• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT2| No Country for Old Members

Spin trying out gourmet dining

so9XUI6.jpg

Hindl

Rough start? He was forced to go up against Calvin Johnson one on one.

Well exactly Billy D didn't put him in a good position. I'm not blaming him he did remarkably well in that game too. He defended a lot of throws like a veteran CB, but they were perfect throws to one of the best WR in the league. I was just worried since that was his first start ever it would get to his head but he really bounced back. Not saying it was his fault his first game wasn't good it was the scheme

Seeing Giants got Vernon from the Phins.

Not seeing it form the regular beat folks. Just a BBI user who has been hit or miss in the past. We'll see. It wouldn't shock me. Ranaan has been reporting that he was the Giants #1 free agency target.

I'm sorry....
Don't be. 25 years old and with a functional organization now. ;)

In all seriousness, he was always going to be overpayed but I'm curious to see what the Giants coaches can do with him. Locking up JPP is a step in the right direction and a rotation with Odi and possibly another DE from the draft could make for a relatively good remake of the defensive line. One that was almost completely bereft of talent until JPP came back.

MechDX

#Falcons are wrapping up a deal with #Browns center Alex Mack. It's going to get done.

Ex-Cle center Alex Mack will average @$9.5m in Atlanta deal. Could have made 500k more on ave in Cleve. Atl OC KShanahan a factor for Mack.

Draxal

I'm psyched; just get Snacks and a safety and I'll be happy. I would have been concerned if he was 30, but if he's 25, he's just hitting his prime.

Not seeing it form the regular beat folks. Just a BBI user who has been hit or miss in the past. We'll see. It wouldn't shock me. Ranaan has been reporting that he was the Giants #1 free agency target.

Don't be. 25 years old and with a functional organization now. ;)

lol you'll regret that by mid season

Striker

lol you'll regret that by mid season
I'm not overjoyed with him tbh, but the Giants have had trash on the DL for years. Last great season by a Giants DE was JPP in 2011. Ever since it's been held down by JPP who had back problems, Kiwanuka with a fork in his back, Tuck on his last legs, and other nameless guys. They had to trot out Cullen Jenkins (As a DE) and Kerry Wynn to start for fuck's sake last year. Reese bungled the roster, and now he's attempting to fix it.

I'm not overjoyed with him tbh, but the Giants have had trash on the DL for years. Last great season by a Giants DE was JPP in 2011. Ever since it's been held down by JPP who had back problems, Kiwanuka with a fork in his back, Tuck on his last legs, and other nameless guys. They had to trot out Cullen Jenkins (As a DE) and Kerry Wynn to start for fuck's sake last year. Reese bungled the roster, and now he's attempting to fix it.

He's a solid player but he's not the game changing pass rush he's going to be paid to be and he sucks in run blocking, so while you might have crap at the position now and he'd be an upgrade you're going to massively overpay for him with a ton of guaranteed money when you can spend that money on some cheaper options that will probably produce the same as OV.

He's a solid player but he's not the game changing pass rush he's going to be paid to be and he sucks in run blocking, so while you might have crap at the position now and he'd be an upgrade you're going to massively overpay for him with a ton of guaranteed money when you can spend that money on some cheaper options that will probably produce the same as OV.
60 million isn't going to spend itself.:) Also, there's no telling what he will become at 25 years old. I remember Eagles fans balking at the contract we gave DRC and he's been our top corner (and a damn good one in general) since.

I don't relish overpaying him either, but given the FA DE market is generally trash and the state of the Giants roster - I like that we've kept a "known" player in JPP and put whatever money we did into a 25 year old (if he is signed) over say a 31 year old Mario Williams who all but quit on the team last season as an example. That's not a knock on the Fins either - just the reality of what Williams is right now. I would have liked Johnson though. More for the quality of person he was and what he brought to the locker room than his play at this point in his career. That was worth 6 million to me.

Looks like it's a not yet for Vernon to Giants (might still happen).

Figured. If I don't see anything on the beat front, its conjecture more often than not.

Spinluck

Savage can hold it down till Luck comes home. Just hope he isn't half dead

25% of Luck is better than most Texans QB, so we'll see friend. My boy went out like a champ his last game of the 2015 season :'). Pls return.

Zeke is AP 2.0 according to PFF..

That's my RB :’)

Prepare for the Crop Tops of big fat white guys in Indiana..

At first I was like, should we take an o-linemen or pass rusher if Zeke falls to us? Then I was like nah. Take the best player available.

Line_HTX

Antonio Gates ‏@AntonioGates85 4m4 minutes ago

Happy to remain a @Chargers . My intentions have always been to retire in San Diego . No place I'd rather be. Best Fans and organization.

Damn good news for Donnell:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m1 minute ago
In #non-free agent news… the #Giants TE Larry Donnell received full clearance from his neck injury, per agent Tamika Cheatham.

There was some concern that his neck injury could have him end up like David Wilson.

On Vernon:

Olivier Vernon to @theMMQB on FA: "I might have to start shoveling snow for the first time ever."

Fantomex

60 million isn't going to spend itself.:) Also, there's no telling what he will become at 25 years old. I remember Eagles fans balking at the contract we gave DRC and he's been our top corner (and a damn good one in general) since.

I don't relish overpaying him either, but given the FA DE market is generally trash and the state of the Giants roster - I like that we've kept a "known" player in JPP and put whatever money we did into a 25 year old (if he is signed) over say Mario Williams who all but quit on the team last season as an example. I would have liked Johnson though. More for the quality of person he was and what he brought to the locker room than his play at this point in his career.

Figured. If I don't see anything on the beat front, its conjecture more often than not.

I like Vernon, I really think he can be a 10 sacks a year guy. I think the biggest problem in Miami is that it he took plays off. He might of just been gassed. Fans always felt that since Suh was in the middle and Wake was on one end, it meant that Vernon should be getting a ton of sacks, but it's not that easy. He's good in coverage, can rush outside or inside, and can breakout at any moment.

Rumors heating up that Colin Kaepernick wants a trade to Denver. #49ers

— Kevin Lynch (@klynch49) March 9, 2016

I think Elway is just hinting to Brock that they won't get into a bidding war with the Texans. Elway will expect a home town discount to some degree.

I like Vernon, I really think he can be a 10 sacks a year guy. I think the biggest problem in Miami is that it he took plays off. He might of just been gassed. Fans always felt that since Suh was in the middle and Wake was on one end, it meant that Vernon should be getting a ton of sacks, but it's not that easy. He's good in coverage, can rush outside or inside, and can breakout at any moment.
NFLN is saying he is close to signing with the Jags so said "source" may have jumped the shark on the Giants locking him up.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Adam Schefter ✔ ‎@AdamSchefter

Former Chargers TE Ladarius Green is expected to sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers, per source.

About damn time the Steelers got some weapons for Ben.

Unless they pick one in the first two rounds I doubt that's happening. Nickel is the base defense now, and unless they think McCullers is the guy (which I doubt heavily) we Need Big Steve back.

I'd rather they sign him and focus on shoring up DE depth.

I'd like to get a nose that's athletic enough to play in the sub packages. I think McLendon can do that. The Steelers do not. I also think he wants a pay raise and looking at the contracts Colbert has given out this year, I don't think it's going to happen. I'd like him to return and back up all three d-line positions.

Godslay

Banned
I think Elway is just hinting to Brock that they won't get into a bidding war with the Texans. Elway will expect a home town discount to some degree.

Maybe, could be leverage.

They did want to draft Kaep from what some are saying. Would have to lose a pick (most likely a 4th) to pick up Kaep, but that would likely be replaced by a 3rd if Brock leaves.

Brock might be more expensive, but I guess we'll see. I'd be fine with either guy. Both have their pros and cons, it would be exciting to see Kaep mixed in Kubes offense though.

Sorry friend but no, he's super overrated, can't run block, doesn't create pressure/sacks, he's a clean up guy at best, relying on him to be your number one pass rusher is a big mistake. Dude is slow and his best move is to bull-rush the tackles, he looks great when playing sub-par tackles but mostly disappears when faced with quality blockers.

I don't relish overpaying him either, but given the FA DE market is generally trash and the state of the Giants roster - I like that we've kept a "known" player in JPP and put whatever money we did into a 25 year old (if he is signed) over say a 31 year old Mario Williams who all but quit on the team last season as an example. That's not a knock on the Fins either - just the reality of what Williams is right now. I would have liked Johnson though. More for the quality of person he was and what he brought to the locker room than his play at this point in his career. That was worth 6 million to me.

Fair enough, certainly wouldn't mind seeing him succeed with you guys, got nothing but love for the giants.

Rumors heating up that Colin Kaepernick wants a trade to Denver. #49ers

— Kevin Lynch (@klynch49) March 9, 2016

If the Broncos get Kap I think that is a great move for them. The formula of him making a few plays a game and relying on a great D almost won a SB and Denver has all the pieces in place for that.

Godslay

Banned
If the Broncos get Kap I think that is a great move for them. The formula of him making a few plays a game and relying on a great D almost won a SB and Denver has all the pieces in place for that.

Yeah, we should have 9/11 starters returning on the D. I don't think they'll be as dominant as last year, but good enough.

We need some offense to make up for the inevitable regression. I think Kaep could do it. As could Brock. Fine either way.

Top Bottom