill said by phone Thursday he has been diagnosed with frontal lobe damage in his brain, while former All-Pro receiver Mark Duper said this week that he believes he has CTE after being diagnosed with symptoms in 2013.

“It’s all very sobering,” former standout defensive lineman Manny Fernandez said.

Many scientists attribute CTE to repetitive brain injuries and consider it a cause of dementia and memory loss. A definitive diagnosis is possible only after an autopsy, but efforts are being made to diagnose it in the living.

Fernandez said this week that four members of 1972 Dolphins have cognitive issues but understandably declined to identify them. Former star safety Dick Anderson said two of those four require assistance, though Anderson and Fernandez note it’s impossible to know whether those four have CTE, Alzheimer’s Disease or advanced dementia.

Fernandez said another ’72 Dolphins player called him last week, spooked by the Morrall news.

“I’ve talked to a half dozen teammates over the last two years [about cognitive difficulties],” Fernandez said. “Quite a few are having issues. Quite a few have been tested.”

Last November, Fernandez, 69, left his home north of Albany, Ga., to drive to South Florida for a funeral. Two and half hours later, he realized he had left his suit and garment bag at home.

Though he said, “I’m not the first person to forget pre-packed clothes,” that incident gave Fernandez impetus to get neuropsychology testing. That testing, which is still ongoing, doesn’t diagnose CTE but can detect symptoms.

“It sure as hell made me want to find out,” Fernandez said. “They say you’re the last to know.”

How many concussions did he have?

“More than I can remember,” Fernandez said. “Two were diagnosed as concussions. Two times, I don’t even remember. Nobody hit anybody with their head harder than I did. But my wife [who died last year] had Alzheimer’s and never took a hit. Where did she get it?”

Stanfill, a first-team All-Pro during the Dolphins’ 1972 undefeated season, said he was diagnosed with frontal lobe damage in his brain in 2003 and tests last October indicated he is “20 percent worse.”

Stanfill, 69, who lives about an hour away from Fernandez in rural southwestern Georgia, said he took thousands of hits to his head as a player and has no doubt his lobe damage was caused by that.

There are days “I can’t remember where to go,” said Stanfill, who receives assistance from his wife. “And even some old friends, I don’t have a clue what their name is. I want to be cremated but I want my brain tested [for CTE].”

Stanfill worked as a real estate broker after his playing career but retired five years ago because “my memory was so bad. I felt I needed to retire because I didn’t want to screw over my clients.”

Like many former players with cognitive difficulties, Stanfill is awaiting financial relief.

The NFL and players agreed to a potential $1 billion settlement of a lawsuit brought by former players to compensate them for brain damage, but some former players are appealing because it doesn’t include CTE. That has delayed payments in the range of $190,000 for every former player diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or moderate dementia.

“I deserve every cent I can get out of this lawsuit,” Stanfill said.

Duper, 57, said he’s doing “OK” and that occasional use of a hyperbaric chamber helps.

“It definitely affects your life, but you’ve got to be positive,” Duper said. “I don’t want to have suicidal thoughts. Some days are better than others. I still have problems with names. I remember faces better than names.”

Duper, who is operating under the belief that he has CTE, said he had four or five concussions, one time on consecutive weeks, but usually went back in the game quickly.

Anderson recalled a game when former teammate Jake Scott was “knocked out” with a concussion. When a coach told Scott to go back in the game, Anderson intervened and said, “He’s not going back in.”

Former Dolphins All-Pro guard Bob Kuechenberg, 68, said he has a “contest when I head toward the kitchen. Do I remember why I’m going there? Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don’t.”

Though he has no evidence of cognitive damage, Kuechenberg said: “I know I have [CTE]. Why would I not have it? I would guess we all have it. There’s nothing you can do.”

Andersen, 69, keeps close tabs on the 45 or so living members of the ’72 team that went 17-0. Seven have died from that team, but only one of those seven (Morrall) was known to have a condition related to the brain (Parkinson’s Disease and CTE).

Duper, a two-time All Pro in a career that spanned from 1982 to 1992, said several teammates have come to him expressing concern about their own health.

“I tell them to go to a doctor and get tested,” he said. “When you got your bell rung when I played, people thought it was a joke. You didn’t know how serious this is until now.”

Should I get Diablo?

AHG2uMD.gif

Spinluck

There are like 7 guys the Colts could take at receiver in the second round. Treadwell is the top guy obviously and he might drop to 18. But after that Cooper, Coleman, Thomas, Doctson, Higgins, and Boyd all could go in the second round. I don't know if second round is too high for you.

Edit: Actually second round is a bit too high for Miller.

Grigson has proven he's a lot better at evaluating young WR talent than FA WRs, I think he drafts a WR, but I think the 2nd is too high for our needs right now. He found guys like TY and Moncrief in the 3rd round, and you can argue that Dorsett was his worst WR pick (although he got hurt so we didn't see the extent of what he can do in the pros).

I think we take Zeke if he's available in the 1st RD, if not we go with a pass rusher, then in the second RD we take a Guard, and then the rest is mostly filling the gaps on defense.

Honestly.. He is meant to go to the Cowboys as he has stated he wants to go there I believe.

Wow, now that I think about it, that sounds likely.

PS4 is 25 bucks, it's the ultimate edition...whatever that means.

Is Divinity multiplayer too? Because that sounds fun, I'm also thinking of buying Fat Princess, I love four player dungeon crawlers.

I might get Divinity too
Yes Divinity has MP but I haven't played it so I can't comment on the details or how it plays.

If we avoid major injuries and get over the Super Bowl hangover, this team should easily be the class of the division again. None of the others are catching up to our overall talent and depth in one offseason, and we're getting KB back. I could see us signing one impact free agent this offseason, either in the secondary or along the defensive line, and maybe trading up to get an impact player at a position of need. Green Bay is probably the team I fear the most in the NFC, they have a great young defense and Rodgers should be back with a vengeance next year.
But Cam's a little bitch so you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom