• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT| A Fraud Needs A Place To Crash, FreemanCorp: LiveMas

Status
Not open for further replies.
ESPN: Tom Coughlin still has 'hard feelings' about exit from Giants

"Don't think that there aren't some hard feelings there. There are," Coughlin said on The Michael Kay Show on ESPN Radio in New York on Tuesday. "That's just natural. I just try to control them when the moment is right."
"Hey, do I agree with the move? Of course not," Coughlin told Jay Mohr on Fox Sports Radio. "It hurts. It hurts. 'Former' is not a good word. I don't like the word, but that's the way it is."
"As time went on, it didn't just feel like it was going to work," Coughlin told the Michael Kay Show about his interview with the Eagles. "I don't know if it was the right fit for the Eagles or for me. ... In all reality, it wasn't going to work and we left it at that."
"There's always a plan, but how in fact is all comes together takes more than one party," Coughlin said on the Michael Kay Show. "I would like to stay very close to the game in some capacity. All this time, I've been judging my own emotions, my own feelings.

"... I've been a head coach in this league for some 21 years, 22 years. I think I've amassed some ability to help an organization, and I certainly would like to be able to do that."

eznark

Banned
Sorry I am just going off the tweet by Breer from last night. Could be wrong but he wrote "in laymen terms, Bradford gets 18M for 16 and counts 4M against the cap if Eagles cut him before 3.17.17"

Well, that would be a different structure than Brandt wrote yesterday. That $18m includes a signing bonus, which he said the Eagles split up between the two seasons. That $4m is a guaranteed 2017 salary and doesn't include to deferred half of the signing bonus. Breer said he was a $12m cap hit this year which would make him an $11m cap hit next year I believe, whether he makes the team or not.

I mean if you had to root for one team, browns or the buckeyes, what would you choose?
If I'm being completely honest, Browns for me personally. They're are favorite team, and the one I care about most. I'd take them over Cavs and Buckeyes. All the other guys like gobias and Floyd are probably way bigger Ohio state fans then me. Browns suck but they are still my favorite

Hindl

Well, that would be a different structure than Brandt wrote yesterday. That $18m includes a signing bonus, which he said the Eagles split up between the two seasons. That $4m is a guaranteed 2017 salary and doesn't include to deferred half of the signing bonus. Breer said he was a $12m cap hit this year which would make him an $11m cap hit next year I believe, whether he makes the team or not.

I'm still new to this cap stuff, so I could be mistaken. But going off of overthecap, like you said he has a signing bonus split up over 2 years. Also according to overthecap, he has $22M guaranteed + another $4M for injury, as opposed to $26M straight up. So he has a $7M base salary plus $5.5M of the bonus for this year. So already, $12.5M of the $22M is paid. Add in the second part of his roster bonus, you're at $18M. So I think next year only $4M of the remaining $14M is guaranteed (unless he gets injured). If all this checks out, his cap hit next season is $23M if we keep him. But if we cut him, we only owe him the guaranteed + the remaining signing bonus for $9.5M. That would save the Eagles $14M next year. Also correct me if I'm wrong, but if another team signs him after we cut him, are the Eagles released from the signing bonus portion?

Here's the link if I've made a mistake somewhere
http://overthecap.com/player/sam-bradford/1349

BigAT

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure teams don't get to decide how signing bonuses (specifically signing bonuses) get split up over the length of a contract with regards to cap hits. It gets split up evenly over the length of the contract and applied equally in each year. Sportrac (which is usually a great resource for this stuff) seems to properly show this and says his dead cap number for the second year is $9.5M (the $4M roster bonus mentioned above plus half of his $11M signing bonus).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/sam-bradford/

Agree with eznark that the idea of him only costing them only $4M in cap money for the second year if cut seems like absurd nonsense.

effzee

I'm still new to this cap stuff, so I could be mistaken. But going off of overthecap, like you said he has a signing bonus split up over 2 years. Also according to overthecap, he has $22M guaranteed + another $4M for injury, as opposed to $26M straight up. So he has a $7M base salary plus $5.5M of the bonus for this year. So already, $12.5M of the $22M is paid. Add in the second part of his roster bonus, you're at $18M. So I think next year only $4M of the remaining $14M is guaranteed (unless he gets injured). If all this checks out, his cap hit next season is $23M if we keep him. But if we cut him, we only owe him the guaranteed + the remaining signing bonus for $9.5M. That would save the Eagles $14M next year. Also correct me if I'm wrong, but if another team signs him after we cut him, are the Eagles released from the signing bonus portion?

So if the bold part is true, the cap hit would be $4M but overall Eagles would have to pay him $9.5M to make him go away?

Overall like I said I don't care too much about the money. Howie's specialty is crafting cap friendly deals so I'll trust him with that at least. Now what evaluation criteria they used to come to the judgement that Bradford is who they want to move forward with is another story.

Either Bradford is the greatest con man in the league, best practice QB in history, or he really is good but just hasn't translated it all onto the field I don't know. But I'm ok with 2 years for him as long as they draft a QB or 2 to groom behind him.

Fox318

opueXty.gif

Eagles should have just traded for a qb

like above

eznark

Banned

That sounds right. So I was $1.5m off. Breer was $4.5m off. I was right!

I feel like a $9.5m cap hit would potentially lead the league in single season dead money?

So if the bold part is true, the cap hit would be $4M but overall Eagles would have to pay him $9.5M to make him go away?
lol no, any money you pay the guy counts against the cap. His minimum cap number for 2017 is the pro-rated bonus of $4.5m and the guaranteed salary of $4m. Honestly if I were the Eagles, who have like $18m in cap space right now, I'd probably just pay him that $4m this year. I think it's a PR move.

Fox318

I feel like a $9.5m cap hit would potentially lead the league in single season dead money?

lol no, any money you pay the guy counts against the cap.

if Bradford is injured couldn't his money come off the books?

Hindl

Overall like I said I don't care too much about the money. Howie's specialty is crafting cap friendly deals so I'll trust him with that at least. Now what evaluation criteria they used to come to the judgement that Bradford is who they want to move forward with is another story.

Either Bradford is the greatest con man in the league, best practice QB in history, or he really is good but just hasn't translated it all onto the field I don't know. But I'm ok with 2 years for him as long as they draft a QB or 2 to groom behind him.

No the cap hit is $9.5M regardless. However, I was mistaken. I think if another team signs him after we cut, we only owe him the signing bonus, not the guaranteed. So if we cut and another team signs, he has a $5.5M cap hit next year. Of course, if he plays bad enough where we cut him from a two year deal, the chances of another team signing him is slim to none

eznark

Banned
No the cap hit is $9.5M regardless. However, I was mistaken. I think if another team signs him after we cut, we only owe him the signing bonus, not the guaranteed. So if we cut and another team signs, he has a $5.5M cap hit next year. Of course, if he plays bad enough where we cut him from a two year deal, the chances of another team signing him is slim to none

That's not true. the guaranteed money counts no matter what. It's guaranteed. Even if you trade him that $4m 2017 number is on your cap. It's not "sort of" dead cap. It's real dead cap.

eznark

Banned
Packers on the other hand signed Mason Crosby to a 1 year, $5m deal with 3 additional team option years of $4m apiece (the correct way to report NFL deals). There is no dead cap money in that contract. Ted da God.

Hindl

That's not true. the guaranteed money counts no matter what. It's guaranteed. Even if you trade him that $4m 2017 number is on your cap. It's not "sort of" dead cap. It's real dead cap.

Hmmm alright still learning this stuff. This is all hypothetical, since no team is going to trade for Bradford for a one year deal, but how come if you select trade on OTC there's only the $5.5M signing bonus in dead money for 2017? That's why I thought the $4M transferred but I think I'm misunderstanding it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Packers on the other hand signed Mason Crosby to a 1 year, $5m deal with 3 additional team option years of $4m apiece (the correct way to report NFL deals). There is no dead cap money in that contract. Ted da God.

That's the perfect kicker contract since they so often fall off a cliff...like he did in 2012.

He's been fantastic the last few seasons so I wonder what changed?

eznark

Banned
That's the perfect kicker contract since they so often fall off a cliff...like he did in 2012.

He's been fantastic the last few seasons so I wonder what changed?

I think there were personal issues with his family. It's what I was told when I asked why the leash was so long.

Striker

Stay away from Trevathan!

Very curious what Reese's plan is for the MLB spot. Brinkley is a FA and he's an aging vet who has some limitations. He's not bad but he is alright in spot duty. But they need some speed in that position, badly. Years of a declining Antonio Pierce, Jon Goff, Chase Blackburn, Jon Beason, my Tebow. Good players, but just slow as can be.

Garafolo thinks they'll go hard at guys like Malik Jackson and Mario Williams.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Weinke you are moving to Kentucky?! Where?

Girlfriend's family lives in Owensboro so we're looking at major cities within a 3 hour radius (except Indianapolis because blah). So Louisville, Nashville, St. Louis, and Cincinnati are on the list. I really miss winter after 4 years in Texas so hopefully Cincinnati wins.

She's a Health and Environmental Science manager so she's got the task of finding the job first since there are accounting jobs literally everywhere.

So sure we could hang out if I live in the area!

He may be moving to Louisville or parts of Ohio. He hadn't brought it up in forever. So I thought I'd ask

Yeah her field is pretty specialized so it's taking some time.

Youre leaving us wienke? ):

I'll miss whataburger if it's any consolation. Also Ninfa's on Navigation. I bet finding amazing fajitas outside of Texas is going to be a challenge.

That's cool Wienke. I hope you find something.

It's degas fault

Be nice to your bro.

God speed to him. It would take some really special sort of lady for me to even think about moving to Kentucky.

To be fair, it may be Louisville. It's like Columbus is to Ohio. An oasis in a desert of sadness.

Stop making things up flord
When do I ever lie Bread?

And lo and behold.. I was proven true.

effzee

Hard feelings LOL get over it Tom.

No reason Giants should be as shitty as they have been since their last SB. Just cause you win 2 SBs but then become worse and worse each season doesn't buy you a lifetime pass to remain coach.

Of course it had more to do with the drafts, injuries, and FA pick ups but it isn't like Tom was coaching his butt off. He has had the best QB in the division for how many years?

TC was Wellington Mara's final hire before he died, TC gone it finally John Mara's team, and his first hire is an inexperience OC with 2 years of coordinator experience, oh man, they will win the shitty east or be the worst team next year...

So just like how they have been for the past 4-5 seasons?

effzee

lol no, any money you pay the guy counts against the cap. His minimum cap number for 2017 is the pro-rated bonus of $4.5m and the guaranteed salary of $4m. Honestly if I were the Eagles, who have like $18m in cap space right now, I'd probably just pay him that $4m this year. I think it's a PR move.

PR move? How so? PR would have been to pump all this talk about upping the offer and being serious so they can always say "we tried but they wanted too much" or that Bradford didn't want to be back.

This seems like they really wanted him back.

Question now is was it Howie and his excellent world class scouting eye who wanted him back or did Doug call Andy and ask "oh gee golly I really don't know Andy you think we should keep this duder?"

Floyd, can you give me the rundown on tight end Nick Vannett?
Decent speed and hands. Can be used in the passing game.. We didn't use him a lot at OSU because

Of Depth as we had Jeff Heuerman now playing for Denver.

And scheme- he was mostly used for blocking.

Between the two.. Jeff and Nick.. Nick is better to me. We've had decent tight ends, but never really get them involved in the passing game. So.. Could be a good edition.

MechDX

Girlfriend's family lives in Owensboro so we're looking at major cities within a 3 hour radius (except Indianapolis because blah). So Louisville, Nashville, St. Louis, and Cincinnati are on the list. I really miss winter after 4 years in Texas so hopefully Cincinnati wins.

She's a Health and Environmental Science manager so she's got the task of finding the job first since there are accounting jobs literally everywhere.

So sure we could hang out if I live in the area!

yes-rudy1.gif

But eff you for wanting to hang out with EZ and not me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom