• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

One other thing I wished I could do on mobile is hit the gaf logo next to a thread to go to my next unseen post, unless there's a way to do that that I don't know. Having to go to the last page and work back kinda sucks

Same. It's the best feature, if you can use it on mobile is love to know. Ppl who exclusively use mobile prob don't even know it exists

Hey I get consent for any pictures I take, I can't speak for the rest of the internet.

Define consent
3f4053d1126f3a8490376a04bcb473fa.gif

Disagree.

The Sixers plan is currently to keep stinking and hope that they draft the next Lebron or Shaq.

The problem with their strategy to tank is they are going to lose some of these young players who are not being taught the correct things and their development is going to be stunted. So even if their miracle comes through and they get the next Cedric Ceballos, the surrounding pieces and the culture is going to be toxic and make it hard for them to win it all.

If you are going to tank you have to do it selectively and still try to find a way to coach up the young kids. If you don't get to them early they are going to develop bad habits that will dog them their entire career.

Don't agree with you at all. You can be taught the correct things without having top tier talent around you. That's about the coaching. Look at Nova for all of the evidence you want of that very thing. You don't get taught by your teammates as much as you get guided by your coaching. If anything the guys like Ish Smith probably have a much better work ethic than big names in a lot of ways because nothing comes easy to them.

It's hard to see how good of a coach Brett Brown is though because he has shit tier talent to work with. Once some of the pieces start coming together we can make a judgment on that.

The bigger problem is that even if you manage to hit on one great player and two or three good players in these drafts you're not going to hit on enough to fill out a whole team. You need to be at least somewhat appealing in free agency. No free agent is going to want to go to a team that is tanking. I think after one year of evidence that they are attempting to win any free agent is going to forget all about the tanking if there is young talent on the team.

bionic77

Don't agree with you at all. You can be taught the correct things without having top tier talent around you. That's about the coaching. Look at Nova for all of the evidence you want of that very thing. You don't get taught by your teammates as much as you get guided by your coaching. If anything the guys like Ish Smith probably have a much better work ethic than big names in a lot of ways because nothing comes easy to them.

It's hard to see how good of a coach Brett Brown is though because he has shit tier talent to work with. Once some of the pieces start coming together we can make a judgment on that.

The bigger problem is that even if you manage to hit on one great player and two or three good players in these drafts you're not going to hit on enough to fill out a whole team. You need to be at least somewhat appealing in free agency. No free agent is going to want to go to a team that is tanking. I think after one year of evidence that they are attempting to win any free agent is going to forget all about the tanking if there is young talent on the team.
I was not talking about the surrounding talent. We are talking about the same thing. Coaching and the culture of the organization. The Sixers have been set up to lose on purpose for the past few years, seemingly since Iggy left. That has to be the worst environment possible for a young player.

To contrast the best situation for a young player would be San Antonio. Kwahi was not even close to a star when they drafted him. They slowly developed him and he was lucky to get that patience and coaching and be in a winning environment where he saw that everyone else on the team put the team before their ego.

The Sixers situation reminds me of the Clippers for the longest time. They would get a lottery pick every year and that player would waste away in LA. Some of them salvaged their careers later on on different teams, but it was not a good experience for anyone. I get the exact same vibe from the Sixers.

I hope they turn it around. Not because I am a Sixers fan, but selfishly because that is where I watch live basketball and the Sixers are so horrible I don't even want to go to watch the other teams.

I was not talking about the surrounding talent. We are talking about the same thing. Coaching and the culture of the organization. The Sixers have been set up to lose on purpose for the past few years, seemingly since Iggy left. That has to be the worst environment possible for a young player.

To contrast the best situation for a young player would be San Antonio. Kwahi was not even close to a star when they drafted him. They slowly developed him and he was lucky to get that patience and coaching and be in a winning environment where he saw that everyone else on the team put the team before their ego.

The Sixers situation reminds me of the Clippers for the longest time. They would get a lottery pick every year and that player would waste away in LA. Some of them salvaged their careers later on on different teams, but it was not a good experience for anyone. I get the exact same vibe from the Sixers.

I hope they turn it around. Not because I am a Sixers fan, but selfishly because that is where I watch live basketball and the Sixers are so horrible I don't even want to go to watch the other teams.

I dunno, see when I hear players like Nerlens Noel talk and Joel Embiid talk (even though he's yet to play) or even see guys like Ish Smith talk I get good vibes about what is going one with the coaching staff and the attitudes of the players. The only one you don't get that from is Okafor. You can't say they don't play hard either, I think they do play hard, they just don't have the talent levels to compete.

If you read Hinkie's letter you can see that there's actually a lot of thought about the long term. It was never JUST about tanking, it was about tanking and slowly developing talent so that the organization can be in a position of lasting quality. I think there is probably a lot more focus on coaching these guys up and mentally supporting their development than is obvious because of all of the losing. Obviously it's something only time will tell, but Hinkie's letter really gave me insight into the fact that tanking was only HALF of the the process, the other half was development for the long term.

I just hope Colangelo and Son don't fuck it all up.

bionic77

I dunno, see when I hear players like Nerlens Noel talk and Joel Embiid talk (even though he's yet to play) or even see guys like Ish Smith talk I get good vibes about what is going one with the coaching staff and the attitudes of the players. The only one you don't get that from is Okafor. You can't say they don't play hard either, I think they do play hard, they just don't have the talent levels to compete.

If you read Hinkie's letter you can see that there's actually a lot of thought about the long term. It was never JUST about tanking, it was about tanking and slowly developing talent so that the organization can be in a position of lasting quality. I think there is probably a lot more focus on coaching these guys up and mentally supporting their development than is obvious because of all of the losing. Obviously it's something only time will tell, but Hinkie's letter really gave me insight into the fact that tanking was only HALF of the the process, the other half was development for the long term.

I just hope Colangelo and Son don't fuck it all up.
I never thought it was complicated.

You bring in a coach who has proven he can develop talent. And then the GM surrounds the young guys with a mix of stars and veterans so they can balance winning and developing the young guys of the future.

I can't prove it but I think having KG play the old ass bum teacher on the court really helped the Wolves. I think they could compete next year with a competent coach and a few vets in FA.

JABEE

Sam Hinkie's excerpts make him sound smart, but he also sounds like a crazy person and that is okay.

People will talk about it for years. It's like he was writing it as an ethos for some sports management class down the line

squicken

I'm with bionic on the culture of losing. You can't expose the young guys to that for too long or they give up. Or expect to lose. Quit when it gets hard. It's just human nature when you try your hardest and it has no effect on the outcome

But it seemed to me that the 76ers were in a place where they had enough picks that they could hang on to one or two guys who showed promise, and get rid of the anyone that showed even the slightest bit of the malaise of losing

And yeah I wouldn't put it past the league to fix the lottery against them. After "basketball reasons", they are not above suspicion for anything

bionic77

I'm with bionic on the culture of losing. You can't expose the young guys to that for too long or they give up. Or expect to lose. Quit when it gets hard. It's just human nature when you try your hardest and it has no effect on the outcome

But it seemed to me that the 76ers were in a place where they had enough picks that they could hang on to one or two guys who showed promise, and get rid of the anyone that showed even the slightest bit of the malaise of losing

And yeah I wouldn't put it past the league to fix the lottery against them. After "basketball reasons", they are not above suspicion for anything
Laker fans have suffered enough.

Somehow the Lakers need to get the first 3 picks.

Do it commish!

Man I want nothing to do with a Hillary presidency. She has all the negatives that come with being a Clinton, but none of the positives. I really wish if the Dems were so determined to ram a woman in that they picked a better one.

It should have been Elizabeth Warren. Though she's pissed off enough people that the party likely wouldn't have aligned behind her.

squicken

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis
Broncos HC Gary Kubiak has relationship with Manziel as Texas A&M alums. Kubiak checked in with Manziel after QB release from CLE #9news

Kubiak had long onfield talk with Manziel following Gm 6 in CLE. Kubiak cares about him but Johnny Football wont be a Bronco #9news #9sports

please Elway

bionic77

Hmm I think we should get exit interviews for all perm members!

I'm down with this, I mean it's been like 6 years without a championship!!! WTH!!
Don't even need a championship next season.

I just want a team that I can watch that doesn't make me want to throw up.

Does Cedric Ceballos have any kids that are of age yet? Someone look into this...

Eagles fans what is this about some sex scandal Pederson was involved in during his stay in KC
please Elway
Pretty sure Elway/Broncos already quickly shot this down. No one is touching him for awhile if ever

Also The new grand jury is expected to be seated within a week to 10 days on Manziels case.

Hindl

Eagles fans what is this about some sex scandal Pederson was involved in during his stay in KC

Pretty sure Elway/Broncos already quickly shot this down. No one is touching him for awhile if ever

Also The new grand jury is expected to be seated within a week to 10 days on Manziels case.

Oh my. This hasn't hit the Philadelphia media yet, so I don't think any of us really know about it. We'll see if this gets traction. This is the more interesting part of the story:

Reid also is said to have made up the stuff about Pederson calling plays at times in the 2015 season to help get him another job. The report says Big Red was pumping Pederson up to the Eagles, hoping to land his friend a position while knowing Pederson would not be able to return to Kansas City.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2016/04/07/doug-pederson-allegedly-had-sex-scandal-in-kc/

Right now the source is Barstool, and I'm not sure how they are about breaking news. But this seems like the type of thing that, if true, should come out pretty quickly

OMG if this is true. I love how the texts from the NFL guy keep referring to Howie as not a real football guy. Man if the Eagles fucked this up so badly because they were so desperate to get a HC that was the opposite of Chip. jnc.

Trying to drive a wedge between darkest and I!? I expected this from a pats fan...but not a browns fan...smh Wherever you are Darkest, don't listen to him, you'll always be my dolphins-bro.

You did that yourself mr. become a rams fan with Fantomex. You and Fantomex are the California versions of Firemam Ed then.

Laker fans have suffered enough.

Somehow the Lakers need to get the first 3 picks.

Do it commish!

I'm down with this, I mean it's been like 6 years without a championship!!! WTH!!

Fuck the Lakers.

Mindlog

Today is National Beer Day.
Another hour and we can start celebrating.

Cleveland is going to Tampa Bay? I hope the Bucs put the tarp down. That's how the MRSA got there last time.

Top Bottom