• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 13 |OT| This is not the Greatest NFL Thread it's Only a Tribute

Elite_zpshpdkthux.jpg

Hindl

I hope Nintendo doesn't pull that artificial constraint bullshit. It's been a trend with them so I wouldn't be surprised, and they did have warehouses full of Wii Us, but if the switch is hard to get it'll kill it.

BigAT

This is some bad company to be in:

Kimberly Jones‏@KimJonesSports
NYG offense has gone from struggling to atrocious. Since Week 7, NYG have NFL’s 30th total offense. Only CLE & LA worse.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
If the Switch is hard to find I'll probably just shrug my shoulders.

Doesn't look like a product that I *MUST HAVE* day one. It'd be silly if they were hard to find for months on end because I got a PS4 like less than a month after launch by walking into a Gamestop.

bionic77

I hope Nintendo doesn't pull that artificial constraint bullshit. It's been a trend with them so I wouldn't be surprised, and they did have warehouses full of Wii Us, but if the switch is hard to get it'll kill it.
You know that no one actually does that right? If you subscribe to this theory that only makes sense if they will flood the market a few weeks before christmas to meet the pent up demand. You, I and especially Tebow above knows that ain't happening.

The best explanation is just that Nintendo is extremely backwards at everything (including estimating demand and ramping up production). The only thing they are good at is making videogame magic.

Hindl

You know that no one actually does that right? If you subscribe to this theory that only makes sense if they will flood the market a few weeks before christmas to meet the pent up demand. You, I and especially Tebow above knows that ain't happening.

The best explanation is just that Nintendo is extremely backwards at everything (including estimating demand and ramping up production). The only thing they are good at is making videogame magic.

Well yeah, it's just been too consistent. They've had this problem for well over a decade, and it's either extreme incompetence or planned. I guess I hope its planned just because if they're that incompetent and have still failed to learn from it, they'll never learn

Zeke

Week 17, Dallas may have nothing to play for by that point and could rest starters #moralvictories

bionic77

Well yeah, it's just been too consistent. They've had this problem for well over a decade, and it's either extreme incompetence or planned. I guess I hope its planned just because if they're that incompetent and have still failed to learn from it, they'll never learn
It cannot be planned because they are just giving away money. A percentage of the people who can't get the console they came for are just going to buy another. And again if they are planning it, it only makes sense to get that added publicity (if it is even covered) if they flood the market later, like probably 2 weeks before xmas.

It makes no sense and it is also not a correct assertion. This is just something people like to say about any Nintendo console that is selling well. You could walk in and buy a Wii U and Gamecube and 3DS on launch and buy one at any point. I feel like even the DS was pretty easy to find (at least it was for me). The only one that people had real problems finding for the first year was the Wii and that was obviously based on crazy demand and Nintendo and everyone else on the planet not seeing it coming.

Their new Nintendo classic is obviously incompetence from Nintendo. If they had taken preorders or spent more time focusing on the obvious demand for it they might have been able to increase supply for xmas.

That said a lot of people really underestimate how hard it is to produce anything in quantities of millions in a short period of time. And if you over produce you are going to take a huge bath. It was this talent that made Tim Cook CEO of Apple so it is not as simple as people on forums like to pretend.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Nintendo is all about that shortage up front then surplus at the end....sometimes

How many Wiis (Wii Minis) and Wii Us had to be returned?

Amiibos sold out of XYZ characters then they release fucking Animal Crossing bullshit amiibos that nobody cares about.

Good luck finding certain 3DS and Wii U software also....if it wasn't for digital downloads, some titles would have ceased to exist or would have become $150 ebay collectibles (which is a bullshit second hand market that I would never buy into no matter how great the game)

Nintendo Classic? lmao

Wii U Gamecube adapters? another miserable failure

Shit I just know I'm missing a bunch more here.

Hindl

Week 17, Dallas may have nothing to play for by that point and could rest starters #moralvictories

Eagles just lost to a 3-7-1 Bengals team without AJ Green or Giovanni Bernard. The offense that never had any playmakers to begin with has over half of its starters out, and the Defense has just quit. I'd rather they just forfeit the rest of the season and start working on Wentz' mechanics now because he's regressing having to throw so much and is getting bad habits.

Hindl

It cannot be planned because they are just giving away money. A percentage of the people who can't get the console they came for are just going to buy another. And again if they are planning it, it only makes sense to get that added publicity (if it is even covered) if they flood the market later, like probably 2 weeks before xmas.

It makes no sense and it is also not a correct assertion. This is just something people like to say about any Nintendo console that is selling well. You could walk in and buy a Wii U and Gamecube and 3DS on launch and buy one at any point. I feel like even the DS was pretty easy to find (at least it was for me). The only one that people had real problems finding for the first year was the Wii and that was obviously based on crazy demand and Nintendo and everyone else on the planet not seeing it coming.

Their new Nintendo classic is obviously incompetence from Nintendo. If they had taken preorders or spent more time focusing on the obvious demand for it they might have been able to increase supply for xmas.

That said a lot of people really underestimate how hard it is to produce anything in quantities of millions in a short period of time. And if you over produce you are going to take a huge bath. It was this talent that made Tim Cook CEO of Apple so it is not as simple as people on forums like to pretend.

It's not just the NES Classic though. Look at wienke's post. Gamecube Adapters. Amiibo. Limited print games that definitely should have more copies ready to go. Original Gamecube Component cables. If anything it's gotten worse. I understand the problem Nintendo has overproducing vs giants like Sony and MS, and they've generally been better about actual consoles being ready. I know they aren't actually constraining things, it's just so frustrating how we've ran into this problem with them multiple times over the last several years. And it just turns Nintendo products into a scalper's paradise, when simple solutions like preorders could solve it. It just makes me nervous about the Switch because everything about it sounds amazing, but then in the background we have Nintendo infrastructure continually fucking up.

bionic77

It's not just the NES Classic though. Look at wienke's post. Gamecube Adapters. Amiibo. Limited print games that definitely should have more copies ready to go. Original Gamecube Component cables. If anything it's gotten worse. I understand the problem Nintendo has overproducing vs giants like Sony and MS, and they've generally been better about actual consoles being ready. I know they aren't actually constraining things, it's just so frustrating how we've ran into this problem with them multiple times over the last several years. And it just turns Nintendo products into a scalper's paradise, when simple solutions like preorders could solve it. It just makes me nervous about the Switch because everything about it sounds amazing, but then in the background we have Nintendo infrastructure continually fucking up.
All of wienkes examples point to incompetence and not some conspiracy for publicity (and honestly only deep ass videogame nerds even know what half of his examples are).

They are a conservative company which is why they have been around for more than a 100 years. It is definitely annoying for some of their fans but they are not going to change that to make a few hundred gamers on GAF happy.

This is all besides the point anyways. They just invented a pure happiness machine that releases next year. All of us (with the exception of Floyd and maybe one or two others) deserves happiness. Most of us would give everything we had for just a few minutes of pure happiness. Nintendo is only asking for a few hundred. Time to pull some double shifts at Burger King gentlemen and ask for an advance for a few years on your allowance. Its happening and its going to change everything!

squicken

I read something yesterday that the initial plan was to have Wentz spend the year working on his mechanics, but then the Eagles decided to trade Bradford this year, and work on Wentz' mechanics in the offseason. That is pretty much exactly how JAX messed up Bortles, by rushing him out there.

Results were bad yesterday. Most important thing for the rest of the year for the Eagles is his development

Hindl

I read something yesterday that the initial plan was to have Wentz spend the year working on his mechanics, but then the Eagles decided to trade Bradford this year, and work on Wentz' mechanics in the offseason. That is pretty much exactly how JAX messed up Bortles, by rushing him out there.

Results were bad yesterday. Most important thing for the rest of the year for the Eagles is his development

This is what I was afraid of. The rest of the team was awful yesterday (except paradoxically the receivers), but Wentz was flat out bad. Just gotta hope these last 4 games don't do permanent damage to him

Zeke

That's pretty much how most teams ruin prospects. Too many teams rushing players put instead of taking time to develop them. Guarantee the league would see better qb play if teams didn't throw players to the wolves.

squicken

Packers going to get wrecked next week

idk two weeks ago I was certain that NE/SEA was a lock for the SB, but with Gronk and Thomas out for the year I think that isn't certain. Thomas is their best defender and covers up a lot of mistakes. All their defenders are now just a little bit more nervous about getting beat deep

bionic77

That's pretty much how most teams ruin prospects. Too many teams rushing players put instead of taking time to develop them. Guarantee the league would see better qb play if teams didn't throw players to the wolves.
No one used to play quarterbacks until at least a month into the season until after Big Ben's success a a rookie. A few other qb's have also prospered in their rookie seasons and it is now accepted that a rookie can succeed as a qb.

I agree with you that the league would have more solid qb's if they actually developed their qb talent a little longer. There are definitely some players who were not ready in year one but might end being good to great players if they had 2-3 years of grow and practice (Rodgers is a good example of that but no one seems to want to follow that model and also to be fair the Packers had Brent under center during that time which not every team can say).

Hindl

Holy shit they need to patch The Last Guardian. Sounds like the overall game came out really well but that framerate is atrocious

WedgeX

Banned
The Lions are now guaranteed to go at least 8-8.

There were years where I could only hope that this would happen.

Coincidentally, today I remembered when Daunte Culpepper played for the Lions.

ShaneB

Remember when Matt Ryan and the Falcons went for two and lost the game?
I remember.

Story of the game was the Chiefs really aren't that good on offence or defence, but will take advantage of every single turnover, and they get the most turnovers in the league. And what do you know, they win the game on a turnover.

Greg

idk two weeks ago I was certain that NE/SEA was a lock for the SB, but with Gronk and Thomas out for the year I think that isn't certain. Thomas is their best defender and covers up a lot of mistakes. All their defenders are now just a little bit more nervous about getting beat deep
with Russ mobile again, Packers defense bound to break back to what they were now that they aren't facing the offenses of the Eagles and Texans

and I don't see enough consistency from their offense to hang in a game like that against a good defense

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
with Russ mobile again, Packers defense bound to break back to what they were now that they aren't facing the offenses of the Eagles and Texans

and I don't see enough consistency from their offense to hang in a game like that against a good defense

We'll get slaughtered by Seattle

But then we play Bears, Vikings, and Lions. 9-7 is completely possible because division games are kinda unpredictable.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.

I feel like they shouldn't rest starters outside of existing injuries.

No one used to play quarterbacks until at least a month into the season until after Big Ben's success a a rookie. A few other qb's have also prospered in their rookie seasons and it is now accepted that a rookie can succeed as a qb.

I agree with you that the league would have more solid qb's if they actually developed their qb talent a little longer. There are definitely some players who were not ready in year one but might end being good to great players if they had 2-3 years of grow and practice (Rodgers is a good example of that but no one seems to want to follow that model and also to be fair the Packers had Brent under center during that time which not every team can say).

Didnt bledsoe and both mannings play immediately as rookies?

Hindl

Man if they finish 5-11 after starting 3-0 I wonder if lurie does say fuck it and clean house.

They can't clean house year 1. Regardless of what you think of Howie and Doug, that doesn't send a good message. What HC candidate would want to come to Philly after they gave the previous HC a brand-new QB and fired him after one season? That doesn't scream stability and I doubt a lot of candidates will want to do that. Doug will get 1 more year, and if there's no improvement he'll be gone.

cdyhybrid

Hawks will be fine. Terrell played fine in Earl's absence.

Biggest concern remains whether the OL will let the offense get out the door every game.

PAckers gave the blueprint for developing quarterbacks years ago. Draft your guy, then park his ass on the bench and make him learn.

I was watching video of Eli's and Ben's first game against each other, and was amazed at how shit Ben's mechanics were. Yeah the Steelers were winning games but in hindsight it was a miracle.

Steelers were lucky in that they had an elite defense and robust o-line to protect Ben while he matured but most teams don't have that luxury, especially teams that are picking high enough to draft these franchise guys to begin with.

People were criticizing Fisher for not playing Goff but it was the right move - that bozo need time to cook through.

squicken

We'll get slaughtered by Seattle

But then we play Bears, Vikings, and Lions. 9-7 is completely possible because division games are kinda unpredictable.

Seattle scored 5 points a couple weeks ago and just lost their 2nd best player. They may well win the SB but they are not as good as they have been the past few years. A very flawed team is going to win the SB this year. It's just who stays healthy and gets hot, and GB has done it before

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Seattle scored 5 points a couple weeks ago and just lost their 2nd best player. They may well win the SB but they are not as good as they have been the past few years. A very flawed team is going to win the SB this year. It's just who stays healthy and gets hot, and GB has done it before

The 2010 Packer defense was really good though.

Only the Patriots managed to put more than 30 points on the Packers that season. Whereas the Titans and the Redskins have both dropped 40 points or more on them this year.

You have to really hope that the Packer D can somehow congeal into something decent for a run to be had. Plus the offense has been so fickle on whether or not they're going to score points. Green Bay hasn't scored more than 30 points since they played Atlanta's god awful defense.

I don't see GB making the playoffs at this point. They aren't good enough to win out and Detroit just looks better.

bionic77

Didnt bledsoe and both mannings play immediately as rookies?
I don't remember Bledsoe but neither Peyton nor Eli was that successful in their rookie year. Peyton really took off in year 2 or 3.

PAckers gave the blueprint for developing quarterbacks years ago. Draft your guy, then park his ass on the bench and make him learn.

I was watching video of Eli's and Ben's first game against each other, and was amazed at how shit Ben's mechanics were. Yeah the Steelers were winning games but in hindsight it was a miracle.

Steelers were lucky in that they had an elite defense and robust o-line to protect Ben while he matured but most teams don't have that luxury, especially teams that are picking high enough to draft these franchise guys to begin with.

People were criticizing Fisher for not playing Goff but it was the right move - that bozo need time to cook through.
I can't speak for Eli, but Ben's mechanics and everything else really wore down in December. He was not seeing the field and his super long throwing motion started to turn up more mistakes.

I don't know if that is something that happens to all rookies or it was just Ben wearing down. I kind of wonder if the same thing will happen to Dak. Ben did not have the same luxury of just getting 6 yards per carry on every handoff that Dak has but his defense was way better (though they looked like garbage in those Giants highlights against rookie Eli).

Joe PersonVerified account ‏@josephperson Lost in Tiegate ... Panthers can finish no better than 8-8. Franchise has never had back-to-back winning seasons in 22 years.

RR managed to get everyone thinking about a tie and not think about the fact that his team gave up on national television when the playoffs were still a possibility

#misdirection
#youzig
#wezag

Top Bottom