• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tom Penny

Beef Short Rib pot pie for lunch...

giphy.gif

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
For all the baseball defense in here, I still haven't been told why I should invest time and money in watching a game where spectators have to make up their own games to make the time bearable.

Like what the fuck, I'll go sit in a doctors office or wait at the DMV if I want the same experience.

For all the baseball defense in here, I still haven't been told why I should invest time and money in watching a game where spectators have to make up their own games to make the time bearable.

Like what the fuck, I'll go sit in a doctors office or wait at the DMV if I want the same experience.

Well the Baseball park is a place where you can get interesting fatty foods. That's what makes baseball unique! As for the people who enjoy watching baseball on TV well may god bless your soul.

Syrinx

Ninja got me thinking when he said that Jackie Robinson and Ali were the 2 most important athletes in American history and it got me thinking about who are the most important athletes in American history?

Not just great athletes but athletes that had substantial societal impact on America.

I mean off the top of my head I can't help but feel like that list would have to include:

Muhammad Ali
Babe Ruth
Babe Zaharias
Billy Jean King
Jackie Robinson
Jesse Owens
Jim Thorpe
Magic Johnson

Maybe:?
Greg Louganis
Tiger Woods
Michael Jordan
Sandy Koufax

Its tough to come up with any other lists with regards to ones who drove a conversation that impacted America.
How about Roberto Clemente?

Fox318

How about Roberto Clemente?

The baseball hall of fame previously always had a statue of 2 of the greatest ball players and people in basball's history out front:
OCPPF4hh.jpg

a few years back after renovation they switched it up and placed 3 new statues out front:

KHzACS9.jpg

The real to life character all three of these men had were immeasurable. They have an exhibit there showing of much of the forgotten Negro League history and they have on display a sample of the death threats and letters Robinson got and its simultaneously sick and amazing that it was not that long ago that it was happening.

My grandmother was a huge Dodgers fan at the time and I have some 9mm hand recorded play from Ebbets Field of more than a few games as well as some stories of her meeting the Dodgers players on trains.

Fox318

I'd rather watch a live baseball game than a live football game any day of the week. NFL games suck live.

I'm with you there.

I couldn't even give away some extra football tickets I got to some friends or family. They all wanted to sit him and watch redzone because they had fantasy money on the line.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Let's get the glow sticks out olds.
No words, no talk. We'll go dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeamin'.

Absolutely deserves mention. One of the foundations of Caribbean baseball and just an all around class act.

/tips hat

Attending ML games:
1) Hockey
2) Baseball
~3) Soccer - really depends on the seat/crowd.
4) Football

Summerbreeze was my first Tiesto album and I bought it on a whim from CDNow.com. So good and it really introduced me to that whole style of music. I think I listened to Silence a million times like other people. Caught me Running was another great one on that album too.

Ninja got me thinking when he said that Jackie Robinson and Ali were the 2 most important athletes in American history and it got me thinking about who are the most important athletes in American history?

Not just great athletes but athletes that had substantial societal impact on America.

I mean off the top of my head I can't help but feel like that list would have to include:

Muhammad Ali
Babe Ruth
Babe Zaharias
Billy Jean King
Jackie Robinson
Jesse Owens
Jim Thorpe
Magic Johnson

Maybe:?
Greg Louganis
Tiger Woods
Michael Jordan
Sandy Koufax

Its tough to come up with any other lists with regards to ones who drove a conversation that impacted America.

I hate lists like this because they trivialize the importance of people's accomplishments.

That said, absolutely zero people on that list belong next to Ali. There's being important and there's being a changing force in how society functions. Ali wasn't just an American icon - he was a WORLD icon, who affected multiple hot button issues in his era beyond his sphere of specific expertise.

Let's take Jesse Owens as an example. Jesse Owens was a dominant athlete, but did nothing to challenge the politics and society of his era. How could he possibly compare to Muhammad Ali?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I hate lists like this because they trivialize the importance of people's accomplishments.

That said, absolutely zero people on that list belong next to Ali. There's being important and there's being a changing force in how society functions. Ali wasn't just an American icon - he was a WORLD icon, who affected multiple hot button issues in his era beyond his sphere of specific expertise.

Let's take Jesse Owens as an example. Jesse Owens was a dominant athlete, but did nothing to challenge the politics and society of his era. How could he possibly compare to Muhammad Ali?

Fox isn't asking you to compare any of them to Ali though.

He's just asking can you think of any other athletes who have had a big societal impact.

Top Bottom