• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

The Browns plan consists of funneling gas vouchers through the front office

jimmy-halsman-laughing.gif

The Browns plan consists of convincing Lebron James to play football.

Caja 117

If he wins, Brady his "support" no matter how much of it is actually political, possible could have helped him.

If he loses, then it doesn't matter either way.

I wish I could think like that, but Trump politics are things that I cant ignore, in part because of where I come from, and the Key figures of the Pats organization showing support to Trump has just made loose a lot of sympathy to the team to the point I think I'm not going to be following them for a while, In my mind anyone that endorse, or support Trump is just a racist scum and wont get my respect no matter who it is.

Colasante

Has there been any word on why the Browns yanked the Mitchell Schwartz contract? $7.5M per year seemed pretty favorable to the team.

effzee

Don't get why fans get so worked up about the cost of getting FAs.

First the argument is FA doesn't work which is BS. Draft picks pan out less than 50% of the time yet no one writes the draft off and says we won't participate. 2nd argument about money is dumb cause a. its not your money and b. the cap is going up and keeps going up every year. Team are generally good at restructuring contracts and lowering cap hits. Vets get cut every year as part of the annual 1/3 roster turnover.

Seems like team and FO's have fans convinced spending in FA is a sin as part if PR. You should want your team and owner to spend money especially at guys who are 1-3 years into their career and right around their peak.

I mean, yeah, I was truly shocked.

Broncos beat the Patriots at home and the Patriots beat the Broncos at home is almost an absolute truth.

Game is in Denver again this year!

Magic happens every year.

The Browns plan consists of doing just enough to keep season ticket holders buying tickets

They don't though. We just are too stupid/loyal to keep buying/supporting them.

The Browns plan consists of funneling gas vouchers through the front office

Learned how to fleece people from his former bootlegging associates in the Steel City :)

I wish I could think like that, but Trump politics are things that I cant ignore, in part because of where I come from, and the Key figures of the Pats organization showing support to Trump has just made loose a lot of sympathy to the team to the point I think I'm not going to be following them for a while, In my mind anyone that endorse, or support Trump is just a racist scum and wont get my respect no matter who it is.

I'm still on the fence. My position can change, if they continue to publicly support him, I might actually pull the plug as well for at least a year. I've supported them through all the bullshit, but publically endorsing Trump...

Man

First the argument is FA doesn't work which is BS. Draft picks pan out less than 50% of the time yet no one writes the draft off and says we won't participate. 2nd argument about money is dumb cause a. its not your money and b. the cap is going up and keeps going up every year. Team are generally good at restructuring contracts and lowering cap hits. Vets get cut every year as part of the annual 1/3 roster turnover.

Seems like team and FO's have fans convinced spending in FA is a sin as part if PR. You should want your team and owner to spend money especially at guys who are 1-3 years into their career and right around their peak.
It's a balance like anything else. If you've spent years pouring money into FA without properly building through the draft - yes that's a sin and it will play out on the field. As it has for many poorly run organizations. Denver is an example of a team that did built a winner by doing both and doing it well.

That having been said, the cap is an illusion for all intents and purposes. There are so many ways to structure and later restructure a contract that its relatively easy to make your way out of "cap hell".

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm still on the fence. My position can change, if they continue to publicly support him, I might actually pull the plug as well for at least a year. I've supported them through all the bullshit, but publically endorsing Trump...

Man

All the Pats fans will be gone in 5 years anyway when the franchise is irrelevant again.

Bread bailed early in anticipation of that.

Man
Will that cost you your father's car? Because I wouldn't blame you for supporting the fascist pats to keep that car.

Pretty much where I am.

Future, Draxal, what do you feel the Giants Short term plans are? Seems all the false stories this FA season involve the Giants in some way.

Ladarius Green (TE from San Diego) is also rumored to be attached to us. "Ladarius!" doesn't roll off the tongue like "Heaaaaaath!!"

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen!

Schefter said the deal was as good as done. I love it. Young, filled with potential, proof of capability, not just a glorified WR like many TEs in the league.

effzee

It's a balance like anything else. If you've spent years pouring money into FA without properly building through the draft - yes that's a sin and it will play out on the field. As it has for many poorly run organizations. Denver is an example of a team that did built a winner by doing both and doing it well.

That having been said, the cap is an illusion for all intents and purposes. There are so many ways to structure and later restructure a contract that its relatively easy to make your way out of "cap hell".

Yeah ideally you want to build through the draft or a well balanced combo.

But if you have tons of cap space, need, and availability of player(s) then who the hell cares about the salary? Fans only seem to care about the contract more so than the actual player. Like a deal or pick up is only good if the money lines up with what fans have been conditioned to believe is the right amount.

Draxal

They're in it to win. They have a small window with Eli and Beckham Jr, kinda of like you guys with Brown and Roth.

Tom Penny

Maybe because it isnt baseball with an open checkbook to sign anbody you want with no repercussions to building a roster.

Striker

Jordan Raanan & #8207;@JordanRaanan 1m1 minute ago

#Giants are on verge of landing former #Jets DT Damon Harrison. Hearing it's likely going in $8-9M range per season
Mmm

EDIT

Also looks like Vernon to JAC for $75+M.

Future, Draxal, what do you feel the Giants Short term plans are? Seems all the false stories this FA season involve the Giants in some way.
Rebuild the defensive line. Only two teams had less sacks last season and there's simply no way we're going to field a credible defense if we do not. (FA and draft will both be part of that)

I thought the Giants would be more in on some of the safeties out there which is also a big hole but Ranaan noted that the Giants put in one call for McLeod and moved on. It doesn't seem to be a priority right now - at least not immediate.

They're in it to win. They have a small window with Eli and Beckham Jr, kinda of like you guys with Brown and Roth.

Indeed. Eli has 3-4 seasons left in him. No time for a rebuild from scratch job.

kmag

Mmm

EDIT

Also looks like Vernon to JAC for $75+M.

I think that's a result for the Giants to be honest. Looks like too much for Vernon, and while Harrison might be a bit one dimensional he's a tackling machine and almost impossible to move, it'll be very difficult to run up the gut against him and Hankins, and without the double teams Hankins can get a bit of push. He was very good as the 3 technique the year before last.

effzee

Whats going on with G from Texans who is a FA?

Forget the name but early on there was buzz Eagles would be interested.

With signing a starting safety and picking up a corner, I wonder what happens with Nolan Carrol now in terms of returning to the Eagles. He was their best corner last year and I'd like to see him back.

But at 8 they can also draft the best CB in the draft who can start day 1.

Rebuild the defensive line. Only two teams had less sacks last season and there's simply no way we're going to field a credible defense if we do not. (FA and draft will both be part of that)

I thought the Giants would be more in on some of the safeties out there which is also a big hole but Ranaan noted that the Giants put in one call for McLeod and moved on. It doesn't seem to be a priority right now - at least not immediate.

Indeed. Eli has 3-4 seasons left in him. No time for a rebuild from scratch job.

I always though Weddle would be a good fit for the GMen (I wouldn't mind him as a Steeler either if he was 2 or 3 years younger). After him and say, Gipson are there any safeties of repute on the market?

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen!

Schefter said the deal was as good as done. I love it. Young, filled with potential, proof of capability, not just a glorified WR like many TEs in the league.

I wonder if we're looking at a DB in FA at all or if we're going with Gay/draft pick/Golden/Mitchell.

Is Golden ready? Is Sharmarko the heir apparent?

Would love to grab Weddle. Interesting that he hasn't signed anywhere yet (he hasn't, right?).

I see Mike Wallace is linked to the Ravens. Flacco gonna get his deep DPI ball going again.

I always though Weddle would be a good fit for the GMen (I wouldn't mind him as a Steeler either if he was 2 or 3 years younger). After him and say, Gipson are there any safeties of repute on the market?

Was actually wondering this myself about FA and the draft. Can't have guys like Dahl and Merriweather out there again.

Also: "blue check" = verified account

Top Bottom