• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 12 |OT| Shanksgiving

Slo

I don't mean this rudely, but I can't ever recall the Gophers winning a big game or having a good year. Almost every Power 5 school I can recall having a special season where they exceeded their usual selves and made a run to a big bowl game. But not Minnesota

No offense taken!

Slo

I don't mean this rudely, but I can't ever recall the Gophers winning a big game or having a good year. Almost every Power 5 school I can recall having a special season where they exceeded their usual selves and made a run to a big bowl game. But not Minnesota

Also, the year that we had both Lawrence Maroney and Marian Barber in our backfield was probably the best year that I can remember.

So Arkansas is top 5 worst?

Honestly South Carolina has to be up there. They're basically "Clemson Tech" these days.

At least Arkansas owns its own state!
Arkansas is nowhere near top 5 worst..

South Carolina isn't really up there in my eyes yet..

Right now.. in each of the power five conferences without thinking too hard..

Rutgers
Kansas
Arizona
Miss State
Virginia

Rutgers was #2 in the country for a week
What a glorious week that was..

squicken

Also, the year that we had both Lawrence Maroney and Marian Barber in our backfield was probably the best year that I can remember.

Yeah I can remember some years where they started strong and made it into the top 20 or so, but after that it always seemed to go downhill. I'm sure it is tough to recruit kids there.

But that is why I like college. Smaller programs can still have a good year, make a bowl, and have that be a successful season. Too many bowls now, though, for that to be as much an accomplishment as it used to be

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Arkansas is nowhere near top 5 worst..

South Carolina isn't really up there in my eyes yet..

Right now.. in each of the power five conferences without thinking too hard..

Rutgers
Kansas
Arizona
Miss State
Virginia

What a glorious week that was..

"worst programs" is always a difficult thing to think about depending on your metric.

There are just so many schools that perennially spin their tires and go nowhere (like Arkansas) if the measure of success is winning a national championship.

Slo

Yeah I can remember some years where they started strong and made it into the top 20 or so, but after that it always seemed to go downhill. I'm sure it is tough to recruit kids there.

But that is why I like college. Smaller programs can still have a good year, make a bowl, and have that be a successful season. Too many bowls now, though, for that to be as much an accomplishment as it used to be

ND, OSU and Michigan get all the top recruits when the pop up, nothing we can do about that. We just have to win start winning recruits against Iowa, Wisconsin, and MSU.

Lovie is the dark horse!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Can't wait for them to expand it to 8 teams in the playoffs and then we can do away with these charity "feel good" wins in bowls of no consequence. I just completely don't understand why fans feel good about winning consolation bowls.

squicken

Can't wait for them to expand it to 8 teams in the playoffs and then we can do away with these charity "feel good" wins in bowls of no consequence. I just completely don't understand why fans feel good about winning consolation bowls.

I really liked it when their were fewer bowl. Got to see matchups we didn't normally see during the year. And it is a good carrot to teams that are never going to make the playoff

"worst programs" is always a difficult thing to think about depending on your metric.

There are just so many schools that perennially spin their tires and go nowhere (like Arkansas) if the measure of success is winning a national championship.
See I don't consider that a metric of success..

Unless you're a blue blood or lightning strikes.. 90% of college programs aren't going to be in contention for a national championship. It's just a fact of life as the bigger ones have access to better facilities, recruits, etc.. is it fair.. of course not.. but that's the way it is now.

Arkansas isn't that.. I would say they are a decent average program at the moment and historically.. like Squicken said, programs can go in and have decent seasons.. Arkansas generally has those compared to other programs.

The program above have some of the worst records in their conference which is why I picked them..

Illinois isn't necessarily a bad program.. mediocre.. Yeah they are(sorry Eff and Slo).. they have access to good recruits, decent athletic support, good location overall compared to other programs..

Their problem is.. they just never had that great coach in modern times to carry them..

Put Jim Harbaugh, Saban, Urban there.. I would argue that they'll develop them into a winner.

Illinois isn't necessarily a bad program.. mediocre.. Yeah they are(sorry Eff and Slo).. they have access to good recruits, decent athletic support, good location overall compared to other programs..

Their problem is.. they just never had that great coach in modern times to carry them..

Put Jim Harbaugh, Saban, Urban there.. I would argue that they'll develop them into a winner.
There hasn't been the heart from the university to invest in FB really since the 80s. That may be changing with Lovie, but it's going to take time -- and we have to prove we have the attention span to hire a good coach and then actually stick with him during a rebuild.

If we stick with it (and Lovie doesn't bail) for 5-10 years, there's no reason U of Illinois football can't be at the same level as (for example) U of Wisconsin football. We'll never be Michigan or OSU though.

There hasn't been the heart from the university to invest in FB really since the 80s. That may be changing with Lovie, but it's going to take time -- and we have to prove we have the attention span to hire a good coach and then actually stick with him during a rebuild.

If we stick with it (and Lovie doesn't bail) for 5-10 years, there's no reason U of Illinois football can't be at the same level as (for example) U of Wisconsin football. We'll never be Michigan or OSU though.
I'll agree with that.

I don't know what else we can take from F, he's already ruined the country

F F 💔
I'm sorry friend

RBH

UOGSORAXDACECOD.20160721155724.JPG

http://www.seminoles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210627103

The Bucs should also draft Aguayo's younger brother from FSU :)

Keep it all in the family!

Hunter S.

Both he and Rodney McCleod played for the Rams and really without much distinction. Now they both make big money for other teams. Jeff Fisher.
That secondary of the Broncos elevates his game. Been a force since we got him.

Fisher is a giver of talent to the league, he should fell proud!

Edit: I could of sworn you were a Cowboys hater?

See I don't consider that a metric of success..

Unless you're a blue blood or lightning strikes.. 90% of college programs aren't going to be in contention for a national championship. It's just a fact of life as the bigger ones have access to better facilities, recruits, etc.. is it fair.. of course not.. but that's the way it is now.

Arkansas isn't that.. I would say they are a decent average program at the moment and historically.. like Squicken said, programs can go in and have decent seasons.. Arkansas generally has those compared to other programs.

The program above have some of the worst records in their conference which is why I picked them..

Illinois made the Rose Bowl less than a decade ago. In fact Illinois has been to the Rose Bowl more recently than:

Michigan
WSU
Nebraska
Washington
Purdue
UCLA
ASU
Northwestern
Indiana
Oregon State
Minnesota
Cal

Holy shit! Another day of Cleve Brown Football ! And apparently THE Joel Embiid plays the Cleve Cavs tonight! Pls get hype.
p8b97.gif

Fake edit: Fuck! Just realized the Cavs play the same time as the Brown. This is quite disrespectful !

Top Bottom