• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 17 |OT| Miami has the Dolphins...the Greatest football team...

Fox318

SxCgLnc.png

Finally a hat that represents the people and the culture of Green Bay Wisconsin

http://www.capstore.org/nfl-green-b...-Bay-Packers-Snapback-p-1899.html?cPath=1_116

this_guy

I love games and they are a serious hobby of mine but I would rather not pay more than $5 for them.

Can't decide what is more embarrassing in that thread. The Nintendo fans trying to justify Nintendo's high prices as some sort of investment or the other gamers who clearly place no real value to their supposed hobby.

Fuck I used to pay $20 for CDs back in the 90s and that was a lot of money to me back then but I did not paying for good shit.

Back in the day N64 carts could go for $80.

bionic77

Back in the day N64 carts could go for $80.
I got ChronoTrigger for $65 a week after release from my RA. I believe it retailed for $80 and I thought it was a steal.

I used to buy a lot of used SNES and NES carts back then.

It would suck to spend $50 on Aladdin or Super Star Wars or some game that I had no interest in playing after I beat (usually rented those games or got them when they were cheap). But I was more than willing to pay $60+ for games like FF3, CT, Super Metroid etc as that felt like a bargain for the experience I received.

I remember not having money and I am all for bargains but if you are really serious about your hobby you would think that you would be ok paying full price for games to support the developers. When I see people freaking out over a $10 game or $60 for a new single player game that will give 20-40 hours of content I just don't get it unless the poster is a kid or lives in a cardboard box. That is why I always feel that a lot of gamers who post here are kids. Even the poor adults I know don't fucking freak out over 10 bucks.

Greg

So, does Rodgers actually have a shot at the MVP?
Brady - suspension, record while gone
Bell - suspension
Carr - dead
Dak - Zeke, O-line
Johnson - playoffs lol
Stafford - playoffs lol, fat, Stafford
Zeke - RotY, O-line

obviously most of those are stretches, but who else am I missing?

should be Ryan with his stats/record, but people sure do like stories (Rodgers)

RBH

All things considered, I haven't really got too caught up in the Matt Ryan/MVP discussion.

It'd obviously be nice if he won it to shut down some of his critics, but my main concern is how far this Falcons team can go in the playoffs.

I'm getting pretty damn tired of Atlanta sports teams blowing it in the playoffs. It's my time to shine for a change, damn it!

bionic77

I am surprised that people still care this much about MVP in the NFL in 2016.

I would honestly be more interested in the NFL qb skills challenge and all the other shit they did during the pro bowl.

this_guy

I got ChronoTrigger for $65 a week after release from my RA. I believe it retailed for $80 and I thought it was a steal.

I used to buy a lot of used SNES and NES carts back then.

It would suck to spend $50 on Aladdin or Super Star Wars or some game that I had no interest in playing after I beat (usually rented those games or got them when they were cheap). But I was more than willing to pay $60+ for games like FF3, CT, Super Metroid etc as that felt like a bargain for the experience I received.

I remember not having money and I am all for bargains but if you are really serious about your hobby you would think that you would be ok paying full price for games to support the developers. When I see people freaking out over a $10 game or $60 for a new single player game that will give 20-40 hours of content I just don't get it unless the poster is a kid or lives in a cardboard box. That is why I always feel that a lot of gamers who post here are kids. Even the poor adults I know don't fucking freak out over 10 bucks.

Yeah back in the day I'd only buy the really good games - the ones that I can play over and over. But every weekend I'd go to the video store and rent a game for $3 (Super Nintendo/Sega Genesis days) for every other game I'd want to play. You really can't do that any more.

Sephzilla

The Rodgers vs Ryan MVP talk is tough, but I think there's a case to be made for Rodgers in that comparison.
  • Rodgers' TD/INT ratio is better than Ryan's
  • The Falcons and Packers are, most likely, going to finish the season only 1 game apart in wins/losses.
  • Ryan has a better running game than Rodgers, which means defenses aren't trying to stop just Ryan
  • Packers have a tougher strength of schedule, I believe.
  • Rodgers is a former MVP (I know this shouldn't matter, but I have a hard time believing this doesn't give him an edge)
  • Rodgers saved the Packers from imploding
But, honestly, even with my Packer fandom - Ryan should probably win the MVP. If Rodgers shows up and absolutely scorches the Lions he might steal it though.

So if all results hold, Falcons get second seed, Seahawks beat the 9ers, and GB wins...
Seahawks will get the 3rd seed, GB 4th seed...The Seahawks tie get them the 3rd seed...

Gonna be Giants vs Packers..

I don't want to see a Packers team on fire..

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I just don't see how someone can win the MVP award when 6 weeks into the season he wasn't clearly better than Blaine Gabbert.

Is it a season award or just a second half of the season award?

Sephzilla

I just don't see how someone can win the MVP award when 6 weeks into the season he wasn't clearly better than Blaine Gabbert.

Is it a season award or just a second half of the season award?

I mean, if we're going by the definition of the award - Rodgers is by far and away the most valuable player to his team compared to anyone else in the league. The Packers are literally nothing without Rodgers because they have no solid running game, no defense, their receivers (Nelson aside) are biproducts of having a solid QB, and their coach is a moron who calls a vanilla offense.

But realistically, it's just a "who's statistically the best QB" award

It's a difficult thing.

Last year, I think Cam was the single most valuable player to his team in the league (look how bad they are now when he's playing horribly!) but if it's a "Best QB" award, it should have been Wilson and if it is a "Best Player" award it should have been Watt (as it should be basically every year).

This year it would probably go

Actual Most Valuable Player : Cowardly
Best QB : Tammy or Rodgers
Best Player : Mack or Donald

Sephzilla

Matt Ryan needs to get MVP so the laughs will be even greater after another first round exit.

Matt Ryan will get his MVP trophy and there will be a giant asterisk on it saying it'll be revoked if he shits the bed in the playoffs again.

EDIT - I could actually see a split-MVP happening this year. When was the last time we had one?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's a "no consistent criteria" award.

Other than "it must be a QB".

Yeah the criteria seems to be about as arbitrary as the queen knighting someone these days. Last year was basically a tie between Russell, Palmer, and Newton for the award in my book but Newton was considered far and away the MVP. I dunno...

Blaine Gabbert is the Montana of this generation.

He's certainly the point of comparison around here!

I mean, if we're going by the definition of the award - Rodgers is by far and away the most valuable player to his team compared to anyone else in the league. The Packers are literally nothing without Rodgers because they have no solid running game, no defense, their receivers (Nelson aside) are biproducts of having a solid QB, and their coach is a moron who calls a vanilla offense.

But realistically, it's just a "who's statistically the best QB" award

Well for sure. The Packers are no better than the Bears without Rodgers. When he was playing like shit we thought the ceiling of this team was 6-10.

MechDX

It's a difficult thing.

Last year, I think Cam was the single most valuable player to his team in the league (look how bad they are now when he's playing horribly!) but if it's a "Best QB" award, it should have been Wilson and if it is a "Best Player" award it should have been Watt (as it should be basically every year).

This year it would probably go

Actual Most Valuable Player : Cowardly
Best QB : Tammy or Rodgers
Best Player : Mack or Donald

Im still salty about 2014....remove Watt from the Texans and they dont win 9 games with a first year head coach.

Ill happily put a giant fucking * by whoever wins DPOY this season as well.

*Watt injured

So if all results hold, Falcons get second seed, Seahawks beat the 9ers, and GB wins...
Seahawks will get the 3rd seed, GB 4th seed...The Seahawks tie get them the 3rd seed...

Gonna be Giants vs Packers..

I don't want to see a Packers team on fire..
Friend, there's nothing either of us can do to stop it. The Real Super Bowl will be played in 10 or so days at Lambeau Field. This is known.

Top Bottom