• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT| A Fraud Needs A Place To Crash, FreemanCorp: LiveMas

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Well. Its Tuesday. Do taco pizzas exist?

139837518083630.jpg

Hindl

By all accounts Pederson seems to like Bradford? Which as a fan would make me incredibly worried about the coach my team just hired if that is actually the case.

Deal seems to make sense for the Eagles if and only if you're incredibly high on Bradford and think he will outperform most reasonable expectations.

The fact that it only is two years makes me think they are just weighing all options. Two years gives Bradford the chance to prove himself, and if not, gives a rookie the time to develop. If they really were high on Bradford I feel like this would be a 4 year deal. The money is high, but we probably would've been locked into him for two years regardless of how long the contract actually was. Tag might've been the smarter move, but maybe the coaches feel that any rookie is going to need at least two years to adjust. Also, in the off chance Bradford has a good year, this gives them an extra year to evaluate if that was a flash in the pan or if he actually improved.

Pepiope

The fact that it only is two years makes me think they are just weighing all options. Two years gives Bradford the chance to prove himself, and if not, gives a rookie the time to develop. If they really were high on Bradford I feel like this would be a 4 year deal. The money is high, but we probably would've been locked into him for two years regardless of how long the contract actually was. Tag might've been the smarter move, but maybe the coaches feel that any rookie is going to need at least two years to adjust. Also, in the off chance Bradford has a good year, this gives them an extra year to evaluate if that was a flash in the pan or if he actually improved.
This deal gives up the flexibility we lost with the Murray/Maxwell deals last year. Cox is going to cost major coin, deservingly so.

effzee

As everyone knows I'm no fan of Howie, firing Chip, have soured on Lurie, am lukewarm on Bradford, and have zero confidence in Pederson...but

I don't see this as a terrible deal? It's only 2 years, it's the going rate for middle of the pack QBs, doesn't prevent them from extending other guys or signing a key FA or 2, and doesn't make selecting a qb at pick 13 unrealistic.

I mean they could still draft a Goff or Lynch at 13 and let him sit for 2-3 seasons. Or they can trade up into the 2nd round or select a QB in the 3rd round.

I might have been more excited by a move to get Kaep or signing RG3 but whatever. Division isn't great so if along with this move, an improved oline, and a normal paced offense benefiting the D, they could contend for the division.

If not? You cut him year 2 and start whoever you drafted.

I think I'm past caring about money and who gets what. The market is what it is and the cap is only going up. I hate Howie but give him due and trust he will keep the cap in decent shape.

squicken

Wait so they owe him $4m in year 2 but if they cut him it's a $9.5m hit?

Am I understanding it right?

He has a roster bonus due at the start of next year. They can walk away with a cap hit of $9.5. If he suffers a big injury, they owe him $4m next year

Bradford's receivers by targets. This is the crux of any pro-Bradford argument

Pepiope

He has a roster bonus due at the start of next year. They can walk away with a cap hit of $9.5. If he suffers a big injury, they owe him $4m next year

Greg Lewis is gonna work his magic and help out Matthews, Aggy, and Huff. If they progress the way they should, Bradford will have a solid core along with Ertz whose role will probably grow now that he'll be used as a pass catching TE and not a blocking TE.

The birds are back!

Slo

Annoyed that Vikings are in no man's land in the draft. The old one-n-done in the playoff stings even into April.

effzee

5.5M bonus + 4M guaranteed.

He is costing us 12.5M this year.

5.5M bonus + 7M guaranteed.

Thanks.

It does also allow them to NOT be forced to select a QB at 13 if they don't like the guys.

Bitanator

My god the eagles might be decent this year. Sam and the offense will be at least ok if they can improve the OL, and the D should be vastly improved.

I think the Eagle D is going to wreck people, Tony Romo better be in an iron man suit or he is going to die. Going to be fun and nerve racking to watch the Dallas Cowboys go against that defense.

squicken

Thanks.

It does also allow them to NOT be forced to select a QB at 13 if they don't like the guys.

If they bring back Bradford next year, his cap hit is like $18m (base salary in '17 is $13m). So I would think this deal makes it almost a certainty they are drafting a QB, and Bradford is just a one year deal that gives the Eagles some protection by having him under contract for next year

They really need to nail the draft wrt OL. Not just for pass protection but to get that run game going again

effzee

LOL this sounds very familiar. You said the same thing last year!

And it was. Up till week 8-9 it was top 10 in all categories and 6th in points allowed.

Then Hicks got hurt and the team got blown out 2 weeks in a row and they were never the same. Bradford missed his 2 games during that stretch and Sanchez did Sanchez things.

Add Schwartz and regular paced offense D should improve.

According to Albert Breer, in layman terms Bradford gets 18M this year and if they cut him before 3.17.17 they only owe him 4M.

And it was. Up till week 8-9 it was top 10 in all categories and 6th in points allowed.

Then Hicks got hurt and the team got blown out 2 weeks in a row and they were never the same. Bradford missed his 2 games during that stretch and Sanchez did Sanchez things.

Add Schwartz and regular paced offense D should improve.

According to Albert Breer, in layman terms Bradford gets 18M this year and if they cut him before 3.17.17 they only owe him 4M.

Eagle's D was good last season. It's just funny that they "vastly improve" every year.

As long as Mallett doesn't start, next season's a success in my book

Remember when we got a ring a couple years ago? I'm not saying I ever want a repeat of that (I'm not greedy, going to one parade in my lifetime is enough), but goddamn falling from that to "everyone's dead and Mallett and Clausen are getting starts" in a few years is nightmarish

effzee

Eagle's D was good last season. It's just funny that they "vastly improve" every year.

Well by the end it was horrible.

Vastly improved should be the expectation. Kiko was a non factor, Hicks went out for the season, lost starting Corner opposite Maxwell for the season, and overall they just fell apart by the end.

If they get the guys above healthy, add a good pick or 2, and Schwartz does what he is supposed to as DC, I expect improvement.

MechDX

20 QBs are currently being paid at least $16 million a year. That's the value of an average QB in the NFL.

#Texans QBs currently on the books for ~$5.5 of base salary. Add in B.J. Daniels, ~$6.1 of base salary for 2016. https://t.co/Dfne1HHyNC

lol. When Savage lights up defenses this year all those teams are going to look so foolish

@JoeGiglioSports
20 QBs have started at least 60 gms since Bradford entered the league. Sammy's ranks:

Comp%: 19
Rating: 20
Y/A: 20
TD%: 20
Wins: 20
TD: 20

MechDX

Column: It's time for the #Texans to finally part ways with Arian Foster
https://t.co/8D4qP5Zbux @HoustonChron https://t.co/jzqeJc8mgq

Good article and sadly I agree. Can't pay him that much money at 30 years old and back to back season ending injuries. Love watching Arian run, he was just so damn smooth while breaking ankles.

His end will basically clear the last remnants of Kubiaks offense here.

Crisco

Banned
My theory? While he was in St. Louis, he stole some of the pictures Jeff Fisher uses to blackmail the league into keeping him employed.

Afrikan

He's 25-37-1 as a starting QB, his best one season record is last yr at 7-7…yep he missed 2 games because of injury…
he's only started all 16 games once.
He's already made $78M and potentially can make another $36M in the next 2 yrs….
Bradford is winning the "Business" of football….

about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom