• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT| A Fraud Needs A Place To Crash, FreemanCorp: LiveMas

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the hell?... They got another Barbershop movie coming out, and Nicki Minaj is in it.
giphy.gif

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Mike Martz upset Terrell Owens leaped over Rams greats for Hall consideration

Former Rams coach Mike Martz says it is "out-and-out ridiculous" that Terrell Owens is a Hall of Fame finalist over a pair of former Rams wide receivers.

Martz told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he doesn't understand why Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt haven't been given more consideration for enshrinement in Canton, Ohio, while Owens is a finalist in his first year of eligibility.

"'Surprised' isn't the word," Martz told the newspaper. "You can't print how I felt when T.O. leapfrogged those two. That's just plain out-and-out ridiculous."

Owens is one of two wide receivers on the final ballot for the Hall of Fame, along with former Indianapolis Colts star Marvin Harrison, whom Martz also took some issue with being ranked over his former players.

"If they big-timed it and did all that dumb stuff, they'd get in probably earlier," Martz told the Post-Dispatch. "I think they'll eventually get in. I don't think that's an issue, but it's tragic that people think of them like that. If Marvin Harrison gets in, how could they not get in?"

In 223 career games, Bruce posted 1,024 receptions (eighth all time) for 15,208 yards (fourth) and 91 touchdowns (11th) on his way to four Pro Bowl appearances.

Holt was a seven-time Pro Bowl selection and was named first-team All-Pro in 2003 and second-team in 2006. He finished his career with 920 catches for 13,382 yards and 74 touchdowns. Holt also holds NFL records for most consecutive seasons with 90 catches and 1,300 receiving yards, marks he hit six straight times in the early 2000s.

"You kinda start with that," Martz said. "Look at their production. More importantly, look at their yards per catch. And then look at it consistently over a long period of time -- it'll compare to anybody. In some cases, nobody comes close. I mean nobody's even come close to what Torry did."

Owens ranks second in yards receiving with 15,934 and third in touchdown receptions with 153. While playing for the 49ers in 2000, he set a record (at the time) for catches in a game with 20 against the Chicago Bears. Harrison had 1,102 receptions for 14,580 yards and 128 touchdowns, making the All-Decade Team of the 2000s.

The Class of 2016 will be decided Saturday, the day before the Super Bowl, with inductions scheduled for August. To be elected, a finalist must receive a minimum of 80 percent of the votes cast by the selection panel. A maximum of eight inductees are allowed per year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ked-hall-fame-finalist-isaac-bruce-torry-holt

The problem for Holt and Bruce is that we are now in an passing era where every Wide out that is at least pro bowl level is going to have equal or better numbers than them.

MechDX

When Andre Johnson is up for the HoF he needs to walk into the voters meeting, hold up a Texans #8 jersey , drop it and walk out.

LJ11

He has all the money he will ever need and doesn't want to shoot himself in the chest in 15 years because he can't remember where he is?

Too late for that.

He's going to be 30, that's not young or early in football years. No point to keep going if your body is telling you otherwise.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Per Schefter Megatron told Caldwell 2015 was his last season. Lions hope to convince him to come back, but at the moment he's content with calling it a career.

Wow.

Ugh. My guess is part of the decision to bring Caldwell back was because they thought Calvin would, too.

Looks like another 1st-round draft pick WR!

How many all time greats are the Lions going to demoralize into retirement?

Matthew Stafford

Would you guys risk your health for the money the nfl guys get?

I probably would.

Fuck that.

Baseball is the way to go. I can go grind for a few years playing AA ball in bumfuck nowhere if it means I'll be making good money (for a longer amount of time) down the road and will be able to remember all my children's names in 20 years.

Would you guys risk your health for the money the nfl guys get?

I probably would.

Depends. Where did I come from? How much money do I currently have? Do I have it invested properly in places where I'm making residual income?

Calvin probably set for life and his children's life. No need to keep pushing it. Only reason he would stay wouldn't be for the money but for the ring, and he probably doesn't believe Detroit can bring him that.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Megatron was literally the best receiver since prime Jerry Rice and this is how his career ends. So sad.

I think all Lions fans (except kas) are entitled to a one time squicken as a result.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
lol my buddies made me that offer when Barry retired

Looking back, don't you regret not taking it?

I just don't know how as a fan that you would want to invest another dime into that failure of a franchise when your best players break like that. If y'all could have traded him or anything else then it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom