• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 17 |OT| Miami has the Dolphins...the Greatest football team...

cdyhybrid

I played Ocarina of Time... is that doing it?

I stopped at the Water Temple though..

XLGdT8e.gif

Caja 117

Aparently there is a deal that is going to expire between NBC and Charter on sunday, meaning is very possible Im not going to be able to watch Packs vs Lions.

I already explain why...

I couldn't piece it together CDY.. I'm sorry my 11 year old brain couldn't do it..

Floy got lost in jabu jabu lmao
I beat the whale part.. I got the iron boots, the blue tunic, and that's all I could do because I couldn't figure out the Water level bullshit.. it was the worst.

No sports bar nearby?

Wait

I have Charter

What the fuck is happening?!
Me too.. this may be the worst.

bionic77

Never really played that one since I already had a Dreamcast and was looking forward to the PS2!

I remember thinking the N64 was kind of a horrible console at the time. It was a literal Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, and Goldeneye machine.
Incorrect.

The N64 for its time was one of the best consoles I have ever had. In general that generation of gaming between the PS1 and the N64 was just amazing. So many new experiences that had never existed before. That shit did not age well because all of those innovations have been improved upon and are now commonplace but playing a Mario64, WaveRace, MGS, FF7, Zelda64, etc for the first time on release was fucking amazing.

I had a DC* and PS2 and loved both of them and they gave us modern 3D gaming, but living through it I can't discount the 32bit era. I mean Super Mario Bros is not much compared to SMW or any of the Marios that followed it, but at the time it was actually mind blowing. Looking back those are still my favorite games. The ones that provided those types of experiences. They are far and few between, but those are the ones that meant the most to me.

* I am actually surprised the DC gets so much love because it seems like it came and went in like 10 minutes. That was a pretty badass 10 minutes, but as soon as the PS2 came out it seemed like the DC was dead 5 minutes later. If you were a poor kid and bet on the DC you would think that would have brought more bad feelings about the console.

this_guy

N64 was great it's first year. That's when all the good games came out. After that it pretty much sucked. N64/PS1/Saturn generation is hard to replay games because the graphics are ugly and games run at 15 fps. It's like the Atari of 3d generation.

Super Nintendo/Sega Genesis were the best years.

jmdajr

My memories of N64 owners at the time coming over to play PSX.

"Man, I should have bought a PlayStation." Most I knew eventually caved in and bought one.

I had a Saturn before I got the PlayStation, my cousin had one though and a ton of games so I played it a lot with him and then when chrono cross came out I had to buy my own.

this_guy

"Man, I should have bought a PlayStation." Most I knew eventually caved in and bought one.

N64 had the best party games though. Mario Kart/Wave Race/Golden Eye/Wayne Gretzky Hockey were all great 4 player games. Now I know a lot of you reading this didn't have 3 other friends to play with so you wouldn't understand.

bionic77

I always got every console that I wanted.

I definitely spent more time on my PSX and had more games on it, but there were definitely more generational highlights on the N64. The PSX had a ton of garbage on it that was garbage even at the time. It was probably the best RPG machine of all time and that was my primary use for it.

If you were gaming on the budget you clearly had to go with the PS1 and you probably ate cheese for at least one meal a day. But for those who could afford a little more I think the N64 was definitely essential.

I totally missed the Saturn and that sucks because it sounds like it would have been right up my alley, but the shit was dead so quickly that I missed the boat and did not find out about how awesome it was until later.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Incorrect.

The N64 for its time was one of the best consoles I have ever had. In general that generation of gaming between the PS1 and the N64 was just amazing. So many new experiences that had never existed before. That shit did not age well because all of those innovations have been improved upon and are now commonplace but playing a Mario64, WaveRace, MGS, FF7, Zelda64, etc for the first time on release was fucking amazing.

I had a DC* and PS2 and loved both of them and they gave us modern 3D gaming, but living through it I can't discount the 32bit era. I mean Super Mario Bros is not much compared to SMW or any of the Marios that followed it, but at the time it was actually mind blowing. Looking back those are still my favorite games. The ones that provided those types of experiences. They are far and few between, but those are the ones that meant the most to me.

* I am actually surprised the DC gets so much love because it seems like it came and went in like 10 minutes. That was a pretty badass 10 minutes, but as soon as the PS2 came out it seemed like the DC was dead 5 minutes later. If you were a poor kid and bet on the DC you would think that would have brought more bad feelings about the console.

The 32/64 bit era was full of jank and was shit even at the time. I can't stand any kind of nostalgia for it because like you said, it's one of those things like watching movies on VHS, being young and single, or cheering for the Lakers that are a lot more glamorous in retrospect. Then you try those things out again and you're like "fucking thing sucks!".

You still had to use a lot of imagination for how things looked because ho boy were the graphics a pixelated mess. I remember playing some games and literally being unable to tell what was happening because it was just a big blur of jaggies (although the PS2 had this problem on occasion also due to the whole 'emotion engine' doing that shitty blur effect on games).

Meanwhile I feel like NES and SNES games never really had that problem when they aged. They are still these well done 2D games and are still incredibly playable. 3D games didn't really start to age well until shit like Final Fantasy X came out and even then your average 3D game didn't age well until like early 360 era.

I went the other way, but only because of Wrestlemania 2000/No Mercy/ WCW vs nWo World Tour. I think N64 was the best "hanging out with friends" console of all time.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
N64 had the best party games though. Mario Kart/Wave Race/Golden Eye/Wayne Gretzky Hockey were all great 4 player games. Now I know a lot of you reading this didn't have 3 other friends to play with so you wouldn't understand.

I couldn't consistently get 3 friends together until Halo and Halo 2 on Xbox was king. People were always too damn busy in high school to get regular Goldeneye parties together.

I owned it. It was also known as "my little brother's all time controller".

We don't talk anymore.

lmao

RBH

N64 is my favorite console of all time due to all of the multiplayer games in additions to the classics:

Mario Kart 64
Mario Party
Zelda
Wave Race 64
1080 Snowboarding
Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball
WCW vs. nWo World Tour
WCW vs. nWo Revenge
WWF WrestleMania 2000
WWF No Mercy
Goldeneye
The World is Not Enough
Diddy Kong Racing
Super Mario 64
Star Fox 64
Banjo Kazooie

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
N64 is my favorite console of all time due to all of the multiplayer games in additions to the classics:

Mario Kart 64
Mario Party
Zelda
Wave Race 64
1080 Snowboarding
Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball
WCW vs. nWo World Tour
WCW vs. nWo Revenge
WWF WrestleMania 2000
WWF No Mercy
Goldeneye
The World is Not Enough
Diddy Kong Racing
Super Mario 64
Star Fox 64
Banjo Kazooie

N64

Only #1 with Wrassling fans

If I bothered to make a list for the PS2 or SNES, you would weep over your list's inadequacy.

Top Bottom