• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

squicken

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
I LOVE the draft but this one felt like it was missing some juice. This trade provided a much needed spark.

100% agree with this. This year has just not been interesting to me. I have no idea about any of the 2nd round guys. But with this, and all the added trade speculation that now comes in the fallout, I am definitely looking forward to the next couple of weeks

This list was posted on the eagles message board, it is supposed to be every 1st round QB since 1999. Man there are waaaaaaaaaaaaay more busts then good players on this list. Good luck to the Rams because they are gonna need it.
1999 - Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith, Daunte Culpepper, Cade McNown
2000 - Chad Pennington
2001 - Michael Vick, Drew Brees
2002 - David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey
2003 - Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman
2004 - Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, J. P. Losman
2005 - Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell
2006 - Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler
2007 - JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn
2008 - Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco
2009 - Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman
2010 - Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow
2011 - Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder
2012 - Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin II, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden

Damn. Ben lost so much weight this offseason, history forgot he was even drafted!

Ben, Eli, Rivers...'04 was truly the last great QB class.

I'm on it! When do you guys want me to turn the summary in? I had the Rams taking Laquon Treadwell when we were picking 15th. But this is just bananas. .The safe bet would be an OT, but I'm sure pressure from ownership will have us going Goff or Wentz.

Well your the first pick so anytime between now and the 18th when we official start, so no rush you got time.

kaiju

This list was posted on the eagles message board, it is supposed to be every 1st round QB since 1999. Man there are waaaaaaaaaaaaay more busts then good players on this list. Good luck to the Rams because they are gonna need it.
2000 - Chad Pennington

2007 Jesus Christ

giphy.gif

Fantomex

Why not just start the mock now?

I'm already typing it up. So I can have it today. It's my birthday, so it's fitting. It's gotta be Wentz. Has to be. I'm gonna start reading all the articles today, from what I hear, Goff is too much of a system QB, with horrible reads.

1. More people need to sign up. It's pretty bare and I'm not doing all of those picks.
2. I don't have time to run it until next week.

If someone else wants to? Have at it!

No let's wait till next week, I have a feeling nobody is prepared anyways. I can help out though, my one class hasn't been the time sink I thought it would be.

I'm already typing it up. So I can have it today. It's my birthday, so it's fitting. It's gotta be Wentz. Has to be. I'm gonna start reading all the articles today, from what I hear, Goff is too much of a system QB, with horrible reads.

If you want good write ups on all QBs from someone who really knows their shit check this out http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1so8d9r

Edit: Oh yeah and Happy Birthday!!

bigosc2k

Banned
2000 - Chad Pennington
Awe yeah Sexy Rexy the qb who unleashed the dragon.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/04/giants_digging_deep_into_safety_prospects_includin.html

The Giants are looking closely at some of the top safeties.

• West Virginia's Karl Joseph, considered by most the top safety in the draft, is set to have a pre-draft visit, according to the Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson.

• Ohio State's Vonn Bell already met with the Giants, an individual with knowledge of the situation told NJ Advance Media.

• Fellow Ohio State safety Tyvis Powell and Bell had secondary coach/safeties Dave Merritt work them out in Columbus several weeks back, according to a source with knowledge of the workout. They're considered two of the better cover safeties in the draft.

• Boston College's Justin Simmons is a player the Giants have definite interest in as well. They've been sniffing around Simmons now for months, and he impressed during a formal NFL Scouting Combine interview and workouts. The Giants were also watching closely at his Pro Day.

It all jibes with what new coach Ben McAdoo said last month at the NFL Annual Meeting.

"Just because you don't make a splash early doesn't mean you can't find a piece later on and in the draft as well," McAdoo said. "There are some nice players in the draft."

I would love Von Bell in Rd 2 for the Giants.

Greg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

MechDX

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 4m4 minutes ago
#Titans GM Jon Robinson says he had multiple offers for No. 1 overall pick. #Eagles one of them until withdrew earlier in week, per source

Guess the Eagles interest is real. Still makes no damn sense
Bill Barnwell ‏@billbarnwell 26m26 minutes ago
.@ESPNStatsInfo's list of QBs acquired via trades into the top-5 since 1990: RG3, Sanchize, Mike Vick, Ryan Leaf, Kerry Collins, Jeff George

cringe.gif

bionic77

Crazy that 2004 had 3 good QBs when most years can't even get one.
With the new rules why is it so hard to find a franchise qb?

I wonder if teams learned the wrong lesson from Big Ben's immediate success. Maybe these young guys need a whole season underneath them to pick up an offense before you throw them into the fire.

Guess the Eagles interest is real. Still makes no damn sense
You just don't understand the genius of Howie. Sign a starter for over $20m, then sign a backup to the biggest contract for a backup in the whole league, then trade a bunch of picks to draft a QB. All just to show that you can do what Chip couldn't.

#spitemoves

cdyhybrid

You just don't understand the genius of Howie. Sign a starter for over $20m, then sign a backup to the biggest contract for a backup in the whole league, then trade a bunch of picks to draft a QB. All just to show that you can do what Chip couldn't.

#spitemoves

Eagles trading four firsts for Mariota confirmed.

gutshot

#spitemoves

I've been generally complementary of Howie's moves this offseason so far. But you are right. If this is how it goes down, he screwed up in free agency badly. You don't sign a guy to a big money one-year prove-it deal, only to turn around and give up a bunch of picks for the chance to draft the future of your franchise. Stupid.

100% agree with this. This year has just not been interesting to me. I have no idea about any of the 2nd round guys. But with this, and all the added trade speculation that now comes in the fallout, I am definitely looking forward to the next couple of weeks

This draft isn't sexy because outside of Elliott, the offensive skill positions are kinda weak. This is a huge DL draft

Hindl

Tunsil or Ramsey then? They're the only other ones who are top pick worthy.

Probably not to the top pick, but trading to the Chargers for Myles Jack would totally be worth it. You can basically leave him on the field for every down. In Nickel packages he can just as easily be the Nickel CB. Him and Hicks would be great together if they can both stay healthy

Colasante

I agree. For me that's caused by the Patriots not having a first round pick, but it also just doesn't seem like the most interesting draft. Now at the very least we have some intriguing storylines to follow, like which QB the Rams pick and seeing how well the Titans manage to restock their defense.

squicken

Other losers in this draft are HOU, IND and JAX. If TEN drafts decent, this is a total franchise changer. When DAL made the Walker trade, the first draft afterwards, Jimmy took Aikman, Wiesnewski, Moose, Stepnoski, and Tony Tolbert

Still thinking this is an on-going smokescreen designed to get someone else to fall or just to screw with Chip Kelly and hope he outbids himself for the #2 pick.

It just doesn't make sense for the Eagles to trade up for a QB when they essentially signed Bradford to a one-year prove-it deal. If they are going to invest a lot of resources into a future franchise QB, someone who is going to be the face of the franchise, why bring Bradford back at all? It just makes things awkward. They would have just signed Daniel to be the bridge guy and eventual backup and use that Bradford money to re-sign Fletch. The way they did it screams drafting a 3rd-string developmental QB in the later rounds (Prescott? Hackenberg?).

The only way it makes sense, given the way the offseason played out, is if they had planned all along to give Bradford one more shot but then were completely blown away by Wentz and/or Goff and now just want to get him. Poor planning, if that is the case.

I heard rumblings a while ago about Bradford's deal being trade friendly. Could he possibly go back to Chip after all?

MechDX

Other losers in this draft are HOU, IND and JAX. If TEN drafts decent, this is a total franchise changer. When DAL made the Walker trade, the first draft afterwards, Jimmy took Aikman, Wiesnewski, Moose, Stepnoski, and Tony Tolbert

Mike Mularkey is the next Jimmy Johnson. Brilliant!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
With the new rules why is it so hard to find a franchise qb?

I wonder if teams learned the wrong lesson from Big Ben's immediate success. Maybe these young guys need a whole season underneath them to pick up an offense before you throw them into the fire.

College systems don't translate as well to the pros. Hell I don't think any system before the NFL is conducive to developing a pro QB.

I'm pretty sure it all comes down to how the NFL has freak atheletes on defense and other levels just don't have to worry about that.

Going forward, it'll get worse with the CTE stuff. Expect to see some awesome pitchers and more atheletes in MLB in about 20 years though.

College systems don't translate as well to the pros. Hell I don't think any system before the NFL is conducive to developing a pro QB.

I'm pretty sure it all comes down to how the NFL has freak atheletes on defense and other levels just don't have to worry about that.

Going forward, it'll get worse with the CTE stuff. Expect to see some awesome pitchers and more atheletes in MLB in about 20 years though.

This has to be a huge concern for Wentz. Speed of the game for him from college is going to go up 200%

Colasante

Glad to hear Louis Riddick will be replacing Ray Lewis on ESPN's draft coverage this year after filling in for him last year. What a huge improvement that will be. Now they just need to have Trey Wingo finally replace Berman as host on the first day of the draft.

Top Bottom