• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

Gonna be a pretty worthless season if the Eagles are getting nothing from the first two rounds in 2016

Gonna be a worthless season regardless. New coach, new coordinators, new systems. It makes more sense to just write it off as a lost season that's setting them up for the next season. Getting someone like Goff or Wentz, knowing they're going to sit for at least a season, that gives people something to look forward to when things will actually start to come together. Getting a grade A talent on offense of defense that is going to play well this year isn't going to significantly change their chances of getting into the playoffs this season. Getting a QB this year that can learn and develop for a year greatly increases your chances of getting to the playoffs the year after. Then they've got a 2-3 year window to do something special just with the personnel they have now.

Hindl

Gonna be a pretty worthless season if the Eagles are getting nothing from the first two rounds in 2016

Eh I don't think they'll be competing anyway in 2016. None of the QBs are ready to start day one, so it could be a good situation for them. I'd rather target someone later like Jacoby Brissett, and use our 1st and 3rds to get talent in other positions. But I can see the argument for getting a QB early and sititng them. No 2nd sucks but that doesn't change the fact that they should get BPA at 8. If they think that's Goff or Wentz, then take them. I doubt it'll happen though

Edit: ^ Mostly agreed, but there is some Grade A talent at the top of this draft that, if they fall, Howie should grab without hesitation.

squicken

Eh I don't think they'll be competing anyway in 2016. None of the QBs are ready to start day one, so it could be a good situation for them. I'd rather target someone later like Jacoby Brissett, and use our 1st and 3rds to get talent in other positions. But I can see the argument for getting a QB early and sititng them. No 2nd sucks but that doesn't change the fact that they should get BPA at 8. If they think that's Goff or Wentz, then take them. I doubt it'll happen though

Edit: ^ Mostly agreed, but there is some Grade A talent at the top of this draft that, if they fall, Howie should grab without hesitation.

Gonna be a worthless season regardless. New coach, new coordinators, new systems. It makes more sense to just write it off as a lost season that's setting them up for the next season. Getting someone like Goff or Wentz, knowing they're going to sit for at least a season, that gives people something to look forward to when things will actually start to come together. Getting a grade A talent on offense of defense that is going to play well this year isn't going to significantly change their chances of getting into the playoffs this season. Getting a QB this year that can learn and develop for a year greatly increases your chances of getting to the playoffs the year after. Then they've got a 2-3 year window to do something special just with the personnel they have now.

If they are burning off 2016, why did they spend $22m of their cap on Bradford? They should have re-signed Cox and front loaded the deal. Sign Daniel to play this year and have tons of cap room in 2017. It would be a really bad move on Howie's part. It means he's not committing to a plan, but trying to have one foot in and one foot out

There's more sure talent they can get at 8, in terms of "will they turn out to be a great player". But in terms of how large an effect those people can have on a team overall a QB will always be king. If Goff or Wentz turns into a better than average QB it would elevate the team much more than having a great RB or a great CB.

But they already have a better then average QB. We will have to see how dougies offense does this year but I have no hopes at all, so I dont think drafting a QB is going to make any difference at all.

glad i waited on the ps4, i'll just get the new one when that comes out!

Are you really going to pay $500 for a more powerful PS4? There is a thread in gaming right now from someone claiming to be at a Sony meeting where the price was revealed to be $500. That seems beyond insane to me.

Bread

Banned
Are you really going to pay $500 for a more powerful PS4? There is a thread in gaming right now from someone claiming to be at a Sony meeting where the price was revealed to be $500. That seems beyond insane to me.
I'm going to get a PS4 (and maybe VR too) anyways so why not spend a couple hundred extra to see a serious upgrade.

If they are burning off 2016, why did they spend $22m of their cap on Bradford? They should have re-signed Cox and front loaded the deal. Sign Daniel to play this year and have tons of cap room in 2017. It would be a really bad move on Howie's part. It means he's not committing to a plan, but trying to have one foot in and one foot out

I agree with this largely. Still, you'll need a QB to play this year, I don't think they want to start Chase Daniel because they still want to field an entertaining product. Having Bradford there gives them that, even if they are overpaying for it, and it will help the rest of the offense settle in to a new system, as they mostly know Bradford's tendencies. I never liked the Bradford signing and wanted them to go the new QB route all along, but I also understand the appeal of at least trying to field an entertaining team.

Edit: You could also argue that having an average QB like Bradford would enable the coaches to develop and evaluate the system better than having a potentially bad QB.

It saddens me that some of our brothers in #QuadLaGang will be stuck playing blurry ass games in boring 900p with shitty framerates on old outdated consoles while the rest of us will be enjoying the full glory of 1080p/60fps on the PS4K but sometimes sacrifices have to be made for progress.

Respect

The meltdowns in the PS4K thread have made my day....feel like I haven't seen a meltdown thread in a while now.

Well, guess I'm forgetting the NX pad, but I didn't read much of that thread.

Meh I'm not getting this new Ps4. Unless there's some insane trade in deal where I only pay 100 dollars or something.

shoulda invested my money in Ouya

RBH

This PS4K stuff seems pretty ridiculous.

I would be incredibly pissed off if I had just purchased a PS4 within the past 6 or so months.

The meltdowns in the PS4K thread have made my day....feel like I haven't seen a meltdown thread in a while now.

Well, guess I'm forgetting the NX pad, but I didn't read much of that thread.

I am surprised to see so many sony fans down on this idea of incremental upgrades midgen. I am super curious to see how this thing does at retail.

MechDX

I would be incredibly pissed off if I had just purchased a PS4 within the past 6 or so months.

I would be pissed off if I bought one ever. Same way if MS announces an "upgrade" console. That's not how consoles are supposed to work

Tom Penny

I am surprised to see so many sony fans down on this idea of incremental upgrades midgen. I am super curious to see how this thing does at retail.
I never bought a PS4. PS4k at 399 is fine by me 499 no way. They are definitely fragmenting current owners with no type of trade in option. They are clearly going all in on VR and want to be the first console to wow people with it.

Are they not going to support red headed step child PS4 when this goes down? I dont see the complains then. Better shit cost more. Just like Phone models.

That's only insane to people that haven't been PC gaming for years (I've spent $2,000 in GPU upgrades over the last 5 years). I have no issue with it, really. The max price was stated at $500 by the way with the price likely to come in at $400.

Phil Spencer was just on record stating that very similar incremental hardware upgrades are the future of the Xbox brand as well. Welcome to the new world.

Now watch as Sony trots out The Last of Us for a PS4K re-remaster.
I'll buy that shit in a heartbeat, too..and yeah I'm "part of the problem" and frankly don't give damn. I don't game to make a statement with my buying habits. I buy and play what I want.

I never bought a PS4. PS4k at 399 is fine by me 499 no way. They are definitely fragmenting current owners with no type of trade in option. They are clearly going all in on VR and want to be the first console to wow people with it.

Are they not going to support red headed step child PS4 when this goes down?
I dont see the complains then. Better shit cost more. Just like Phone models.

That is the big question. If this is really twice as powerful what happens when the new God of War game is developed for PS4K and runs like shit on a vanilla PS4. This is a very interesting experiment.

Mindlog

This kind of throws a wrench at PSVR.
Now I want something with a higher res or bigger FoV...

I haven't bought an XBOX ONE. If MS does it right and XBOX ONE POINT FIVE is a huge upgrade I might get one. PS+ and most of the exclusives haven't been all that thrilling.

On the other hand. Master of Orion remake, Stellaris, Hearts of Iron 3, Tyranny, Total Warhammer, Elite, Star Citizen.... Do consoles matter?

That is the big question. If this is really twice as powerful what happens when the new God of War game is developed for PS4K and runs like shit on a vanilla PS4. This is a very interesting experiment.
If I'm Sony, I see the PS4K as a boutique item geared towards the "power user" much like an Xbox Elite Controller on a larger scale. I'd play up the VR aspects alongside the 4K Blu-Ray functionality over any enhanced gaming features. Frankly, I see developers continuing to focus a vast majority of their development time on the PS4 proper given its already massive userbase with "4K Enhanced" versions of titles hitting the new platform with increased fidelity, etc.

I just don't see a vast majority of users upgrading outside of tech junkies that want to take advantage of such devices. Sony offering some type of trade-in or buy back program would lessen the blow for many users though and makes sense (it would be shitty if they didn't do something!). Though I'm sure retailers will step up in the regard.

I would upgrade my console every five or six years. If these things get on a three year cycle, I wouldn't mind jumping on one every other cycle. It would kind of be like being on the fully numbered iPhone cycle.

Respect

If I'm Sony, I see the PS4K as a boutique item geared towards the "power user" much like an Xbox Elite Controller on a larger scale. I'd play up the VR aspects alongside the 4K Blu-Ray functionality over any enhanced gaming features. Frankly, I see developers continuing to focus a vast majority of their development time on the PS4 proper given its already massive userbase with "4K Enhanced" versions of titles hitting the new platform with increased fidelity, etc.

I just don't see a vast majority of users upgrading outside of tech junkies that want to take advantage of such devices. Sony offering some type of trade-in or buy back program would lessen the blow for many users though and makes sense (it would be shitty if they didn't do something!). Though I'm sure retailers will step up in the regard.

This makes the most sense, they can't be expecting the majority of people to upgrade who already own a PS4...I think more details need to be finalized before everyone starts jumping off a roof.

I would upgrade my console every five or six years. If these things get on a three year cycle, I wouldn't mind jumping on one every other cycle. It would kind of be like being on the fully numbered iPhone cycle.

Phil Spencer:

"We look at these other ecosystems out there like mobile, tablet and PC and we see that they have a very continuous evolution cycle in hardware, whereas between console generations most of the evolution is making it cheaper and potentially making it smaller.

Both are meaningful but don't make the games play any better. If you look at PC specifically and see the evolution that happens there, there's no reason why console can't ride that same curve.

It's where we're moving. Sony just seems to be further along than Microsoft does on the hardware front right now (that we know of).

This makes the most sense, they can't be expecting the majority of people to upgrade who already own a PS4...I think more details need to be finalized before everyone starts jumping off a roof.
Ppzo4us.gif

I stopped being an early adopter after the PS2. Fuck the gaming industry, I just don't care enough anymore. Bought the original PS3 slim in 09 or '10. No way I was dumping dollars on early Sony hardware anymore. Didn't bite on a PS4 or Xbone at all this gen. This gen is the same shit as last gen, just with more downloads and installs. And this VR stuff is bullshit. Just like their Move shit and their failed 3D TV obsession, this VR stuff is just more excessive, window dressing bullshit that means nothing. I want a regular controller and a console that plays fucking games. All this other junk they can shove up their ass.

MechDX

I stopped being an early adopter after the PS2. Fuck the gaming industry, I just don't care enough anymore. Bought the original PS3 slim in 09 or '10. No way I was dumping dollars on early Sony hardware anymore. Didn't bite on a PS4 or Xbone at all this gen. This gen is the same shit as last gen, just with more downloads and installs. And this VR stuff is bullshit. Just like their Move shit and their failed 3D TV obsession, this VR stuff is just more excessive, window dressing bullshit that means nothing. I want a regular controller and a console that plays fucking games. All this other junk they can shove up their ass.

Fuck it! Let's bring back the Dreamcast and use tunnelling software to play online.

Seriously

It's obvious this is what they are doing, all games will still play on the PS4 but if you want the upgraded experience you can have it, much like on PC where you can spend more for the specs or get something mid range that can play pretty much everything (like I did). I'll upgrade to the new PS4K after I already have a 4K tv and there is more 4K content for now I'll use the PSVR with my current PS4 and I'll probably just give it to my sister when I upgrade to the PS4K

To be absolutely honest, I would be more likely to buy an upgraded Xbox One than I would an upgraded PS4. Get back on my Xbox stan ways like its 05

#ComingHome
#LikeLebronWithCleveland
#ExceptWithMoreWins

Godslay

Banned
I'm fine with iterative console updates.

What is curious to me is the amount of complaining relative to the cost of these devices. Sure it's a great value to pay $300 - $500 for a machine and get 5-10 years out of it. At the same time it's such a small, small part of anyone's entertainment budget that it's laughable that they even complain about it in the first place.

I can get that some people can't afford it. That's fine, then you don't get to ride the edge. That's what any hobby amounts to. Pay to play, unless you have a hobby that doesn't have that cutting edge.

The PS4k thread is ridiculous. Everyone is acting like all games will run like shit on normal PS4's now. The PS4k will barely make a dent in PS4 sales in its first year or two. There'll be over 45 million PS4's sold at minimum by fall if it does release this year. Developers aren't going to abandon all of those people.

The trade-in thing is pretty ridiculous too, especially since it's not confirmed they won't have any offer. Even if they don't, you know that GameStop and everyone else will.

The PS4k thread is ridiculous. Everyone is acting like all games will run like shit on normal PS4's now. The PS4k will barely make a dent in PS4 sales in its first year or two. There'll be over 45 million PS4's sold at minimum by fall if it does release this year. Developers aren't going to abandon all of those people.

The trade-in thing is pretty ridiculous too, especially since it's not confirmed they won't have any offer. Even if they don't, you know that GameStop and everyone else will.

No no, it's the end of gaming as we know it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm fine with iterative console updates.

What is curious to me is the amount of complaining relative to the cost of these devices. Sure it's a great value to pay $300 - $500 for a machine and get 5-10 years out of it. At the same time it's such a small, small part of anyone's entertainment budget that it's laughable that they even complain about it in the first place.

I can get that some people can't afford it. That's fine, then you don't get to ride the edge. That's what any hobby amounts to. Pay to play, unless you have a hobby that doesn't have that cutting edge.

Right, this hobby always had a pay to play aspect...especially in the last decade or so when every year flat screens were getting cheaper, bigger, and better. Sound systems too are a serious investment if you're looking for the best audio.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Alexandra Daddario is so fucking hot.

Can't wait for Baywatch

Racist

Think I played two games online last gen, Blur and Red Dead Redemption. Fuck online play! Yep, I'm old, cranky, and yelling at kids on my lawn and I love every fucking minute of it!

My man! Online play can be fun when I'm playing with y'all but outside that I don't really give a fuck anymore.

Top Bottom