• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 13 |OT| This is not the Greatest NFL Thread it's Only a Tribute

crpav

Yep. Wentz showed this a scary amount in his college tape and it was the one thing about him that stood out to me. When is forced to hesitate or go deeper through his reads than expected, he has a tendency to go full statue which can result in some big problems once you do eventually throw.

Hate having to read this and admit it's true. Live in ND so like the guy and want him to do well plus wife likes him and is her favorite player so got her his jersey for Christmas. Hope he can fix what is needed to be fixed and not become a Tebow...

cdyhybrid

Hate having to read this and admit it's true. Live in ND so like the guy and want him to do well plus wife likes him and is her favorite player so got her his jersey for Christmas. Hope he can fix what is needed to be fixed and not become a Tebow...
Bite your tongue.

cdyhybrid

A Panthers beat reporter was on Florio this morning and he said that the Panthers never had an issue before with what Cam wore, and that Ron is just doing this to distract attention away from himself and what a poor job he did this year.
Since it's being viewed pretty universally as ridiculous, this might have backfired.

Carson Wentz was asked about his mechanics after Sundays game:

As far as I remember, the actual question asked in the press conference is if the INTs were the result of mechanics, but I could be wrong. I didn't think the INTs were mechanics, they were just bad decisions. I'll have to go look at the press coference again.

Edit: Rewatched. The actual question was "What do you attribute to the lack of production?" Wentz replied "It's not the mechanics. You make mistakes." I agree with that assessment. His mechanics are obviously not helping, but it's the mistakes more than the poor throws that are hurting the most. I'd rather a guy take the blame and say "I screwed up" than blame something technical when it was just a minor part of it. The bigger problem is that he keeps making mistakes. He's got 6 INTs in the last three games. That's a bigger deal than him missing throws.

A Panthers beat reporter was on Florio this morning and he said that the Panthers never had an issue before with what Cam wore, and that Ron is just doing this to distract attention away from himself and what a poor job he did this year.

Normally I don't go in for rumor mongering like this but considering Cam's past wardrobe choices (many of which that haven't included ties) this has to be true.

squicken

Chris B. Brown @smartfootball
Giants are in "11" personnel (3 WRs, 1 RB 1 TE) 96%+ of the time, and unbelievably for 100% of all passing plays. So... yeah?

Vixdean

Not really Rivera's style, more likely this came down from Richardson, who's just a bitter old grouch lashing out during a shitty season. This season was ruined by injuries and failing to take advantage of a cupcake early schedule. To be honest, if Gano makes that chip shot FG to win the opener in Denver, we'd probably be sitting at 3-4 losses at most. That set the whole season off in the wrong direction.

FTF

Can someone see what the chance of giant meteor from the sky is for the game in New England?

That is the only thing I can root for even though we really need the Pats to win.

Come on, you can do it. You just have to root for them this one game, it's not so bad and it's all just a game. I'm rooting for the Steelers, yesterday was a good game beating the Giants, and I hope they make the playoffs. Time to Switch things up.

Joe PersonVerified account ‏@josephperson Lost in Tiegate ... Panthers can finish no better than 8-8. Franchise has never had back-to-back winning seasons in 22 years.

RR managed to get everyone thinking about a tie and not think about the fact that his team gave up on national television when the playoffs were still a possibility

#misdirection
#youzig
#wezag

No one's getting fired...yet. But Mr. Answers On The Roster and Mr. Missed Opportunities need to keep their resumes updated for 2017 just in case.

Just woke up from a nice afternoon nap to see the Last Guardian review thread is up, gutted I missed the reaction to the Polygon review going up :(

Oh and apparently unresponsive NPC AI is now a feature, not a bug.

Hindl

My issue with Wentz is he stops his feet. QBs need to keep their feet moving so they can quickly reset and throw the ball. Peyton used to chop his feet, and most QBs kind of bounce on their toes. It isn't an issue when they throw on rhythm. But if they have to hold the ball it shows up

That's worrying, and he's been forced to hold it due to WRs not getting open. Footwork was one of the main criticisms the coaches had of him in the offseason, so hopefully they can fix it. It could be an overcorrection too, a flaw he had early in the season was he would be low and wide in the pocket and move around like that, instead of standing tall. He's been better at standing tall but maybe he's not moving as much because of it. And another flaw due to his throwing mechanic is his tendency to have batted balls. Once that gets fixed hopefully those get cut down as well.

Vixdean

No one's getting fired...yet. But Mr. Answers On The Roster and Mr. Missed Opportunities need to keep their resumes updated for 2017 just in case.

Shula needs to go, full stop. Everyone else has earned the right to have a shitty season but the offense has never played up to it's potential during his entire tenure. Even last year was boom or bust on every drive, relying way too much on Cam being spectacular on 3rd down, no consistency.

this_guy

Brock Osweiler: We’re close to exploding on offense

emsw.gif

Does this mean he knows he's about to get benched!?

Beach

Carr has 13TDs to 0 Ints when trailing in the second half this season. He's pretty much reached peak Matt Stafford levels in his third season.

Just woke up from a nice afternoon nap to see the Last Guardian review thread is up, gutted I missed the reaction to the Polygon review going up :(

Oh and apparently unresponsive NPC AI is now a feature, not a bug.

A conscious design decision isn't a bug. Whether you like or dislike that design decision is fair game/subjective, certainly. We're seeing that play out in the reviews. However, from the mouth of the man himself:

Speaking in the latest issue of Edge Magazine, via ibtimes UK, Fumito Ueda said Trico cannot be completely controlled by the player, as it had its own mind, and makes decisions on whether or not to respond to the player’s request.

Ueda said he designed Trico this way because a creature which always does as asked “wouldn’t be enjoyable” for him.

“There are a lot [of games] out there where you can do that,” he said. “I think I’ve had enough of them.”

I side with Rivera and the rest of the team that followed their coaches request. Cam reminds me of Willie Beaman.

You would have a point if Rivera actually was this strict about dress standards all the time. But he let this go

Cy7nhWqWEAEpFP_.jpg

Like I said earlier, it screams of a coach reaching for something, anything he can do keep the team's attention and thought that coming down on the star player for the same shit that he does every week now would be the thing to do it. It backfired spectacularly.

The team hated the move and if the way they played last night is any indication, they've tuned him out more than ever before.

Shula needs to go, full stop. Everyone else has earned the right to have a shitty season but the offense has never played up to it's potential during his entire tenure. Even last year was boom or bust on every drive, relying way too much on Cam being spectacular on 3rd down, no consistency.

Oh I agree, but I don't think Shula leaves until Rivera leaves at this point.

EDIT: Apparently the above is fine but the below is not

Cy7pBHXWQAAN5wz.jpg:large

Good one Paddleboat Ron!

That's worrying, and he's been forced to hold it due to WRs not getting open. Footwork was one of the main criticisms the coaches had of him in the offseason, so hopefully they can fix it. It could be an overcorrection too, a flaw he had early in the season was he would be low and wide in the pocket and move around like that, instead of standing tall. He's been better at standing tall but maybe he's not moving as much because of it. And another flaw due to his throwing mechanic is his tendency to have batted balls. Once that gets fixed hopefully those get cut down as well.

He's also been better at making sure his feet and hips point toward the receiver instead of opening up his hips. I think that's part of the problem as to why his feet stop moving. He wants to consciously make sure he's pointed in the right direction so it makes him a bit slow to move his feet. I don't think his footwork is nearly as big a problem as his throwing motion though.

@NFLResearch
Since Wk 9, the Giants have the NFL's Top 2 in sacks:
1. Olivier Vernon (7.0)
T-2. Jason Pierre-Paul (5.5)
I said it yesterday and I'll say it again - the defense did everything it could to give the offense a chance to win that game. Sacks at the right time (despite JPP being out), timely turnovers to get us back into the game. Our linebackers are simply not good in space and both Brown/Bell exposed that failing yesterday (along with our inability to cover TE's which has been an issue forever). Even then, the defense had kept Bell under 100 on the ground until the final 5 minutes of the game when the final 4th down attempt failed and it was over anyways. Jenkins did a nice job on AB other than the one TD as well. Even then he had tight coverage on him and no help from Leon Hall - who had he been paying attention should have intercepted that ball entirely! I'm still wondering what the fuck he was doing on that play.

I place the loss squarely on the offense. It was abysmal and I said earlier last week if the same offense showed up from the Browns game - this would be an L and it was. I wasn't overly concerned about the defense otherwise.

A conscious design decision isn't a bug. Whether you like or dislike that design decision is fair game/subjective, certainly. We're seeing that play out in the reviews. However, from the mouth of the man himself:

There's a difference between Trico hearing your order and defying it, and Trico just ignoring it because the game is janky.

While I'm sure that there is a lot of the former in the early stages of the game let's not kid ourselves that there are plenty of people who will excuse shitty programming as being amazing AI.

Spinluck

My issue with Wentz is he stops his feet. QBs need to keep their feet moving so they can quickly reset and throw the ball. Peyton used to chop his feet, and most QBs kind of bounce on their toes. It isn't an issue when they throw on rhythm. But if they have to hold the ball it shows up

From what I read about Peyton, he bounced his feet like that so he can set to throw at a moments notice.

Haven't seen anyone else take up that kind of technique, made him pretty unique imo.

Pepiope

Idk if it's just me, but Wentz is the least of my worries. I am confident in him going forward, and I know he'll be improved next season.

We need to both protect him and give him weapons to throw to. This off-season should just be about figuring out ways to not get our franchise QB killed.

There's a difference between Trico hearing your order and defying it, and Trico just ignoring it because the game is janky.

While I'm sure that there is a lot of the former in the early stages of the game let's not kid ourselves that there are plenty of people who will excuse shitty programming as being amazing AI.
I don't really care what people excuse or don't excuse. People can feel free to despise it and consider it "shitty" programming or love it as being the most revolutionary AI ever to be presented in a game. That's the extremes you get in every gaming thread here. I haven't played it (have you?) so therefore I can't speak intelligently to how well it functions or it doesn't. I'll let you know my thoughts on it once I've completed it if you actually have any real interest in the game.

Regardless, it's a complete non-issue to the basic point that I'm making to you which is that Trico's behavior is not a bug, it's a conscious design decision made by the creator of the game. Whether you love or hate that design choice doesn't change that basic underlying fact. Instead of calling it "shitty programming", folk should focus their wrath on "shitty decision making". ;)

Hindl

Idk if it's just me, but Wentz is the least of my worries. I am confident in him going forward, and I know he'll be improved next season.

We need to both protect him and give him weapons to throw to. This off-season should just be about figuring out ways to not get our franchise QB killed.

Yes he is the least of our worries but I'm just hoping the issues he's having don't become the norm. If they can go into the offseason and get him a bunch of weapons he'll be fine. But this offseason will be crucial

Ian RapoportVerified account
‏@RapSheet
The two leading fan vote-getters for Pro Bowl: #Cowboys RB Zeke Elliott, #Cowboys QB Dak Prescott. It’s their world.

We Dem Boyz officially runs the NFL

Top Bottom