• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 13 |OT| This is not the Greatest NFL Thread it's Only a Tribute

MechDX

From a post at Battle Red Blog SB Nation:

After the Chargers game I said the AFCS is lost. And it still is.
We won’t win out. This team is not playing for its HC and I suspect that they all feel Osweiler is the problem, and they have been wanting a change at QB but they know it’s not happening so they’re basically going through the motions. The psychology of it is just right there for everyone to see.

Whether they know, or have a theory, that it’s a directive from the FO and ownership or not isn’t the issue. They just know that in the past the QBs have had ample time to prove themselves and BoB has made QB changes in previous seasons if he felt he needed to. Since he’s not making the change, yet he has made changes in the past, it’s plausible that BoB has no choice and the owner and FO are telling him that he has to play Osweiler due to contract dollars attached. That’s why McNair said both Osweiler and BoB are secure in their jobs. This is, IMO, a situation of the owner and GM being so obsessed with contract dollars and the way the acquisition of Osweiler occurred that they are going to demand he be the QB this year and next year. Maybe even to the point that they leave BoB hanging in Year 4 to the degree of seeing what he can do with Osweiler and if it doesn’t improve they’ll not renew BoB and therefore keep Osweiler and hire a HC who they, and Osweiler, think will be better for him.

If my theory is right, BoB will read between the lines and realize that he’s been painted into a corner and he’ll not want to be left twisting in the wind in Year 4 here in Houston. So he’ll bail and go back to NCAA where he can run the whole show from top to bottom and be his own GM, his own HC, and let McNair and RS continue to play Pretend Head Coach with their meddling bullshit that I think is now coming out and being revealed this year. IMO this owner and GM have been, they’ve always been, more meddling in the HCs’ jobs than they have tried to make people believe. They give off the appearance of a system of cooperation and buy-in with their HCs but we’ve all taken jobs where we thought one thing and then when we’re on the inside we see how things really are. Happens all the time, and frankly I think that’s the case for any HC who takes a job under McNair. The more McNair gets seasons behind him, the more I think he thinks he knows more and can have more influence…something he probably didn’t do or want to have when the franchise first began. He let a guy like Capers and a GM like Casserly run the show, but once Rick Smith and Kubiak came aboard it sure seems that the owner has been growing more emboldened each season to comment on the team with things that he probably shouldn’t say (if he’s as Hands-off as he claims to be).

That his son Cal is tightly bound to Rick through a godson/godfather situation doesn’t bode well for the future if Cal takes over. We won’t be able to escape RS even if it’s warranted. We’ll have to fall into a lucky situation like the Cowboys where a QB just pops up out of nowhere and suddenly performs like a 10-year veteran. The Cowboys are the same team this year that they were last year—same HC, same staff, virtually same players except QB and RB—and yet they are a total turn-around this year. That’s how franchises overcome poor ownership, poor GM, etc. They hit it rich on a couple dynamic players at critical positions, most notably QB and then at RB, and suddenly all of the previous years of their franchise’s annual futility are suddenly washed away. Then everybody wants to pat the GM on the back for how smart he was.

We won’t have a true, genuine hope for this franchise until we get our true, genuine franchise QB who can use whatever is on the roster to make game-by-game magic. Sadly the owner and GM seem to think that they’ve got their guy. But they don’t.

Nails it. Me and Squicken talksed a little on twitter last night about this same scenario where O'Brien would walk away after this seaason. I personally dont think he goes back to college though.

My worst fear is he goes somewhere in this league, brings in Savage and wrecks shit

Panthers locker room was apparently a sight to see reacting to the Cam dress code punishment thing

Easy bet if you're into the "who's getting fired" gambling stuff: Panthers FO between Dec 5 2016 and Dec 5 2017. Their ice is very thin and at least one person isn't being given until week 17 next year to freeze it back up

Mindlog

Story of the game was the Chiefs really aren't that good on offence or defence, but will take advantage of every single turnover, and they get the most turnovers in the league. And what do you know, they win the game on a turnover.
My favorite subplot: Bold Andy Reid
Nails it. Me and Squicken talksed a little on twitter last night about this same scenario where O'Brien would walk away after this seaason. I personally dont think he goes back to college though.

My worst fear is he goes somewhere in this league, brings in Savage and wrecks shit
What if that team. Is the Jags!

p8kjiejq5r1y.gif

Yesterday was fun

Syrinx

Story of the game was the Chiefs really aren't that good on offence or defence, but will take advantage of every single turnover, and they get the most turnovers in the league. And what do you know, they win the game on a turnover.

This is why the Bucs beat them. Only turned it over once. Also that crucial Smith INT in the 4th.

Plus the fact that we're doing it.

MechDX

My favorite subplot: Bold Andy Reid

What if that team. Is the Jags!

Then me and Printer become BFF's.

There was talk last year in mid season when it was "rumored" that O'Brien was on the hot seat that the Bucs would be all over him if he was let go

squicken

From a post at Battle Red Blog SB Nation:
t

I agree with a lot of that. By not benching Oswillier it sends a bad signal to the rest of the team about accountability. It's also clear from McNair's comments that is was an ownership mandated signing. O'Brien may suck it up this year but there's no way he will stay if he has to play him in 2017. I could see him choosing college over that. I doubt his contract would let him go to another NFL team

MechDX

I agree with a lot of that. By not benching Oswillier it sends a bad signal to the rest of the team about accountability. It's also clear from McNair's comments that is was an ownership mandated signing. O'Brien may suck it up this year but there's no way he will stay if he has to play him in 2017. I could see him choosing college over that. I doubt his contract would let him go to another NFL team

I dont see McNair being an ass and not letting him walk if he wants to leave. He is all about that public perception and making himself look good.

If this is true and O'Brien walks this sends a terrible message to players. Nuk walks, Clowney dont re-sign and I wonder how JJ handles it

I don't remember Bledsoe but neither Peyton nor Eli was that successful in their rookie year. Peyton really took off in year 2 or 3.

I can't speak for Eli, but Ben's mechanics and everything else really wore down in December. He was not seeing the field and his super long throwing motion started to turn up more mistakes.

I don't know if that is something that happens to all rookies or it was just Ben wearing down. I kind of wonder if the same thing will happen to Dak. Ben did not have the same luxury of just getting 6 yards per carry on every handoff that Dak has but his defense was way better (though they looked like garbage in those Giants highlights against rookie Eli).

Carson Wentz is going through the same thing - it's the rookie wall. NFL season is much longer than college and there is far more to learn. Wentz getting slammed repeatedly while his receivers have their hands up their asses and the o-line needs sorting out does the Eagles no favors.

Only rookies that have thrived have been in systems that protect them - Dak in Dallas, Ben in Pittsburgh, Russell in Seattle. I think Dak will be okay - his o-line has him baking cooking in the backfield they keep him so clean.

Did you feel like you were watching a philbin coached team yesterday?

No we were just exposed for the lack of talent we have, especially on defense. They have given up almost 1000 yards in two games. They forced our offense to be one dimensional and we never stood a chance.

Hindl

Carson Wentz is going through the same thing - it's the rookie wall. NFL season is much longer than college and there is far more to learn. Wentz getting slammed repeatedly while his receivers have their hands up their asses and the o-line needs sorting out does the Eagles no favors.

Only rookies that have thrived have been in systems that protect them - Dak in Dallas, Ben in Pittsburgh, Russell in Seattle. I think Dak will be okay - his o-line has him baking cooking in the backfield they keep him so clean.

I'm hopeful that with some actual weapons and an OL that isn't down 3-4 starters he'll improve. Between Doug, Reich, and DeFelippo I think they can fix his mechanics, especially since they looked good early in the year when Wentz had help. But he's learning bad habits, and part of this falls on Doug. He needs to stop worrying about winning the rest of the season and commit to a game plan. Wentz is struggling, and Doug is having him throw 60 (!) times a game. I don't care if next week with Washington we're down 28 points at the start of the 1st quarter. Do not stop running the ball. Do not make Wentz continue to throw to trash receivers with no OL. Doug needs to make a commitment to not have Wentz throw more than 40 passes a game for the rest of the season. No matter what. Wins are irrelevant at this point, focus on the development of your rookie QB.

Sephzilla

Even though I'm hopeful, I think Packers vs Seahawks is going to be a very frustrating game to watch as a Packer fan. Against Houston, Rodgers was doing a whole lot of that "scramble around and take way too long to deliver a pass because nobody was open even though there was someone open 3 seconds into the play that Rodgers totally missed" bullshit again. Seattle's going to be provoking that kind of shit all game because Rodgers apparently doesn't think you're open unless you have 20 yards of open field like Jordy Nelson had.

Did you guys know the Giants can't cover TEs?

Opposing tight ends have combined for 67 catches (on 108 targets) for 848 yards and three touchdowns against the Giants in 12 games this season. If those tight ends were rolled into one composite player, that man would lead all NFL tight ends in catches and yards, and be tied for 13th in touchdowns at the position.

Opposing quarterbacks have a 95.75 passer rating when targeting tight ends against the Giants this year. Quarterbacks have an overall 78.5 passer rating against defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo's group this year. Opposing tight ends have also hit the Giants for 13 explosive plays, or pass plays of 20-plus yards in length. That total does not count Bears tight end Zach Miller's 19-yard touchdown grab in the Giants' 22-16 Week 11 win, and several other long plays allowed.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/12/giants_inability_to_stop_opposing_tight_ends_summe.html

The Last Guardian review thread will be a nice read later when I need my daily sodium intake.
It's getting relatively solid scores. There's some outliers on both the high and low side but I feel like it was always going to be a divisive game. Years of pent up hype and Ueda's design edicts being the question marks for people. I mean, it's a Ueda game and its sporting the same type of intentional control design from his previous generation games that people back then were complaining about much less in 2016. That was always going to land hard in today's gaming environment of homogenized game controls or bust mentality (first person game doesn't control like Call of Duty? Well, its shit then!).

If you're a fan of his games though, it looks to have succeeded in bringing an experience in-line with Ico and SotC. Both games of which I played and enjoyed immensely so the game was always review proof for me. It's ashame the game is a bit of a technical mess though unless you have a Pro.

Frankly, I'm more bummed with how Dead Rising 4 has seemingly turned out. They've finally gutted any semblance of what made Dead Rising a unique franchise right out of the experience. It's nothing but a zombie musou, now.:/

Hunter S.

Doesn't this usually happen to the team that wins the Super Bowl the year before?

Last year it was announced in some team article that the Broncos have been the most nationally televised team since the Tebow rising year. Before that I doubt this to have been true as they went through a long period of mediocrity. The boys, always have been played over much of the nation since I was a kid.

I'm hopeful that with some actual weapons and an OL that isn't down 3-4 starters he'll improve. Between Doug, Reich, and DeFelippo I think they can fix his mechanics, especially since they looked good early in the year when Wentz had help. But he's learning bad habits, and part of this falls on Doug. He needs to stop worrying about winning the rest of the season and commit to a game plan. Wentz is struggling, and Doug is having him throw 60 (!) times a game. I don't care if next week with Washington we're down 28 points at the start of the 1st quarter. Do not stop running the ball. Do not make Wentz continue to throw to trash receivers with no OL. Doug needs to make a commitment to not have Wentz throw more than 40 passes a game for the rest of the season. No matter what. Wins are irrelevant at this point, focus on the development of your rookie QB.
You don't want your rookie dropping back 60 times behind a bad OL and throwing to garbage receivers? It is funny before the year the one selling G point for Dougie was that he would be good at developing a qb but he has actually been terrible at it. The game plan is so bad, and having Wentz just chuck it every play is a recipe for disaster.

Frankly, I'm more bummed with how Dead Rising 4 has seemingly turned out. They've finally gutted any semblance of what made Dead Rising a unique franchise right out of the experience. It's nothing but a zombie musou, now.:/

Didn't care for DR3 that much, but outside DR1's obnoxious save system even for its time I never really understood the hate for the time mechanic. The game is designed to be played over and over. We're already past zombie bullshit (someone might want to tell Activision and the COD teams...) so zombie musou in a new version of a mall sounds boring as hell.

MechDX

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard 3h3 hours ago
This is football, not an SAT test. The Giants use one formation, how many plays do you need for that?

Cy6xOYdVIAAuO-Z.jpg:large

Man. I thought Kubiaks Dennys menu was big

Gary+Kubiak+Houston+Texans+v+Denver+Broncos+1tEyA8uuw57l.jpg

Zeke

Read that Yahoo article about Wentz needing to fix his throwing motion. There's a quote in there where they asked him about it and he said he didn't think his mechanics were a problem. I hope he's just saying that to keep the media at bay and doesn't believe it. The cowboy fan in me hopes he believes it's just a bad skid and ignores it.

Read that Yahoo article about Wentz needing to fix his throwing motion. There's a quote in there where they asked him about it and he said he didn't think his mechanics were a problem. I hope he's just saying that to keep the media at bay and doesn't believe it. The cowboy fan in me hopes he believes it's just a bad skid and ignores it.

I'm so confused. I'm pretty sure some of the early comments in here stated that he's the greatest quarterback to ever come into the league!? Do you not remember how he won a couple of games and didn't throw any INTs?

Didn't care for DR3 that much, but outside DR1's obnoxious save system even for its time I never really understood the hate for the time mechanic. The game is designed to be played over and over. We're already past zombie bullshit (someone might want to tell Activision and the COD teams...) so zombie musou in a new version of a mall sounds boring as hell.
The biggest knock I had against the original DR was the abhorrent survivor AI. Outside of that, it remains one of my favorite 360 releases. I need to pick up the remaster soon.

Pepiope

I'm so confused. I'm pretty sure some of the early comments in here stated that he's the greatest quarterback to ever come into the league!? Do you not remember how he won a couple of games and didn't throw any INTs?
He still is. He's like a better version of Brady without the cheating.

squicken

Cy6xOYdVIAAuO-Z.jpg:large

That's funny. How many pages of "throw to Odell" does he need? I couldn't figure out yesterday what was going on with Shepard and Cruz. Eli was trying to use his TEs but they really need to upgrade there

Find one quote by any eagles saying anything remotely close to that, hell even pep I don't think went to overboard in the beginning. People were excited that he played well right out of the gate but he was always going to be a small school guy who played very little in college. Every single draft preview I read mentioned that he would be a work in progress. No one though 3 games meant he was sure to be great. The jury is still way out on him but he might still be good.

MechDX

Just noticed the Post It notes on the back. Like he needs more space for plays

Find one quote by any eagles saying anything remotely close to that, hell even pep I don't think went to overboard in the beginning. People were excited that he played well right out of the gate but he was always going to be a small school guy who played very little in college. Every single draft preview I read mentioned that he would be a work in progress. No one though 3 games meant he was sure to be great. The jury is still way out on him but he might still be good.

I said he would be great when the off season started last year. I stand by that

Pep was going ham....

Hindl

I guess this is what ppl are talking about?
Cy3yQ61UAAAfK7o.jpg

From Charles Robinsons twitter
https://mobile.twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/805566300114321409

Yeah that's it. Well, that and the other two common rookie errors, staring down receivers and throwing off the back foot. All of which can be fixed, sounds like the plan to sit him in the beginning of the season was the right one. And that 3-0 start was in retrospect probably the worst way to start his and Doug's career

bionic77

I agree on the wall but I disagree on Dak. It will get him too.

Though Dallas might be able to withstand it due to their running game.

squicken

Maybe I am a glutten for punishment, but the Vikings can still make the playoffs

@JAX and CHI are pretty winnable, and IND is the kind of game where Luck's gunslinger nature is going to hurt his team

@GB is the game they pretty much have to win, and I doubt they will. But it's possible. GB is pretty flawed an Peterson could be back. He would at least be a threat to hit a big play, something they don't really have right now with Diggs hobbled

I took that to mean that his INTs weren't the result of his mechanics, but his decision making, which is a true statement. He would have to be oblivious to not realize he needs to work on his mechanics since he's had his HC and QB Coach both telling him that's what they were going to work on all year before he got named starter.

The problem with all of the talk about his regressing mechanics is it's ignoring all of the other ways in which he's progressing. He's gotten significantly better at the following:

• Looking off safeties
  • Not locking on to his receivers
  • Going through his read progressions
  • Pocket awareness
  • When to the throw the ball away
  • Making the decision to pull the ball down and run with it, and at avoiding contact when he does
In my opinion he's ahead of schedule in every other category but mechanics, and that's because that's hard to fix mid-season. So not worried.

I took that to mean that his INTs weren't the result of his mechanics, but his decision making, which is a true statement. He would have to be oblivious to not realize he needs to work on his mechanics since he's had his HC and QB Coach both telling him that's what they were going to work on all year before he got named starter.

The problem with all of the talk about his regressing mechanics is it's ignoring all of the other ways in which he's progressing. He's gotten significantly better at the following:

• Looking off safeties
  • Not locking on to his receivers
  • Going through his read progressions
  • Pocket awareness
  • When to the throw the ball away
  • Making the decision to pull the ball down and run with it, and at avoiding contact when he does
In my opinion he's ahead of schedule in every other category but mechanics, and that's because that's hard to fix mid-season. So not worried.

Carson Wentz was asked about his mechanics after Sundays game:

“I don’t think it’s the mechanics,” Wentz said after Sunday’s loss. “You make mistakes. Things happen.”

squicken

Yeah that's it. Well, that and the other two common rookie errors, staring down receivers and throwing off the back foot. All of which can be fixed, sounds like the plan to sit him in the beginning of the season was the right one. And that 3-0 start was in retrospect probably the worst way to start his and Doug's career

My issue with Wentz is he stops his feet. QBs need to keep their feet moving so they can quickly reset and throw the ball. Peyton used to chop his feet, and most QBs kind of bounce on their toes. It isn't an issue when they throw on rhythm. But if they have to hold the ball it shows up

BigAT

My issue with Wentz is he stops his feet. QBs need to keep their feet moving so they can quickly reset and throw the ball. Peyton used to chop his feet, and most QBs kind of bounce on their toes. It isn't an issue when they throw on rhythm. But if they have to hold the ball it shows up

Yep. Wentz showed this a scary amount in his college tape and it was the one thing about him that stood out to me. When is forced to hesitate or go deeper through his reads than expected, he has a tendency to go full statue which can result in some big problems once you do eventually throw.

MechDX

O'Brien walks away after this season
Becomes Josh McDaniels OC in Jacksonville
Sign Tom Savage
Push the Texans shit in for the next ten years

Houston Sports!

Top Bottom