• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT| A Fraud Needs A Place To Crash, FreemanCorp: LiveMas

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

Fucking Lions. Another all time great talent wasted.

His legacy will stand the test of time

lions-banner.jpg

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Get it right.

There's only one king of the offseason

And it's between me and DM. None of you fucks can handle the responsibilty.

To settle this me and DM will be having a match and not just any match...we're bringing back the tower of doom!

triplecage-1401116686.jpg

Calv needs to sign that 10 day with Carolina while he still has time. Fitz too.

Come get these rings mayne

But when does the "MURDERED CALVIN JOHNSON'S CAREER" Banner go up at Ford Field?

Get it right.

To settle this me and DM will be having a match and not just any match...we're bringing back the tower of doom!

Shut your ass up. The votes are in and BG is king. You go cry to your shrine of Wes.

That fat bastard has ruined the career of one of the all time greats and Kas still can't stop praising him :(

How fucked is that?

Calv needs to sign that 10 day with Carolina while he still has time. Fitz too.

Come get these rings mayne

But when does the "MURDERED CALVIN JOHNSON'S CAREER" Banner go up at Ford Field?

Right next to killing Barry.

@billbarnwell
Lions will have $12.9 million in dead money on their cap for Megatron in 2016. That after $9.7 million charge for Ndamukong Suh in 2015.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
On cue Detroit Free Press posted this article today:

Why Megatron may join new NFL trend of early retirement

Retirement in the NFL is often a misnomer.

Players don’t typically “retire” from football so much as they’re not wanted anymore, not by their team or any of the 31 others across the league.

But in the past 12 months, more and more of the world’s best athletes have chosen to leave the sport on their own terms.

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Jason Worilds walked away from an eight-figure contract as a free agent last year for religious reasons. A number of San Francisco 49ers — Patrick Willis, Chris Borland and Anthony Davis, chief among them — quit around the same time because of concerns about their health.

But while the Lions sit and wait for Johnson’s decision — new general manager Bob Quinn said this week that he has yet to talk to the six-time Pro Bowler — some across the league wonder if his potential early retirement is part of a new trend.

“San Francisco, I don’t know how many players they had (retire), four, five, six,” former NFL receiver Bert Emanuel said at the Senior Bowl this week. “I don’t know what it was, but that is just a freakishly high number for guys to get to the point where they can still play at a very high level and say I’m done.

“So it makes you think about what’s going on with the game. It makes you consider the safety, the health, the long-term aspects, ’cause otherwise, why would guys be willing to do that?”

Players make more money now than ever before — Johnson has totaled $106.4 million in on-field earnings in his nine-year career and stands to make another $15.95 million if he returns this fall — but also put their bodies through destructive amounts of punishment.

Borland left the game over concerns about brain injuries that barely registered with players years ago. Willis, who was taken nine picks after Johnson in the 2007 draft, retired in part because of a nagging toe injury that cut short his final season. And Johnson has dealt with ankle, knee and finger injuries in recent years that have diminished his greatness.

Lions defensive tackle Haloti Ngata, who turned 32 earlier this month, said players “are more aware now of their body and how (football is) making it worse for them when” they get older.

“Guys are getting injuries that you never thought could happen and just fighting through it, and it kind of sucks,” Ngata said. “You kind of want to play, but it’s just tough. Coming home, your body is just beat up, and your family watches you, and you can’t carry your own kids sometimes, so it makes it tough.”

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...ons-calvin-johnson-early-retirement/79596440/

Going to wait until Calvin actually talks about his future but at the end of the day it's his decision to make.

But like the article states your going to see a lot of players hang up the cleats in their late 20's, early 30's.

If he lasted one more year, he would have lasted as long as Barry :[

Why is he quitting?

Combination of him being hurt and needing to recover, and knowing his team and QB is so shit that even 100% nothing he'd be able to do at this point would matter. They won't release him so even if he came back, he'd still be there, and nobody wants to trade because the value for the Lions would be too high

RBH

Get it right.

JABEE

A quote from Calvin Johnson

"I'm done catching passes thrown by that Hamburglar-looking motherfucker. My career is over. I would like to thank the Detroit Lions and the city of Detroit for nine wonderful seasons in the NFL. I only wish I could have played with Joey Harrington, the greatest quarterback in Lions' history."

Syrinx

We need to pass international laws preventing any more elite talent from going to either the Detroit Lions or the Edmonton Oilers.

JABEE

ye ok how many pesos did nfl pay you to say that seriously if you not youre full of shit as the eaglets chances in the 5 years after
I don't understand. The NFL season is over. One last chance to see the game played at the highest level isn't exciting to you?

Line_HTX

Man, I feel for Calvin Johnson. It sucks that he's walking away from the game this early, but if he's confident in his decision, then so be it.

Got Barry Sanders'd again, what in the fuck...

jakncoke

Banned
I don't understand. The NFL season is over. One last chance to see the game played at the highest level isn't exciting to you?

of course, any that are willing to play are you fucking dense i know philly is fucking basically a half way house but seriously ffs do i need to get banned again today to make you remember your city is fucking a dunce cap

Tom Penny

Man, I feel for Calvin Johnson. It sucks that he's walking away from the game this early, but if he's confident in his decision, then so be it.

Got Barry Sanders'd again, what in the fuck...

Megatron is not really close to the level at his position that Sanders was but as far as a good player just retiring on a franchise it's similar and rare although didn't San Fran's whole defense retire prior to this year..

JABEE

of course, any that are willing to play are you fucking dense i know philly is fucking basically a half way house but seriously ffs do i need to get banned again today to make you remember your city is fucking a dunce cap
RBH and I resent your comments. Have a wonderful Sunday!

Megatron is not really close to the level at his position that Sanders was but as far as a good player just retiring on a franchise it's similar and rare although didn't San Fran's whole defense retire prior to this year..

That was more due to their coach being ousted in ridiculous fashion, them seeing exactly where the team was headed the second after it happened, and deciding individually they wanted no part of it

Line_HTX

Yes, they retired mass exodus before training camp even started.

For real?

How about having 4 of the last 6 first overall picks and still being complete dogshit?
I believe 4 out of the 6 past NHL drafts they have the 1st overall pick. They are still bad.

I legit didn't know. I'm sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom