• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

Hell RG3 ended up flaming out after 2 years and that trade still didn't destroy the Redskins the way people predicted it would have. At the end of the day you are giving up a handful of players (rookies at that) over the next few years, most of which are out of the first round, which means they are largely crap shoots to begin with. It might hurt your depth a bit but it's not going to set your franchise back a decade.

The damage of these trades gets overstated but this was really really an odd draft to make a play like this

effzee

They just might, if Chip is allowed to handle the trade negotiations for the Niners.

Yeah remember when he traded all those picks away for Marcus?

This is just odd because the Rams have won on so many trades and other deals in the past several years. I don't think a team has fucked over other teams as much as the Rams have been able to do.

They've been kinda blah at evaluating talent though and not a lot came from all that.

You win the trade if whatever you get in return works in your favor and makes you better.

No one won the Rams-Racists trade. And if people still insist on naming a winner, Racists are still in better shape today than the Rams.

So this is the outcome of it leaking that Texans like Dak. Jokes on you Mech!
image.php

But really the best thing that can happen is if the Rams announce who they want today. So Browns can focus on the other guy or start taking trade offers

effzee

People exaggerate these kinds of trades. Yeah it wasn't a move I would make but that's mostly because I don't think there is a clear cut franchise QB out there, but if the Rams think that guy is Wentz or Goff then it's not the worst thing in the world. People acting like they will be unable to field a team or something, they are giving up like 4-5 potential players, off a 53 man roster, over the next three years. It's not some franchise crippling move.

Hell RG3 ended up flaming out after 2 years and that trade still didn't destroy the Redskins the way people predicted it would have. At the end of the day you are giving up a handful of players (rookies at that) over the next few years, most of which are out of the first round, which means they are largely crap shoots to begin with. It might hurt your depth a bit but it's not going to set your franchise back a decade.

What's with you shitting this thread up with logic? Didn't you know draft picks are gold, worth more than even proven good players, and thus you can't trade any away!!!

I'd be super happy had the Eagles moved up had they not resigned Bradford and brought in Chase. They could still now nab a decent prospect in later rounds but who gives a shit what you give up if you get your franchise QB in return? You can fill holes from later rounds, waiver wire, or developing your own.

Like I wouldn't be mad at all if the Eagles gave up 4-5 picks from the later rounds to consolidate all their picks to rounds 1-3.

MechDX

image.php

But really the best thing that can happen is if the Rams announce who they want today. So Browns can focus on the other guy or start taking trade offers

You're welcome. Dont know how this really effects the Steelers though

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yeah remember when he traded all those picks away for Marcus?

You win the trade if whatever you get in return works in your favor and makes you better.

No one won the Rams-Racists trade. And if people still insist on naming a winner, Racists are still in better shape today than the Rams.

Nah I think the winner of the trade is still determined before those picks are used in most situations. I still see that trade as RG3 vs all those picks just like this is a trade for Goff/Wentz vs picks.

The problem is that St Louis didn't have very successful drafts as a result. A smart and capable GM and scouting staff brings home a haul in those situations. So in my eyes St Louis won the trade itself but then fucked up their assets.

Hindl

Think SD passes on Ramsey for Tunsil?

Great trade for the Titans. Fuck FIsher.

Toss up really, Chargers really need O Line help. But CB is also a need and Ramsey is a special talent. I'd personally prefer they take Ramsey to keep him from Cowboys. If that happens I wonder how far Tunsil falls, probably to 6 at best. Can't see the Ravens passing him up

lol why would the Rams announce their pick anytime before draft time and in the process help the other teams of the nfl...?
Just quote me ignorant sloot.
and to be nice to me. They have no one ahead of them, begin contract negotiations. Courtesy to me!

In all honestly we're all gonna find out what the pick is probably soon one way or the other

Edit: Presser is at 4pm

I am only glad Eagles didn't considering what they have tied up in Bradford and Chase.

This trade, and the compensation, wouldn't bother me 1 bit last year or even this year had the Eagles not retained Bradford.

If the Titans would have taken this last year the Eagles would have done it in a second. The Rams really didnt give up all that much at all, the problem for them is that neither guy this year is close to as good a prospect as the 2 QBs where last year

MechDX

This also moves up the draft value of Cook and Lynch. If Goff and Wentz go one and two Other QB needy teams will rush to draft a QB early. They know they would have to get in front of Denver at 31 to get one of the two

Striker

Toss up really, Chargers really need O Line help. But CB is also a need and Ramsey is a special talent. I'd personally prefer they take Ramsey to keep him from Cowboys. If that happens I wonder how far Tunsil falls, probably to 6 at best. Can't see the Ravens passing him up
JAC can pick Tunsil even though they do need defensive help. Wasn't Joeckel a rumor in trades?

Line_HTX

image.php

Why would we want Dak? He's unimpressive.

*Back hands BG's face

effzee

So now the #2 pick is very intriguing. Reports that Browns want Goff. Reports they don't want a QB and looking to trade down.

Reports Eagles looking to move up. Maybe SF.

Man if the Eagles really aren't in the top 10 for a QB, there is great chance that the player they really want just drops to them at 8. Depends on who that is. If they are targeting OL, could Tunsil drop to them?

rando14

So now the #2 pick is very intriguing. Reports that Browns want Goff. Reports they don't want a QB and looking to trade down.

Reports Eagles looking to move up. Maybe SF.

Man if the Eagles really aren't in the top 10 for a QB, there is great chance that the player they really want just drops to them at 8. Depends on who that is. If they are targeting OL, could Tunsil drop to them?

Dont chargers need OL bad? They should take Tunsil probly

effzee

If the Titans would have taken this last year the Eagles would have done it in a second. The Rams really didnt give up all that much at all, the problem for them is that neither guy this year is close to as good a prospect as the 2 QBs where last year

Right I meant overall I wouldn't give a shit about what they give up to move up if the prospect demanded it.

I'd much rather have Marcus as the QB today then Bradford or Chase as possible starters. If that also meant including Cox, then so be it. QB above all.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
That's a lot of compensation the Rams gave up for that pick. To the trade chart!

So, 15 to 1 is 1950 points.

43rd pick = 470
45th pick = 450
76th pick = 210
Future 1st rounder = 1000
Future 3rd rounder = 200

Minus their return
113th pick = 68
177th pick = 20

Total = -112 (or around a mid 4th rounder)

According to the chart, the trade is pretty close. It's dependent, of course, on the Rams' finishing position this season.

Lenz44

Banned
Bleh, that complicates the Broncos search for a QB. I have no idea what's going to happen now. The poor Browns though, taking an L early on this season. The real winner of this trade is whichever QB isn't going to be the sacrificial lamb in Cleveland.

Striker

It's possible, I just can't imagine the Jags passing on Jack. He's a perfect combo of BPA and need for them

Telvin Smith is a similar player I thought as Jack but having two of those dudes on defense is appetizing. That said, it's a good question because if Joeckel isn't the answer at LT, and Tunsil's available, you take him and forget about that spot for a long time. There's your franchise QB's blindside protection.

I want the Giants to desperately to get Jack and this might help. Though worried about Eagles grabbing him. :(

Eleuin

The draft is a crapshoot but the titans should be able to get at least 2 impact players right

They can't fuck this up worst than the rams did

effzee

Telvin Smith is a similar player I thought as Jack but having two of those dudes on defense is appetizing. That said, it's a good question because if Joeckel isn't the answer at LT, and Tunsil's available, you take him and forget about that spot for a long time. There's your franchise QB's blindside protection.

I want the Giants to desperately to get Jack and this might help. Though worried about Eagles grabbing him. :(

I think if he is there at 8 and the other top talents are CB, OT, or RB, the Eagles run to the podium to get Jack.

I'd love to see him in the Eagles green.

squicken

Jack and Ramsey will be gone before the Eagles pick at 8. Dallas could get Ramsey, though. If they get the draft's best player by staying put at 4, Jerry better build Jordan Hicks a statue

I think the Jags have to go defense, even if Tunsil is there

effzee

Man what were the lambs thinking? That is an awful trade. Sent to a new city to die.

But why is it awful? Titans have their franchise QB so they can afford to move back and get best OT or BPA at their new spot.

Plus butt load of picks to build around and for Marcus.

Rams don't have a QB. And that means you have nothing, no chance. So they give up 4-5 players from this draft + next years (combined), but in return they get a franchise QB (potentially). I think its worth the potential of a franchise QB vs 4-5 players at other spots when they have a higher chance of being wasted picks.

Plus new CBA and rookie wage scale makes it so easy to take a QB at 1 and move on from him if needed within 2-3 years.

People exaggerate these kinds of trades. Yeah it wasn't a move I would make but that's mostly because I don't think there is a clear cut franchise QB out there, but if the Rams think that guy is Wentz or Goff then it's not the worst thing in the world. People acting like they will be unable to field a team or something, they are giving up like 4-5 potential players, off a 53 man roster, over the next three years. It's not some franchise crippling move.
Especially with the rookie wage cap in place. Had it been years ago when you had to shell out 50-60 million dollars for a first round pick it was far more debilitating than it is now.

But why is it awful? Titans have their franchise QB so they can afford to move back and get best OT or BPA at their new spot.

Plus butt load of picks to build around and for Marcus.

Rams don't have a QB. And that means you have nothing, no chance. So they give up 4-5 players from this draft + next years (combined), but in return they get a franchise QB (potentially). I think its worth the potential of a franchise QB vs 4-5 players at other spots when they have a higher chance of being wasted picks.

Plus new CBA and rookie wage scale makes it so easy to take a QB at 1 and move on from him if needed within 2-3 years.

It's great for the Titans.

Rams don't have a QB true, but they don't have a draft left to rebuild the team around him for two years, and this years QB crop isn't earth shattering. I wouldn't spend that much to move up to get a QB that isn't even NFL ready. I don't buy that other ones have a "higher chance of being wasted picks" either.

Hindl

Yeah Jacksonville has a pretty good offense, they just had no defense last year. This FA they went out and spent a bunch to shore up the DLine and Secondary, so adding Jack would complement Smith like you said and solidify their D.

And unfortunately there's no way Jack gets to 8, much less 10, unless something crazy happens. Eagles are probably going to need to trade up to get him, which I'd be fine with. But no way Jack makes it past the Eagles, we're in a similar spot where he would be the BPA and fill need. Our LB starters are Nigel Bradham, Jordan Hicks, and Kendricks. Hicks and Kendricks are injury prone, and adding Jack for depth/eventually take over Kendricks would be amazing

effzee

It's great for the Titans.

Rams don't have a QB true, but they don't have a draft left to rebuild the team around him for two years, and this years QB crop isn't earth shattering. I wouldn't spend that much to move up to get a QB that isn't even NFL ready. I don't buy that other ones have a "higher chance of being wasted picks" either.

I am just going by the #s. What % of picks ever make or exceed their expectations? Even teams who draft well year in and out have busts and only 1-2 impact players emerge outof the bunch they select.

The trick is those teams that "draft well" usually have a franchise QB set who can cover up some of the mistakes, lack of talent, and blemishes. Just look at the Rams. They picked up how many picks from the RG3 trade? How did that work out for them?

Godslay

Banned
Crazy trade.

I still hope they land Tyrod/Kaep in that order, but if they don't I'd be okay with adding another guy like Keenum and a rookie and letting them battle it out.

Really, I'd like to see them continue to stack up on D and just destroy QBs. If we can get roughly the same production on D, with a slight uptick on O... they should be fine. Still the deepest D in the division and maybe the league.

Wonder how true this is official graphic and all...

Cf9_9lQVIAAQbtV.jpg

I am just going by the #s. What % of picks ever make or exceed their expectations? Even teams who draft well year in and out have busts and only 1-2 impact players emerge outof the bunch they select.

The trick is those teams that "draft well" usually have a franchise QB set who can cover up some of the mistakes, lack of talent, and blemishes. Just look at the Rams. They picked up how many picks from the RG3 trade? How did that work out for them?

What happens when it's the QB who busts after you give up a draft and a half for them?

Here's the other thing about this trade that is bothersome to me. Nearly every expert I've seen talk about Wentz or Goff has said that they need a year on the bench. They are not players who can come in and make a difference year one. What is the value of the 2017 1st round pick going to be when you literally have not been able to draft a single difference maker for your team in 2016? Their record is likely going to be WORSE than 2016, not better, so the value of that #1 could be much higher. It's not impossible that they are the bottom of the NFC west next year. If they didn't have those fluke wins over the Seahawks and Cardinals last year they'd be in the basement. I still have no clue how the Seahawks dropped those two games.

MechDX

Could the Titans be at play for Wilkerson now? They have the extra draft picks and the cap space to give him the contract he wants.

Top Bottom