• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT| A Fraud Needs A Place To Crash, FreemanCorp: LiveMas

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechDX

2016 Senior Bowl Rumor Mill

New rumors from Senior Bowl.

In speaking with sources, the Texans plan on being active in free agency. Last year wide receivers Nate Washington and Cecil Shorts signed one-year contracts, so replacing them with some speed complements for DeAndre Hopkins could be one direction they go. Other areas that Houston could definitely address would be a veteran quarterback, running back, tight end, and offensive line help. Really all positions on the offense are potential options for the Texans looking to improve.

One team that hasn't been discussed being in the quarterback market is the San Diego Chargers. They signed Philip Rivers to an extension, and with the regime on the hot seat, nobody has projecting San Diego to take a quarterback. However, Rivers is 34 and they could get a nice draft pick for the veteran. Sources with the Chargers say the team loves North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz. If the Chargers have a shot at Wentz, San Diego will have to consider taking Rivers heir apparent and seeing what they can get for Rivers. Although Rivers contract could make trading him difficult.

More at link but these two caught my eye for obvious reasons. PIP and BOB?? Be still mine and Breads beating heart.

Godslay

Banned
Watching Braxton now at senior Bowl :") I think he should retire before steelers draft him.

I'm obviously not completely in touch with their team, but why would they draft another WR?

Seems like they would flesh out the team somewhere else. Unless BPA of course.

MechDX

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 7m7 minutes ago
The buzz around the Browns and Carson Wentz at #2 is real.

superman-dad-death-reaction-Kevin-Costner-1387241798Q.gif

Watching Braxton now at senior Bowl :") I think he should retire before steelers draft him.
It would be the right thing for him to do.

I'm obviously not completely in touch with their team, but why would they draft another WR?

Seems like they would flesh out the team somewhere else. Unless BPA of course.
To make Pittsburgh the Ohio State Steelers :) Jak's favorite college team.

Gonna have towel down Browns GAF after all this Brax and Wentz noise
And the send Johnny to Houston...

MOBILE, Ala. - Howie Roseman had to check with a nearby Eagles spokesman when he wanted to know Tuesday's date. It was Jan. 26.

Whether the Eagles vice president of football operations really knew the date or not didn't matter. The point Roseman was trying to make, after being asked about Sam Bradford and the decision the team will have to make about the quarterback position, was that it was still early in the process.
"It's only January," Roseman said after Senior Bowl practice. "Teams are still playing. So we've got some time."
True as that may be, it was the perfect way to deflect the now-No. 1 question for the Eagles after Doug Pederson was hired as head coach last week: Who will be their quarterback for 2016?

Roseman, Pederson, et al may not have come to a conclusion on Bradford's future. But even if they did, they always have time to change their minds. The Eagles, of course, hold the keys to his future, but Bradford, as an impeding free agent, will have a say even if the team places the franchise tag on him before March 1.
He could hold out. But if the Eagles want to keep Bradford, it's unlikely that they'll let him drift into the market when the new league year begins on March 9. He will be the most attractive free-agent quarterback.

Bradford's value could price the Eagles out, especially if they believe they could get a more affordable franchise-caliber quarterback via free agency, trade, or the draft.
"Obviously, the quarterback is the most important position on the field and it would be disingenuous to say anything else," Roseman said. "But at the same time, you've just got to evaluate the players on your team, evaluate the players in the draft, evaluate the free-agent market, and then start making decisions."

At his introductory news conference, Pederson said that the 28-year-old would be able to transition into what he expects to be a West Coast-based hybrid offense.
"Sam's a good player. I think [Pederson] spoke about it," Roseman said. "We talk about experts and quarterbacks, you're talking about a guy who played the position, a guy who coached the position. We're very fortunate about the amount of quarterback expertise that we have on this staff."

Pederson and new offensive coordinator Frank Reich are both former NFL quarterbacks and have worked exclusively with quarterbacks over various points of their coaching careers. The same goes for new quarterbacks coach John DeFillippo.
All three also have been NFL offensive coordinators. Reich, who worked with Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers the last three seasons, was asked whether he assumed that he would eventually be working with Bradford.

"In this business you don't assume anything. It's a tough business," Reich said. "But everything I know about Sam is extremely positive. The observations that I've made just as an ex-quarterback watching him play, it seems like he has a great understanding of the game."

Reich said that San Diego backup quarterback Kellen Clemens, who played with Bradford in St. Louis, spoke highly of his former teammate.
"I think Sam is a very cerebral, high I.Q. football guy, quarterback guy," Reich said. "I think he showed that as the year went on."
Bradford's last seven games were markedly better than his first seven. He completed 68.2 percent of his passes for 1,959 yards and 10 touchdowns with four interceptions for a 97.0 passer rating in the last seven. In the first seven he completed 62 percent for 1,766 yards and nine touchdowns with 10 interceptions for a 76.4 rating.
Bradford obviously needed time in Chip Kelly's offense, but he also needed to distance himself from the two torn anterior cruciate ligament injuries that sidelined him for nearly two years. He missed two games in 2015 with a shoulder injury, but he proved that his left knee could hold up for the season.

Others teams will be interested as a result. Kelly, who traded for Bradford, may want to bring him to the 49ers. Bradford may not want to have to learn another system. But he played in the West Coast with the Rams and Kelly didn't allow him much leeway when it came to changing plays at the line of scrimmage.
Pederson and Reich have said they want to be able to give responsibility to their quarterbacks, especially when it gets the offense out of a bad play against a particular defense. Of course, some can handle more than others.
"It's on a continuum and there are some guys that handle more and there are some guys that can handle less," Reich said. "As a coach, as a staff, Doug and myself, you determine how much latitude you want to give a guy. And when you get a thoroughbred, you want to let that thoroughbred run. But then at times you need to pull back the reins."
Rivers, and all the top quarterbacks, have the playbook at the line of scrimmage. Pederson and Andy Reid gave Alex Smith more say this season and many credited it with the Chiefs' turnaround. The Panthers' Cam Newton is typically given three plays to choose from on third down.

The Eagles contingent will spend part of this week looking at quarterback prospects and whether they have that kind of skill set. Carson Wentz of North Dakota State is the only top-rated quarterback here. He measured out at 6-foot-5, 233 pounds with 10-inch hands during the Senior Bowl weigh-in.
Wentz seemingly has all the intangibles to be a first-round selection, but there is some projection because he played at a Division I-AA level. This week should help or hurt his stock.

"It's another part of the process for him," Roseman said. "Incredibly talented guy, obviously. He's got a lot of things you're looking for. Now he has an opportunity to go against some of the best guys in the country."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...o_decide_on_Bradford.html#B1dbBpIPKVD0fAmF.99

Interesting for all the grief Chip gets for not letting his QBs audible, the guy that is going to be MVP and SB winner is only allowed to chose from 3 plays. How comes no one is killing Riverboat Ron for not letting Cam play QB?

MechDX

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 1m1 minute ago
Braxton Miller is limping. Looks like an ankle maybe. Tried coming back in and couldn't plant.

Hype train dead! Unless Belichik convinced him to do this so he drops to the Pats of course

I hope Jak goes drunken master on you. He doesn't deserve this average aggression.

I'm still amazed at the Wentz stuff. Probably better than Gabbert, but man his meteoric rise feels similar.

1) Yes he does.
2) now that you said Blaine Gabbert.. oh god ... Oh god fuck.. Fuck.. We're so fucked.

Crisco

Banned
Panthers should take him to go with the rest of our tOSU contingent.

If we win the SB, we'll send a quarter of a ring to the Land for their contribution.

Honestly the ideal complement to Cam is a bunch of sprinters on the outside. His number 1, 2, and 3 receivers should all be straight burners. Defenses will always play a safety near the line of scrimmage against him, meaning someone on the outside will always have single coverage. With his ability to hang in the pocket and launch 60 yard fades off his back foot, it's a freaking waste to do anything else given the coverages. Guys like Benjamin and Funchess were a good idea when every other one of his passes sailed high, but now he just needs dudes who can run. It's like having a Steph Curry who can consistently hit 30 foot jumpers, why bother doing anything else?

Furyous

Gonna have towel down Browns GAF after all this Brax and Wentz noise

I'm meh on Wentz for now as of today. Goff and Brax wreck shit. Get me those two and stockpile draft picks while finding value. Wentz needs a patient fan base. Browns fans aren't patient at all. It wouldn't be a problem for Texans fans or Chargers fans to wait on the guy to develop due to the QBs in place. Goff needs dev time but not as much today right now as Wentz. Whatever the Browns do I'll support it even if it means keeping Johnny as starter.

Godslay

Banned
Not really but he has been with the team for a few years already and he's slowly been getting more involved, I trust him more than I trust Ross though so that's why I'm glad he's getting involved.

I see.

I just didn't know if he had a scouting background at some point.

Either way, the guy played the position so he's going to (hopefully) be able to find some nuances over someone who didn't play the position.

ampere

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...o_decide_on_Bradford.html#B1dbBpIPKVD0fAmF.99

Interesting for all the grief Chip gets for not letting his QBs audible, the guy that is going to be MVP and SB winner is only allowed to chose from 3 plays. How comes no one is killing Riverboat Ron for not letting Cam play QB?

Seriously? Because they went 15 - 1 and are heading to the Superbowl after dominating the NFCC. This is a results based league, if you don't win people will rip on everything you do obv

Yes, Pederson has spoken with quarterback and pending unrestricted free agent Sam Bradford. He said so on Wednesday. And, yes, Pederson said the conversation was a “great” one. “Sam and I had a great conversation a couple of days ago. I look forward to working with him".

hmmmmmmmmmm.

Yeah that should help at least, especially if Tannehill doesn't pan out and we have to move on.

I still think Tannehill can be the guy, but it'd be crazy to go into the next season with only Tannehill and maybe Matt Moore (who I think is a free agent right now). Also never hurts to give Tannehill some competition.

Dophins have Tannehill. Seems like a waste of time when they have their franchise QB

We are just taking QBs so that the pats have less to choose from when brady finally quits

I still think Tannehill can be the guy, but it'd be crazy to go into the next season with only Tannehill and maybe Matt Moore (who I think is a free agent right now). Also never hurts to give Tannehill some competition.

I agree, no harm in it plus we do need a back up, Moore is costing to much to hold a clipboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom