• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 8 |OT| - Plays of the Week

Yeah that makes sense.

The NFL still had the highest viewership of the day though with Green Bay and Atlanta!

Also interesting to note is that SNF still won viewership amongst 18-49 year olds...well until it didn't later on.

I think it's just bad. football. There have been so many awful games. Games always improve over the season and i'm guessing they'll creep back to normal around week 12 when the playoff pushes start.

Peyton is retired, Brady was suspended for being a cheater, Rodgers is slumping, Brees' Saints are irrelevant, Carson had his one good year, Cam's play has fallen off a cliff, Russell is too busy banging Ciara to find the endzone, Rivers balls out but still loses, Giants offense looks like shit, Ben misses 4 games a season with injuries, then plays like shit against dregs when healthy.

League is transitioning.

Line_HTX

Yeah that makes sense.

The NFL still had the highest viewership of the day though with Green Bay and Atlanta!

Also interesting to note is that SNF still won viewership amongst 18-49 year olds...well until it didn't later on.

Higher stakes in a World Series Game 5 than a regular season game at night. C'mon, now.

Hindl

So for non-Eagles/Cowboys/NFC East fans, what was your thoughts of that game? Because with all the talk of how the World Series is beating it and SNF is dying, I thought objectively that was the best primetime game of the season. It was close, went back and forth, and there were a bunch of momentum shifts. The Eagles offense was kinda pitiful to watch, but objectively it seemed like an exciting game and what primetime should be.

So for non-Eagles/Cowboys/NFC East fans, what was your thoughts of that game? Because with all the talk of how the World Series is beating it and SNF is dying, I thought objectively that was the best primetime game of the season. It was close, went back and forth, and there were a bunch of momentum shifts. The Eagles offense was kinda pitiful to watch, but objectively it seemed like an exciting game and what primetime should be.

I skipped out halfway through to watch TWD, but it was a good game, lots of drama. I'm willing to bet that the NFL is praying that Wentz and Dak aren't one year wonders like RGIII was. League needs new superstars at QB.

I didn't imply anything. I outright STATED that he isn't doing it because he is being coached to get the ball out quickly, as I posted here.

He is being coached to get the ball out quickly, but you can see him making all of the reads and doing it properly. If guys were open I'm sure he'd be throwing the ball to them, but they frequently aren't. It's a shame because he showed such beautiful touch on long balls early in the season but a combination of conservative play calling, wide receivers who can't catch, and Wentz not wanting to risk WRs getting beat on routes like Agholor did against Slay.

I'm not worried about Wentz ability to make long throws whatsoever as he's already shown he could do so this season. I'm worried about the fact that there are no real opportunities for him to make them.

Crazy to see the coaches wave the white flag last night like they did on offense. It felt like everything was at the line all night. Early in the year Wentz was going deep and having some success. If they were just going to get the ball out fast to the first read every play they should have just kept chip.

squicken

Looks like the old men are watching a very unique WS game over a regular season football game. They will be back next week. But football has hit a wall as far as growth goes. I guess I would want to know about TV ratings in general and if they are falling across the board or are stabilizing

Crazy to see the coaches wave the white flag last night like they did on offense. It felt like everything was at the line all night. Early in the year Wentz was going deep and having some success. If they were just going to get the ball out fast to the first read every play they should have just kept chip.

Chip managed to get some deep shots in, only with Cooper instead of DGB

mreddie

Dammit, all I see is Dak talk

giphy.gif

Fuck this, I'm rooting for Raiders/Falcons Super Bowl.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Higher stakes in a World Series Game 5 than a regular season game at night. C'mon, now.

It's not that obvious given baseball's severe decline. I just think there are several factors at play other than people just really liking the Cubs and the Indians. Remember when the White Sox played the Astros? Although it probably didn't help that that wasn't a competitive series.

Like Deacon said, the NFL is way down this year.

I think it's just bad. football. There have been so many awful games. Games always improve over the season and i'm guessing they'll creep back to normal around week 12 when the playoff pushes start.

Peyton is retired, Brady was suspended for being a cheater, Rodgers is slumping, Brees' Saints are irrelevant, Carson had his one good year, Cam's play has fallen off a cliff, Russell is too busy banging Ciara to find the endzone, Rivers balls out but still loses, Giants offense looks like shit, Ben misses 4 games a season with injuries, then plays like shit against dregs when healthy.

League is transitioning.

Yeah looking back, apparently the highest rated Sunday Night Football game was Peyton Manning playing on the Broncos against the Colts back in 2013.

I didn't realize Goddell came out and actually said that they're going to look at practicing and a developmental league during the next CBA talks in 2020.

I think the schedulers need to do a better job of getting good matchups into the primetime slots even if that means flex schedules from week 2 honestly. In exchange, they might need to give MNF and TNF the first picks for matchups (instead of second and...fourth? respectively) when they do the scheduling since those can't be flexed very easily.

Looks like the old men are watching a very unique WS game over a regular season football game. They will be back next week. But football has hit a wall as far as growth goes. I guess I would want to know about TV ratings in general and if they are falling across the board or are stabilizing

That's the million dollar question that I'm dancing around I think. Was the ratings decline inevitable because the last few seasons plateaued?

It's not that obvious given baseball's severe decline. I just think there are several factors at play other than people just really liking the Cubs and the Indians. Remember when the White Sox played the Astros? Although it probably didn't help that that wasn't a competitive series.

Like Deacon said, the NFL is way down this year.

Yeah looking back, apparently the highest rated Sunday Night Football game was Peyton Manning playing on the Broncos against the Colts back in 2013.

I didn't realize Goddell came out and actually said that they're going to look at practicing and a developmental league during the next CBA talks in 2020.

I think the schedulers need to do a better job of getting good matchups into the primetime slots even if that means flex schedules from week 2 honestly. In exchange, they might need to give MNF and TNF the first picks for matchups (instead of second and...fourth? respectively) when they do the scheduling since those can't be flexed very easily.

That's the million dollar question that I'm dancing around I think. Was the ratings decline inevitable because the last few seasons plateaued?

I think the league needs to realize that their shit stinks sometimes. Look at the TNF lineup. Titans vs. Jags. Seriously?!

I know personally I vowed not to watch the Bears in primetime as long as Cutler was still QB1. He's awful and the games are always bad when he plays.

Line_HTX

Man, and I thought Houston had way too many night games...

Why the fuck does Chicago always have fucking more night games when they don't deserve it?

Chip managed to get some deep shots in, only with Cooper instead of DGB

Chip was able to get deep shots in because the pace of his offense let poor quality receivers get open more against defenses since they had less time to get set. That was at the complete expense of his own defense due to time of possession. I wouldn't trade back at all. The answer is to get better talent, not to blow up your defense's ability to play a good game.

JABEE

I don't know. I don't think baseball should beat Sunday Night Football Eagles-Cowboys. I don't care if the Yankees are playing the Dodgers in the WS.

World Series Game 5 beating a premiere non-regional Sunday Night NFL game, let alone, Cowboys vs Eagles is a sign of decline.

Maybe the ceiling has been reached for the NFL and apathy has set in. Something needs to be done about football. More and more, I think people are fed up with how rigid, corporate the game has become.

People watch these games to be entertained and excited. When you watch a great play and a magnificent effort and your first concern is, there are no penalties, right?

Something is wrong with your game.

Paul Schwartz ‏@NYPost_Schwartz 26m26 minutes ago Manhattan, NY
All hands on deck. All 53 Giants on field for first practice after bye week.

The return of the safeties (Thompson and Berhe) is great news and much needed to get the defense stabilized.

Curious to see how the RT situation plays out with Newhouse now practicing. I think they stick with Bobby Hart, personally.

Hindl

I skipped out halfway through to watch TWD, but it was a good game, lots of drama. I'm willing to bet that the NFL is praying that Wentz and Dak aren't one year wonders like RGIII was. League needs new superstars at QB.

Yeah I think this will be a long rivalry barring a catastrophic injury. RG3's early success was all built around running an offense like he did when he was in college. He was overly concerned with his brand over getting better at football, and just hit a wall, injury or not. Meanwhile, Dak and Wentz both are hard workers and very humble, and both are running pro style offenses with full control over the team. Between Wentz, Dak, Carr, Winston (and maybe Mariota?), the young QB situation looks vastly better than it did a year ago. It'll dip in quality compared to a few years ago, but we have to realize we had Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rivers, and Big Ben all playing at the same time. We just had an era of unprecedented QB talent, and now we're regressing back a bit, which is alright to me.

Zeke

Local radio guy saying Mo's groin injury is probably a sports hernia. I feel bad for the guy he had been playing lights out for us this year and really looked like player we thought he could be. That's huge loss for the secondary.

Chip was able to get deep shots in because the pace of his offense let poor quality receivers get open more against defenses since they had less time to get set. That was at the complete expense of his own defense due to time of possession. I wouldn't trade back at all. The answer is to get better talent, not to blow up your defense's ability to play a good game.
People always blame chips pace for the D's problems but what was the excuse for them collapsing last night?

JABEE

I don't even know if that is enough. I think the problem is the NFL refined their product and changed it in ways that demonstrably made the game less entertaining for viewers. They have damaged the product beyond something one or two marquee players can solve.

The number of games they have spread across the week has also made it more difficult for the fans to know they will see a good match. There are more chances of wasting your time on a dud game than a good match.

It's one of the unique things that used to separate the NFL from the NBA/NHL/MLB. There was quality control. Teams didn't get National games because the NFL guaranteed every team would get one. No one wants to watch the Jaguars play the Titans or the Browns play the Buccaneers.

The NFL is greedy and overstepped their bounds. They tried to perfect their product in a way to mitigate costs and protect what they perceived as the value of their brand and they made the game sterile.

The players are trying their best to entertain, but the league wants to remove all emotion from the game. They own the field, they own the air time, they own the player celebrations, they would own the warm-up gear, they own the headsets, they own the clothes coaches wear on the sideline, they own the gifs, they own the team websites, they own the team twitter, and they own the networks.

I don't believe the league will continue to grow like it once did. We just lived through the NFL's golden years.

People always blame chips pace for the D's problems but what was the excuse for them collapsing last night?

Collapsing? Losing a game in overtime is a collapse now? Against the highest ranked team in the NFC on the road? After holding the leagues leading rusher to his lowest yardage game in five weeks? With a starting DT, starting CB and backup CB out and using a Safety as slot corner?

Explain how you think the defense would have done better if the time of possession was another 10-15 minutes in Dallas favor with a power running game and that offensive line. The Eagles lost a tough game against a talented team, mostly because of bad 4th quarter play calling by the coach and a fumble by the RB.

I think Thursday Night Football is the single most damaging "product" that the NFL has wrought upon its brand above all of the issues that have been already mentioned. You can argue that the NFL trying to litigate celebrations, big hits, etc. have sucked some of the enjoyment out of the game and there's a fair point to be made there but TNF is an abomination. Not only in the quality of the respective product on the field every week (which is terrible), but the toll that it takes on NFL players health in a 16 game season and the overall preparedness that a team comes into these games with in a short week. It's just bad and it needs to end. I don't believe that there is a football fan in the world that would miss it.

I think Thursday Night Football is the single most damaging "product" that NFL has wrought upon its brand above all of the issues that have been already mentioned. You can argue that the NFL trying to litigate celebrations, big hits, etc. have sucked some of the enjoyment out of the game and there's a fair point to be made there but TNF is an abomination. Not only in the quality of the respective product on the field every week which is terrible, but the toll that it takes on NFL players health in a 16 game season and the overall preparedness that a team comes into these games with in a short week.

It needs to end.

I agree with this. It's just a bad idea in general. That needs to go away soon.

JABEE

Squicken needs to stop hating on the Eagles.

He used to be one of our guys. Then the Eagles traded Bradford for a first and potentially a 2nd and he can't stop shitting on our beloved Carson Wentz!

Why do you do this, Squicken? Why?

WedgeX

Banned
I think Thursday Night Football is the single most damaging "product" that the NFL has wrought upon its brand above all of the issues that have been already mentioned. You can argue that the NFL trying to litigate celebrations, big hits, etc. have sucked some of the enjoyment out of the game and there's a fair point to be made there but TNF is an abomination. Not only in the quality of the respective product on the field every week (which is terrible), but the toll that it takes on NFL players health in a 16 game season and the overall preparedness that a team comes into these games with in a short week. It's just bad and it needs to end. I don't believe that there is a football fan in the world that would miss it.

Yep. Only Thursday games should be the Thanksgiving Day games. And those should really only happen if each team gets a bye the week prior.

MechDX

While I agree TNF is terrible I think the domestic abuse issues and how it is handled hurts the league a lot more in the publics opinion.

JABEE

I also think there was value in knowing that if you watched an NFL game in primetime, you would be entertained or you would get a good match.

The NFL has diluted their product. I don't think they have enough good match-ups to necessitate a Thursday Night Game.

They have essentially killed Monday Night Football too with the carte blanche NBC, FOX, and CBS have to take the games they want.

MNF going to Cable has been a step-back for the NFL. It's weird for a league with as much control as they have or wish to have to allow that name and that promotion to die on the vine.

It would be like the NHL neglecting Hockey Night in Canada.

Collapsing? Losing a game in overtime is a collapse now? Against the highest ranked team in the NFC on the road? After holding the leagues leading rusher to his lowest yardage game in five weeks? With a starting DT, starting CB and backup CB out and using a Safety as slot corner?

Explain how you think the defense would have done better if the time of possession was another 10-15 minutes in Dallas favor with a power running game and that offensive line. The Eagles lost a tough game against a talented team, mostly because of bad 4th quarter play calling by the coach and a fumble by the RB.

The defense giving up 17 points at the end of the game is the collapse part. My point was that people would always point to the time of possession as the reason for the D playing so poorly down the stretch in games last year, but here we are and they are doing the same stuff this year. Maybe all that money that got thrown at guys like Curry and Ertz, who both fucking suck btw, would have been better used to bring in some good Cb's and not a bunch of Bills castoffs.

Top Bottom