• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

0dk8bQf_zpsjtyt2boa.png

He wants to go home.

RBH, what are you willing to give back in a trade?

Let's set the opening price at say....the Falcons' entire draft. How's that work?

Maybe....

In this particular draft I don't think it's that big of a deal, if you have a player you want who'll be there at 13th why not trade down from the 8th? I was fine with Miami trading down anyways, this is a weak elite class anyways.

lol how can you say who will be there at 13? the dolphins can surmise that a player they want will be there either way. but we know what the draft is. you can't predict if a team moves up who you didn't expect to be picking above you.

just going by the draft chart (i know it's not always followed), jumping from 13 to 8 should cost a team a late 2nd rounder (350 point difference). dolphins are getting fleeced hard ON PAPER (maybe they draft a hall of famer at 13 who knows!) if this is true

lol how can you say who will be there at 13? the dolphins can surmise that a player they want will be there either way. but we know what the draft is. you can't predict if a team moves up who you didn't expect to be picking above you.

just going by the draft chart (i know it's not always followed), jumping from 13 to 8 should cost a team a late 2nd rounder (350 point difference). dolphins are getting fleeced hard ON PAPER (maybe they draft a hall of famer at 13 who knows!) if this is true

Well you did hear that the report isn't even true right? I don't know what the teams follow with regards to draft picks and what's fair, doesn't seem bad to me but I'm not the one making the shots.

LJ11

but then at that point why bother having higher picks? why bother having picks at all, your drafting is shit so who cares? bottom line is you want to have a higher pick. we can show examples throughout history of a 13 pick outperforming an 8 pick and vice versa. you would never want the lower pick, especially considering you got 1 junk player and 1 injury prone player who didn't know how to properly run the defense.... AND you tack on their contracts on top of that.

stupid trade for the dolphins on paper but only time can tell for sure!

as for kap, if we trade him for a 4th i'll be kind of pissed. i think he has a good chance to succeed with kelly but he's too butthurt to take the chance. he can say he is upset about being benched but what did he expect? he was fucking terrible.

FMT, you can call the trade stupid based on these factors, but teams trade down all the time and find success while doing so because their grades are good and they get good return for moving down. You don't want to move down for poor return, I think we all agree with that, but moving down 5 slots shouldn't kill you, especially if you get good return for the trade down. So yes, teams do want a lower pick when they get good return and their grades have players slotted in similar spots. It's too absolute to say that teams never want the lower pick, they do if they're compensated for it. Now you feel the comp is shit, and that's fair point to bring up, but you can't say no one would take the lower pick unless of course we remove all forms of compensation, then yeah, no one would ever trade down.

0dk8bQf_zpsjtyt2boa.png

He wants to go home.

RBH, what are you willing to give back in a trade?

Let's set the opening price at say....the Falcons' entire draft. How's that work?

It seems like a lifetime ago when people were complaining about you being his hype man. Deep down, he has a name in your heart.

I sometimes wonder if Stafford's inaccurate kill-balls shortened Calvin Johnson's career.

Why do you ask questions you already know the answers too..

FMT, you can call the trade stupid based on these factors, but teams trade down all the time and find success while doing so because their grades are good and they get good return for moving down. You don't want to move down for poor return, I think we all agree with that, but moving down 5 slots shouldn't kill you, especially if you get good return for the trade down. So yes, teams do want a lower pick when they get good return and their grades have players slotted in similar spots. It's too absolute to say that teams never want the lower pick, they do if they're compensated for it. Now you feel the comp is shit, and that's fair point to bring up, but you can't say no one would take the lower pick unless of course we remove all forms of compensation, then yeah, no one would ever trade down.

i'm saying in general, with no other compensation considered. would you rather have the 8th pick or the 13th pick? you are probably going to get a better player (maybe not, but you would think you will) and you also have the ability to maneuver on draft day IF needed and the draft is panning out the way that you want it to

Godslay

Banned
Elway not raising his max to Oz?

The consensus is that Elway won't get in a bidding war with the Texans. If the Texans offer more than what Denver is offering, don't be surprised if Elway stays put at his original offer.

If rumors are true, the contract proposed to Oz has been out there for about 10 days. With no contact from Oz's camp towards the Broncos.

You know how it is. Smoke and bs all around right now, so who knows what is true and what is false.

I do know that the deal is $45M over 3, but nobody really knows how realistic that contract really is. Should see something soon though.

I'd like Brock back, but right now it's sounding 50/50.

The consensus is that Elway won't get in a bidding war with the Texans. If the Texans offer more than what Denver is offering, don't be surprised if Elway stays put at his original offer.

If rumors are true, the contract proposed to Oz has been out there for about 10 days. With no contact from Oz's camp towards the Broncos.

You know how it is. Smoke and bs all around right now, so who knows what is true and what is false.

I do know that the deal is $45M over 3, but nobody really knows how realistic that contract really is. Should see something soon though.

I'd like Brock back, but right now it's sounding 50/50.

just curious why you'd want him back. a guy who could barely throw the ball over 10 yards replaced him and won a superbowl after brock sputtered out. if brock can't win with that incredible defense he can't win at all in this league

Why do you kick us when we're down :(

Dutch pls

Our friend needs support in these trying times.

Damn... Vicious.

I just want my BFF to root for the same team as me :(

Also, you people should really look up some history. The Dolphins got a great deal here. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, did you guys know that? Imagine who a QB-needy time like the Dolphins can draft in the 4th round.

cdyhybrid

just curious why you'd want him back. a guy who could barely throw the ball over 10 yards replaced him and won a superbowl after brock sputtered out. if brock can't win with that incredible defense he can't win at all in this league
That defense ain't there anymore too. Not as a whole anyway.

I thought he played decently in his action, didn't set the world on fire or anything though.

Godslay

Banned

He was 5-2, and did contribute significantly to those wins. The offense was a dump no matter who was the QB, and imo it was more systemic than just the QB. In the two losses with him at the helm, Antonio Brown lit up the defense and which surrendered a big lead Oz built up in the first half. Against the Raiders, it was a shit show on the OL. You can't expect to give up 5 sacks and have a good day at QB.

Drops, bad OL play, and some bad playcalling really crippled the offense for the majority of the year. Add in that whenever they held a lead, the offense went full blown conservative mode.

Yes, Brock has his warts like hanging on to the ball a bit too long, but I did see honest flashes of a good QB in there. Just needs that time on the field to flesh everything out.

Maybe I'm off, but I liked what I saw. Or maybe PM was just that bad that anything else looked great...

That defense ain't there anymore too. Not as a whole anyway.

I thought he played decently in his action, didn't set the world on fire or anything though.

It will be hard to play at that level YoY, but most of the defense will be back. Jackson will be missed, as will Trevathan. They do have guys waiting in the wings though, so it should be okay. We do need more reliable offense though.

I was going to post my thoughts on what the Dolphins have been doing but I'll wait until tomorrow at least since the details still aren't out. All I know is they better keep Wake, otherwise I'm an LA Rams fan.

Line_HTX

Damn, so Gronk got the rest of his option picked up yesterday, and now with his remaining contract, he is severely underpaid as a Tight End.

Sanjuro

I proved him wrong in the regular season. He is just hot for Brock!

7xauR0o.jpg

I
Also, you people should really look up some history. The Dolphins got a great deal here. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, did you guys know that? Imagine who a QB-needy time like the Dolphins can draft in the 4th round.
Yeah cause that happens every day

And again with the shade on the dolphins..

I was going to post my thoughts on what the Dolphins have been doing but I'll wait until tomorrow at least since the details still aren't out. All I know is they better keep Wake, otherwise I'm an LA Rams fan.

You know they won't.. They just want hurt you.. Stop letting them. Be like the West Coast version of Fireman Ed except with the Rams.

Fantomex

Friend, they're releasing Wake and taking the franchise tag off of Vernon

Tom Penny

ok? i'm not saying you can't find a good player at either 8 or 13, but to just brush it off and say ehhhh it's more or less the same, no biggie! isn't accurate

Looking at the last 5-6 years..the players were better at the 13th pick then 8th. At the end of the day you have to pick the right player and you are going to crap out over 1 out 3 in the 1st round.

Isn't a primary factor in the Pats prolonged success their ability to trade down and still produce contributing players? A strategy the Seahawks have emulated to some degree?

Godslay

Banned
Hey Godslay, in case you missed it:

Sounds about right, but I also believe that there is value in letting guys continue to develop.

It was his first year on the field. You are going to see everything you saw in Brock. The ups the downs, indecision, bad decisions, etc. When he did play well though, you could see that he could not only be feasible, but a decent QB maybe even a good one.

He still needs time on the field of course, I'm fine with letting him develop for a couple years with us as long as we are seeing movement in the right direction. We can't expect Manning 2.0 in Osweiler, we are on a different curve now.

Duxxy3

Isn't a primary factor in the Pats prolonged success their ability to trade down and still produce contributing players? A strategy the Seahawks have emulated to some degree?

Past the 4th round the Patriots are just as average as anybody else.

They almost never miss on first rounders. They have good success with second rounders, but Bill likes to pull derp moves once in a while in that round for some reason. Third and fourth round selections are probably above average.

Past the 4th round the Patriots are just as average as anybody else.

They almost never miss on first rounders. They have good success with second rounders, but Bill likes to pull derp moves once in a while in that round for some reason. Third and fourth round selections are probably above average.

I feel like that's probably fine though. Like if you stock pile enough cheap guys in the third through fifth rounds that you can count on as rotation guys and so on then you're probably gonna come out in the long term. Isn't that sort of the Packer's model as well? Like some large % of the cap goes to a small number of players who are stars and the rest goes to back ups/role players.

I'm not saying you keep hoping to land Richard Sherman's in the back half of the drat, but you try to find guys who can play nickel or whatever instead of spending a bajillion dollars in free agency on them.

MechDX

As for the Texans going after Brock I'm happy they are at least making legit attempts at fixing the QB issue. What they or the Broncos pay him is relative to the entire league QB values. 16-18 a year only places him as the 20th highest paid.

Bigger question is why/how does O'Brien know him? Just watching the same tape we all have access to? If he signs with Houston the question will arise did he talk during the last two seasons joint practices with the Broncos and will that start to sway some league front offices from participating in those?

I'm not sold 100% on him but if they sign Brock, Miller , Benjamin and Brooks back I would call that a success. Frees them up in the draft to just take BPA almost every round

Top Bottom